Boston University 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raghav4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear applicants,
Plz join and share the knowledge here and make the process lil easier for all the applicants..Post your questions here and i will try to answer in the best possible way..the application cycle for 2014 starts in few days..Good Luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi There,m actually confused i applied to Boston last year received under-review in feb 2013 but nothing after that .Should I reapply or wait till some decision is made

Hi There,m actually confused i applied to Boston last year received under-review in feb 2013 but nothing after that .Should I reapply or wait till some decision is made

Almost all the seats are full at this poont..but there are very slim chances that any more seats might become vacant...it however happens, but that would be about 3 to 4 seats..
so i would suggest you to reapply in the next cycle early rather then waiting..

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Raghav... Even I applied for boston last yr and did not hear back from them ... Can you tell about the profile of students who got accepted in BU... I heard they give preference for students with postgraduation ....

Dear applicants,
Plz join and share the knowledge here and make the process lil easier for all the applicants..Post your questions here and i will try to answer in the best possible way..the application cycle for 2014 starts in few days..Good Luck!!

Thank you so much for your help..will definitely be asking things soon!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile

Hey Raghav... Even I applied for boston last yr and did not hear back from them ... Can you tell about the profile of students who got accepted in BU... I heard they give preference for students with postgraduation ....

it would be lil difficult at this stage for me to tell you about that as i havent had a chance to know about them yet...but as far as i know, there are many candidates who are not post graduates..
But at this time, since there are no scores on part 1 & 2, it is difficult for them to judge the candidates..so they are surely looking for something more on your profile..it can be research work or postgrad degree or any other thing...

Is now part 2 required for admission at boston?

I mean to say do nbde part 2 scores play a major role to get accepted along with cv

yes...they do play a major role since there are no scores on part 1 and 2..

Dear applicants,

Can you also throw some light on bench exams,what is generally asked and how to prepare for it? Thank you for having the heart to help all of us.

Dear applicants,

Hello Raghav4,
First of all I really appreciate your initiative.
My question is :
The Goldman School of Dentistry website says TOEFL of 100+ is a competitive score whereas just below that the requirement for Boston University is 84.
Does that imply that even people with a score less than 100 and above 84 can apply?

Thanks Again
Cheers!

Can you also throw some light on bench exams,what is generally asked and how to prepare for it? Thank you for having the heart to help all of us.

first of all, BU doesnot have any bench test...
and just in case if you are looking to prepare for bench test, you can prepare with guidance from friends on your own or join some institution like Duggans in CA...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Raghav4,
First of all I really appreciate your initiative.
My question is :
The Goldman School of Dentistry website says TOEFL of 100+ is a competitive score whereas just below that the requirement for Boston University is 84.
Does that imply that even people with a score less than 100 and above 84 can apply?

Thanks Again
Cheers!
Competitive score is the one which most of the applicants have on their profile...
84 is the minimum they are looking for...if you dont have 84, they wont look at your application since it doesnot meet their requirements...
Again since most of the applicants have 100 or 100 + score, it would be wise to be around 100, unless you have a prolific profile...
now as far as i know, until last year, 100 was the minimum score required...but for some reasons they have changed it this year...

first of all, BU doesnot have any bench test...
and just in case if you are looking to prepare for bench test, you can prepare with guidance from friends on your own or join some institution like Duggans in CA...

I understand there is no bench test for BU but otherwise!

Just a quick suggestion...apply as early as possible...because BU starts filling up the seats as soon as the interviews starts...

Raghav I ve a question what all should I write in Externship ? I have done Porcelain veneer course (hand on dentistry course for 2 days)after passing B.D.S can I mention this in externship.

Raghav I ve a question what all should I write in Externship ? I have done Porcelain veneer course (hand on dentistry course for 2 days)after passing B.D.S can I mention this in externship.

i dont think you should mention that under externship..but you can surely mention it under other work experiences...

Externship involves the work experience done under supervision.so clinical experience in a clinic/hospital after college can be written in this section.

I understand there is no bench test for BU but otherwise!

I have a question . i just started my CAAPID application and now am waiting . I want to apply to BU and they need a supplemental application , so should I start the supplemental application now or I should wait until they tell me to do so ?

Externship involves the work experience done under supervision.so clinical experience in a clinic/hospital after college can be written in this section.

Perfect!!

i have a question about the CAAPID application . i will aplly to many schools , so the CAAPID will send my application to those schools , my question is . all the schools that i chose will require me to send them the supplemental application ? plz if you have any idea tell me . to get ready and ask for enough copies of my Boards and Toefl tests. thanks a lot .

i have a question about the CAAPID application . i will aplly to many schools , so the CAAPID will send my application to those schools , my question is . all the schools that i chose will require me to send them the supplemental application ? plz if you have any idea tell me . to get ready and ask for enough copies of my Boards and Toefl tests. thanks a lot .

U can look up each school's website and prepare for this!

can we add internship as a year of work experience?

as american schools do not have a mandatory one year internship requirement for matriculation.. But we had it..

Good evening guys!
My profile:
GPA 3.0
TOEFL 105
NDBE I "pass"
U.S Citizen
Ortho lab owner for 5 years.
Research in self activated expansion devices, and phase I hybrid retainers.
Volunteer with outreach programs to Mexico and Bolivia.
Actively assisting doctors for the past 8 years in all areas of dentistry.

My question is if I should even bother applying to BU or any suggestions to make my curriculum stronger? or any other programs more accessible?

Thank you for your help!

Good evening guys!
My profile:
GPA 3.0
TOEFL 105
NDBE I "pass"
U.S Citizen
Ortho lab owner for 5 years.
Research in self activated expansion devices, and phase I hybrid retainers.
Volunteer with outreach programs to Mexico and Bolivia.
Actively assisting doctors for the past 8 years in all areas of dentistry.

My question is if I should even bother applying to BU or any suggestions to make my curriculum stronger? or any other programs more accessible?

Thank you for your help!

if you are looking for getting into DDS/DMD program , as per my opinion your profile looks impressive..so i dont know why you feel that whether you should bother applying to BU.../??:):)
your profile has everything that they are looking for...although i would say if you are thinking about giving part 2, give it right now...that would probably leave no dent in your profile..
Good Luck!!

mikeguzdds, what other schools are you planning to apply?

Thank you for your kind words my friend, It makes me want to apply already :). It has been a long road and all I can think of is to have that one chance that everyone of us is hoping for, an interview. Thank you for your encouragement and hope to be part of the lucky ones.
NDBE II planned for end of July.

I'll keep you posted and all the best to all!

Hi CT836!

To tell you the truth; since I saw many people with great CV's, I was thinking of the programs with higher number of acceptances to have a better chance (BU, UIC, UPenn, UCDenver, etc). My number one choice is UT San Antonio, but I believe it is extremely difficult. This is my fist year applying so we'll see how it goes.

supplemental application is required by some schools not all of them , and it contains the documents that the school require like TOEFL < NBDE< .....etc . you can call each school and ask them about it .
and about your letters yes you can send them to CAAPID even if they are not sealed in envelopes .

I have two questions for everyone:
1) What exactly is meant by supplemental application? I am in the process of filling out Caapid application, so should I simultaneously save some time and prepare for a supp application for all the colleges that ask for it?If yes, how can I prepare for the same.

2) I have sealed letters of recommendation from my home country here in U.S. Can I directly send all the 3 lors with the caapid code in one envelope to CAAPID from U.S? Or should I ask my friends/family from my home country to post the lors with the caapid code to CAAPID?

Thanks a lot guys and please do let me know:)
best thing would be to do some research about the school where you are applying..go to their website, and check what are the requirements and what is the process of application...each and every school has a different and an unique way...that would make your life lil easy...

Boston University has a supplemental application..once you submit your CAAPID, you will get an email from university, mentioning they have received your application and email will have a link to supplemental application..its just a single page application for BU asking couple of questions like why BU? and will also have link to make an online payment...

best thing would be to do some research about the school where you are applying..go to their website, and check what are the requirements and what is the process of application...each and every school has a different and an unique way...that would make your life lil easy...

Boston University has a supplemental application..once you submit your CAAPID, you will get an email from university, mentioning they have received your application and email will have a link to supplemental application..its just a single page application for BU asking couple of questions like why BU? and will also have link to make an online payment...

Thanks a ton Raghav! I will definitely do that:)
Also, can someone pls let me know abt the lors question I posted.

Thanks a ton Raghav! I will definitely do that:)
Also, can someone pls let me know abt the lors question I posted.

you can send all of them in one sealed envelope from US...just to make sure call CAAPID and ask them once..am sure they wont say no for that..

Does anyone know when is the application cycle for 2014 for Boston is opening. I can't find it on their site, it just says deadline is 1st January.
I am assuming it would be 1st July or 1st August.

Does anyone know when is the application cycle for 2014 for Boston is opening. I can't find it on their site, it just says deadline is 1st January.
I am assuming it would be 1st July or 1st August.

Application opens when CAAPID begins...so it is already open..they semt you email for supplementall application sometime around August...or may be lil early...

Thanks Raghav, I had talked to CAAPID guys last week and they said you have to check with universities when their application cycle opens and apply after that only. They also said they don't recommend we apply to universities from CAAPID before application cycle opens.
I called Boston univ. after I saw your message, and they said cycle is now open to apply.

do you know when they start sending the link for the supp application

do you know when they start sending the link for the supp application

this is still lil early for them...they will send it in a month or two...

Just a quick suggestion...apply as early as possible...because BU starts filling up the seats as soon as the interviews starts...

hi Raghav I ve a question caapid recently updated my transcripts and lors status but its being 10 days or more they are not showing anything in program designation I mean mailing section is blank what shud I do :scared:

hi Raghav I ve a question caapid recently updated my transcripts and lors status but its being 10 days or more they are not showing anything in program designation I mean mailing section is blank what shud I do :scared:

there is nothing to worry about..sometimes it happens..but just to keep yourself happy, call CAAPID and ask about it..i am sure they would say the same...you are totally fine..so dont worry..:)

CAAPID don't update the mailing date in program designation anymore. You'll see it blank even after 10 months :)

do you mean that all the applicants can not add any more schools to their applications . and did you call them ?

Hi Raghav thanks a lot I called caapid n they told me that they e-submit our application thats why mailing section is blank .Anyways thnx for your help God bless you

Guys I wanted to ask for some help regarding TOEFL! What's a good tip for preparation ! What should I do differently!