Boston University Class of 2014!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agl5008

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

There's no thread yet for our class, so I figured I would start one. Congratulations to those who are in!:) And good luck to those who are still waiting for responses!:oops:

I'm actually not decided yet on which school to go to, and I'm hoping this thread will bring some new students as well as upperclassmen to let us know what BU is like. One thing is I wanna know what classes are like--do a lot of people go to lecture and lab? Is there a good mix of small group and lecture-based learning (I've talked to one student who says that the small group learning in first year is a bit of a joke, but does it get better in second year?--small group learning is really important to me)? Do people study together? How many students who go there are interested in primary care?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

just got accepted! also not decided yet, but very happy and love BU!

why is there like no post in this thread? I am a january acceptee who hasn't made a decision yet but I am leaning toward BU! Who here is seriously considering going to BU?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure why so few people have joined the thread...maybe there aren't very many accepted students yet. I got a january acceptance as well. It's very likely that I'm going to attend BU, and right now I'm looking at housing in West Malden/East Medford Area. Are you guys gonna visit on the second-look day?

I am going to attend the second look with my parents. We just booked flights for it. I'm really excited about it! Speaking of which I should respond on the online application site too.

I have started poking around at housing too but it's hard to seriously start looking without knowing how two of my post-interview hold schools will play out. Ideally though I want to live in Southend with about $800 rent, but that seemed pretty difficult from my preliminary search. Where is medford area? Is it easily accessible?

I am going to attend the second look with my parents. We just booked flights for it. I'm really excited about it! Speaking of which I should respond on the online application site too.

I have started poking around at housing too but it's hard to seriously start looking without knowing how two of my post-interview hold schools will play out. Ideally though I want to live in Southend with about $800 rent, but that seemed pretty difficult from my preliminary search. Where is medford area? Is it easily accessible?

That's cool. So I'll see you there, I guess. The southend is fairly expensive I believe, but don't take my word for it. Medford is north of center city. If you live next to the train station, it's a little bit more than half and hour to commute; but it's also a little cheaper I think. I probably won't be able to live near the medical campus, because I'll be living with my significant other, who has to commute up to new hampshire to go to school. But students live all over the city, aparently, so I don't think I'll be completely isolated.

There's facebook group now for the 2014 class, and people are talking about second look day and housing. You should check it out.

Hi all,
Congrats on the acceptance to BU. I'm a 4th year almost done with school here. I thought I would chime in and help out with some housing questions.

Medford is a few mile away and would take a fair amount of time on public transport, it is significantly cheaper than the southend. But if you plan on driving you probably would need to pay for parking at BU which is between 150-250 a month for a spot, so factor that in.

In the southend, it is definitely walkable and no need for a car. Rent on 800 is doable with a roommate. You can find some places with 2beds for 1600, but realistically probably be closer to 2000. A lot of my classmates found places and shared apts to control cost.

I lived in the Southend for 1/2 year in a studio that was about 1300/month. Then I moved out for 3rd year to a cheaper place in waltham, which is about 10 miles away and just drove in, but rent was only 700/month. This year I've been bouncing around the country for rotations and just subletted a place for the few months I been in boston.

Congrats again!
Let me know if you have any questions,
pop

just for clarification.... is medford where tufts undergrad is located? is this the same medford or does my memory serve me incorrectly?

Popbirch, thanks for clarifying about the housing. If you don't mind, I have some questions about BUSM.

1. Looking at the academic calender, it seems like daily schedule is 8-5pm. While I am a lecture person so I plan to attend most of the lectures, how much of other things are mandatory to attend? In other words, do we get few afternoons off? Also does schedule get better once anatomy is over? Do you feel like you are in classroom for way too long?

2. I was told that during 3/4th year, you have to travel a lot to do rotations. About how much of rotation is done at BMC? For someone who don't feel comfortable driving in Boston (I am a terrible driver), would the traveling be very bothersome during 3rd and 4th year? How does people deal with these issues?

Thank you in advance!

1. The schedules have changed some since I was a first year so I can't speak as to how exactly it works right now. However, when I was a first year I remember I schedule saying we would be in class til 5 but I was almost always home by like 2 or 3. The thing that is really nice about med school is that you can just go to the stuff that is effective for your learning and skip most everything else. Anatomy and anatomy lab will take up a fair chunk of time, thats true. The spring of 1st and 2nd year you can almost always have the afternoons off. That was my experience at least.

2. I ended up traveling for 3 rotations out of 18 blocks, which is about 3 months total. I have a car so that made things easy. Most med students at BU don't have cars and you can make 3/4th year work without a car. You are never on the rotation by yourself so more often than not someone is willing to drive. I often took classmates with me on the blocks with travel. I never had to travel for more than a month at a time, so renting a car for a month is another option as well. A lot of the rotations that are away from BMC are at the VA, which is just a bus ride from BU. My sense from my classmates that didn't have cars was that it wasn't too much hassle to find rides for the few rotations that were away.

Hey guys, congrats on your acceptance to BU!

I'm a first year here and I'm very happy with things so far. Hopefully I can answer some of your questions about preclinical stuff.

Popbirch, thanks for clarifying about the housing. If you don't mind, I have some questions about BUSM.

1. Looking at the academic calender, it seems like daily schedule is 8-5pm. While I am a lecture person so I plan to attend most of the lectures, how much of other things are mandatory to attend? In other words, do we get few afternoons off? Also does schedule get better once anatomy is over? Do you feel like you are in classroom for way too long?

One thing is I wanna know what classes are like--do a lot of people go to lecture and lab? Is there a good mix of small group and lecture-based learning (I've talked to one student who says that the small group learning in first year is a bit of a joke, but does it get better in second year?--small group learning is really important to me)? Do people study together? How many students who go there are interested in primary care?

How many afternoons are free varies during the year, but roughly: in the fall you have IP (which is the case-based group class) and ICM where you learn to do patient interviews ~ one afternoon/week each and depending on the anatomy dissection schedule you'll have none to most of the other afternoons free, for neuro (december and january) class starts at 9 and lectures are done by 1 with lab/small group discussion until 3 a few days a week. In the spring you have most afternoon's free (IP and ICM once a week) and definitely nothing that would go till five except for your ICM which in the spring is a one on one placement with a physician to work on your physical exam/interview.

Except for ICM, IP and the anatomy and histology labs, nothing is mandatory. The nice thing is that this lets people cater to what works for them and fits their learning style. I go to almost all of the lectures (most of which are very good, some not so good), but most people don't physically attend a lot of the lectures (they are all on video though and I think most people watch them). Most people do go the the physiology discussions (small group of students with a faculty member going through problems) and in general I found them to be very helpful. Whether there is too much class time depends on your learning style, but there is very little that you need to go to so most people figure out what works for them.

As far as small group learning vs lecture, the curriculum is definitely tilted towards lecture (which I like, but different strokes for different folks). I've found the histo labs and neuro and physio discussions to be very good and helpful in learning the material (these are 10-20 students/faculty). The case-based learning class can seem like something of a throwaway first year, especially in the beginning since most people know so little. That said, I've enjoyed mine and felt like it was a good experience and gets you familiar with uptodate and researching topics you don't know about. Plus, I've already noticed that it is better this semester since we can actually talk through the physiology and figure out what is going on as a group and I think that trajectory continues next year. They do a good job of integrating it with the other coursework, but it is more like an addendum on to your other work and not the main mode of teaching like at some schools.

The students here are great and many people study together/have study groups and people are very helpful (send out study guides etc.). It seems like there are a good number of students interested in primary care and there are several programs that are catered to students interested in primary care (they can have all their ICM placements at the same community health center etc.). However, the caveat is that I'm sure there are more 1st years interested in primary care at pretty much all med schools than actually go into it.

also, for a more accurate academic calendar go to mybumc.com

Anyways, feel free to keep asking questions and I'll do my best to answer them. Good luck w/your decisions and congrats again!

Hey guys, congrats on your acceptance to BU!

I'm a first year here and I'm very happy with things so far. Hopefully I can answer some of your questions about preclinical stuff.

so i know that the pre-clinical is pass/fail....but how pass/fail is it? like....does BU record your percents on the tests and blocks and use them for internal ranking for AOA or for the Dean's Letter? Or are percents just thrown out the window altogether?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, thats a good question that I should know the answer to but don't. The feel is very p/f and I've never heard anybody talking about our scores being recorded/stressing about getting a 90 instead of a 100 because they're gunning for AOA. That said, I don't know for sure, so I'll look into it and get back to you.

Hmm, thats a good question that I should know the answer to but don't. The feel is very p/f and I've never heard anybody talking about our scores being recorded/stressing about getting a 90 instead of a 100 because they're gunning for AOA. That said, I don't know for sure, so I'll look into it and get back to you.

thanks. i'm very curious as i just found out that my state school, which is pass/fail, does this....which i don't like. completely undermines the point of pass/fail.

thanks. i'm very curious as i just found out that my state school, which is pass/fail, does this....which i don't like. completely undermines the point of pass/fail.

I'm a second year at BU...the system is fully pass/fail and I believe that there's no internal rankings at all. AOA is through Step 1 scores and third-year clerkships scores/recs.

Hey guys,
I'm finishing my first year, and in case any of you are planning to be in Boston over the summer before beginning medical school (SUPER HUGE CONGRATS!!), I am subletting my apartment in Cambridge for June and July. You would pay $900/month and have awesome roommates. The apartment is beautiful. Your room would be fully furnished but there is lots of storage space as well. Cambridge is actually really convenient to BU too- just get on the No. 1 bus in Central Sq and it takes you all the way to BMC.
Let me know if you are interested or have any questions.
~Kat

First of all, congrats everyone!

I'm finishing up my first year and am moving out of my apt at James Court next year.

James Court is literally a 30 sec walk to school (which was incredibly convenient for those rainy/ windy/ snowy days.)

It's a brand new 7-story building with an on-site fitness center, 24 hr concierge (good security, takes care of all your packages, 24 hr coffee and tea!), and available garage parking.

For anyone that's visiting for second-look and is looking for housing for next school year, PM me and we can arrange something this weekend.

http://www.jamescourtboston.com/

It's pricey but worth it. James court takes care of everything you need. Clean, luxurious, and convenient.

Thank you everyone who has answered question so far! I received my financial aid package and while I was pleasantly surprised at the BU institutional aid, I was also shocked by estimated 3rd and 4th year COA. COA is expected to increase from $72,000 to $82,000 by the 3rd year. I'm really scared by this $82,000 number. I am trying to make a more realistic version of budget for myself, and I was wondering what can I cut down? For example, what constitutes fees? Is health insurance included in the fee, and if I have outside health insurance, can I expect not to pay this money? Estimated cost for book/supply is ~$3000, but I am budgeting about ~$1000 for myself. Is this reasonable?

I'm trying to budget as following: 2010-2011
Tuition: $48,116 -> $48,116
School Fee $2981 -> $2981
Books $2960 -> $1000
Room and board $12,614 -> $10,000 (im looking at few apts that cost less than $750 right now)
personal expense $3219 -> $2500
transportation $2060 -> $800
Total: $71,850 -> $65,397

Thank you everyone who has answered question so far! I received my financial aid package and while I was pleasantly surprised at the BU institutional aid, I was also shocked by estimated 3rd and 4th year COA. COA is expected to increase from $72,000 to $82,000 by the 3rd year. I'm really scared by this $82,000 number. I am trying to make a more realistic version of budget for myself, and I was wondering what can I cut down? For example, what constitutes fees? Is health insurance included in the fee, and if I have outside health insurance, can I expect not to pay this money? Estimated cost for book/supply is ~$3000, but I am budgeting about ~$1000 for myself. Is this reasonable?

Books $2960 -> $1000
Room and board $12,614 -> $10,000 (im looking at few apts that cost less than $750 right now)

Health insurance is included in the fees, I think the only mandatory fee is $500 if I remember correctly. So, if you take out the health insurance from fees, you'll only be left with 500 for fees, which is covered with your tuition deposit anyways that you are paying right now. You can def get away with 1000 for books your first year. Most of the books they "require" you don't even need except Netter's and maybe a few other useful books. You'll be mostly buying review books, which are most useful for your classes and you can buy them on amazon which are usually cheaper. If you live outside of South End, your room/board will also be much cheaper. A lot of people live around BU undergrad area, including Allston, which is much cheaper than around BMC. Personal expensive is your own choices, so that's up to you. Transportation...I don't even know what they count in that for 1st years except traveling for ICM1, and there's no way you need 2000 for that.

Books $2960 -> $1000

Ditto eagle, and I'd say that you will probably need significantly less than 1000 for books first year. The syllabi are all comprehensive enough to where you don't need any textbooks (except netter). Getting some review books is definitely good, but I'd be surprised if more than a few people spent more than 500 bucks on books first year. You can opt out of the insurance if you have your own (but make sure it meets massachusets minimum insurance requirements).

I think that your budget looks reasonable. Part of the reason that the costs jump up for 3rd and 4th year is that they assume a full year of living expenses, but they also overestimate the actual costs of living expenses so...

Books $2960 -> $1000

One other thing is that interviewing and doing away sub-i's 4th year has the potential to get very expensive (this is not specific to BU), so make sure to budget that in when the time comes.

Hi everyone! I just got accepted off the waitlist last week. I know it was off the waitlist, but it's an acceptance nonetheless. :D I'm definitely attending in the fall so I just wanted to drop in and say HIIII to my future classmates.

One other thing is that interviewing and doing away sub-i's 4th year has the potential to get very expensive (this is not specific to BU), so make sure to budget that in when the time comes.

I am a dentist DMD and i want to have a MD degree as well. Do you guys know how many years does it take?

Congrats Bnh10! Welcome to BUSM!

and Taly, the only path I've heard of for dentists getting an MD is in an OMFS residency, and I think it adds an extra two years to the residency. If there are any other programs that give a dual degree I haven't heard of it and you'd probably have better luck enquiring in the dental forums.

Hey guys.

This thread hasn't seen a lot of action lately, but I figured I'd give it a shot anyway.

Where are you guys looking for room mates? Ideally I'd like to room with another first year med student, but I haven't been having a lot of luck on craigslist. Additionally, I've tried signing up for that uroomsurf (whatever is being advertised on that c/o 2014 roommate facebook group [http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=173710408122#!/group.php?gid=133333614420&ref=ts]), but the website keeps breaking whenever I try to submit the profile questions.

Also, to any current BUSM students or knowledgeable Bostonians in general: Do you have any recommendations for other places to look for room mates other than craigslist? What cities are ok to live in and are an acceptable train/bus ride away from the medical campus?

Or maybe I'll just ask here: Anyone looking for a 25 year-old male room mate who's interested in living close to school? I don't have an apartment picked out yet, but living space, at least to me, isn't nearly as important as finding a good room mate. I'm a good guy (no convictions, drug addictions) and a solid room-mate (clean, no pets, like to share etc...), so if you're in the same boat as I am, send me a message and we'll talk!

Thanks,
Jim

P.S. here's a link to a craiglist ad I put up. It does a little better job describing me: https://post.craigslist.org/bos/H/sha/gbs/x/YGKmbjtr7gYTSu8S/S3geb

Last edited:
Basically there are two things that come into play when deciding where to in Boston with relation to BUSM.

1. Total time spent commuting
2. Cost of apartment

Personally, I have lived in Allston (where the BU undergrad campus is) and commuted to BUSM. While the cost of living in Allston is much lower than in the Back Bay/South End (near BUSM) the commute time can FLUCTUATE RADICALLY. What I mean by that is no matter if you take BU shuttle from the undergrad or the MBTA, you should expect delays due to road construction and/or traffic.

I now live in the South End and it takes me literally 5 minutes to walk to school.

I value having the extra 60-100 minutes a day use how I please (gym, study, relax for a bit, etc.) more than sitting on a bus and being at the whims of the commuter gods! :laugh:

You can get to BUSM by bike from Allston/Brighton in about 25 minutes but remember to factor in the weather.

One last thing is the surrounding environment of the towns. Living up by the undergrad campus definitely gets you away from the daily grind at school. It is also more "suburban" which is nice if you like to get out and do a little running from time to time.

Living near by BUSM (south end/back bay) is a little more pricey becasue you are closer to things in the city like the restaurants, downtown, boston commons, and fenway.

Maybe this will help you decide.

Oh and make sure you try to get a lease that includes heat and hot water in the monthly rental cost!

Hey everyone,

There's no thread yet for our class, so I figured I would start one. Congratulations to those who are in!:) And good luck to those who are still waiting for responses!:oops:

I'm actually not decided yet on which school to go to, and I'm hoping this thread will bring some new students as well as upperclassmen to let us know what BU is like. One thing is I wanna know what classes are like--do a lot of people go to lecture and lab? Is there a good mix of small group and lecture-based learning (I've talked to one student who says that the small group learning in first year is a bit of a joke, but does it get better in second year?--small group learning is really important to me)? Do people study together? How many students who go there are interested in primary care?

Thanks a lot in advance!
can you please tell me about the interview process for 2014, i got iv and wanna know how is going there? thanks