Boom! Just paid off my student loans!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dchristismi

Gin and Tonic
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yep, it's taken 11 years (because I had $110K in alimony and lawyer fees to pay off first, and didn't make payments in residency) But it's done.

And I also submitted a formal request to drop my hours at my main site to 100/month.

Going to the beach this weekend. It's also my birthday weekend... (hm, am I going to be 29 again?)
Life is good.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 33 users
Congratulations! I'm looking to pay off in 2 years hopefully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, it's taken 11 years (because I had $110K in alimony and lawyer fees to pay off first, and didn't make payments in residency) But it's done.

And I also submitted a formal request to drop my hours at my main site to 100/month.

Going to the beach this weekend. It's also my birthday weekend... (hm, am I going to be 29 again?)
Life is good.

Way to go dchristismi! Can't wait to feel the same.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
led-screen-you-win-loop-huge-color-shows-video-stars-text-39756057.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
The day I will make a post like this is when we have flying cars.

Congrats OP!

Congrats..... I paid off my 110k loan in a year at age 29. It can happen you put it as a priority. Most EM docs should be able to retire or go part time at 45-50 if they plan accordingly.

emergent i dont think 15 yrs of work is long enough to retire. perhaps if youre making 450k+/yr. i think i gotta put in 20yrs and then part time. i started late tho. nj op.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

emergent i dont think 15 yrs of work is long enough to retire. perhaps if youre making 450k+/yr. i think i gotta put in 20yrs and then part time. i started late tho. nj op.

This begs a good question... What is considered "part time"? Sure, it's going to be different for everyone, but can we reach a general consensus?

I say... 100 hours/month. That's 25 hours a week. That's 3 eight hour shifts, plus a smidge. We're getting a raise at my present job, and it will allow me to cut back to 110-120 hours/month.

That raise can't come soon enough.

Alimony... Ya, don't get divorced, that's the best financial decision one could make. Actually, the best one is a pre-nup.

This begs a good question... What is considered "part time"? Sure, it's going to be different for everyone, but can we reach a general consensus?

I say... 100 hours/month. That's 25 hours a week. That's 3 eight hour shifts, plus a smidge. We're getting a raise at my present job, and it will allow me to cut back to 110-120 hours/month.

That raise can't come soon enough.

I think 3-6 shifts a month where I can work PRN and make my own schedule. Refuse working weekends and nights. Hopefully I can do this in 2-3 yrs.

Life is good.
Congratulations! !! Way to go.

Sent from my SM-G920T using SDN mobile

I think 3-6 shifts a month where I can work PRN and make my own schedule. Refuse working weekends and nights. Hopefully I can do this in 2-3 yrs.

I love your posts, amigo - but what you describe isn't so much "part time" as it is "I work only if I want to work", which translates almost directly to "retired". :)

my idea of part time is 6 shifts/mo too

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I love your posts, amigo - but what you describe isn't so much "part time" as it is "I work only if I want to work", which translates almost directly to "retired". :)

I call this Locums when
1. I don't need money to survive but do not want to touch retirement
2. Keep my skills up b/c I love my job and would love to do it if physically possible til 65
3. When I can call my shots, do whatever days I want. I can never have to work a weekend, holiday, or night again. I can take a month off whenever I want without having to beg the higher ups or feel like i am screwing my partners.

EM medicine is good. I hope to be in paradise in 2-4 yrs.

Well done OP.

Gotta love the 100 hour month. I work roughly two 12s or one 24 a week. Another 10ish hours a week in administrative stuff. Of course the latter is not work. Makes every shift an adventure and something I look forward to, to this day.

I call this Locums when
1. I don't need money to survive but do not want to touch retirement
2. Keep my skills up b/c I love my job and would love to do it if physically possible til 65
3. When I can call my shots, do whatever days I want. I can never have to work a weekend, holiday, or night again. I can take a month off whenever I want without having to beg the higher ups or feel like i am screwing my partners.

EM medicine is good. I hope to be in paradise in 2-4 yrs.

Eh, now that I think about it; that's a good way of putting it - especially if you don't want to "touch" retirement fundage.

Good luck, amigo. I hope I'm just straight up out of debt in 2-4 years. I'll be 37 if all goes according to plan.