Books for improving reading comprehension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yalla22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of "good books to read" threads but i'm wondering which books i should read to improve my verbal ability. I will start reading economist and atl monthly, etc but i really enjoy reading books...

let the suggestions roll :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

yalla22 said:
I know there are a lot of "good books to read" threads but i'm wondering which books i should read to improve my verbal ability. I will start reading economist and atl monthly, etc but i really enjoy reading books...

let the suggestions roll :thumbup:

books by robert jordan (the wheel of time series) are just about the best verbal prep you'll find..not only are they long, they are detailed, which trains you to remember what you've read, they give you marathon reading skills, and they're interesting (after the first 100 or so pages of the first book, you're hooked)....also, there's verbiage that you won't find in run-of-the-mill books......
anyway, good prep overall...
the best prep, however, is Harper's magazine...(not harper's bazaar).....

From what I've heard others say and seen, most of the passages aren't really interesting to the average joe/jane. It's usually some arcane topic or subject area.

Don't take that to mean that you should find the most boring / uninteresting material out there and try to focus. Rather, most folks would agree that just read a lot - variety is always good (i.e. variety in subject areas).

Good Luck,
-Y_Marker

Members don't see this ad :)
how about "mein kampf" everyone red-blooded American should memorize every word in that book. my friend, mr. ashcroft, says he'll take the book to his grave :smuggrin:

Laters, Y'ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

camstah, have you always had that avatar? Just curious :D

penguinol said:
camstah, have you always had that avatar? Just curious :D

penguinol........from one smart texan to another..........HI!!!!!!!!!!!!

penguinol said:
hiya W. :>

hmm, just wondering here. have we kicked all negroes outta austin yet? i was getting close when i was workin there.

LATERS, sonnie!!!!!!!!1

any others??

georgebush43 said:
how about "mein kampf" everyone red-blooded American should memorize every word in that book. my friend, mr. ashcroft, says he'll take the book to his grave :smuggrin:

Laters, Y'ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow, just wow... :(

The hot zone, the invisible people, the wanting seed, the color of water, and scientific america

I read John Keegan's books on history of warfare before. One of the VR passage I did before actually is an excerpt from the book. How funny... His writing is both dense and though provoking. A good reading