Books for Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDMD243.0

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our program currently uses Weedon, Bolognia, Habif, Hurwitz, Wolverton as primary texts and has an annual stipend for purchasing additional supplemental texts.

I'm suggesting replacing Weedon with Elston dermpath (2nd edition, 12/2013) and Jain review book.

Was also wondering if anyone had ideas for better surgery book than Habif or any other comments/suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Our program currently uses Weedon, Bolognia, Habif, Hurwitz, Wolverton as primary texts and has an annual stipend for purchasing additional supplemental texts.

I'm suggesting replacing Weedon with Elston dermpath (2nd edition, 12/2013) and Jain review book.

Was also wondering if anyone had ideas for better surgery book than Habif or any other comments/suggestions.

For board purposes, knowing Bolognia cold is enough

For actual practice, nothing beats just simply logging time on your surgical rotations. As a 1st year resident, I found the ASDS primer to provide good basic information (https://www.asds.net/store/product.aspx?id=3914). For those who have difficulty envisioning/drawing out the various flaps, our program liked this textbook a lot (http://store.elsevier.com/Flaps-and-Grafts-in-Dermatologic-Surgery/Thomas-Rohrer/isbn-9781416003168/)

I could be wrong, but Habif isn't a surgery book is it? I thought it was more a clinical dermatology textbook.

Weedon is a ridiculous amount of information to process for someone who is not going into Dermatopathology. Most people I know in residency have used Practical Dermatopathology by Rapini (464 pages). The book you selected is 460 pages so they're both good primers of dermpath, to where it's not necessary to have the extensive level of detail that a Weedon's or McKee's has.

The book we use for surgery is Surgery of Skin: Procedural Dermatology by June Robinson, but I would say asmallchild's recommendations are much better. You're actually very lucky if you have a surgical Derm faculty member that actually lets you do stuff.

Last edited:
I love McKee. But then again I want to do dermpath. Rapini is just an atlas it isn't nearly extensive enough IMO. I feel like it's using baby Fitz as a clinical textbook. I love his section on stains though