Books for residency/ pre-residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulieAnne

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to start an OB/GYN residency this year (well, we will see next week...) and would like some advice on what to read before residency begins. I've been less than a good student this year, and my OB/GYN rotations are a distant memory now. So I guess I'm looking for general reviews or just to start with the basics so that I will have something to offer my patients on the first day other than a blank stare! Any advise??
Also,
Is anyone using internship survival guides / pocket guides for interns with general info and quick answers for common on-call issues? Any other pocket guides or reference books I should think about investing in?
I need to palliate my "Oh my god I'M going to be a doctor" jitters with some high yield info!
thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Its good to see a fellow Vermonter on the forum!

I'm sticking with Pre-Test (Ob-Gyn) just for review sakes, and Williams for more technical reading. I've got to admit that Williams is not exactly a "fun"read! I also tried alot of Women's Health websites for fun reading on new research and related stuff.

Good Luck next year!

Originally posted by Global Disrobal
Its good to see a fellow Vermonter on the forum!

I'm sticking with Pre-Test (Ob-Gyn) just for review sakes, and Williams for more technical reading. I've got to admit that Williams is not exactly a "fun"read! I also tried alot of Women's Health websites for fun reading on new research and related stuff.

Good Luck next year!

Williams is alot more fun than reading Gabbe!!!!

For pocket books the little red Obstetrics Gynecology and infertility has lots of info for the price!
Good luck on thursday I will be in your shoes next year

Members don't see this ad :)
The name of the little red book is Obstetrics Gynecology and infertility, Handbook for Clinicians, Resident Survival Guide. The ISBN # is 0-9645467-6-0.
It is chock full of information and was only about 15 bucks from Amazon.com, it even has a spanish primer for us poor unfortunate mono-language people.

Thanks a million for the info!

By the way, you had posted on another thread a question about the Pensacola program. The other poster never replied, but I was wondering what your thoughts on the program were.

Thanks again and good luck next year with the match!

The program is pretty high on my list right now. I am planning on doing an audition rotatation there in the fall. I like the location, I have heard good things about the faculty and their numbers look pretty good.
I went to a conference at Sacred Heart several years ago and was impressed with the cleanliness of the place and the overall layout of the facility.
What are your thoughts on it?

The "little red book" is a must-have for residency! For a good general overview I still pull out my Lange Current series book on OB/Gyn.

Before buying the big books, see where you match and what their book policy is. Some programs will give you the big names, and some you can get from drug reps. We get a set amount of money every year and I spent half of mine on TeLinde's Operative Gynecology (another must have).

Some like Gabbe, others prefer Williams. Your program will probably prefer one over the other, but you really don't have to have both. TeLinde's is awesome, and I would also recommend a general gyn textbook like Novak's.

If you really want to review and have some money to spend, I would spend $95 (for ACOG members) and get the Prolog questions on OB. It was released last year and so you may not get it otherwise until your 4th yr (each different section gets released per year).

Two more weeks as the OB intern... three months until PGY-2!!!

Trillgirl

Thanks for your suggestions!
julie