Boston University application advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leo_45

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! First time poster on SDN. I browsed the WAMC forum, but figured this would be a better place to post since it's school-specific. Please move it if I'm posting in the wrong spot!

So basically, Boston has been my dream medical school for a few years now, but I know that I would be on an uphill battle for acceptance. I just graduated college in May, and will be applying to schools next year! Here are my stats:
- MCAT: 516
- cGPA: 3.6
- sGPA: 3.4
I'm aware that I would be closer to the 10th percentile when it came to GPA and that the averages for acceptance are above what I have, but I was wondering if anyone who's been accepted to Boston (or in the small chance that someone with similar stats sees this) could offer me some advice on how to spend the next year in preparation for applying (especially what I can do to make myself a more attractive applicant for the program). Here are my current ECs', which might give some more guidance:
  • Hospital Volunteering, 200 hours
  • Clinical Volunteering, 200 hours
  • Shadowing, 100 hours
  • Working as a Clinical Research Coordinator for the next two years at a well funded, nationally-known hospital
  • 3 years of neuroscience undergraduate research (no publications)
  • 1 pending publication with local medical school
  • Unpaid preventative and public health internship at Chicago clinic for the local underserved Southeast Asian community, 2 years and counting (300 hours so far)
  • 5 executive board positions held during undergrad (for multiple years), helped start one of those organizations on my college campus (3 pre-medical, 1 cultural, 1 environmental)
  • Started volunteering at a food pantry last month, 190 hours by application time
  • Started volunteering for an organization that provides birthday parties for homeless children, 1 party per month
  • Will be co-facilitating a group session of elderly LGTBQ individuals at a clinic focused on bridging LGTBQ health disparities and discrimination

I know that that this is very specific advice I'm asking for, but I was wondering if Boston had any aspects they like to see in an applicant (such as schools like Loyola or Rush emphasizing underserved community service) in order to make myself more competitive for Boston's program. I realize that I probably don't have a snowball's chance in hell given my stats, and I do plan on applying broadly to about 30 schools or so, but I would really appreciate if anyone had some advice on what Boston likes to see on an application especially for someone in my situation. I just want to make myself as competitive as possible for my dream school, even if it's a stretch!
Thanks and sorry for the long post!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
BU, at least when I interviewed, seemed to really value exposure to URM populations. So if you don't have a significant number of hours volunteering/working with/being exposed to URM or even just underprivileged populations, you're not going to fit their school's mission. It seems you have a decent bit but if possible I would try and raise those numbers, especially in the clinical setting.

BU, at least when I interviewed, seemed to really value exposure to URM populations. So if you don't have a significant number of hours volunteering/working with/being exposed to URM or even just underprivileged populations, you're not going to fit their school's mission. It seems you have a decent bit but if possible I would try and raise those numbers, especially in the clinical setting.

Very good insight! I definitely figured as much, and was sort of wondering if that URM exposure would properly show my passion for working with these communities. What would you consider to be a "good" amount of experience? Not really sure based on what I've seen.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think good rule of thumb is to never get too attached to any one program. Even for those with higher stats, can never predict what will happen. Looks like you have performed some very meaningful ECs though =]

Reactions: 1 user
Where else are you applying? Do you have the MSAR? How do you stats look compared BU's? Are you URM? Can you speak
A second language?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Where else are you applying? Do you have the MSAR? How do you stats look compared BU's? Are you URM? Can you speak
A second language?

I have the MSAR, and the 10% is 3.49, and my MCAT is their median. Not an URM, conversationally speak a second language.

Well you are certainly within reach but as others have said don't focus on just one school. You might be greatly disappointed. Good luck!

Well you are certainly within reach but as others have said don't focus on just one school. You might be greatly disappointed. Good luck!

Thanks for the insight! I definitely know that it would be foolish to put all my eggs in one basket, and I plan on applying to about ~35 more schools. I just wanted to see what people thought about my realistic chances at Boston since it's been such a dream for me to attend.