Books for Surgical Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel that my anatomy is relatively weak,and have a couple of fairly easy months coming up where I would really like to nail my anatomy down. I have the new version of Last's Regional and Applied anatomy (a british book, so I don't know how many on here will have used that...) and Netter of course. Any other suggestions for getting the basics?

Also, once I've gotten through these and have the basics firmly laid back down, where do you suggest (book-wise) that I go from here? Especially in the direction of more surgically relevant anatomy texts?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

anyone know anything about the new maingot's, mastery, and shackelford's?

All three are coming out in december according to amazon. I would like to buy only one and was wondering if anyone has seen any reviews or advanced copies?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you too busy checking off boxes on your list and getting the scut done:

New editions have recently been released for Marino's ICU book and the Rush Manual. Both are excellent and relatively easy reads.

Oxford Textbook
sabistob text book
gale encyclopedia
is wht i am using

My prior impression was that the difference between Cameron & Sabiston was mainly that Cameron is easier to read, whereas Sabiston tends to be a little more convoluted and detailed ... and thus Cameron is the better choice for students & interns. However, several people have noted that Cameron is more suitable for upper levels because it focuses on "what to do", whereas Sabiston covers the fundamental science/physio as well. Plus, several people have noted that the new Sabiston has a better layout, and is easier to read than precious editions.

So as a PGY-1 or 2, will the new Sabiston give me a more solid foundation, and cover the whys & hows of various disorders & treatments?

Q1) What is better for the 1st year - cameron or sabiston and why?

Q2) Any book covering and explaining post-op management and orders for various surgical problems....the basic stuff that the intern is required to do

Q3) Book to understand CT/MRI/X-rays better...

Q1) What is better for the 1st year - cameron or sabiston and why?

Q2) Any book covering and explaining post-op management and orders for various surgical problems....the basic stuff that the intern is required to do

Q3) Book to understand CT/MRI/X-rays better...

1. Sabiston will prepare you better for the ABSITE. Cameron is more clinical. Overall, Sabiston is better for an intern, but you should eventually have both.

2. I hate to recommend anything here, as it will turn into a paperweight a few months after you start, but alot of the basic stuff is in the Washington Manual Surgery survival guide (I linked it in Surgical06's thread about 4th year reading material).

3. You got me there. I think being on trauma is the best way to learn.

ps Congratulations on matching at Creighton. Omaha is my hometown and I'm a Creighton Prep alum. I know nothing about the program itself, but PM me if you have any questions about the city. Overall, it's a great place to live IMFAO.

Bibles:
Cameron's Current Surgical Therapy
Greenfield
Sabiston's Atlas of General Surgery
Schwartz

Intern books:
Surgical Recall
NMS Surgery
Mont Reid Surgical Handbook
Cope's Diagnosis of the Acute Abdomen
Cleveland Clinic - Surgical Patient Management and Surgical Intensive Care
Intern survival guide
Washington manual Surgery survival guide

ICU books
Fluid and Electrolytes in the Surgical Patient: Carlos Pestana
The ICU Book: Paul L. Marino
Lange Current Critical Care, Diagnosis and Treatment
ICU Intern Survival Guide
Critical Care of the Massachusetts General Hospital

Atlas’s:/Technique
Zollinger $150
Skandalakis and Skandalakis
Fischer - Mastery of Surgery: two volumes
Chassin - Operative Strategies in General Surgery
ACS Surgery

Absite books
…the Basis Science Section of Greenfield
Absite Killer by adam Lipkins
Rush Review
Mich State Review
The Surgical Review, Alturi et al
The Absite Review:by Stephen Fiser
Pass The Absite (Q&A)
SESAP -Surgical Education and Self Assessment Program: from the ACS
Surgical basic science: from UPENN

Hey thanks will PM u soon regarding Omaha :)

For the intern books, which intern survival guide is being referred to in the whole thread?

http://www.amazon.com/Surgical-Inte...1352856?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174542107&sr=1-5

or

http://www.amazon.com/Surgery-Survi...1352856?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174542107&sr=1-1

or

http://www.amazon.com/Washington-Ma...1352856?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174542209&sr=1-1

How do Chassin - Operative Strategies in General Surgery and Zollinger stack up head-to-head? Besides the obvious difference in price.

hi,

i'm going to be a 4th yr going into gen surg, and I wanted to ask:

1) what would be the best uptodate tiny handbook to carry in your pocket during sub-I and also for your residency?

2) what PDA books do you recommend?

THANKS!

hi,

just wondering when in your residency you take ABSITE?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey

There is some nice list for the major textbooks ..
but wut do u recommned for the subspecialities
i am starting with vascular and then going into peds..which books( handbooks/ texts) and any other advice would you seniors like to give.
Thanx

How do Chassin - Operative Strategies in General Surgery and Zollinger stack up head-to-head? Besides the obvious difference in price.

Chassin's is what, 150 bucks. It's got more text. Z+Z in my recollection is mostly a cookbook. Chassin's also takes the time to warn you about pitfalls and critical mistakes.

Also, after many many years, a new edition of Maingot's abdominal operations is out but it's like 300 bucks. 10th ed, which was revised back in the 90's, I really enjoyed reading it for open procedures.

Aside from a good basic science book (greenfield/schwartz/sabiston) I'd wait till you get a chance to read what's in your library or housestaff office or whatever before committing to buying. The basic science book, a quick phone call to your housestaff office should help you identify what book, if any, is 'officially' adopted by your program, or if you are going to show up to orientation and be given a bag of books.

Remember the ABSITE has been revised in recent years. Low levels (PGY 1, 2, and 3?) are basic science heavy. PGY 4-5 are clinical heavy. I did well just reading cameron for 4-5 and doing SESAP.

If money's your constraint, does the 20 dollar resident membership still get you online access to ACS surgery? That's a decent alternative to greenfield et al. I have a few friends who swear their ABSITE scores went up a lot when they switched to ACS surgery from Greenfield etc.

Hey

i am starting with vascular and then going into peds..which books( handbooks/ texts) and any other advice would you seniors like to give.
Thanx

Gore? used to put out the vascular surgery combat survival guide, really handy little pocket book. That and an atlas to help you remember the anatomy, especially of the lower extremities.

Never bought a book for ped surgery. I just used what they had, they had quite a good selection in the office, and it wasn't worth it to me considering I spent what, a total of 14 weeks of my life in that place.

I did bust out my NMS pediatrics from 3rd year though :) If you can remember normal vitals, how to write for maintenance fluids, bolus blood/crystalloid, and if you can pick up an understanding of how to write TPN, plus the ped trauma stuff you'll learn in ATLS, you'll be doing pretty good to start.

Hey

Thanx

I don't think you really need anything for the "subspecialties". Most good general surgery texts (any of those we've mentioned here) and handbooks wil have adequate chapters on vascular, peds, etc.

There is a handbook which our vascular department gave us when we rotated on service that I found pretty useful: http://www.lww.com/product/?978-0-7817-2614-6

But for Peds, as noted above, know how to do the basic calculations and unless you have a Peds hospital and see some of the less common malformations, your gen surg books should be fine.

Remember the ABSITE has been revised in recent years. Low levels (PGY 1, 2, and 3?) are basic science heavy. PGY 4-5 are clinical heavy. I did well just reading cameron for 4-5 and doing SESAP.

Does any finishing PGY 1 or 2 who took the revised ABSITE have any updated recommendations on books?

I have my major text and my atlas(es) already, but I was thinking an ABSITE prep book would be good to use as an outline throughout the year to keep me on track and to make notes as I go along.

Any thoughts, considering the exam revisions?

I like Zollinger although it doesn't have everything. Its priced around $150 but don't buy any books yet if you've matched into a Categorical Surg positions - your program or a drug co may purchase them/give them to you.

For a cheaper, more portable "atlas" (ok its not really an atlas but has lots of drawings and how to stuff) check out Skandalakis and Skandalakis.

Anyone have any recommendations about atlases? I see that there is a 1700 pg 2 volume version of Skandalakis. A review in the NEJM sounded interesting; but Z&Z is the traditional gold standard...

Anyone have any recommendations about atlases? I see that there is a 1700 pg 2 volume version of Skandalakis. A review in the NEJM sounded interesting; but Z&Z is the traditional gold standard...

bump

In case you have some book money now and tend to spend quickly, might want to think about holding onto it; new Cameron supposedly coming out in November.

But that's better for the senior residents, no?

Juniors tend to gravitate towards Sabiston and Greenfield.

Am an intern and am expected to read up on the following in my next rotation:

Esophagus
Hernia
SBO
Appy
Gall bladder
Pancreatitis
Diverticulitis
Breast

Which book/books deal best with these topics - sabiston, schwartz, greenfield, acs?

Also which book would you guys recommend to get a good handle on chest tubes, respiratory issues, vent management in a surgical patient AND on postoperative management esp of complications?

Hello guys, is there anyone who knows if McGraw-Hill Medical is gonna publish new edition for "Current Surgical Diagnosis & Treatment"?

Hello guys, is there anyone who knows if McGraw-Hill Medical is gonna publish new edition for "Current Surgical Diagnosis & Treatment"?

The "current" issue is less than 2 years old (which really means its about 5 or more years old by the time it gets to publishing). There is no mention on McGraw Hill's site.

As has been previously mentioned, Cameron (and I believe Sabiston) are coming out with new editions this November.

I am interested in Chassin's since one of my attendings brought it to my attention. I see a couple of posters have mentioned it but I am interested in hearing others opinions. Its not too expensive and I do have a book allowance at my program so that's not an issue so much...

BTW, i bought the most recent edition of Schwartz 2 yrs ago and love it but I think it comes down to finding a book that you are willing to actually read versus look at it on your bookcase.

I want to get the "absite killer book/booklet" and can not find it. I will be getting Rushes review.

Anyone got any suggestions where I can find the ABSITE Killer, and any other things I might want for ABSITE review? Please help me find this text and let me know were else my library might be lacking.

Email [email protected]. You can get it there. :)

Here are the books I like:

For clinical quick reference:
Cameron - Current Surgical Therapy: easily the fastest read if you need to figure out what to do with someone. NO basic science to speak of. The book gets updated virtually every year so hang on to old editions as the following book may have chapters written by totally different people.

For a nice mix between an atlas and a text:
Fischer - Mastery of Surgery: two volumes. Reads well. Diagrams many operations in an understandable way. One of my personal favorites. New edition came out in the last year or so.

My favorite expositive atlas:
Chassin - Operative Strategies in General Surgery: To me, it is the best mix of pictures and text for an atlas (Zollinger is just too little text for my taste). New edition came out this year. Only covers general surgery. You'll need supplements for any subspecialties you rotate on.

Basic Science heavy textbook:
You're pick. I'd probably wait on this and figure out which residency you end up with as they usually each favor a different one. I think Greenfield probably does the best job with covering basic science, but go with whatever works for you (Sabiston, Schwartz, Greenfield, or Norton will all work fine for most people)

Other books worth considering:
Marino - the ICU book: a good basic text on ICU care, something you'll be expected to do as a surgeon.

ACS Surgery: also a good overview. Lots of algorithms on treatment, etc. I really like this and now that it comes on CD-ROM (it's a subscription based service), it's far easier to print out bits and carry it around.

Keep in mind, everyone is different and what some people love, others can't stand. Be prepared to return books that don't match your style of learning. Good luck
That would be "your pick".

What is the best and most advanced textbook in General Surgery for any one preparing for M.D degree (most advanced level) ,I am thinking about three : ACS, Schwartz, and Cameron current. what do you think ?

What is the best and most advanced textbook in General Surgery for any one preparing for M.D degree (most advanced level) ,I am thinking about three : ACS, Schwartz, and Cameron current. what do you think ?

What do you mean when you say "preparing for M.D. degree"?

If you are premed and about to start medical school, I would not advise you to spend money on ANY surgical textbook. It just will not be the appropriate scope for what you need in school.

If you are in medical school and finishing soon, I would wait to buy any textbook until you begin residency. Some residencies have a preferred textbook, some will even buy one for you.

In terms of the books themselves:

Traditionally, people will talk about "the big 3" surgery textbooks. These are generally considered to be "surgical bibles" - they are meant to cover ALL of surgery and are as such very broad. They do all cover the vast majority of basic science and clinical topics within general surgery. They are each slightly different from one another. (disclaimer: I have read PARTS of all of these, but definitely not ALL of ALL of them)
1. Schwartz: Probably the lightest on basic science and most clinically oriented of the three
2. Greenfield: Very basic science heavy, and very dense, in my experience
3. Sabiston: Previously edited by "legendary" Duke chairman and namesake of the textbook. Probably the most balanced between science and clinical application of the three.

There are other surgical texts such as the ones you have mentioned:
1. Cameron's: VERY clinically focused, but a favorite of residents for its (a) short chapters and (b) clinically applicability. I've read pretty much all of this text and plan on reading it again in the next year. Good for board prep.
2. ACS Practices and Principles: Again very clinically focused. The thing I like about this is it gives you at the beginning of each chapter an algorithm for clinical management. This algorithm is usually exactly what you need to answer for the oral boards. I dislike their chapters on operative management as they are very superficial - they are great for medical students preparing to see a case for the first time, but not enough detail for residents. (*COI disclaimer: I've authored a chapter for this text)
3. Mastery of Surgery: Extremely operatively focused. A lot of technical details. Awesome for residents preparing for cases.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks southernIM for your kind reply.

What do you mean when you say "preparing for M.D. degree"?
I already finished general surgery residency, and have M.S in General surgery and preparing for M.D (Top General Surgery degree in my country)

Hi, seems like this topic hasn't been updated a whole lot since 2007. I will be starting a Gen Surg residency in 1.5 months (so soon!) and just wanted to get an idea of what textbooks I might use. Just a warning, it’s kind of a looong post. I apologize in advance!

I read through the whole thread and have a general idea of what books are out there.

Just a little bit about what I am looking for. I would really like to get one Main textbook to read and use as a reference and have one outline format review book to kind of use as a companion to thew larger book and more for focusing on the meat of what I need to know for the AB site.

For the major book, it seems like the options out there are:

1.) Greenfield
2.) Sabiston
3.) Schwartz
4.) Cameron

Seems like Cameron is more clinically oriented and not the best one to use as an intern just starting out. So, that leaves (Greenfield, Sabiston, and Schwartz). Unfortunately I won’t have access to a library with these books for the next few weeks.

I see some books listed as being more or less basic science heavy. What exactly does that mean? More review of anatomy and physiology? More nitty gritty detail on molecular pathways/ genetics? More on pathophysiology? Also, dumb question, but what are the full titles of the above texts? Did a Google search and came up with several different books with same/ similar titles and authors…

The texts that I really enjoyed during med school where those that explained in a logical fashion the pathogenesis of a disease process and also how the disease process resulted in the observed clinical signs/ symptoms. A lot of texts give the what, but are lacking in the why. For anyone who has used Medium Robbins or Goljan's Rapid Review Pathology, 3rd edition textbooks, these are excellent examples of books that explain the why. They use physiology and pathology basics to explain why a disease develops and how each disease results in it's clinical manifestation. (ex. Chronic liver failure can result in the clinical findings of palmar erythema and spider angima because the liver normally breaks down estrogen – the resulting build up of estrogen causes vasodilation.). Brief explanations of mechanism like the above are great.

I am also looking for a book that has good overview/schematic figures, summary tables, diagrams of relevant anatomy, gross path pictures (ex. porcelain GB), and key radiology images (ex. SBO findings, UC findings, etc).

Some examples of great overview/ summary images that I have seen in other texts are shown below:

-Gallbladder disease summary (from Fordran’s GI disease):
choledz.jpg

-TB course summary (from Medium Robbins):
tb01.jpg tb02.jpg

-Proposed/theorized mechanism of development of acute pancreatitis (from Medium Robbins):
ac_pancr.jpg

-Summary of IBD (from Medium Robbins):
Inf_BD.jpg

* In addition to a big text I want a review book similar to First Aid, or Step Up to Medicine that is in outline format and gives the key points/ highlights for all diseases that you need to know for the ABSite. I like using a review book to annotate info into as well. I typically use a review book like this to prevent me from not seeing the forest for the trees when I read a larger text. Sometimes I can get bogged down in the details of the larger text.

I’ve read through the various ABSite threads, but a lot of them haven’t been updated in a few years…

I’ve seen the Fiser review book mentioned, but seems like he has a bunch of AB site books out there. Which one is everyone referring to?

Also, I have seen some people mention the following in threads:

-ABSite killer

-the “black book”

-Rush review

-SESAP

Anyway, I apologize again for the long-winded post. I have a learning disability that requires some advance planning so I want to kind of have an better idea of the resources out there before July 1. Thank you in advance for any replies!

Last edited:
I wrote a fairly long review of the major texts a while back...but I'm on my phone so it is hard for me to search.

But my main recommendation is to wait. There's a very good chance your program will supply you with one of the textbooks, or even have a required reading curriculum. Your institution will also likely have access to Accesssurgery and score - so you'll have electronic access to Schwartz, Greenfield, and ACS surgery

Agree. In the current state of things, most programs will have a subscription to SCORE, which provides access to Greenfields, ACS Surgery, and selected chapters from other books. It seems silly to go against this, as the ABSITE and the ABS QE have been very clear that they will follow the SCORE curriculum.

That being said, I've always been a Sabiston fan, with Cameron reserved for the PGY3+ years.

What are the best periodicals /journals in surgery ?

I know
surgical clinics of north America
advances in surgery by Cameron
Recent advances in surgery by Taylor

Any more suggestions ?