Boston University - 2015 Accepted Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Someone posted in the FB group asking if anyone else was doing a dual degree (I think she was MPH/MSW) and I wanted to reply with MPH/MRS, but only you guys get my humor. Le sigh.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still not sure about apartment hunting online. I'll be visiting Boston in the summer and I'll probably just do it then. Or it'll be better to have a potential roommate already stationed in Boston (visiting or living there) for the apartment search. I'm just super paranoid about signing a lease without seeing an apartment.

I know they tell people to look "now". But most tenants do not notify their landlords that they're leaving until 1-2 months in advance, so I'm sure there will be things available. One thing I'm not willing to do is rush into getting an apartment. Especially, a crappy one.

Also, a little off topic... But does anyone know when we're appointed an advisor? Do we pick them or do they pick us?

Apartment hunting online is a pain, especially when you're on another continent and your potential roommate is busy with school. I'm lucky because my potential roommate is awesome and is doing a lot of the search by herself, but we have to ask someone else to view the apartment for us.
I think when they send us our login/registration info, they'll give us our advisors...though one of the professors from my specification already helped me plan out my first semester xD I am really liking this private school admin, my public university made it obvious that they hated us

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey you guys, I won't be able to make it this Friday for Admitted Student's day. For those of you going, can you tell the rest of us of your experience? Thanks.

I just got here, and I will be happy to ask any questions you have. Just post them here or PM me. Then, this weekend, I'll post a rundown of all my thoughts and experiences.

Well, BU and I have made it official. We're going steady or whatever. I paid my deposit and I'm picking classes next week. My question is, will I be some form of something that ends with -cidal if I do intro to epi from 10:00 - 12:30 then biostats from 1:00 - 3:30 on the same day? I'm trying to make it so I have classes T/W/Th only, because I'm a brat like that. This works into that schedule, plus I really want to do day classes. Additionally, I'm going to do two more core classes, maybe three. Social and behavioral for sure, then likely health law. Thoughts?

So to all of you planning on attending BU, what made you choose this school? What did you like about it? Trying to decide between BU and two other schools right now. Don't have much time left.

As someone who is abroad and can't visit/do admitted student days, what's the deal with registering for classes? Are they really starting that next week? How does one go about that and will I be super behind if I only just submitted my deposit?? I feel like this is super early considering we haven't hit April 15th yet

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, BU and I have made it official. We're going steady or whatever. I paid my deposit and I'm picking classes next week. My question is, will I be some form of something that ends with -cidal if I do intro to epi from 10:00 - 12:30 then biostats from 1:00 - 3:30 on the same day? I'm trying to make it so I have classes T/W/Th only, because I'm a brat like that. This works into that schedule, plus I really want to do day classes. Additionally, I'm going to do two more core classes, maybe three. Social and behavioral for sure, then likely health law. Thoughts?

Can you map out how admitted students day went and how long it was? I think I'm going on the 17th :)

Lucky. Seems like USPS lost my deposit and intent to enroll. How long did it take for them to get your letter?

I handed it to Jonathan Cote at the event, so I don't really count. He was like, "Wow, really?" and I said, listen, being here was really a formality. No one was mean and screamed "Eww, shun the fat" so I'm here, take my money. I still haven't received my login for classes and stuff. They said that takes a few weeks, but I have like 3 sample class schedules worked out.

I handed it to Jonathan Cote at the event, so I don't really count. He was like, "Wow, really?" and I said, listen, being here was really a formality. No one was mean and screamed "Eww, shun the fat" so I'm here, take my money. I still haven't received my login for classes and stuff. They said that takes a few weeks, but I have like 3 sample class schedules worked out.

I figured out who you are on the FB page, girl you'll be fine! No one cares about your weight :)

I haven't received my login either, and I figured out what classes I want. Yay for overachievers @JewcyFruit
on a side note, I'm trying to figure out housing because my roommate decided not to attend BU. *cries*

Wow. I guess you just happened to be in boston?

It would've been funnier if you first told him that you were a courier hired by JewcyFruit to hand deliver her acceptance and that JewcyFruit is currently scaling Everest as part of a Nepalese hypoxia research project.

If I get into JHU I plan on a Katy Perry Super Bowlesque type entrance with me on a gigantic robotic mosquito as a nod to my interest in malaria research, followed by an official acceptance ceremony where the dean gives me the 'keys to the school' and the official school poet pays tribute to my planned concentration in global health and recites my class schedule in iambic pentameter as doves are released.

On a more serious note, what the heck'a hey hey is going on with bu's impending "messy year?" Are we talking messy like an exploding meatball in a microwave or the floor of a slaughter house after the cows have been de-boned?

I honestly can't tell if you're a troll, or if you just have so much time on your hands that you keep posting criticism of the program and its changes. We're not stupid - we know what we are getting into, and we're prepared for that. I have my fair share of criticism for the program, but there is always a way to make things work - I figured that out in my really unorganized and uncaring undergraduate school. We have committed, while you seem to be very interested in another school, which is perfectly ok - but your posts are starting to get annoying.

Reactions: 1 users
I honestly can't tell if you're a troll, or if you just have so much time on your hands that you keep posting criticism of the program and its changes. We're not stupid - we know what we are getting into, and we're prepared for that. I have my fair share of criticism for the program, but there is always a way to make things work - I figured that out in my really unorganized and uncaring undergraduate school. We have committed, while you seem to be very interested in another school, which is perfectly ok - but your posts are starting to get annoying.

Just interested in what was said regarding the changes coming to the school and if they're offering tuition discounts. Maybe I'd go to bu, maybe I wouldn't, (nobody can predict the future!) but it is instructive to understand why a school is making such changes, and what the pitfalls are during the transition time and how to avoid them.

I totally respect your decision to go to bu notwithstanding 'messy year' issues, but applicants also want to know about how the school is tackling this, it's not a criticism. Beyond just accepted students just basking the glow of a '2015 Accepted' thread, of course other posters will view the accepted students as unofficial ambassadors of the school and a source of information.

I'm a current BUSPH MPH student and would be happy to answer questions everyone! When I was applying, I wish there was a current student who would have been available to talk to so please reach out if you have any questions about the program/Boston/MPH in general
Can you tell me more about your experience with BU MPH epi? I am deciding between schools and want to get as much information as i can. I am new to this whole forum thing. was not sure how to contact you privately, even if that is possible?

Do we have to send in our deposit along with accepting our admissions by the 15th or postmarked by that date?

Do we have to send in our deposit along with accepting our admissions by the 15th or postmarked by that date?

Yes. Unless you notify them and tell them there will be a delay.

Okay. Someone told me to notify them that I will be attending BU and send my deposit. If I send it Monday (13th) it won't get there until Thursday at the earliest.

Okay. Someone told me to notify them that I will be attending BU and send my deposit. If I send it Monday (13th) it won't get there until Thursday at the earliest.

It'll be fine since it'll be postmarked on the 13th. Why don't you just drop it off today at the post office? USPS is open on Saturdays and mail circulates 24/7. Also, the Boston sorting facility is open until midnight, so it may come earlier. Make sure you write down the tracking number of the prepaid envelope that they sent so you can track it.

Good luck.

So, I've been MIA lately, because I'm lazy now that I'm officially a BU Biddy. I have my e-mail and I registered for classes today!! Who wants to compare schedules?

Monday: Environmental Health, 2:00 - 4:30
Tuesday: Intro to Epidemiology, 10:00 - 12:30; Biostatistics 1:00 - 3:30
Wednesday: Intro to Social and Behavioral Sciences, 10:00 - 12:30; Intro to Health Policy Management, 6:00 - 8:30

Registered today too. Can't wait for school to begin :)

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone else see on the Facebook group that someone posted something about a biology competency quiz? I've never heard of it. Have any of you? If so, care to share a link? Thanks!

AMEN GURL

Seriously @She-Hulk what is your deal?!?!??!!

Can you tell me more about your experience with BU MPH epi? I am deciding between schools and want to get as much information as i can. I am new to this whole forum thing. was not sure how to contact you privately, even if that is possible?

Hey there! I'm a current student and would be happy to answer any questions. I love BUSPH and all of their support, and the immense amount of knowledge I've gained here. What can I specifically answer for you?

Hey Guys! I've officially accepted the offer to attend BU and am now on the hunt for a roommate! Do any of you know what you're doing for housing or need a roomie??

Why is it that Nutella_lover constantly uses pseudo-hip slang and abbreviations in her posts and shoots off "praise" of BU that is generically meaningless and dripping with sarcasm, insults other posters, apparently mocks my aspirations for higher education, and takes pains to mention that she is a student at BUSPH? I think this person IS NOT a student at BUSPH but may be some misguided administrative staff or somebody practicing spamming, just sounds like somebody trying to come off like a student with all the pseudo-hip slang, caps and exclamation points. I have a friend (doing quite well at another school of public health thank you very much), who had a bizarre experience with folks in admission at BUSPH, amazingly I wouldn't even repeat it here as it sounded strange and slightly malicious, small chance maybe a misunderstanding, but this makes me wonder.

I'd suggest you stay off this thread. Nothing good can come of fighting since you're not a BU student and don't have a good opinion of it.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd suggest you stay off this thread. Nothing good can come of fighting since you're not a BU student and don't have a good opinion of it.

I really do not understand why she continually tries to drag this school. If you don't like BU, fine. But it's obsessive and weird at this point. And also irritating.

Terriers: our bite is worse than our bite. It's always the little dogs.