books for new psychiatry residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

croaker3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am an intern trying to find books that I should be reading. I read the sticky and still wasn't quite sure, and wanted to get ppls thoughts. These wouldn't be so much carry-around-ward books, but rather reference books when I am confused about topics.

1. dsm v - There are two books, the actual dsmv (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition: DSM-5 ) and desk reference (
Desk Reference to the Diagnostic Criteria from DSM-5(TM) ). Would it be better to get the desk reference? or what does the full version have that the desk reference does not?

2. Pharm book - have heard multiple opinions. Stahls vs Handbook of Psychiatric Drug Therapy. I'd also like a book that has references to what's being told to me if that exists (e.g. antidepressants take 4-6 wks to work fully...show me the clinical trial. I know red book has this but its for everything).

3. General reference book - I've heard kaplan and saddocks is good and they just had a new edition released. wasn't sure if there were better ideas.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.