Books to read before Med Skool.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Severus

FTSM!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I panhandle outside the Barnes & Noble near Rittenhouse Square and when I sneak in to use the bathrooms (hey, sometimes it's too cold to drain the dragon outside) I glance at the books. I typically only read the newspapers I sleep under at nights, so I have no clue what's a good read. I need to get some leisure reading in before medical school... please help.

P.S. No romance novels. The other hobos will laugh me off the block. :oops:

Thank You.

Severus S. Snape

Members don't see this ad.

I panhandle outside the Barnes & Noble near Rittenhouse Square and when I sneak in to use the bathrooms (hey, sometimes it's too cold to drain the dragon outside) I glance at the books. I typically only read the newspapers I sleep under at nights, so I have no clue what's a good read. I need to get some leisure reading in before medical school... please help.

Thank You.

Severus S. Snape

House of God will get you in the spirit of medicine and it's a fun book. But most people seem to have read that already.

Thank You.

Severus S. Snape

Choke by Chuck Palahnuik

Members don't see this ad :)
If you've never read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest then I recommend that. It's my all-time favorite (in case you couldn't tell):)

(hey, sometimes it's too cold to drain the dragon outside)
I thought you were a girl???!? Don't you mean "drain the batcave" or something like that?

hmmm... already read that. All I remember was Hawaiian t*ts. :eek: :cool:

I'll have to read cuckoo and choke, though. Thanks.

Keep the suggestions rollin in!

You're too well read for a Hobo!

You're too well read for a Hobo!

What can I say? I was homeschooled. :oops:

I haven't read Complications. I'll have to also check that out.

Alas, most of my reading has been either 19th century BS, fantasy (NERD!!!), or children's literature (I don't care how old I get, I will always want to read those scholastic bookclub books...).

What can I say? I was homeschooled. :oops:

I haven't read Complications. I'll have to also check that out.

Alas, most of my reading has been either 19th century BS, fantasy (NERD!!!), or children's literature (I don't care how old I get, I will always want to read those scholastic bookclub books...).

complications is definitely a good read....even though the author won a macarthur genius grant he still has the humility of an average joe....

'mountains beyond mountains: the quest of dr. paul farmer, a man who would cure the world' by tracy kidder is great

and hey, you'd be surprised by the number of homeless people who read

Pimp by Iceberg slim or Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse.

Members don't see this ad :)
Arrowsmith by Sinclair Lewis - another medicine book, it's quite old though, it's from the 1920s i think.

The World Is Flat by Thomas Friedman...Not really medically related, but highly recommended.
Also, The Middle East by Bernard Lewis.

Medically? I really enjoyed:
Just Here Trying To Save a Few Lives by Pamela Grim.
When the Air Hits Your Brain by Frank Vertosick.
Why God Wont Go Away by Andrew Newberg and Eugene D'Aquili.

And we can't forget The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks.

Choke is great.

See also Invisible Monsters, Diary, or Survivor.

See also Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

See also anything by Kurt Vonnegut.

house calls by dr. stern

When the Air Hits Your Brain is teh awesome. Me love it looooooooong time. :thumbup:

I also read that "Another Day in the Frontal Lobe". It was pretty good, but I still prefer Vertosick's book.

The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down - Anne Fadiman

Show off...with your underlining...and stuff.

Oh, and yeah YEAH! at ol' Frankie's book.

In your time off? Stay away from medicine books; it's your last chance to do so.

I've recommended this in past threads, but Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer is a really great piece of literature by a young new author. Of course, my all-time favorite is Catch-22 by Joseph Heller.

Speaking of books, when are you going to send Poop on Your Coffee Table to the publishers?

Here are some books that I recommended last Summer:

The Coast of Chicago by Stuart Dybek (short stories)

The Death of Vishnu: A Novel by Manil Suri

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri (short stories)

Bel Canto: A Novel by Ann Patchett

I can also recommend these non-medical reads:

The Logic of the Rose by Billy Lombardo (short stories)

Sweet and Low by Rich Cohen (non-fiction, about a disfunctional family in NY)

Measure of Our Days - Jerome Grupman (spelling?)

Choke is great.

See also Invisible Monsters, Diary, or Survivor.

See also Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

See also anything by Kurt Vonnegut.

Loooove kurt vonnegut, if you read one book by him tho, go with Cat's Cradle