Books on ESTs/CBT for Children

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clinpsych

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any books (or other resources) on empirically supported treatments (especially for the treatment of mood and anxiety disorders) for children? Ideally, what I'm looking for is the equivalent of Barlow's Clinical Handbook of Psychological Disorders (something containing detailed descriptions of a variety of ESTs for the treatment of a variety of disorders) but for focused on treatments for kids.

I'm also interested in hearing general recommendations of books on using CBT with kids (especially books aimed at practitioners knowledgable about CBT, but less experienced treating children).

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I love Weisz and Kazdin's (2010) Evidence-based Psychotherapies for Children and Adolescents. Has very good descriptions and overviews of the EBTs out there for various child disorders. Each chapter is written by a main researcher or developer of the treatment. For example, Kendall wrote a chapter on Coping Cat for anxiety and Cohen, Mannarino, and Deblinger wrote the chapter on TFCBT.

Last edited:
I love Weisz and Kasdin's (2010) Evidence-based Psychotherapies for Children and Adolescents. Has very good descriptions and overviews of the EBTs out there for various child disorders. Each chapter is written by a main researcher or developer of the treatment. For example, Kendall wrote a chapter on Coping Cat for anxiety and Cohen, Mannarino, and Deblinger wrote the chapter on TFCBT.

I second the Kazdin book -- it is quite good.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love Weisz and Kasdin's (2010) Evidence-based Psychotherapies for Children and Adolescents. Has very good descriptions and overviews of the EBTs out there for various child disorders. Each chapter is written by a main researcher or developer of the treatment. For example, Kendall wrote a chapter on Coping Cat for anxiety and Cohen, Mannarino, and Deblinger wrote the chapter on TFCBT.

That sounds fantastic - thanks to you both!

I'd love to hear others' recommendations as well.

I liked the book Child and Adolescent Therapy edited by Phil Kendall. We used the third edition but I think it's been updated to the fourth.

Can anyone recommend any books (or other resources) on empirically supported treatments (especially for the treatment of mood and anxiety disorders) for children? Ideally, what I'm looking for is the equivalent of Barlow's Clinical Handbook of Psychological Disorders (something containing detailed descriptions of a variety of ESTs for the treatment of a variety of disorders) but for focused on treatments for kids.

I'm also interested in hearing general recommendations of books on using CBT with kids (especially books aimed at practitioners knowledgable about CBT, but less experienced treating children).

Thanks in advance!

Both of these books were highly recommended to me and I work with traumatized children:

General Principles and Empirically Supported Techniques of Cognitive Behavior Therapy. (2009). William T. O'Donohue (Editor), Jane E. Fisher (Editor)

Cognitive-Behavior Therapy for Children and Adolescent.s (2012). E. Szigethy, J.R. Weisz & R.L. Findling

I have not gotten a chance to read them yet, so I can't give my opinions, but they are both on my book list to purchase.

Also, does anyone have any good recommendations for Trauma-Focused CBT with children (either books or authors)? Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the recommendations!