Books on acid-base disorders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smok

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I became very interested in physiology of acid-base disorders – because I don’t feel I really understand this. What books would you recommend?
So far I’ve chosen three –
1. Burton David Rose. Clinical physiology of acid-base and electrolyte disorders.
Only I’ve got 4th edition – from 1994. Does anyone know if it is significantly different from newer one? Is it a “must” to get 5th edition, or can I at least start with on old version?
2. John A Kellum. Paul WG Elbers. Stewart's Textbook of Acid-Base.
I think of buying this one… Anyone has it? Any opinions?
3. F. John Gennari. Acid-Base Disorders and Their Treatment.
How is it comparing to two above? Can it be a “look up” reference for the first two?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I became very interested in physiology of acid-base disorders – because I don’t feel I really understand this. What books would you recommend?
So far I’ve chosen three –
1. Burton David Rose. Clinical physiology of acid-base and electrolyte disorders.
Only I’ve got 4th edition – from 1994. Does anyone know if it is significantly different from newer one? Is it a “must” to get 5th edition, or can I at least start with on old version?
2. John A Kellum. Paul WG Elbers. Stewart's Textbook of Acid-Base.
I think of buying this one… Anyone has it? Any opinions?
3. F. John Gennari. Acid-Base Disorders and Their Treatment.
How is it comparing to two above? Can it be a “look up” reference for the first two?
Thanks!

In my biased opinion...I think #2 is your way to go. The Stewart approach opens a whole new light on acid-base. Very nice way of understanding it.

But, I am biased....;)

KG

Members don't see this ad :)
In my biased opinion...I think #2 is your way to go. The Stewart approach opens a whole new light on acid-base. Very nice way of understanding it.

But, I am biased....;)

KG

www.acidbase.org

This is Stewart Acid-base website and has an analysis module within it.

good luck

Last edited:
This thread is a year old, but in case anyone else is interested, there are several approaches to acid base. A few review articles by Adrogué and Madias in the New England Journal of Medicine and the Journal of Nephrology shed some light on the topic. You might want to see those articles before deciding which book to buy.

However, for school you will have to buy the book your professor tells you.

Last edited: