Bone tumors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

malleolusman

keeping it real since 1981
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone encountered any bone tumors in practice or residency?

If so, I am curious as to how you handled it. Do we go ahead and biopsy if the patient is symptomatic or do we punt to oncology?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone encountered any bone tumors in practice or residency?

If so, I am curious as to how you handled it. Do we go ahead and biopsy if the patient is symptomatic or do we punt to oncology?

Thanks

Generally I will get an MRI and see what the radiologists think about the "tumor". If there is even a hint of potential malignancy, I send the patient to an oncologist, but also order a full body bone scan to skip a step and have something available for the oncologist when the patient shows up.

If it doesn't seem malignant, there are a few ways to handle this. The most cautious of them is to do a fine needle aspiration or trephine bone biopsy and send it to path for evaluation. If it a large tumor in a hindfoot bone or a defect in one of the forefoot bones, that usually will go to the OR for curettage and packing with some type of orthobiologic material.

That's the very basic gist of it.

Generally I will get an MRI and see what the radiologists think about the "tumor". If there is even a hint of potential malignancy, I send the patient to an oncologist, but also order a full body bone scan to skip a step and have something available for the oncologist when the patient shows up.

If it doesn't seem malignant, there are a few ways to handle this. The most cautious of them is to do a fine needle aspiration or trephine bone biopsy and send it to path for evaluation. If it a large tumor in a hindfoot bone or a defect in one of the forefoot bones, that usually will go to the OR for curettage and packing with some type of orthobiologic material.

That's the very basic gist of it.

beat me to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good question... Kidsfeet is right. If it's benign, you can manage it surgically (biopsy, excis, recon, etc) with follow up (body scan, repeat imaging, etc) or conservatively. You want to do whatever the oncologist, radiologist, etc reasonably recommend to you. You have to go read case reports/series on the tumor, read larger studies if you can find them (unlikely for most), etc.

If it's malignant (any grade, but esp high grade malignant or malignant in peds), I'd say punt as fast as you can. You should be getting an oncology consult for all but the most clearly benign adult tumors just to CYA. For malignant ones, if there's an ortho oncologist in your area (we are fortunate in East Det Metro... I think there's only 50-75 in the country, and we have a very good one, who we even get to rotate with), then that's really the gold standard for ultimate mgmt of osseous malignancies. If not, maybe just send to the best local surg oncologist... or think about a tertiary referral.

Supposing you are practicing on an island in podunk, USA with no surg onc (just heme/onco or something) and you have good training, then you could manage a lower grade bone malignancy surgery. Still, many hands makes the casket lighter... you always want to CYA in my opinion. In that situation, I'd probably make the tertiary referral and tell the patient to "drive to the big city," though. High grade malignancy? No question.

Baiscally, in my eyes (pgy2, but a pretty brash one at that), the times to punt are the following:
-whenever you're beyond your comfort zone (back to the 4 pillars of good surgeons: ed/training, interest/motivation, hand skills, and balls)
-high energy trauma (depends on your training, but watch out for high energy fx that are doomed to bad results and/or borderline outta scope)
-malignancies or agressive benign stuff (explained above)
-peds cases (this is mostly a medical-legal thing, a financial loss, saving your sanity with crazy parents, and usually a training thing also)

...Punting doesn't have to mean to a non-DPM, but it usually does. The major, major trauma usually goes to ortho trauma (who gets paid to take call and carrys badass malpractice to cover themself). The tumors usually to surg onc (ortho onc if available since there's no organs like a liver or lung in the foot). The peds usually go to pedi ortho. If there's a skilled DPM in your area who focuses on the type of cases you are about to punt, then that's an option. FYI, those DPMs are typically in academic centers where they have a lot of research/experience to stand on... and they are also usually hospital employees with a team of super lawyers to minimize their risk, relative to everyday Joe Private Practice, DPM.

...Don't forget that America runs on money and lawyers. It might be fun for your ego (or even good for pts) to stick your neck out, but Dewey, Cheadum, and Hau Law Firm will always be waiting to drop the guillotine. You sometimes have gotta decide (unless you are a real academic bubble DPM) if the ego trip of doing a tough, tough case is potentially worth losing your beach house... or worse ;)

-peds cases (this is mostly a medical-legal thing, a financial loss, saving your sanity with crazy parents, and usually a training thing also)

The peds usually go to pedi ortho.

I seriously hope no podiatrist is punting peds foot and ankle stuff to ped ortho. Just about every community has a DPM who can help with even complicated peds foot and ankle management (Not talking about tumors here).

My 2 cents.

I seriously hope no podiatrist is punting peds foot and ankle stuff to ped ortho. Just about every community has a DPM who can help with even complicated peds foot and ankle management (Not talking about tumors here).

My 2 cents.

Feli said:
...Punting doesn't have to mean to a non-DPM...

... If there's a skilled DPM in your area who focuses on the type of cases you are about to punt, then that's an option...

If there's a skilled DPM in your area who focuses on the type of cases you are about to punt, then that's an option.

Dealing with the pediatric patient is not case related, it's population related. If you're not comfortable or practiced at dealing with this population for surgical intervention in general, ALL of those patients should be going to someone else in the profession with experience in dealing with that specific population imho. I'm not talking about handling ingrown toenails or Sever's Disease here. Every one of us should be comfortable dealing with those ailments I would think.

If it's malignant (any grade, but esp high grade malignant or malignant in peds), I'd say punt as fast as you can. You should be getting an oncology consult for all but the most clearly benign adult tumors just to CYA. For malignant ones, if there's an ortho oncologist in your area (we are fortunate in East Det Metro... I think there's only 50-75 in the country, and we have a very good one, who we even get to rotate with), then that's really the gold standard for ultimate mgmt of osseous malignancies. If not, maybe just send to the best local surg oncologist... or think about a tertiary referral.

Supposing you are practicing on an island in podunk, USA with no surg onc (just heme/onco or something) and you have good training, then you could manage a lower grade bone malignancy surgery. Still, many hands makes the casket lighter... you always want to CYA in my opinion. In that situation, I'd probably make the tertiary referral and tell the patient to "drive to the big city," though. High grade malignancy? No question.

The tumors usually to surg onc (ortho onc if available since there's no organs like a liver or lung in the foot).

Don't forget all sarcomas should be sent to an orthopaedic oncologist if you do not have the training and comfort with their management. Unless it is a clear cut need for wide surgical resection (i.e. amputation, which isn't always a "safe" answer). Failure to recognize a lesion as a sarcoma and performing the wrong surgery can have disastrous results for patients. Additionally, the proper workup needs to be performed. Please, please, please do not send osseous malignancies or sarcomas to a general surgical oncologist. There is a disturbing pattern in the ortho onc office of masses in extremities removed by gen/onc surgeons that turn out to be malignant and they have done a disservice to the patient by not following the correct principles of sarcoma management because they have not been trained to know them.