boosting science GPA..community college, retaking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toffey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my science GPA is currently 3.5. I have some more school to do, but if I do well, I should end up with a 3.75 science and 3.87 cumulative.
I know those are good stats, but I'm just going off the fact that I can pull off a 4.0 for the next year and a half.

I'm also shooting for a lot of upper tier schools, mostly because of location.

Would it be a good idea to take some community college science classes over the summer to keep my gpa up? I've considered retaking the classes I got B's in (mostly freshman level), but don't know if it's worth the time.
I'd just like to make sure my sci GPA will be 3.75-3.8..

Members don't see this ad.

So my science GPA is currently 3.5. I have some more school to do, but if I do well, I should end up with a 3.75 science and 3.87 cumulative.
I know those are good stats, but I'm just going off the fact that I can pull off a 4.0 for the next year and a half.

I'm also shooting for a lot of upper tier schools, mostly because of location.

Would it be a good idea to take some community college science classes over the summer to keep my gpa up? I've considered retaking the classes I got B's in (mostly freshman level), but don't know if it's worth the time.
I'd just like to make sure my sci GPA will be 3.75-3.8..

NO. Do not retake B's.

When you are done with your course work, you will have a GPA that is on par with matriculants to Feinberg Northwestern, Pritzker, Yale, and Columbia (AKA the top tier programs). Remember that the GPA is one of many factors to your acceptance. GPA is normally meant to cut people who don't meet the academic requirements they're looking for.

Do not retake courses. Focus on the MCAT and EC's.

NO. Do not retake B's.

When you are done with your course work, you will have a GPA that is on par with matriculants to Feinberg Northwestern, Pritzker, Yale, and Columbia (AKA the top tier programs). Remember that the GPA is one of many factors to your acceptance. GPA is normally meant to cut people who don't meet the academic requirements they're looking for.

Do not retake courses. Focus on the MCAT and EC's.
Thanks for the input. I'm just afraid I.won't be able to keep a 4.0 in the rest of my sci classes. So I shouldn't even take a bio class or two at a cc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input. I'm just afraid I.won't be able to keep a 4.0 in the rest of my sci classes. So I shouldn't even take a bio class or two at a cc?

That's okay. If you are at a 3.6-3.8 (closer to 3.8 of course) you will be fine for top-tier programs.

Even if you didn't get 4.0's in these courses, I would not retake them unless you failed.

Start focusing on the MCAT because a 3.8 will not mean much with less than stellar MCAT to Feinberg. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
One A at a community college, might not even bump up your GPA up 0.01. You will probably need to take a good amount of classes to even see a difference.

You may not even get that A. I feel that some CC professors aren't good test-writers, and if nobody in a class gets an A, there may not be a curve to help them.