Boston University MAMS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello! I am a second year MAMS student and I'm happy to answer your questions. First, for students who apply before they enter into MAMS I know that Dr. Offner will send out a letter to the schools that you applied to stating that you are in the program. Your grades will be sent right after the first semester to the schools to which you applied and you can also go to Dr. Offner at any point during the semester to receive advice. Also, unfortunately if you do MAMS within a year you have to do a literature thesis because you will not have enough time to complete a lab based thesis. Does this help?
Yes that helps quite a bit. I think it will mainly come down to how well I do when I retake the MCAT. I got a 29 my first time, which isn't awful, but my score will not be valid for the next cycle on. I realize that it would be an amazing opportunity to conduct research at BU and in the Boston area; however, is the second year mainly recommended for those with little or no prior research experience? I just found out the paper I'm a 3rd author on was finally accepted for publication in a pretty good journal, and I've got several thousands of hours of time spent working on various projects in several labs, so I wouldn't necessarily say I'm in need of research experience (more can never hurt though). Just trying to get some more insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I was wondering if you could provide me some insight on sending in GRE scores. What is the percentage of students applying to this program with GRE scores? Will there be a disadvantage for those who are submitting those GRE scores rather than MCAT scores? I realized that the deadline for applications has changed from rolling admissions to June 1st. With that said, those who are taking the new MCAT will not be able to submit their new MCAT scores before the June 1st deadline.

Thanks in advance.
Haven't taken the MCAT, just submitted by GRE scores, still waiting to hear back regarding acceptance/rejection o.o

Yes that helps quite a bit. I think it will mainly come down to how well I do when I retake the MCAT. I got a 29 my first time, which isn't awful, but my score will not be valid for the next cycle on. I realize that it would be an amazing opportunity to conduct research at BU and in the Boston area; however, is the second year mainly recommended for those with little or no prior research experience? I just found out the paper I'm a 3rd author on was finally accepted for publication in a pretty good journal, and I've got several thousands of hours of time spent working on various projects in several labs, so I wouldn't necessarily say I'm in need of research experience (more can never hurt though). Just trying to get some more insight.

The second year isn't necessarily for people who lack experience in bench work. A few of my friends have similar backgrounds as you and instead of conducting bench work research in their second year, they decided to do clinical research and add more balance to their application. Additionally, the second year offers other great opportunities. Second years are able to tutor first year MAMS students as well as dental students in certain subjects as well as TA first year MAMS classes. Also, there are many great volunteer opportunities that many second year students get involved in.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else heard back from the program yet? Hoping by the end of this week!

Hi! I was wondering if you could provide me some insight on sending in GRE scores. What is the percentage of students applying to this program with GRE scores? Will there be a disadvantage for those who are submitting those GRE scores rather than MCAT scores? I realized that the deadline for applications has changed from rolling admissions to June 1st. With that said, those who are taking the new MCAT will not be able to submit their new MCAT scores before the June 1st deadline.

Thanks in advance.
I can't really speak to that because I do not have the information to know the percentage of students who apply with MCAT vs GRE scores. I can say, however, that I applied with my GRE scores. Your best bet is to apply early.

I just turned in my application yesterday, hopefully I hear back soon.

Reactions: 1 users
I just need some good news....it look's like you've been waiting for a while, so I can only imagine your anxiety. Would be nice to hear some good news soon, looks like most people hear back within 2 weeks.

I just need some good news....it look's like you've been waiting for a while, so I can only imagine your anxiety. Would be nice to hear some good news soon, looks like most people hear back within 2 weeks.
Yup...would definitely be attending the program if I got accepted!

I applied to this program in December, and have heard nothing back. I'm a rare case that actually applied md this cycle and am on a few wait lists/waiting to hear back from a school, but I'd like to know if my backup plan is intact for next year. I have to start school again cause I've been out for 2 years and I miss learning. Didn't expect a 12 week wait though :(

I was complete 3/2/15 and accepted yesterday!

3.4 cGPA/3.0 sGPA/32 MCAT

Good luck to everyone waiting :)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm hoping to apply to this program soon. It might be the best way for me to prove myself for med school and gain research experience (I have none), but I am uneasy about the cost. Theres a program in my state that is 1/4 the cost of MAMS and it may help me to get in a few state schools.

Anyone know the timing if someone has to take/retake the MCAT while doing MAMS? Is it possible to do this?

Anyone know the timing if someone has to take/retake the MCAT while doing MAMS? Is it possible to do this?
Students who have to take/retake the MCAT do so in the summer after the first year of the program. The Princeton Review has a special course for MAMS students after the spring semester is over, which you do have to pay for if you choose to take it. I took it and it was very helpful. They focused on physical sciences and organic chemistry. Also, with the new MCAT I believe that they will also add psychology and sociology to the course. The coursework in MAMS prepares you for the biology part of the test. On average, MAMS students who retake the MCAT after the first year see a four point increase from their previous score.

Students who have to take/retake the MCAT do so in the summer after the first year of the program. The Princeton Review has a special course for MAMS students after the spring semester is over, which you do have to pay for if you choose to take it. I took it and it was very helpful. They focused on physical sciences and organic chemistry. Also, with the new MCAT I believe that they will also add psychology and sociology to the course. The coursework in MAMS prepares you for the biology part of the test. On average, MAMS students who retake the MCAT after the first year see a four point increase from their previous score.
That's so awesome and quite a reassurance as to the efficacy of this program. Do you know when MAMS students who retake the MCAT after the first year end up taking it? The semester ends around mid-May so then they'd be taking it in July? I was told that'd be considered late for medical schools and that's one of my worries.

That's so awesome and quite a reassurance as to the efficacy of this program. Do you know when MAMS students who retake the MCAT after the first year end up taking it? The semester ends around mid-May so then they'd be taking it in July? I was told that'd be considered late for medical schools and that's one of my worries.
Students are generally advised to take it in late June or early July. Also, the timing works out alright, it is not too late. Some people apply to a few schools and then wait until they receive their score back and then add more afterwards.

Students are generally advised to take it in late June or early July. Also, the timing works out alright, it is not too late. Some people apply to a few schools and then wait until they receive their score back and then add more afterwards.
Thanks! I appreciate the replies.

Sorry to ask a million questions but I was wondering if one does the 2 year option, is there time to work part-time since the credit load seems to be less than the first year? What is the structure of that second year? Someone said in this thread that students don't even have to spend the second year in Boston. And would it be possible to do clinical research during that year or does one have to do benchwork?

Thanks! I appreciate the replies. Sorry to ask a million questions but I was wondering if one does the 2 year option, is there time to work part-time since the credit load seems to be less than the first year? What is the structure of that second year? Someone said in this thread that students don't even have to spend the second year in Boston. And would it be possible to do clinical research during that year or does one have to do benchwork?

I am a current student. The overwhelming majority of students opt for the 2-year option. Those who complete a 1-year tract typically are admitted into medical school during their first year of the MSMS program, and have to shorten their tract to accommodate the degree in-time for school. It is not possible to work part-time in your first year, especially first semester in this program. However, in second year, if you opted to do a library thesis, or part-time research thesis, you absolutely could get a part-time job. Some second year students even take classes at BU to become more competitive. You do not have to spend your second year in Boston, it can be completed anywhere. The research can be any kind.

This program is rigorous, and if you do well here, history shows that you will do well in medical school. I would not treat this as a "feeder program" to BU's medical school. Although it certainly gives you an incredible advantage over other applicants, you will probably need All A's/A-'s to get an interview without re-taking your MCATs, or A's and B's with a solid MCAT score. I applied super late last year into this program (July), and was fortunate to be admitted. It is one of the most difficult things I have done, but I am now a master test-taker, and my familiarity with physiology/biology/physics has probably improved 10-fold.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about a "day in the life" of a MAMS student, specifically for the first semester? For example, what classes are typically taken, what time do they begin/end and how many days per week do you have those classes? Also, do you get the same school breaks as the undergraduate students as BU, or do graduate students have different academic calendars? Thanks!

Thanks! I appreciate the replies.

Sorry to ask a million questions but I was wondering if one does the 2 year option, is there time to work part-time since the credit load seems to be less than the first year? What is the structure of that second year? Someone said in this thread that students don't even have to spend the second year in Boston. And would it be possible to do clinical research during that year or does one have to do benchwork?

I worked around 50-60 hours a week while doing the second year. All you are doing is writing your thesis. No classes at all. It all depends on what kind of thesis you do (literature/clinical/bench). I did an original clinical thesis. Collected data over the summer after first year.

Hi all, ancient poster here. You will see my posts from the old threads and I'd still recommend giving that a read for anyone who is curious - many questions have been answered and most things are accurate up till this date. A little bit about me: I entered MAMS in '09, graduated '11, entered BU School of Medicine '11 (class of 2015) and I just matched into my first choice in internal medicine a few days ago. For those who think it's a long way to go, it really is not. I still remember the first day I stepped into BUSM as a MAMS student more vividly than any other event following that (including the white coat ceremony!) If you have any questions feel free to ask me in PM or here!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about a "day in the life" of a MAMS student, specifically for the first semester? For example, what classes are typically taken, what time do they begin/end and how many days per week do you have those classes? Also, do you get the same school breaks as the undergraduate students as BU, or do graduate students have different academic calendars? Thanks!

Here is the curriculum your first year: http://www.bumc.bu.edu/gms/gateway/...medical-sciences/curriculum/sample-curricula/

Your first semester will be Biochemistry/Physiology/Cellular Organization (Histology)

I'll be honest and say that I am out of date in terms of the current day to day structure & I'm sure someone else can chime in. I'm not familiar with the undergraduate schedule however BUSM follows their own set of academic calendars students and does not necessarily match with the undergrads. You have 5 days worth of classes, and each credit roughly translates to 1 hour of class/week. Biochem (6) + Physio (4) + Cell Org/Histology (4) = 14 hours of class per week so about 3 hours per day on average with some additional hours for discussion and labs.

I worked around 50-60 hours a week while doing the second year. All you are doing is writing your thesis. No classes at all. It all depends on what kind of thesis you do (literature/clinical/bench). I did an original clinical thesis. Collected data over the summer after first year.
That's extremely helpful :)
Just out of curiosity, if you started over the summer, did your thesis take you the summer + fall semester or the summer + both semesters? According to the schedule they have online the thesis is scheduled for either over the summer or the whole second year.

That's extremely helpful :)
Just out of curiosity, if you started over the summer, did your thesis take you the summer + fall semester or the summer + both semesters? According to the schedule they have online the thesis is scheduled for either over the summer or the whole second year.
I collected data while working over the summer and then wrote the thesis over the course of 3-4 weeks in the early spring. I maybe took 2 days off to meet with my advisor.

I collected data while working over the summer and then wrote the thesis over the course of 3-4 weeks in the early spring. I maybe took 2 days off to meet with my advisor.
You collected data while working? Excellent. That's what I was hoping to hear.

How hard is it to get the thesis published in a journal? Is that near impossible?

You collected data while working? Excellent. That's what I was hoping to hear.

How hard is it to get the thesis published in a journal? Is that near impossible?
Extremely unlikely unless you are coat-tailing on an established PI's project. I think one person did a few years ago but I wouldn't bet on it.

Hi everyone! Just got my acceptance email today...
Except I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place: I was also accepted into a Master's program at Johns Hopkins. It's obvious both are fantastic schools with great programs that have high success rates. And I think both will definitely get me to where I eventually want to be (med school) but it's going to be a tough decision to make between the two!

Reactions: 2 users
Except I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place: I was also accepted into a Master's program at Johns Hopkins. It's obvious both are fantastic schools with great programs that have high success rates. And I think both will definitely get me to where I eventually want to be (med school) but it's going to be a tough decision to make between the two!
What were your stats?

I'm applying to BU MAMS and before I seal my application, I was wondering if anyone who was accepted for this school year could share any tips on what they included their BU application essay (or their essay if anyone is feeling particularly philanthropic ;D). Also, for those who are in the program, can anyone share their experiences from the first semester? Thanks!

(nice)

congrats on your acceptance to the BU program and Johns Hopkins. Unless i'm mistaken is the Johns Hopkins program is not a Special Master's Program where you take medical courses. There is a big difference between the two. SMPs like bu MAMS will not alter your undergrad GPA but prove in an alternate way that you are ready for medical school. This tends to be for people who are stuck in a place where their GPA can't be fixed by adding more science classes which tends to be most pre-med people with low GPAs

congrats on your acceptance to the BU program and Johns Hopkins. Unless i'm mistaken is the Johns Hopkins program is not a Special Master's Program where you take medical courses. There is a big difference between the two. SMPs like bu MAMS will not alter your undergrad GPA but prove in an alternate way that you are ready for medical school. This tends to be for people who are stuck in a place where their GPA can't be fixed by adding more science classes which tends to be most pre-med people with low GPAs

Hi and thank you! I am aware that the JHU Master of Health Science is not a SMP, but instead a public health masters degree at the Bloomberg School of Public Health (not to be mistaken for the HSI post-bacc). I'm just stuck between choosing between the 2 programs since obviously the BU MAMS program is great and has proven to get students into med school But the MHS program at JHU is also a very good program, and has a public health edge that I really like and is what attracted me to it. The MHS program is with a focus in Reproductive and Health Biology so I'll be taking hard science graduate courses as well. Also, the few people I've talked to that have done the MHS at JHU have all gotten into medical school and also said that a majority of their peers got in too with the program being what one called "the golden ticket into medical school". But anyway, I'm leaning more towards JHU primarily because of the flexibility of the curriculum, the public health aspect, the plethora of extracurriculars JHU offers, and the close ties between the public health school and the medical school.

Hi and thank you! I am aware that the JHU Master of Health Science is not a SMP, but instead a public health masters degree at the Bloomberg School of Public Health (not to be mistaken for the HSI post-bacc). I'm just stuck between choosing between the 2 programs since obviously the BU MAMS program is great and has proven to get students into med school But the MHS program at JHU is also a very good program, and has a public health edge that I really like and is what attracted me to it. The MHS program is with a focus in Reproductive and Health Biology so I'll be taking hard science graduate courses as well. Also, the few people I've talked to that have done the MHS at JHU have all gotten into medical school and also said that a majority of their peers got in too with the program being what one called "the golden ticket into medical school". But anyway, I'm leaning more towards JHU primarily because of the flexibility of the curriculum, the public health aspect, the plethora of extracurriculars JHU offers, and the close ties between the public health school and the medical school.

Whether you pick a SMP or a post-bac or a graduate school (JHU) you should go should largely depend on your uGPA and basically nothing else. Drawing from my own personal experience and students I've mentored & seen, general rule of thumb is if your gpa is <3.3-3.4, anything short of a SMP will probably not help you get into medical school. This is esp true if you failed to get into medical school on your first (or more) attempts. The other thing I'd caution you on is that the name (fame) of school =/= strength of their post-bac/SMP.

Also, remember that the people who you talk to will always be those that represent the most successful in the respective program (that includes me.) I also had to deal with the JHU dilemma 6 years ago when I first was applying to post bacs (I got accepted into all the post bacs I applied to). I talked it over with the JHU people (as well as the harvard extesnsion) when I was choosing a program and talked about my realistic chances of going into medical school with my stats through their program. Basically, with my very, very low uGPA (2.99) the likelihood of my getting into med school with anything short of a SMP was unlikely. With that said , I was on the extreme of low uGPA (average in a SMP tends to be like ~3.3).

I recommend you talk to the JHU people with your stats and ask them realistically how likely they think you can get into medical school with a good performance. Also ask them for what % of their class gets into medical school, and if you can squeeze it out of them also ask for the average uGPA of typical students that go there (this is key because if your uGPA is significantly lower than their average class, you will not be representiative of their class)

Whether you pick a SMP or a post-bac or a graduate school (JHU) you should go should largely depend on your uGPA and basically nothing else. Drawing from my own personal experience and students I've mentored & seen, general rule of thumb is if your gpa is <3.3-3.4, anything short of a SMP will probably not help you get into medical school. This is esp true if you failed to get into medical school on your first (or more) attempts. The other thing I'd caution you on is that the name (fame) of school =/= strength of their post-bac/SMP.

Also, remember that the people who you talk to will always be those that represent the most successful in the respective program (that includes me.) I also had to deal with the JHU dilemma 6 years ago when I first was applying to post bacs (I got accepted into all the post bacs I applied to). I talked it over with the JHU people (as well as the harvard extesnsion) when I was choosing a program and talked about my realistic chances of going into medical school with my stats through their program. Basically, with my very, very low uGPA (2.99) the likelihood of my getting into med school with anything short of a SMP was unlikely. With that said , I was on the extreme of low uGPA (average in a SMP tends to be like ~3.3).

I recommend you talk to the JHU people with your stats and ask them realistically how likely they think you can get into medical school with a good performance. Also ask them for what % of their class gets into medical school, and if you can squeeze it out of them also ask for the average uGPA of typical students that go there (this is key because if your uGPA is significantly lower than their average class, you will not be representiative of their class)

I definitely am aware of all that. And I know because of my wording in that previous post, I made it seem like I'm leaning towards the JHU program primarily for the name. But I'm not banking on this for the sole purpose of medical school. I'm also very interested in Public Health and I did mention that I like the MHS program because of this and the flexibility of the their curriculum allows me to get a lot of public health courses/experiences. And because the MHS is a public health degree, I have a path I can go to if medical school doesn't work out [right away]. Unlike the other SMP/post-baccs where if I finish and don't get into med school, then I'll be stuck with a degree that I can't really use. I've weighed out my options and I'm not going into this blindly, I always think years ahead and I always have a plan B. Thanks for your input/advice! What did you end up doing?

I definitely am aware of all that. And I know because of my wording in that previous post, I made it seem like I'm leaning towards the JHU program primarily for the name. But I'm not banking on this for the sole purpose of medical school. I'm also very interested in Public Health and I did mention that I like the MHS program because of this and the flexibility of the their curriculum allows me to get a lot of public health courses/experiences. And because the MHS is a public health degree, I have a path I can go to if medical school doesn't work out [right away]. Unlike the other SMP/post-baccs where if I finish and don't get into med school, then I'll be stuck with a degree that I can't really use. I've weighed out my options and I'm not going into this blindly, I always think years ahead and I always have a plan B. Thanks for your input/advice! What did you end up doing?

I should also mention since you're interested in public health that you can get a MPH combined with the MAMS program (cant remember the duration for it) and BU's Public Health department is world class so you won't be losing out on that.

Well I went to BU MAMS, then to BU medical school, now I'll be heading off to residency in a few months. Actually with my uGPA i'd say it was basically impossible to get into a medical school without a SMP short of curing cancer.

Got accepted into this program today. Complete December 22nd. Still waiting on a few md schools to get back to me about admission. But I'm really relieved to at least know I'll be in school next year. Lol

I got my acceptance email today too (app completed 3/12)! I am from a small town in Montana so I am super excited for this opportunity :) it's going to be a culture shock for sure, can't wait!

Reactions: 2 users
For all the students who were accepted and went on to MAMS, how did you go about securing an apartment? I'm not seeing much of a price difference anymore between Allston-Brighton and areas closer to the Med Campus for 1/2 bedrooms, which is interesting. I just wonder if anyone has any tips/tricks for locking down a good (ideally without breaking the bank) space.

Received my acceptance email last week (ridiculously fast turnaround)! Does anyone know whether it's more popular to live on- or off-campus? Will be moving from a different country (and away from home for the first time) so kind of nervous and excited all at the same time.

Was hoping to hear back within a reasonable amount of time but still haven't so I've decided to go to hopkins. Was really looking forward to going to this program though!

I just decided to apply to the MAMS program for Fall 2015, and was wondering what the typical turn around time is for hearing back on a decision? Also, does anyone know how supportive they are about helping students apply to med schools in the area afterwards (Tufts, Harvard, etc.)? I know they do encourage applicants to apply to BUSM, but was wondering if they offer advisory for students applying to other schools just as readily. Also, does this program have any type of MCAT prep built into it for those of us who are looking to retake in the future?

I got accepted here a couple weeks back. Just heard back from Tufts too. Now to play the deciding game :(

Still haven't heard if I've been accepted or not, finished my application the week of 3/12

I got accepted here a couple weeks back. Just heard back from Tufts too. Now to play the deciding game :(
Congrats! That's a nice dilemma :) When were you complete? I submitted my application on 3/3. Also applied to Tufts on 3/2!

Congrats! That's a nice dilemma :) When were you complete? I submitted my application on 3/3. Also applied to Tufts on 3/2!

Thank you! I believe my app was completed on 2/26 and I got accepted in 3/25. I didn't really contact them in between but I heard it can speed things up.

For tufts I completed 3/26 and heard back 4/9 (today) :)

Accepted! Complete November. Heard back today (4/13).

Last edited:
I e-mailed Lynese Wallace last week on Friday and she told me that my application was reviewed by the admissions committee and on hold right now and that it would be reviewed again within the next 4-6 weeks :(. Was complete March 11th, had to e-mail to get a response. Hopefully I get in, not sure how being on hold is different from waitlisted, anyone have experience with this?

I was just accepted today! Crazy fast turn around time, I just applied on April 9! So hearing back in 5 days was a huge surprise and relief. I'll be going to BU for sure! Does anyone know if there is a Facebook page for the class of 2016?