Bombed Step 1, now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoulinNeed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am sorry that you are going through this, and do not believe it is close to the end of the road for you if your step score is your only red flag. You go to a top 5 med school, which gives you a huge advantage when applying to IM programs. Do the best you can during your clinical years, subI, and do the best you can on step II CK. Your school can better advise you as they likely have statistics regarding how people with your step scores match... my suspicion is remarkably well.

Got a 205. I go to a top 5 med school (if you can believe it). I'm interested in IM (possibly for Cardio), PM&R, Anesthes. I don't care about prestige of program (not that I can, lol). I just want to match in Chicago, or somewhere nearby. Do I have a decent chance? I also have a research project done, but didn't amount to any pubs.

Try to get at least one pub in the coming year even if it's just a chart review

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure that's possible with my current rotations schedule.
Yes it is. Chart review or clinical research for a medical student is doable.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes it is. Chart review or clinical research for a medical student is doable.
Yeah, that's what I was told before. Ended up doing weeks worth of chart reviews, and nothing came of it. God, I hate research.

Yeah, that's what I was told before. Ended up doing weeks worth of chart reviews, and nothing came of it. God, I hate research.

Yeah depends on your PI I guess. Ive had some that are saying to get it back by the end of the month and some that say do it before you graduate.

Got a 205. I go to a top 5 med school (if you can believe it). I'm interested in IM (possibly for Cardio), PM&R, Anesthes. I don't care about prestige of program (not that I can, lol). I just want to match in Chicago, or somewhere nearby. Do I have a decent chance? I also have a research project done, but didn't amount to any pubs.

Plenty of programs in Chicago including some halfway decent community hospitals.

I would think a solid step 2 and good clinical rotation grades/letters should net you plenty of lower-mid tier IM interviews

I think if you follow it up with a 240-250 Step 2 CK you will be ok. Just take CK early. If you have solid grades and stuff you will be fine. IM you will get a program, maybe not a top program but will get a spot. Anes, will probably need what I mentioned above. PMR, you are good.