This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BUMAMS2014.6

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, welcome to the 2016-2017 thread for the Boston University MAMS Program! My name is Mike and I'm currently a second year MAMS student here at BU, so if anyone has any questions about the program, housing options, or Boston in general post them here and I'll answer as best as I can!

Good luck to everyone who has yet to apply and congratulations to those who have been accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Mike,

I was accepted into the program on 12/29/2015 and completed the tuition deposit on 1/06/2016. I just wanted to know if there are any other hoops I need to jump through to ensure everything is set up and if/when I should hear back from BU confirming my deposit. Also any tips on housing would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Professional_Username,

If you've sent in your deposit you should be all set for the time being, though it couldn't hurt to send a follow-up email to confirm its receipt. I believe that any additional information regarding the program or the need to send necessary paperwork/transcripts will be communicated to you via email.

Housing resources are provided through the Off-Campus Services Department. I would suggest browsing the following link: http://www.bu.edu/offcampus/who-are-you/graduate-student/

Hey guys! I am interested in applying to BU MAMS but I'm not too sure what my chances are with my gpa and MCAT. What types of stats typically gets students accepted into this program? My cgpa is a 3.4 and I have a chance to bring it up to a 3.5 after this semester, sgpa is 3.0 with a chance to bring that up as well, and an MCAT of 496 but I am retaking that in April.

I am nervous to do an SMP because my uGPA will be around a 2.6-2.7, and I'm worried that, even if I do well in the program, I will not be accepted by a school. I am comforted by the fact that others have been able to break through past mistakes and still succeed, but I'm wondering if anyone had advice for me? I am currently working on my app for BU.

uGPA 2.6-2.7, sGPA even lower.
I almost dropped out of high school, managed to finish in the very bottom of my class after multiple appeals. I eventually enrolled in comm college with no direction 10 years ago and failed a bunch of classes. With retakes, I have about a 3.2 overall, and over the past 120 hours my GPA is a 3.3 (please don't even ask me how many credits I have!). I hope to have a post bacc of 3.5.

My EC are I think above average, lots of direct hands on clinical experience, president of a meaningful service club, lots of shadowing, and good research. I also have scored strongly on practice MCAT's (35,36), though I can't say for sure what my actual score will end up being. In short, however, I am happy with my app with the (very important) exception of GPA.

I did well in all the pre-med reqs, and am confident I can perform very well in an SMP, since I will be able to stop working 30 hours a week.

Any advice? I am willing to do whatever it takes, but also know that my 2.7 will still be on my application, and will understandably raise concerns, or even block me by certain screens.

Thanks!

Any thoughts on if this program is right for me or if I can even get in?
top 40 undergrad
Molecular & Cellular Biology major
~2.6 sGPA
516(95th%) MCAT
URM
very weak EC
no research
I'm sure I can handle the course work, most of the courses I took during undergrad (physiology,biochemistry, immunology,endocrinology, etc) were graduate level and I am very comfortable with that kind of material. I think if I can get in its probably my best bet. Anyone agree? disagree?

Hey guys! I am interested in applying to BU MAMS but I'm not too sure what my chances are with my gpa and MCAT. What types of stats typically gets students accepted into this program? My cgpa is a 3.4 and I have a chance to bring it up to a 3.5 after this semester, sgpa is 3.0 with a chance to bring that up as well, and an MCAT of 496 but I am retaking that in April.
Your GPA is well within range for applicants accepted to the MAMS program. As for the MCAT, a strong applicant generally scores around a 507 (~74th %ile or ~30 on the old MCAT). While your score is a bit lower than this, I would recommend talking with an advisor about your options before retaking. A low MCAT alone will not automatically disqualify you from admission to the program, so it is worth getting a second opinion before spending the time/money to retake the exam a second time.

Your GPA is well within range for applicants accepted to the MAMS program. As for the MCAT, a strong applicant generally scores around a 507 (~74th %ile or ~30 on the old MCAT). While your score is a bit lower than this, I would recommend talking with an advisor about your options before retaking. A low MCAT alone will not automatically disqualify you from admission to the program, so it is worth getting a second opinion before spending the time/money to retake the exam a second time.

Do you think I'd have a better shot with the Tufts SMP?

I am nervous to do an SMP because my uGPA will be around a 2.6-2.7, and I'm worried that, even if I do well in the program, I will not be accepted by a school. I am comforted by the fact that others have been able to break through past mistakes and still succeed, but I'm wondering if anyone had advice for me? I am currently working on my app for BU.

uGPA 2.6-2.7, sGPA even lower.
I almost dropped out of high school, managed to finish in the very bottom of my class after multiple appeals. I eventually enrolled in comm college with no direction 10 years ago and failed a bunch of classes. With retakes, I have about a 3.2 overall, and over the past 120 hours my GPA is a 3.3 (please don't even ask me how many credits I have!). I hope to have a post bacc of 3.5.

My EC are I think above average, lots of direct hands on clinical experience, president of a meaningful service club, lots of shadowing, and good research. I also have scored strongly on practice MCAT's (35,36), though I can't say for sure what my actual score will end up being. In short, however, I am happy with my app with the (very important) exception of GPA.

I did well in all the pre-med reqs, and am confident I can perform very well in an SMP, since I will be able to stop working 30 hours a week.

Any advice? I am willing to do whatever it takes, but also know that my 2.7 will still be on my application, and will understandably raise concerns, or even block me by certain screens.

Thanks!
Hi LFC85,
Your situation is certainly unique, so it's hard for me to give much advice with any amount of certainty. You are right to assume that a 2.7 GPA will be viewed negatively by most medical school admissions committees, even if you perform well (>3.5GPA) in a post-bacc program here at BU or at any other school. On the other hand, I cannot say with 100% certainty that you would be rejected by all medical schools solely because of your GPA. Many schools view applications holistically, so it is possible given your ECs and your personal story that schools would be willing to give you an interview or even an acceptance.

MAMS applicants are generally advised to have >3.0 GPA to be considered for admission, however applications are viewed on a case-by-case basis so as to allow full consideration for individuals with <3.0 GPAs. For that reason, it could not hurt to apply to MAMS and see what the outcome is.

My best personal advice would be to consult with an academic advisor or a current MD/health professional who would be willing to take a look at your resume and provide you with more useful advice than I could. The medical school application process is time consuming and very expensive, so it is worth getting some feedback to ensure your money and time are being spent wisely.

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me, we can talk more about your situation via direct message.

Any thoughts on if this program is right for me or if I can even get in?
top 40 undergrad
Molecular & Cellular Biology major
~2.6 sGPA
516(95th%) MCAT
URM
very weak EC
no research
I'm sure I can handle the course work, most of the courses I took during undergrad (physiology,biochemistry, immunology,endocrinology, etc) were graduate level and I am very comfortable with that kind of material. I think if I can get in its probably my best bet. Anyone agree? disagree?
Hi socialhermit, I would suggest reading the responses I just posted for the other individuals on this thread. Your GPA/MCAT situation is essentially the reverse of gbpack1193's, so my $0.02 is that a low GPA alone does not disqualify you from admission to the MAMS program. However, I will say that in most--but not all--cases a high MCAT/low GPA is viewed more favorably than a high GPA/low MCAT, so I would personally say that your chances are good for acceptance to this program.

If you're serious about applying to MAMS/medical school though, I would STRONGLY consider addressing your weak EC's and lack of research. EC's are extremely important when it comes to medical school admissions, and even applicants with 4.0/520 MCAT are turned away due to their lack of activities. Never underestimate the importance of a well-rounded application.

Last edited:
How difficult is it to find an opportunity to do clinical volunteering? Is the faculty helpful with the process or are you on your own?

also, are we expected to rely heavily on text books or is the information presented in lecture sufficient to do well?

Members don't see this ad :)
How difficult is it to find an opportunity to do clinical volunteering? Is the faculty helpful with the process or are you on your own?
Clinical experiences are something you will have plenty of opportunity to pursue during the spring semester and/or second year of the program. Dr. Offner (MAMS program director) strongly advises that students focus solely on their studies during the first semester so you’ll definitely want to wait to participate in volunteering and such until at least second semester. At that point, however, Dr. Offner will provide the class with information about tons of opportunities at hospitals and labs in the Boston area. It is very rare to hear of a student who sought out a lab/volunteer position and did not ultimately get one—Boston area hospitals love MAMS students and are usually very happy to accept students to their open positions.

also, are we expected to rely heavily on text books or is the information presented in lecture sufficient to do well?
There is really no need whatsoever to consult outside sources/textbooks to do well in the program. All of the necessary information is contained within a course syllabus that is provided at the beginning of the semester. This information is also covered in lecture.

Hey everyone, I wanted to post on my experience in MAMS as I know it is coming to that time of year where people start to look at these type of programs to bolster their medical school applications. I am currently a first year medical student at BU and the only reason why I am here is because of the MAMS program.

To start, I went to a small liberal arts school for undergrad and finished with a GPA below 3.5. I wanted to go to medical school so I decided to look into programs that could help me improve upon my application. I applied to the MAMS program and got in and I also decided to take the MCAT before I entered. I ended up entering into MAMS with an MCAT below 30.

Right from the start of the program the faculty and second year MAMS students were incredibly supportive. During the first semester everyone in the class took Biochemistry, a Histology course, and a physiology course. These courses contained a great amount of material, but they were fun to take because they were all clinically based and most of the information taught in these courses was also taught to the first years. Therefore, I knew if I could do well in these courses, I would be able to perform well in medical school.

In order to succeed in these courses I had to change my study habits. I was able to do this with the help of second year MAMS students, faculty and my advisor. The second year students provided study tips for each of the courses, which I was able to try out and see what worked best. Also, the atmosphere at MAMS was very collaborative as the teaching faculty encouraged group studying and also stayed after class to answer any questions on the material. This exceeded my expectations, as I came in thinking that it would be pretty cut throat and competitive. Instead, the attitude of the class was that we're all in this together, which is something I really liked. This atmosphere helped me succeed in both of the semesters.

During that summer, I studied for MCAT and took it in June and also applied for medical school. The MCAT was an easier test after the first year of MAMS because the way I studied had changed and MAMS also helped me become a better multiple choice test taker. I was able to improve my score, and all of my friends who took it after MAMS improved their scores as well.

In the second year of MAMS I was able to take part in a few activities that were incredibly rewarding. First, I was able to TA and tutor courses for the first year MAMS students. This was amazing, as I was able to help teach the material that I learned in the previous year and discovered that I really enjoy teaching. Second, I was able to conduct research at BUSM in a biochemistry lab. I did not have any lab experience before MAMS and this allowed me to gain a year's worth of research experience. During this time I learned a great deal and also had a great research advisor who helped me along the way. During the second year, I also interviewed for medical schools. Many of my friends from MAMS had multiple interviews and acceptances that year. I was hoping that I would get into BU because my experience in MAMS program made me really like the school and faculty and once I got in I accepted the spot right away.

This year at BUSM has been great. My friends from MAMS and I are always well above average when it comes to test scores among the first years and I learned that this is a common occurrence with MAMS students. This is because we are very well prepared for the workload in medical school and we all have developed study habits that allow us to be efficient and perform well on tests. Additionally, I studied and also taught some of the material that is taught in the first year of medical school, so some of it is a review rather than new material. Lastly, at BU, many of the faculty who taught me in MAMS also teach the medical students, which was a huge selling point for me because of how helpful they were in MAMS.

Overall, MAMS is a great program that helped me get into medical school. After undergraduate I wasn't sure that I would be able to accomplish this, but after the first year of MAMS I was much more confident in my abilities. One thing about MAMS is that you get what you put in. If you come into MAMS and decide that you do not want to work hard and that you do not want to buy into the system and never see your advisor or other faculty then your experience may be more negative. MAMS provides you with all the tools to accomplish your goal, but you have to utilize them. That being said, if you are willing to do the work and have a strong desire to go to medical school, MAMS is great program that can help you accomplish this goal and I recommend checking it out.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to message me. I am happy to answer.

Reactions: 7 users
Hello, I am looking to apply to the MAMS program. My stats are 3.2cgpa, 508 MCAT, and good ECs. I wanted to ask if it is too late to apply and what my chances are, Mike? @BUMAMS2014.6

Hello, I am looking to apply to the MAMS program. My stats are 3.2cgpa, 508 MCAT, and good ECs. I wanted to ask if it is too late to apply and what my chances are, Mike? @BUMAMS2014.6
Hi @superduperdoctor, based on your stats and EC's I would say that you have a good shot at getting accepted. A competitive applicant generally has around a 3.3-3.4 GPA, >507 MCAT (~>30 on the old MCAT), and solid EC's. Also, you are not too late to apply--the application is open until June, so you have plenty of time! However, because it is rolling admissions, it is definitely advantageous to get your application in sooner rather than later.

How did you finance your way thought the entire program? Do they offer scholarships, grants, or work-study programs to help pay for tuition? Or was it mainly loans through FASFA?

Hi!
I am applying right now and have 2 interviews (1 waitlist, 1 yet to occur) and I am considering applying to MAMS in the event that neither school pans out. I would ideally be reapplying this upcoming summer as it would be my last opportunity to not have to take the MCAT again. Do you have many friends who did the program in 1 year and were accepted to schools as reapplicants? My concern would be that my application would be essentially the same as it was last year except for my enrollment in this program - I know many students send their grades as soon as they get them but I'm worried that doesn't really have a huge impact. My stats are gpa ~3.4, MCAT 33. I have excellent research and decent clinical exposure.

Thanks so much for the input!!

How did you finance your way thought the entire program? Do they offer scholarships, grants, or work-study programs to help pay for tuition? Or was it mainly loans through FASFA?
You will have to pay for the majority of the program using student loans. There are a few scholarships offered (I believe in the range of ~$7.5k-12.5k), but those are typically handed out to earlier, more competitive applicants.

Hi!
I am applying right now and have 2 interviews (1 waitlist, 1 yet to occur) and I am considering applying to MAMS in the event that neither school pans out. I would ideally be reapplying this upcoming summer as it would be my last opportunity to not have to take the MCAT again. Do you have many friends who did the program in 1 year and were accepted to schools as reapplicants? My concern would be that my application would be essentially the same as it was last year except for my enrollment in this program - I know many students send their grades as soon as they get them but I'm worried that doesn't really have a huge impact. My stats are gpa ~3.4, MCAT 33. I have excellent research and decent clinical exposure.

Thanks so much for the input!!
If there is no significant change in your application from now until this summer, I would say that you should postpone your re-application to medical school. I know of some individuals who did the 1-year track and were accepted as reapplicants, but from what I know/have seen it is not very common. Many individuals in your position choose to do the 2-year track, as it gives them the opportunity to significantly improve upon their application and present an entire year's worth of grades to admissions committees. Also, as I'm sure you know, the med school application process is not cheap, so applying again right away without any significant improvements could be a financial risk.

Hello, just wondering if it'd be alright to send in my application now without my MCAT.

I have 2.94 cgpa, and 2.95 sgpa, great ECs, shadowing, and 2 publications. I'm planning on taking it on April 1st, so I'd have the scores back on May 1st. Would that be too late? I'm worried because most of my application is complete but I'm lagging on the most important factor of my application (if I do well as in 507+).

Hello, just wondering if it'd be alright to send in my application now without my MCAT.

I have 2.94 cgpa, and 2.95 sgpa, great ECs, shadowing, and 2 publications. I'm planning on taking it on April 1st, so I'd have the scores back on May 1st. Would that be too late? I'm worried because most of my application is complete but I'm lagging on the most important factor of my application (if I do well as in 507+).
That is not too late, you should be okay submitting your scores then. As I've said before, the application is open until June, it is just advised to get your app in sooner because admissions are rolling.

That is not too late, you should be okay submitting your scores then. As I've said before, the application is open until June, it is just advised to get your app in sooner because admissions are rolling.

Thanks for that. It's just that rolling scares me and the fact that spots are filling up and I'm behind because of this late test date terrifies me!

Thanks for that. It's just that rolling scares me and the fact that spots are filling up and I'm behind because of this late test date terrifies me!
If you're worried about your submission date I would submit all parts of your app (except for the MCAT) as soon as possible, then note that you'll be sending in your MCAT scores upon their return in May. This should facilitate review of your app.

If you're worried about your submission date I would submit all parts of your app (except for the MCAT) as soon as possible, then note that you'll be sending in your MCAT scores upon their return in May. This should facilitate review of your app.

Yeah that's exactly what I plan on doing not just here, but across the board with all the schools I apply to. Thanks for the help!

Can we work during our thesis year to at least cover rent and living expenses?

Can we work during our thesis year to at least cover rent and living expenses?
Yes, you can do whatever you'd like during the thesis year. Some people are okay with working full-time in a non-paying lab and living solely on student loans, but many people choose to work ~20hrs in the lab and get a part-time job on the side to help with finances. The decision is yours!

Submitting my application this weekend! Hoping for some love from Boston!

Thank you for your feedback! You're saying talk with an advisor at BU correct?

Thank you for your feedback! You're saying talk with an advisor at BU correct?
It does not need to be an advisor at BU, it could be someone from your undergrad institution. However, if you're looking for advice specifically for applying to MAMS I would try to get in touch with someone here at BU.

Can any previous students share some advice on Human Body Systems?
How did you go about studying for this class?
It appears we need to know
1) Whats on the slides
2) Whats covered in the syllabus outline
3) Bold text words in text book
4) What he says in class

The text book is >> than he covers in slides
I'm only one class in, and it is very difficult to know when he is talking about the actual class at present.
And he didn't go over virtually any of the material in the syllabus outline. Is this normal?

How did you do well in this class?

-R

Hi! I've been accepted to BU MAMS and Tufts MBS and am currently deciding between the two. I'd like to hear any advice on one program vs the other. I get the feeling that BU has better advising but Tufts is more successful, statistically, in getting people into their own school and other medical schools. Despite the statistics, I'm leaning towards BU because I really liked the atmosphere when I visited-Dr. Offner was extremely nice and I met some students/sat in on a class.

Some specific questions I have are 1. What is the grading like? How difficult is it to do well in the program? Is there a curve? 2. Would you advise taking the MCAT immediately before entering the program (late July 2016) or the summer after the program if I'm planning to apply to med school after completing the program? I'm nervous about studying for the MCAT during the program but also think the program might better prepare me for the MCAT. 3. Are the students that get into BU Med ones who entered MAMS with a higher undergrad GPA? Are students that don't get into BU successful in getting into other schools? Thanks so much for your help!!

Hi! I've been accepted to BU MAMS and Tufts MBS and am currently deciding between the two. I'd like to hear any advice on one program vs the other. I get the feeling that BU has better advising but Tufts is more successful, statistically, in getting people into their own school and other medical schools. Despite the statistics, I'm leaning towards BU because I really liked the atmosphere when I visited-Dr. Offner was extremely nice and I met some students/sat in on a class.

Some specific questions I have are 1. What is the grading like? How difficult is it to do well in the program? Is there a curve? 2. Would you advise taking the MCAT immediately before entering the program (late July 2016) or the summer after the program if I'm planning to apply to med school after completing the program? I'm nervous about studying for the MCAT during the program but also think the program might better prepare me for the MCAT. 3. Are the students that get into BU Med ones who entered MAMS with a higher undergrad GPA? Are students that don't get into BU successful in getting into other schools? Thanks so much for your help!!
When were you complete and accepted?

When were you complete and accepted?

I was complete Nov 24th (had an 'undelivery' notice on my application after that which was resolved pretty quickly but may have set things back a few days) and was accepted Dec 29th. Best of luck!

I submitted my application last night. How long does it typically take for the application to be complete and begin to be evaluated?

It does not need to be an advisor at BU, it could be someone from your undergrad institution. However, if you're looking for advice specifically for applying to MAMS I would try to get in touch with someone here at BU.
Okay thanks for your help!

I submitted the app on 1/20, was marked complete 1/22, and admitted 1/25. That was an incredibly fast turnaround!

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted the app on 1/20, was marked complete 1/22, and admitted 1/25. That was an incredibly fast turnaround!
WOW! That's great! You must have had a strong application. Submitted mine this past weekend hopefully I'll get this same turnaround too! haha one can only dream.

EDIT: Literally just got an email at 2:48PM stating my application was complete :)

Last edited:
Submitted 1/22, marked complete 1/25,

Hello! Congrats to everyone accepted so far into the upcoming MAMS year. I was just accepted today. Here are my stats:

27 MCAT
3.85 cumulative GPA (science GPA is almost identical)
Solid research, 1 2nd author publication, multiple research symposiums
Pretty good EC, including service trips to Belize, Supplemental Instructor, study abroad in Africa, and shadowing
Currently scribing in the ER in my hometown

My question is this. Is MAMS right for someone like me? I do well in the classroom, but struggle on things like the MCAT. I feel as if I could bypass the MAMS program and the $$$ involved if I somehow brought up my MCAT. Any help or guidance is much appreciated! I'm not having the best med school cycle right now which is why I applied in the first place

Last edited:
Submitted my app 12/31/2015, complete email 01/05/2016, accepted 01/25/2016.

Very excited about this program!

Was also accepted today! So very excited! Now just have to decide between Tufts MBS and BU... GAH!

Was also accepted today! So very excited! Now just have to decide between Tufts MBS and BU... GAH!

Congrats! I'm trying to make the same decision. Let me know what you're thinking. I visited both campuses and really liked the vibes at BU. Dr. Offner is amazing, the students I spoke with were nice and very positive about the program, but Tufts seems to be slightly more successful, according to each school's reported statistics, at getting their grads into med schools. The numbers say Tufts but my gut says BU. Don't think we can go wrong with either place though.

Hello! Congrats to everyone accepted so far into the upcoming MAMS year. I was just accepted today. Here are my stats:

27 MCAT
Pretty good EC, including service trips to Belize, Supplemental Instructor, styudy abroad in Africa, and shadowing

My question is this. Is MAMS right for someone like me? I do well in the classroom, but struggle on things like the MCAT. I feel as if I could bypass the MAMS program and the $$$ involved if I somehow brought up my MCAT. Any help or guidance is much appreciated! I'm not having the best med school cycle right now which is why I applied in the first place

I would say an SMP is NOT the program you are looking for. This program is usually for the completely opposite student: High (or competitive) MCAT and low GPA. It is a GPA booster, for students whose undergrad GPA's are insufficient. Your GPA is through the roof, and thus I think you would be wasting 60k and risking destroying your application if for some reason your GPA wasn't also stellar in the SMP.

As you know, you need to get that MCAT up. There should be free ways to do so. I couldn't recommend against this program any more for you!

27 MCAT
Pretty good EC, including service trips to Belize, Supplemental Instructor, study abroad in Africa, and shadowing

I agree with LFC85. Take a tiny portion of what you were going to spend on an SMP and do an MCAT review course or private tutoring. If I were you and wasn't accepted this cycle I'd continue with research if that's your interest or do something you can add to your ECs and take a few months to study your ass off for the MCAT. Think of it this way: what's weak in my application? It's definitely not your GPA so an SMP isn't right for you. With a 27 MCAT I'd say you should work the most at getting that score up. Also, maybe think about if there's anything lacking in your essay? Also, have you done any volunteering? Shadowing and scribing gives you good insight, but med schools also want to see that you got your hands dirty.

Congrats! I'm trying to make the same decision. Let me know what you're thinking. I visited both campuses and really liked the vibes at BU. Dr. Offner is amazing, the students I spoke with were nice and very positive about the program, but Tufts seems to be slightly more successful, according to each school's reported statistics, at getting their grads into med schools. The numbers say Tufts but my gut says BU. Don't think we can go wrong with either place though.
Yea I'm right there with you on this one! Dr. Offner has been amazing, and I have a friend who went through the program and has nothing but great things to say. He said it is extremely tough, probably tougher than Tufts, but if you do well then that looks better for schools? In any case, I know what you means, numbers say Tufts, but my gut is with BU.