Books for these classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackets5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im looking to find out what books are good to buy for my classes next semeseter. i have coming up

Biochem: Lippincotts, Rapid Review and maybe marks for reference (have voet and voet from undergrad)

Physiology: Physiology by Costanzo, BRS by costanzo or Rapid Review Physio

Neuroanatomy: High Yield Neuro, BRS Neuroanatomy.

Any suggestions thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Wait until school starts before you have to buy any books. Your school will tell you what books are required for their classes and can be covered by financial aid. You won't need the voet textbook, that book is way too detailed for what you need for medical biochemistry (considering that I took the class in undergrad at the same school voet is at).

Not to mention the possibility of not needing textbooks at all, believe it or not. The school I'll be matriculating at have available for students the podcasts of lectures, the professors' notes, the lecture power points, and the transcripts of each lecture with every word the professor said. I don't think I'll have time for textbooks. Find out what your school offers first before deciding on buying books. Check with the MS1s at the school for what they recommend. If you really want to buy textbooks, they should also be able to tell you which ones they use.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to mention the possibility of not needing textbooks at all, believe it or not. The school I'll be matriculating at have available for students the podcasts of lectures, the professors' notes, the lecture power points, and the transcripts of each lecture with every word the professor said. I don't think I'll have time for textbooks. Find out what your school offers first before deciding on buying books. Check with the MS1s at the school for what they recommend. If you really want to buy textbooks, they should also be able to tell you which ones they use.

Thats all well and good, but wait until you see the quality of some of the powerpoints and lectures before you decide not to buy any books. You will find that some of the profs are great and the lecture/notes are all you will need. On the other hand, some of them will be disorganized, poor lecturers, or speak in an accent you can't understand.

A good text or review book can be a lot easier to understand than poor lecture notes or slides. I particularly recommend Lippincott's Biochemistry; it's fantastic.

Stick with Costanzo for Physio - both her text and BRS review are awesome. Lippincotts is great too. Don't know about neuro.

cpants is right about the quality of the powerpoints/lecture notes. Some of my classes had 10+ professors and the quality of the core notes varies tremendously from one to the next. Some of the worst advice I received from MS2s at my school was to not buy textbooks. I could have saved countless hours trying to fill in the blanks on poorly written core notes when I could have just read a few textbook chapters and actually understood everything.

Im looking to find out what books are good to buy for my classes next semeseter. i have coming up

Biochem: Lippincotts, Rapid Review and maybe marks for reference (have voet and voet from undergrad)

Physiology: Physiology by Costanzo, BRS by costanzo or Rapid Review Physio

Neuroanatomy: High Yield Neuro, BRS Neuroanatomy.

Any suggestions thanks guys

Biochem --> i used the BRS biochem & molecular biology book (green). its pretty good.

Physiology --> BRS costanzo + Big costanzo is all you need.

Neuroanatomy --> HY >>> BRS

Lippincott's biochem, BRS phys, and HY neuroanatomy. I wish I had had HY neuro when I took the class.