Boston area programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

Arlobeacon

Has anyone rotated at any of the programs in the Boston area? I just found out (for personal reasons) that I need to match in the area but I don't know much about the strengths or weaknesses of the different programs. Any personal experience at any of the following would help:

Baystate
Beth Israel Deaconess
Boston Medical Center
Brigham-MGH
Brown
U Mass

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

A few thoughts re. yr inquiry: crude ranking:

1brown
2boston medical ctr
3mass general
4bi
5baystate
6umass

if baystate wasn't in fricking springfield, it would be in the top two.

boston med is 2-4; but a great program.
of all the boston programs, they are the true EM docs...

mgh is pretty new, and i've heard, can be
pretty malignant--i don't know that it's anything special, except in name.

brown has a great rep, you work hard, high volume

baystate: friendly 3 year program in an unfortunate location, perhaps a bit weak academically

BI--spanking new ED with some big names attached; sadly the hospital has a cashopathy, and also i've heard that the patient volume and diversity is a bit weak
nice 3 year program with optional 4th year

umass: i've heard you have to spend way too much time on lifeflights (helicopters); man do those things have crappy safety records (also questionable return on our healthcare dollars, but that's another story)

anyway..take these impressions with a few grains of salt...a lot of this is just word-of-mouth kind of opinions that I'm repeating

Thanks. It's interesting how Harvard seems less competitive.
My advisor told me to look at BI and told me that they've turned around their financial problems. How do you figure out where the best pathology is? If you look at the SAEM web site, MGH, Brigham, and BI have the highest rate of admission to the ICU and greater number of patients. It would be good to hear from anyone who rotated there.