books. review books for usmle.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

julioiglesias

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it is official. i will be going to the Philippines for my pursuit of medical degree.
I will be going in as a foreign student at SWU.
my question to you who has been in the trenches and are studying or already studied and passed the boards

what are the books that you bought and owned to help navigate towards the treacherous waters of medical school education and preparing you for the USMLE. I went on amazon.com and found a whole list of them.
do you recommend buying all of them? or do you have a selected few that you can get it in the Philippines. do you recommend it getting it before heading off to the Philippines.

thank you all

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=248031
Step 2: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=248220

These threads are very detailed and written especially for international medical school students wanting to take the USMLE. They'll tell you every subject and books you need to know in detail. And yes, get it before you head for the Phillipines, because I doubt they have a lot of books regarding the USMLE there, which means if you import it or ship it, it will be extremely expensive.

All the books you need are available in Manila in a number of editions. Most books are overseas editions of American texts and are available for a fraction of the price. When you see what's available, you will become disgusted at the textbook system in the US and you will buy all future books overseas.

You're wasting your time and money buying books in the states. The books you need for medical school are all available through some vendor close to whatever school you are attending. Just ask when you show up. Get the price list and double check it before committing to a purchase.

Bootleg Dvds containing medical e-books are available and contain more information than you could read in a lifetime.

The only book that is indispensable for the Step 1 is First Aid. A local photocopied version is available for $6. It's just fine. You can buy the glossy version with the color pictures in the US for $40 or $50. Most people I know used the cheap version and did just fine.

Many students in the Philippines don't buy all the recommended texts. And most students don't read all the books they do buy. Instead they study using a photocopied notes sytem which originates with the #1 or #2 student in the class. You will be expected to chip in money for the photocopies.

Relax....you'll be busy enough when it starts in June. If you absolutely have to study something now, then just read the first few chapters of an anatomy book.

As for buying books in the US...don't waste your time.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you.

does this also apply for books needed for USMLE?
i doubt they sell them in philippines right? like the BRS series, High Yield series, or kaplans?

can you please let me know? i am just too stubborn. i already bought First aid along with the other review books for each subject. i wish i got your message earlier. haha.

Do you know if the schools use textbooks or photocopies or lecture notes?
do I have to buy a big anatomy book for example?

thanks

thank you.

does this also apply for books needed for USMLE?
i doubt they sell them in philippines right? like the BRS series, High Yield series, or kaplans?

can you please let me know? i am just too stubborn. i already bought First aid along with the other review books for each subject. i wish i got your message earlier. haha.

Do you know if the schools use textbooks or photocopies or lecture notes?
do I have to buy a big anatomy book for example?

thanks

You'll definitely need an atlas...Netters is the preferred choice...

I'd get a Netters and a Rohen's (Photographic atlas of anatomy). It is great for your practical/lab exams as the Rohen book uses real cadavers for their pictures.

Can USMLE books be also review books for class?
I got BRS Anatomy but seems like it is just an outliine of the anatamoy course and not picture slides which are needed for visual learner like me.

So I have to buy both? If i don't get it now in US, I can't find it in the Philippines. ? I hear some say get books in philippines since it is fraction of the original price but yet people say not all the necessary books are in the philippines.

they are not cheap but a necessary evil. i am sure in an hour of two i bought them in amazon. lol or not.

I already have other anatomy books for me who is a anatomy newbie. (haven't taken it in college)
1) the coloring book anatomy and coloring physiology book (I wished I had a 3D view of the part of the body and able to touch the notches and tubercles and fossas but can't it is only a book)
2) anatomy and physiology the easy way (this is really a dum book just points out the major part of the body that's it)

Hahaha....didn't you read my post? Which part didn't you understand?

I couldn't really follow you post but it sounds like you have already bought 4 anatomy texts. Is that correct? Come on....tell the truth....how many antomy texts have you bought already?

You do realise that anatomy is just one of a number of first year subjects?

A few more Fil-Am students like you and I'd buy stock in Amazon.

Ok...no more laughter....serious advice. Relax dude, stop buying books and just read the first few chapters of a couple of the anatomy books that you already have.

Enthusiasm is wonderful, but it's not a substitute for hard work.

Buying four books is not as important as reading one. And worrying about the MLEs is not as important as passing your first year of med school. So concentrate on your problems in order of priority. Your first priority is not to drown in the first month of med school.

But above all, be honest....how many books have you bought since your last post?

Hahaha....didn't you read my post? Which part didn't you understand?

I couldn't really follow your post but it sounds like you have already bought 4 anatomy texts. Is that correct? Come on....tell the truth....how many antomy texts have you bought already?

You do realise that anatomy is just one of a number of first year subjects?

A few more Fil-Am students like you and I'd buy stock in Amazon.

Ok...no more laughter....serious advice. Relax dude, stop buying books and just read the first few chapters of a couple of the anatomy books that you already have.

Enthusiasm is wonderful, but it's not a substitute for hard work.

Buying four books is not as important as reading one. And worrying about the MLEs is not as important as passing your first year of med school. So concentrate on your problems in order of priority. Your first priority is not to drown in the first month of med school.

But above all, be honest....how many books have you bought since your last post?

Last edited:
Worry about passing First Year Med First... trust me... that alone is enough to keep you busy and stressed out. Also, you are learning the foundation for the USMLE, so you are basically studying for it. If you want, prepare during weekends and review what you learned and parallel study for USMLE. It'll take time to adjust anyway. Best relax like what saipan said. And NETTER is and will be your best friend. prepare to have constant affairs with it. I slept with it everynight :laugh:

thanks for the advice.
i am already in philppines so there is no turning back.
yes i have anatomy books. but it varies in difficulties.
one is the coloring book which has been very helpful.
second and third are usmle books which just skims through the general idea and ends the chapter with some questions.
i bought a book on neuroanatomy. it seemed the coloring book didn't do a good job explaning the intricacies of the brain.

that's about it.
but i failed to buy netters book. so i am doomed right?
you should have seen me in the airport. i almost dislocated my shoulders because of so many books i bought, i should open up a book store.

Don't worry, Netter (and everything else) is available in Manila. And if you're already in the province there's sure to be someone there who deals in medical books. Just ask around at your medical school.