Boston University MAMS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else accept their admission?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not going to accept until I hear back from Tufts. Has anyone started looking for housing yet?

Yup. Heard it's smart to lock down a place before June.

If anyone is looking for housing PM me, I'm definitely looking for a few roommates :)

Yup. Heard it's smart to lock down a place before June.

If anyone is looking for housing PM me, I'm definitely looking for a few roommates :)

You paid deposit to reserve spot? Would anyone else recommend doing so? Just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing

For those accepted,

Does anyone know when we should expect to hear about financial aid details (FAFSA, etc.)?

Thanks!

Edit: Just saw the email!

Last edited:
Does anyone have an idea at how many individuals apply for this program? Also, how big this class size might be?

Thanks

Does anyone have an idea at how many individuals apply for this program? Also, how big this class size might be?

Thanks

I'm not sure how many people apply, but each class is composed of about 160-170 students (see FAQ here).

Anyone who's already sent in their deposit: On the deposit form, do we leave the BU ID space blank? I don't think they've assigned me an ID number yet

Anyone who's already sent in their deposit: On the deposit form, do we leave the BU ID space blank? I don't think they've assigned me an ID number yet

I remember being given an ID during the app process. If you've still got it, the confirmation email from submitting the app should have it on there. Mine started with a U.

@FormerPhysicist Found it, thanks! Couple more questions for you (or anyone that can answer):

1) Do most MAMS students end up doing their 2nd year back in their home states or do they stay in Boston for the research year? I'm trying to gauge whether or not it's worth it to make a trip over there from California to check out housing. If I'm only there for 9 months (duration of the first year) and then moving back home for the 2nd year, it may not even be worth it to fly out.

2) If I'm planning on retaking the MCAT, should I do so before the program starts or after the first year? I've read that most students end up scoring really well after the first MAMS year, but with the new MCAT taking place next year I'm not sure how prepared I'll be for the new sections (biochem + behavioral sciences)

Thanks in advance.

@FormerPhysicist Found it, thanks! Couple more questions for you (or anyone that can answer):

1) Do most MAMS students end up doing their 2nd year back in their home states or do they stay in Boston for the research year? I'm trying to gauge whether or not it's worth it to make a trip over there from California to check out housing. If I'm only there for 9 months (duration of the first year) and then moving back home for the 2nd year, it may not even be worth it to fly out.

2) If I'm planning on retaking the MCAT, should I do so before the program starts or after the first year? I've read that most students end up scoring really well after the first MAMS year, but with the new MCAT taking place next year I'm not sure how prepared I'll be for the new sections (biochem + behavioral sciences)

Thanks in advance.

I have no idea on the first question, as I'm also an incoming first year. I'm willing to bet though that if you send them an email, they would either tell you or put you in contact with someone who would know (like someone in the program from California). I feel like most posters in threads from years past have recommended having the MCAT out of the way before coming into the program, for two reasons: peace of mind during the second semester (lesser workload) and submitting your AMCAS as early as possible (which you couldn't do if you have to wait on your MCAT).

This actually made me think of another question, if anyone knows the answer. In past years' threads, I keep seeing that a 32 MCAT is the "magic number" for MD admission after the program. I hate to be "that neurotic guy" that asks, but am I going to have to retake if I have a score just under that, like a 31? I already have a couple retakes on my record, so I'd really rather not have to do that.

I don't have any numbers, but I'd estimate about a third or half end up going home. Usually they are returning to an undergraduate research lab or former employment. As far as housing goes, I'd recommend making a trip out here if you have the time and means. The housing and neighborhoods and your roommates can really vary, and getting stuck in a poor housing situation can make for a unbearably long year. But if you can't visit yourself, find someone who knows the area. I did not personally visit before moving here, but found a roommate who was already living in Boston and a friend here who was willing to check out the housing for me. (I'm also a Californian and chose to stay here for my second year.)

The question of whether to take the MCAT before MAMS is definitely something to discuss with our program director, Dr. Offner. It's true that the MAMS curriculum is very helpful for the MCAT, especially for the Biological Sciences portion. But with the changes happening, it's anyone's guess as to how much more difficult the MCAT be in the future. Whether you retake it before or after MAMS classes probably depends on how well you've scored in the past and how many times you've already taken the MCAT. Dr. Offner will be able to look at your application and recommend an appropriate course of action.

Members don't see this ad :)
@novemberleft Thanks for your help. I booked a flight over to Boston in early June to check out the area. I also sent an email over to Dr. Offner, as another student I was in contact with said that I should do the same. I scored a 29 on my first MCAT this past January. Since I've only taken it once, maybe I'll give it another go this summer before the program starts anyway.

If anyone else here can help convince me whether to pick BU MAMS over RFU BMS, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm completely torn between the two, as they were both my top choices. I'm a CA resident, 2.8 cGPA/sGPA, 29 MCAT.

With my stats, I know it's irresponsible of me to turn down RFU BMS. It's just I've read about other students in my position (same or worse stats) that were successful in MAMS and gained acceptance to multiple schools. Any help is appreciated.

@novemberleft Thanks for your help. I booked a flight over to Boston in early June to check out the area. I also sent an email over to Dr. Offner, as another student I was in contact with said that I should do the same. I scored a 29 on my first MCAT this past January. Since I've only taken it once, maybe I'll give it another go this summer before the program starts anyway.

If anyone else here can help convince me whether to pick BU MAMS over RFU BMS, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm completely torn between the two, as they were both my top choices. I'm a CA resident, 2.8 cGPA/sGPA, 29 MCAT.

With my stats, I know it's irresponsible of me to turn down RFU BMS. It's just I've read about other students in my position (same or worse stats) that were successful in MAMS and gained acceptance to multiple schools. Any help is appreciated.

When did you submit you app and when you heard back?

Hello All,
Did any of you apply with premed reqs still in progress? I was told I can't receive a decision until my classes (this semester) are complete.

I did and they accepted me before my semester concluded....
I also turned down my acceptance today so hopefully someone on here gets it

did you submit a GRE or MCAT score? I have everything submitted.. I'm just waiting for my MCAT score.

Found this gem while googling for information:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877042813033156

Something I found really helpful was the table given on page 411, with the MAMS GPA of the graduates graphed with their MCAT, and a % given to demonstrate how many individuals that fit into that GPA & MCAT category were successful in gaining an acceptance to medical school.

Found this gem while googling for information:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877042813033156

Something I found really helpful was the table given on page 411, with the MAMS GPA of the graduates graphed with their MCAT, and a % given to demonstrate how many individuals that fit into that GPA & MCAT category were successful in gaining an acceptance to medical school.

It's good to know how successful the program has been in the past, but I wish the information in that table was more recent than 2005. The undergrad BCPM average for BUSM matriculants through 2009 being slightly under 3.0 was also kind of a surprise. I wonder if that's still the case?

Yeah I wish the information were newer as well...it's interesting that (in the table on page 409) around 70% of graduates were admitted to MD programs though despite the low undergraduate BCPM average.

The low GPA makes sense to me though, with an acceptance rate of 69% from 2005. Can't imagine you can be too picky when you accept 2/3 of applicants.

Overall I'm encouraged a lot though...if these trends from 9 years ago remain. (And that's a big if, but the optimistic side of me wants to believe it :p)

do you guys think that if you have a better uGPA, you have a better chance at getting into BUSM from BU MAMS? I would love to know some profiles of BU MAMS students who got into BUSM; wonder if uGPA does play a pretty big role in this

Reactions: 1 user
do you guys think that if you have a better uGPA, you have a better chance at getting into BUSM from BU MAMS? I would love to know some profiles of BU MAMS students who got into BUSM; wonder if uGPA does play a pretty big role in this

I don't know how many times I've read Dr. Midlife post about not underestimating solid 4 years of ugrad performance. You askin' for it again man

I'm sure it helps (especially when applying to schools other than BU), but just eyeballing the graphs that @Ryush posted, it looks like the majority accepted from 2006-2009 hovered within ~0.3 of a 3.0 sGPA. With how competitive the applicant pool is getting, it wouldn't shock me to see the averages creep up a few tenths, although that's just speculation on my part.

Thanks for the reply! I didn't see it for some reason. After your app was complete, how long did a decision take? What were your stats, if you don't mind.

Thanks for the reply! I didn't see it for some reason. After your app was complete, how long did a decision take? What were your stats, if you don't mind.
My decision took about 3 weeks. I was 3.25/3.11 and 32 mcat

I got accepted to MAMS program, which was a big surprise for me giving my low grades. Would have never thought this is the first program I would hear back. Obviously I have to make a decision in the next few week...
Here's some factors I have to consider...

1. Assuming I get good grades, would MD school value this MAMS grades more than other post-bac/SMP programs out there? ie. UCin / EVMS / NYMS etc.
2. I've heard that some of the classes (especially the mandatory ones) are pretty big, although it gets broken down into smaller groups. I have a significant gap years after my undergrad studies, so it is pretty essential for me to get references from a faculty/professor. Is there small class offered in the MAMS programs?
3. I have ZERO research experiences up until now, therefore I'm considering taking the two year track, with the 2nd year to get some experience under my belt. Does the program help you get into research or you have to go find a research team/opportunity and complete it within one year?

Any help would be much appreciated!

I got accepted to MAMS program, which was a big surprise for me giving my low grades. Would have never thought this is the first program I would hear back. Obviously I have to make a decision in the next few week...

1. Assuming I get good grades, would MD school value this MAMS grades more than other post-bac/SMP programs out there? ie. UCin / EVMS / NYMS etc.
2. I've heard that some of the classes (especially the mandatory ones) are pretty big, although it gets broken down into smaller groups. I have a significant gap years after my undergrad studies, so it is pretty essential for me to get references from a faculty/professor. Is there small class offered in the MAMS programs?
3. I have ZERO research experiences up until now, therefore I'm considering taking the two year track, with the 2nd year to get some experience under my belt. Does the program help you get into research or you have to go find a research team/opportunity and complete it within one year?

With the recent shift in EVMS' program, I would trust BU over them. Cincy is going to be stronger for Ohio schools, but I would guess they're roughly equal outside of that. There's a list of schools that alumni have gotten into from BU that's been linked in this thread a couple times, check and see if your schools of interest are on it.

I've been told previously that there's a class in the second semester that helps set you up with a PI for your research year, although I'm not sure which one it is.

1. I'm not sure how MAMS would compare to these specific programs, but it is very well known and well established (over 20 years old).

2. First semester classes like Physiology and Cellular Organization of Tissues (aka COT, our histology course) meet as larger lectures and then break down into smaller discussion groups/labs with the faculty. Simply attending lecture and discussion regularly will provide ample opportunities to get to know your professors in these courses. There are also smaller elective classes offered in the second semester. MAMS provides a letter packet for AMCAS, consisting of a Dean's Letter, a letter from your advisor, and a letter from a professor of your choosing. Personally, I had been out of school for 3 years before starting MAMS and found that if you're an active participant in classes, it's easy to get to know your professors.

3. There is a 2-credit course in the second semester called Biomedical Information that teaches you all about the MAMS thesis requirements, how to go about finding a research project, and how to utilize library resources to do research. The program basically shows you how to find a research team or opportunity that suits your interests.

Could anyone elaborate on the structure and set up of GMS AN 722 Cellular Organization of Tissues & BI 751 Biochemistry courses? What made you successful? Both are required for MAMS students and early acceptance program students, so I figured it would be helpful for many to get advice/experiences from students who have completed those courses. This will be my first graduate-level coursework/coursework at a university w/>3,000 students. Thanks and can't wait to meet you all!

Hello everyone. applying to MAMS this month! I got good vibes from this program during Open House, hoping to get accepted!

Last edited:
Just got accepted monday and trying to figure out what housing options are available. Any accepted students looking for roommates?

Could anyone elaborate on the structure and set up of GMS AN 722 Cellular Organization of Tissues & BI 751 Biochemistry courses? What made you successful? Both are required for MAMS students and early acceptance program students, so I figured it would be helpful for many to get advice/experiences from students who have completed those courses. This will be my first graduate-level coursework/coursework at a university w/>3,000 students. Thanks and can't wait to meet you all!
In Biochemistry, class meets as a lecture four times a week and holds optional weekly TA sessions. The course content and lecturers are the same as the BUSM Biochemistry course.

Cellular Organization of Tissues is our histology course. It usually meets for lecture twice a week and small group lab (about 20 people) with the professors twice a week. COT also holds optional weekly TA sessions.

My advice for success would be to find which study habits are most effective for you. My own study habits changed dramatically from my undergraduate years, and it required much dedication, responsibility, and discipline to do well in MAMS. Time management is key. Students need to spend their study time wisely and not fall behind in the lectures. This might involve a lot of trial and error, but try studying at various times or locations, with different people, and taking notes in different ways. If something's not working, then change it up. If you need help, just ask!

Boston University might be a large institution between its two campuses, but the MAMS program only has about 165 people in the class and our advisors, faculty, and program director do make an effort get to know their students. Between the accessible faculty, knowledgable advisors, TAs, tutors, and your peers, there is never a shortage of resources to help you succeed.

Got in last week! :heckyeah:

As a side note for applicants with questions: Ms. Offner is super fast about replying to questions, she took 15 minutes to reply to my last email. So don't hesitate to email her if you need things clarified.

hey does anyone know when this program starts, it dates, etc...i tried looking it up on their site but i couldn't find any specific dates...thanks

Just got accepted today!! Super fast turnaround --

submitted: 5/19
completed: 5/20
accepted: 5/22

Very excited about this program... I went to the open house back in March and loved it!

hey does anyone know when this program starts, it dates, etc...i tried looking it up on their site but i couldn't find any specific dates...thanks

Yep, classes start Sept. 2nd I believe.

I just got accepted into the MAMS program and was wondering if anyone who would be starting in fall found places to live already. Where do you suggest I start looking? The South End looks ideal. Any thoughts on the other neighborhoods with respect to commute times and safety?

Also, if anyone from the MAMS program is looking for a female roommate, please message me.

Just wanted to chime in and let people know that I was accepted today as well. MAMS is not my top choice but rest assured that it is an awesome program and very well-regarded. I am also a BU alum so if you have any questions about Boston/living/BU at all please don't hesitate to send me a private message. I have only taken undergraduate courses and some 500-level graduate courses, but I have heard that the MAMS program is similar in difficulty to undergrad classes (not by any means easy...at all...*shudder*)

I have also heard some students (one who went to BU for undergrad) comparing the Tufts program with BU's undergrad, so if you have questions about that feel free to send me a message.

By the way, I love BU and wish I never had to leave BU undergrad. BU is not my top choice because I want something that is more concrete with more of a "guarantee" and Boston is also ridiculously (read - RIDICULOUSLY) expensive.

Out of the classes that are medical school equivalents or from electives, will students in MAMS be taking some of these with medical students?

Out of the classes that are medical school equivalents or from electives, will students in MAMS be taking some of these with medical students?
Classes such as Biochemistry and Physiology contain the same course content as the BUSM classes, but due to our schedule differences and lecture hall sizes the MAMS classes are held separately. The elective Immunology course in the spring semester is taken with the medical students.

I never go on this site- I just need to find housing for MAMS so here it is:
I need a place to live near school for a reasonable price(~<1000). I don't mind much if it is ghetto. Anyone interested in finding/sharing some housing with a very neat/QUIET/clean/reasonable/funny/sane/female person, please let me know. Also if previous MAMS people have suggestions that would be great.

First post...but I sent an e-mail to Dr. Offner asking about the timeline of the MPH/MAMS dual degree and she responded with my acceptance. I might be celebrating too early but she said I'll get the official acceptance later this week. :D

Now...onto looking for cheap housing. Anybody else from California (and don't know anything about Boston)? Haha. Is there a Facebook group for the incoming class? Maybe I'll have some luck there.

Recently accepted, also on the hunt for housing. If anybody has any insight or looking for a roommate, let me know. Excited to meet everybody, as it will be a challenging but rewarding year for all of us #pressingonwardtothedream

Just got accepted to the program. Wondering if there is a facebook group or something for finding roommates and networking within the group?

Does anyone have rough estimates of what rent should cost us in south end? Looking around for housing now and trying not to get ripped off.

@novemberleft Thanks for all your insight here!
(1) Do you have a general idea of how common it is for a MAMS student to apply to med school before starting the SMP, then getting in to attend the following Fall?
(2) What kind of support structures are in place for this?
I heard that Gtown SMP will send a letter saying you are enrolled in the SMP as soon as you submit secondaries, and they will follow up with sending grades and recommendations after the first semester ends. Does BU MAMS do this?

Does anyone have rough estimates of what rent should cost us in south end? Looking around for housing now and trying not to get ripped off.
You might find the following resources helpful. If you really look around, you can probably find someplace in the South End for $1000/mo/person or less, depending on the apartment's quality and number of roommates. There are other less expensive neighborhoods, but they require more of a commute.

Approximate Rent Chart
http://www.bu.edu/offcampus/tips-resources/approximate-rent-chart/

Neighborhood Guide
http://www.bumc.bu.edu/ohr/files/2010/07/Neighborhoods.PDF

@novemberleft Thanks for all your insight here!
(1) Do you have a general idea of how common it is for a MAMS student to apply to med school before starting the SMP, then getting in to attend the following Fall?
(2) What kind of support structures are in place for this?
I heard that Gtown SMP will send a letter saying you are enrolled in the SMP as soon as you submit secondaries, and they will follow up with sending grades and recommendations after the first semester ends. Does BU MAMS do this?

Most MAMS students apply to medical schools after the first year, but there are several who apply beforehand. Since I did not do this, I'm unfortunately unfamiliar with the specific assistance MAMS provides beyond our advising services (which I found to be excellent). Entering MAMS students who are applying now should certainly contact our program director so she can be sure you are properly supported.

The help I received from my advisor was invaluable. Each student is assigned a faculty advisor, all of whom are all very knowledgable about the application process. Mine read over my application and personal statement, suggested areas of improvement, set up a mock interview with another advisor, wrote a letter of recommendation, and was an overall excellent resource for applications, classes, research, and even a personal matter. For me, advising was one of BU's greatest strengths.