Books to read?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrispy93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to read more lately and I figured it best to read about medical school, residency, etc.
Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm also curious in healthcare issues so books pertaining to that would be great. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What Doctors Feel by Danielle Ofri.
Medicine in Translation, also by her

There have been threads on this that I'm too lazy to pull up at the moment, so I'll just say Atul Gawande's books.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doctors: The Biography of Medicine
Book by Sherwin B. Nuland

But best book series of all time (possibly)? A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin (colloquially referred to as the GAME OF THRONES books). Simply. Amazing.

Complications and Better, both by Dr. Atul Gawande (he's brilliant)
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down
My Own Country
Emperor of all Maladies

I love all of these books. I'm a huge fan of medical journalism

I personally enjoyed How Doctors Think by Jerome Groopman, M.D.
There are also many interesting books on neurological issues by Dr. Oliver Sacks
If you are really interested in history of HIV (which history and AIDS are two of my favorite topics), there is a book called And the Band Played On, which is the most inclusive resource on the first five years of AIDS. (Alternatively, you may just watch a film on YouTube with the same name).

Also, The Economist magazine has been often called one of the best reads to prepare for verbal section of MCAT. (You can download their app to iPad). Not to mention you will be more well informed than from watching Fox or CNN.

Last edited:
Jerome Groopman- How Doctors Think, The Anatomy of Hope
Vertosik- When the air hits your brain
Emily Transue- On Call: A doctors days and nights in residency, patient by patient
James Orbinski- An Imperfect Offering
Intern Blues
James Maskalyk- SixMonths in Sudan
Frieda McFadden- The Devil Wears Scrubs

The DOs - by Norman Gevitz. Yes, it's about the history of DOs but it gives a very good perspective on the development of medicine, as a whole, in the US in the past 100+ years, and a good foundation to see the increasing role government plays in healthcare. Also, despite it centering around DOs, it's bias is very minimal (it was the authors doctoral thesis).

Dr. Seuss books teach you everything you need to know about life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been trying to read more lately and I figured it best to read about medical school, residency, etc.
Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm also curious in healthcare issues so books pertaining to that would be great. Thanks!
There have been threads on this that I'm too lazy to pull up at the moment, so I'll just say Atul Gawande's books.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/good-books-to-read-before-med-school-starts.1075312/

But best book series of all time (possibly)? A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin (colloquially referred to as the GAME OF THRONES books). Simply. Amazing.
I came here with the intent to suggest GoT haha. Reading through them this summer finally. Almost done with Clash of Kings.

Highly recommend: "The Night Shift" - Dr. Brian Goldman

Members don't see this ad :)
"everything I learned in medical school " by S. Kansagara MD
Gifted Hands by Vertosik (also when the air hits the brain)

When the Air Hits Your Brain- Dr. Vertosick.
This book is awesome and a short read. Kind of paints an ugly picture of life as a resident but at the same time it makes you want to become a physician even more.

Reactions: 1 users
"Hippocrates' Shadow" by David H. Newman

I read this book a couple years ago and I actually ended up doing clinical research for him a couple months back. Definitely a very fascinating and candid look on the medical field.

i didnt really now much about healthcare and was interested-- the Healthcare Handbook is written by med students for med students and really helped me out.

"God's Hotel"
"The Emperor of All Maladies"
"Mountains Beyond Mountains"

"The Health Care Handbook" by Elisabeth Askin and Nathan Moore. It helped me gain a better understanding on how healthcare works in the US.

"Blue Collar, Blue Scrubs" by Michael Collins, MD
"Hot Lights, Cold Steel" by Michael Collins, MD
*Both of these are great for career-changing/non-traditional students.

Any book written by Atul Gawande

"House of God" by Samuel Shem
"When The Air Hits Your Brain" by Frank Vertosik, MD
"Intern: A Doctor's Initiation" by Sandeep Jauhar, MD

"Every Patient Tells a Story" by Lisa Sanders, MD

Reactions: 1 users