About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bon Secours/Hoboken University Medical Center

Discussion in 'Podiatric Residents & Physicians' started by Ankle Breaker, Jun 15, 2012.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Ankle Breaker

Ankle Breaker Senior Member

Podiatry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Can anyone comment on the quality of training at this program? Seems like they get a lot of trauma and opportunity to do RF reconstruction. How many ankles are podiatry residents doing in comparison to the ortho residents?

Any positive or negative information about the program is welcomed.

Thanks in advance
  2. PADPM

PADPM

Attending Physician
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Sorry, but I don't know much about the program. However, I was speaking with a student who spent some time in our office and she said she spent time at the Aria program in Philadelphia and that there was a TON of trauma. I personally know Justin Fleming and he's a great guy and I believe he's the one bringing in the trauma cases since he's with an ortho group with a huge presence at that hospital. A long time colleague of mine is on staff at Aria and he confirmed that Justin really turned the program around and the residents are exposed to a large number of trauma cases.

So Aria may be worth looking into, and I believe you asked about Kennedy in a prior post, and since that program is in southern NJ, Aria may be in the geographic area you want.
  3. Ankle Breaker

Ankle Breaker Senior Member

Podiatry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks PADPM. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my posts. I always try and reach out to the programs im interested in but sometimes I don't always get a response. I know Bon Secours was recommended by Krabmas awhile ago after doing a search on these forums but since she no longer posts I have no way of getting a better idea of what the program is all about. Unless some NYCPM students want to comment?

I will def look into Aria.
  4. PADPM

PADPM

Attending Physician
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I believe they have an externship. If things go well and you like the program, let me know. Since one of my colleagues has been on staff there for many years, I've met many of the attendings at seminars, etc. and have become friendly with some of them. If you're interested in the future, I will see if there is anything I can do to help.
  5. newankle

newankle Senior Member

Podiatrist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I agree. I'm partial to Presby but I also know Dr. Fleming very well and he is one of the best teachers/surgeons I know and although Aria may not have the big name, you would get great exposure and training there. I trained under Dr. Downey and I view Justin as a mini-Downey. Very well respected by those who know.
  6. PADPM

PADPM

Attending Physician
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I know Mike Downey very well professionally and personally. As I'm sure you've read on this forum many times, I think extremely highly of Mike as a doctor, surgeon and person. He is a rare breed. Similarly, I know Justin very well through my friend on staff at Aria, and he is an ace. No attitude, no ego, great work ethic and great skills.

I never knew you trained "under" Mike, and although I've always respected you in the past, I now have even a greater respect for you. Just don't let Mike know how much you're making, he may get jealous!!!!!
  7. sunnypod

sunnypod

Podiatry Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    At the Hoboken program, they actually do a lot of ankles! There are no ortho residents, everything that comes through the ER below the knee goes to podiatry. They do a lot of surgeries at surgery centers. The problem with this program is that the hospital is very very old, and from what I've heard no one has been talking about a renovation. The only residents at the hospital are family practice and podiatry.