Boston University MAMS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FormerPhysicist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's a new year, so it's time to start up a thread for the next BU MAMS class. I've heard great things about this program and plan on applying soon (although I'd like to actually visit Boston first). Just a few questions/concerns off the top of my head to get the thread rolling:

-I've heard that MAMS applicants are set in a separate pool from regular applicants come AMCAS time. I've also heard that the "linkage" to BU is fairly weak. Would it be fair to say that those who matriculate to BU from the MAMS had higher stats/MCAT in undergrad than their classmates? Or is it more based on performance in the program?

-Although the program can be done in one year, I would likely want to do it in two. However, if medical schools are changing their pre-requisites to follow the new MCAT, I'm worried that my undergrad work won't be enough. I have a similar concern that my MCAT from 2013 might expire.

-I might be wrong, but I think I remember reading something about being able to do the second year of the program away from the BU campus. Would it be possible for me to return to the southern US for the second year if I wanted to?

Also, any commentary on life in Boston would be great. I've never even been to the Northeast, much less Boston (although again, I plan on visiting soon).

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone!

I'm currently in my second year of the Boston University MAMS program and am a member of the Graduate Medical Sciences Student Organization MAMS Subcommittee. I can try to answer questions based on my personal experiences and direct you toward other helpful resources. If you check out last year's 2013-2014 thread, I can vouch for crookedreality as a former MAMS Subcomittee member, knowledgable source of information, and all-around awesome person.

-I've heard that MAMS applicants are set in a separate pool from regular applicants come AMCAS time. I've also heard that the "linkage" to BU is fairly weak. Would it be fair to say that those who matriculate to BU from the MAMS had higher stats/MCAT in undergrad than their classmates? Or is it more based on performance in the program?

MAMS applicants to BUSM are considered separately, but I can't speak to their stats relative to the rest of the BUSM class. BU does not automatically accept the top percentile of the MAMS class or offer automatic interviews to everyone with a certain GPA or anything else like that. But performing well in the program, improving grades, conducting oneself with professionalism, and demonstrating a passion and dedication to medicine will improve the chances of getting in anywhere, including BU.

-Although the program can be done in one year, I would likely want to do it in two. However, if medical schools are changing their pre-requisites to follow the new MCAT, I'm worried that my undergrad work won't be enough. I have a similar concern that my MCAT from 2013 might expire.

I know nothing about changes in premed requirements, but it would be pretty rotten of schools to change pre-requisites without giving pre-med students a couple years warning so they know to take those classes! Most schools accept MCATS that are up to 3 years old, but it varies from school to school. They usually specify on their websites. This year BUSM, for example, stated "The oldest MCAT scores considered for entry in 2014 will be the April 2010 tests." http://www.bumc.bu.edu/admissions/applicationprocess/requirements/

-I might be wrong, but I think I remember reading something about being able to do the second year of the program away from the BU campus. Would it be possible for me to return to the southern US for the second year if I wanted to?

Yes! Theses can be completed off campus. You'd need one reader who is a BU Graduate Medical Sciences (GMS) faculty member, and your off-campus advisor would need to fill out a GMS special services appointment form.

Also, any commentary on life in Boston would be great. I've never even been to the Northeast, much less Boston (although again, I plan on visiting soon).

I came to Boston from a lifetime in California with two suitcases and a pair of crossed fingers. I'd never visited the city before moving here, and only briefly spent one summer on the east coast. But I must have gotten really lucky because I LOVE BOSTON thus far and will probably stay here for med school if I don't get into any California schools. The city rent is expensive, the winter is cold, and the summer is (relatively) sweaty, but this place has incredible character. The public transportation gets you anywhere, the South End (where the BU med campus is located) has lots of beautiful streets and tasty restaurants, and there is always something to do or someplace to visit. And if you don't like it then don't worry; you'll probably spend all your time in class or in the library studying, anyway ;)

Thanks for the detailed response, that more or less resolves all the questions I had about the program. Every MAMS review I've seen on SDN seemed positive and they all seemed to genuinely like the program. All the positivity is making it hard to not choose Boston. I sort of wish they had a page detailing where their graduates get into, but with the large class size, I can see why that would be an issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got accepted into BU MAMS for fall of 2014! Anyone else know if they're accepted yet?

I just got accepted into BU MAMS for fall of 2014! Anyone else know if they're accepted yet?

Yup! Submitted 1/17, heard back and accepted yesterday, 2/5. Probably helps that I am a BU alum since they have all me files on hand.

Awesome! It's so nice that they let people know so quickly. Now I just have to figure out where I'm going to live.

Awesome! It's so nice that they let people know so quickly. Now I just have to figure out where I'm going to live.

Yup! I applied to Tufts too so I'm still waiting on that decision, which should be soon. Kind of leaning towards Tufts but I don't think I can go wrong with either schools.

I currently live in Boston and have so for the last six years, so feel free to PM me if you have questions with where to live, etc!

Yes, they are considered in a separate pool. There is an admissions committee that specifically considers applications from MAMS graduates.

You are correct that the linkage between the GMS program and BUSM is weak, but there is a linkage. There is no guaranteed interview or admission for MAMS students, but doing well in the program will give you a leg up come application season.

So far as I can tell, the people that were admitted to the medical school from MAMS worked hard, did well, played nice, and interacted with the faculty. Performance in the program matters more, but previous academic performance does matter, to some degree (almost didn't get admitted to BUSM because of my undergrad grades!).

Tough one. How far back schools will accept an MCAT score varies considerably, though when I was applying, the average seemed to be 3. I had to retake my MCAT, even though I was relatively happy with my score, because it just wasn't going to be current enough come application time. Even so, I did the program in one year, mostly because I'm old and I didn't want to spend yet another year away from my then-fiancee, adding another 50K of debt before med school even began!

Yep. It doesn't matter where you do your second year (provided you have completed your coursework, of course).

I wasn't born in Massachusetts. I didn't grow up in Massachusetts. I have no family in Massachusetts. But Boston is my home. Love, love, love this place. The history is great, the spirit is great, the people are great, the sports are awesome, it's a walkable city, etc., etc., etc. Just be ready for cold and snow. Because that's not so great. And rent. Rent isn't great, either.

I wasn't born in Massachusetts. I didn't grow up in Massachusetts. I have no family in Massachusetts. But Boston is my home. Love, love, love this place. The history is great, the spirit is great, the people are great, the sports are awesome, it's a walkable city, etc., etc., etc. Just be ready for cold and snow. Because that's not so great.

This is what I like to hear about a city. The cities I've lived in/around have been way too dangerous to be considered "walkable" for the most part, and my spouse is thrilled about getting a chance live there (assuming she can find a job, the nursing job market is absolutely brutal in Boston).

And rent. Rent isn't great, either.

But this worries me. I have no idea how anyone affords the housing I've been looking at in Fenway and Brookline. $2500-4000 per month sounds insane. I'm assuming students are taking out extra loans to cover these places, but even so, that's a lot of money added to the cost of the program.

Yup! Submitted 1/17, heard back and accepted yesterday, 2/5. Probably helps that I am a BU alum since they have all me files on hand.

How were you notified? I applied early of January, haven't heard back.

Anyone ok with sharing your stats?

Students live all over Boston, depending on safety, budget, proximity to school, etc. It is very "walkable" city and the public transportation can get you everywhere, but some folks like to live closer to campus for a convenient commute. The BU Office of Housing Resources has a handy guide for renting in Boston and links describing the various neighborhoods. There's also a chart of approximate rent by neighborhood. It can get very expensive, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't an acceptable studio or one-bedroom available for under $2500/month.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been accepted into this program, and I am excited to start!

Hey guys,
I am a Canadian (international for BU) student. Got accepted today (submitted my application last week!). I did not get into any Canadian med schools and I am waiting to hear back from a couple of US schools but no luck yet ( I submitted my secondaries really late-mid November so maybe thats why). So my question is, with my stats (cGPA 3.7, last two years 3.98, MCAT 31), is BU a good program for me or should I just apply again to med next year and not do a masters? I am just wondering how much this masters would help my application in general for American schools since its only 12 months and by the time I apply again, no school will even have my marks for this program?

Hey guys,
I am a Canadian (international for BU) student. Got accepted today (submitted my application last week!). I did not get into any Canadian med schools and I am waiting to hear back from a couple of US schools but no luck yet ( I submitted my secondaries really late-mid November so maybe thats why). So my question is, with my stats (cGPA 3.7, last two years 3.98, MCAT 31), is BU a good program for me or should I just apply again to med next year and not do a masters? I am just wondering how much this masters would help my application in general for American schools since its only 12 months and by the time I apply again, no school will even have my marks for this program?
Just sent you a message. This would be good to discuss with your premed advisor who is familiar with the rest of your application.

You are right...Thanks :) I wish Canadian schools had premed advisors :(

Just sent you a message. This would be good to discuss with your premed advisor who is familiar with the rest of your application.

Do you mind sharing your advice? I am wondering if doing this program with a 3.7 is not the right path.

Do you mind sharing your advice? I am wondering if doing this program with a 3.7 is not the right path.
BU's MAMS program is great for giving students a sense of what classes are like during the first year of medical school and giving them the chance to show improvement in their grades. The first year of MAMS is academically intense, and you will have little/no time to enhance your extracurricular experiences. Every student is different and some may find MAMS to be more helpful than others. Students whose GPAs are already competitive should talk to a premed advisor about extracurricular activities (volunteering, research, work, clinical experiences, etc.), MCAT scores, the advantages of reapplying earlier, and other aspects of their application that could be problematic. If you've already applied and been rejected from a med school, try contacting the admissions office to see what they thought was weak about your application. If you don't have an advising resource, our program director Dr. Offner is very knowledgable and may be able to offer some insight. It would be a shame to spend an entire year's time and tuition in a program that might not especially benefit you, but neither do you want to go through the expensive and time-consuming application process unsuccessfully.
Please note: I'm just a student myself and am not associated with admissions. My advice is to talk to the professionals!

Hey all,

I was just accepted today too!!! Very excited. Is anyone going to the open house March 21st? I'm still waiting to here back from Georgetown and Tufts (wait listed at Cincinnati), so I would really like to get a feel for the program.

Is anyone going to the open house March 21st?

I'll be at the open house and so will several other MAMS students, former-MAMS-now-BU-medical students, our program director, and probably a few faculty members as well. We hope it'll give you a chance to explore Boston, get a sense of what Boston University MAMS is like, and have your questions answered firsthand. See you there!

I'll be at the open house and so will several other MAMS students, former-MAMS-now-BU-medical students, our program director, and probably a few faculty members as well. We hope it'll give you a chance to explore Boston, get a sense of what Boston University MAMS is like, and have your questions answered firsthand. See you there!
I would love to attend but I will be out of town that day, do you know if they also do open houses later on or if this is the only one?

Hey all,

I was just accepted today too!!! Very excited. Is anyone going to the open house March 21st? I'm still waiting to here back from Georgetown and Tufts (wait listed at Cincinnati), so I would really like to get a feel for the program.
Congrats! Just your opinion on Tufts vs BU?

Do they send a confirmation email or anything like that when you submit? I'm not sure if I'm complete but I submitted everything last week.

Do they send a confirmation email or anything like that when you submit? I'm not sure if I'm complete but I submitted everything last week.

I just emailed Lynesse Wallace and she told me I was complete

I would love to attend but I will be out of town that day, do you know if they also do open houses later on or if this is the only one?
There should be another open house sometime in June, near the date of the BUMC Housing Fair.

how many students enroll at boston university medical school next year without a gap?

Anyone accepted this year thinking about moving to Boston in June and studying for the MCAT before class starts?

how many students enroll at boston university medical school next year without a gap?
A few students start medical school without a gap year. They would already have to start applying to medical schools the summer before MAMS classes begin. As a second year MAMS student, I can only think of a couple of my MAMS classmates who are currently first year BUSM students.

I have no idea.... I just found out today that I got into Georgetown as well. I honestly didn't expect to get into all of these programs and now am really struggling to make a decision. My stats aren't that great (3.0 sGPA, 3.25 cGPA 32M) but I guess I have pretty good EC (lots of research, shadowing, volunteering, leadership). Anyone else deciding between Georgetown, Tufts, or Boston?

It seems that Georgetown is better at getting their people straight into medical school but BU and Tufts seems to have a better support staff and city environment. Also, Georgetown is sooooo expensive. Anybody else have thoughts?

Also, I realized that I didn't answer your question at all. haha. I have no idea. I set up a brief Tufts visit for when I am at BU and could probably give you more insight after that.

I don't know the exact number but I know that "only" 25-35 students get into BU medical school from the MAMS each year. So I would imagine that a vast majority of those are people that have completed their first year. It is my impression that BU's goal isn't to get people into their program but rather medical school in general. I also have a friend that is currently in the program and he said that most people don't apply the first year. He said that there definitely were people that did and were successful in getting interviews. I just don't think the BU programs is necessarily designed to apply the first year like Georgetown or Cincinnati's is. Hope this helps

I have no idea.... I just found out today that I got into Georgetown as well. I honestly didn't expect to get into all of these programs and now am really struggling to make a decision. My stats aren't that great (3.0 sGPA, 3.25 cGPA 32M) but I guess I have pretty good EC (lots of research, shadowing, volunteering, leadership). Anyone else deciding between Georgetown, Tufts, or Boston?

It seems that Georgetown is better at getting their people straight into medical school but BU and Tufts seems to have a better support staff and city environment. Also, Georgetown is sooooo expensive. Anybody else have thoughts?
Congrats on getting in! I didnt apply to Georgetown but I think from my research that would be your best bet. Let me know your thoughts when you visit, I would love some insight!

Got my acceptance today (stats: 3.3/31). Assuming a couple of other things fall into place, this is most likely the program I'm going to attend, so I'm pretty happy right now. After a year full of rejections from medical schools, an acceptance feels really good.

Also, I'm really impressed with the admissions department for this program. The turnaround time on my application from completion to acceptance was less than two weeks.

Hey guys, a BU MAMS hopeful writing here and wanted to ask some questions…did anyone apply to this program with a GRE? if so, I would really appreciate if you could share some stats- don't know if its disadvantageous to submit GRE rather than a MCAT :(

Same thing here... Is GRE enough to apply to BU MAMS? All the other things are in check (research, community, grades)... Any thoughts?

I applied with just my GRE and I got in about a month ago. I actually emailed Gwynneth to see if MCAT was preferable, and she told me it didn't matter either way.
If it helps, my stats are:
V 164
Q 166
A 4.0

I applied with just my GRE and I got in about a month ago. I actually emailed Gwynneth to see if MCAT was preferable, and she told me it didn't matter either way.
If it helps, my stats are:
V 164
Q 166
A 4.0
wow congrats! thats an encouragement. my scores aren't as good as yours but that gave me some relief. thanks!

@Finnick and @novemberleft Thanks a lot!! Mine are somewhat close to yours, so it gives me hope. Hope there are still slots left though..Considering you already got in a month ago, wonder how many people are already accepted though..

sooo…whats like the average wait time from submitting your application to getting a decision??

Does anyone know how many students get into allopathic vs osteopathic from boston mams? I saw the alumni school list, but it doesn't have dates or number of students for each school.

Just got accepted into the MAMS program. Could anyone shed some light on it? I've read some of the reviews but would like to learn more. Additionally, how would a program like this stack up against Barry's MBS program?

Thanks for the help!

Just got accepted into the MAMS program. Could anyone shed some light on it? I've read some of the reviews but would like to learn more. Additionally, how would a program like this stack up against Barry's MBS program?

Thanks for the help!

Congratulations on the acceptance! Do you mind sharing your stats and the day you were complete? I'm still waiting on a decision.

Congratulations on the acceptance! Do you mind sharing your stats and the day you were complete? I'm still waiting on a decision.

Thank you!

Mid 20's MCAT
3.4 GPA (cumulative and science)

I was complete, I believe, on 3/4. Notified via email on the 26th of March.

If I can help you out any other way, feel free to message me! :D

Actually I just got my acceptance email! I'm so excited now lol. I was just about to apply elsewhere cause I was getting nervous about not hearing back!

I'm not sure if any of the current MAMS students in this thread live in the Brookline area, but if so, how is the commute to and from the BUSM campus? I've heard/read good things about the neighborhood, but I'm a little concerned about the distance. Judging by what I've read about the Boston housing market, the time for me to start looking is now, so I'm hoping to get things squared away soon.

Also on a semi-related note, are class lectures posted online, or is daily attendance mandatory?

I'm not sure if any of the current MAMS students in this thread live in the Brookline area, but if so, how is the commute to and from the BUSM campus? I've heard/read good things about the neighborhood, but I'm a little concerned about the distance. Judging by what I've read about the Boston housing market, the time for me to start looking is now, so I'm hoping to get things squared away soon.

Also on a semi-related note, are class lectures posted online, or is daily attendance mandatory?

It depends on where you live in Brookline, how you plan to commute, and when you plan to commute (e.g. in morning traffic). With public transportation, I'd estimate 30-45 minutes each way (check out this map with time estimates). The neighborhood is nice, especially around Coolidge Corner if you like Trader Joe's. BUMC's Housing Resource Guides has a handy guide to Boston's Neighborhoods with general information about the area, safety information, approximate rents, and transportation times.

Most MAMS lectures in are video recorded and posted the next day, but attendance is still highly recommended for lecture and mandatory for small group discussions and labs. Cellular Organization of Tissues (COT) factors participation into final grades. Class time is your chance to be an engaged listener, be an active participant, and get to know your professors.