This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! I've been accepted to BU MAMS and Tufts MBS and am currently deciding between the two. I'd like to hear any advice on one program vs the other. I get the feeling that BU has better advising but Tufts is more successful, statistically, in getting people into their own school and other medical schools. Despite the statistics, I'm leaning towards BU because I really liked the atmosphere when I visited-Dr. Offner was extremely nice and I met some students/sat in on a class.

Some specific questions I have are 1. What is the grading like? How difficult is it to do well in the program? Is there a curve? 2. Would you advise taking the MCAT immediately before entering the program (late July 2016) or the summer after the program if I'm planning to apply to med school after completing the program? I'm nervous about studying for the MCAT during the program but also think the program might better prepare me for the MCAT. 3. Are the students that get into BU Med ones who entered MAMS with a higher undergrad GPA? Are students that don't get into BU successful in getting into other schools? Thanks so much for your help!!
Hi @soyouwannabeadoctor, I'm going to go through and answer your questions in the same order they were asked.
1.) None of the classes you will be taking as a MAMS students are graded on the curve. What this means is that you will NOT be pitted against your fellow students to be one of the 5-10% of individuals who earn an A--i.e., if you get a 92 in a class where a 92 is an A, you get an A. If half the class gets a 92, half the class gets an A. How you do in the program is entirely a result of the work you put in.
2.) If you have already taken the MCAT I would suggest waiting until after completing the program to re-take. Most individuals wait until June after second semester to retake the exam and see IMMENSE improvements in their score (per the old MCAT standards, the average increase per student was somewhere around 4 points). However, if you haven't taken the MCAT yet, try to take it before coming into the program. This will let you set a baseline score for yourself and help you to identify the areas in which you need to improve.
3.) That I know of, there is no direct correlation between MAMS' students undergrad GPA and acceptance to BUSM. Sure, a higher undergrad GPA definitely looks better, but I don't believe that it automatically place one student higher than another. The students who ultimately gain acceptance to BUSM are those who performed well in the program and who demonstrated a commitment to learning and practicing medicine. Those students who do not attend BUSM are accepted into a number of other amazing allopathic medical schools, the list of which can be viewed at the following link: http://www.bumc.bu.edu/gms/mams-gra...admitted-to-the-following-us-medical-schools/.

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi @soyouwannabeadoctor, I'm going to go through and answer your questions in the same order they were asked.
1.) None of the classes you will be taking as a MAMS students are graded on the curve. What this means is that you will NOT be pitted against your fellow students to be one of the 5-10% of individuals who earn an A--i.e., if you get a 92 in a class where a 92 is an A, you get an A. If half the class gets a 92, half the class gets an A. How you do in the program is entirely a result of the work you put in.
2.) If you have already taken the MCAT I would suggest waiting until after completing the program to re-take. Most individuals wait until June after second semester to retake the exam and see IMMENSE improvements in their score (per the old MCAT standards, the average increase per student was somewhere around 4 points). However, if you haven't taken the MCAT yet, try to take it before coming into the program. This will let you set a baseline score for yourself and help you to identify the areas in which you need to improve.
3.) That I know of, there is no direct correlation between MAMS' students undergrad GPA and acceptance to BUSM. Sure, a higher undergrad GPA definitely looks better, but I don't believe that it automatically place one student higher than another. The students who ultimately gain acceptance to BUSM are those who performed well in the program and who demonstrated a commitment to learning and practicing medicine. Those students who do not attend BUSM are accepted into a number of other amazing allopathic medical schools, the list of which can be viewed at the following link: http://www.bumc.bu.edu/gms/mams-gra...admitted-to-the-following-us-medical-schools/.

Hope this helps!

I have a couple of questions

1. How do they determine what score should be an A?
2. In average, do MAMS students perform as well as BUSM students?
3. How many students out total students usually gain acceptance to BUSM?
4. What housing options are there? Can you live in BU campus housings? at what cost?
5. If you choose to do 2 years track, do you pay 4 semesters of tuition?

Thank you

I have a couple of questions

1. How do they determine what score should be an A?
2. In average, do MAMS students perform as well as BUSM students?
3. How many students out total students usually gain acceptance to BUSM?
4. What housing options are there? Can you live in BU campus housings? at what cost?
5. If you choose to do 2 years track, do you pay 4 semesters of tuition?

Thank you
1. The grading scale is set by the profs. The standard for an A varies from class to class, but seeing as these profs have many years of experience under their belts their grading scales are fair and an A is definitely achievable.
2. Yes, MAMS students perform exceedingly well as BUSM students and as students at other medical schools around the country.
3. On average, BUSM admits ~25-30 MAMS students per year. There is no absolute criteria to automatically gain admittance to BUSM.
4. Housing options are available for your viewing at the following link: http://www.bu.edu/offcampus/who-are-you/graduate-student/
5. There is no difference in tuition for the 2-year vs. 1-year track, so no you would not pay 4 semesters of tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. The grading scale is set by the profs. The standard for an A varies from class to class, but seeing as these profs have many years of experience under their belts their grading scales are fair and an A is definitely achievable.
2. Yes, MAMS students perform exceedingly well as BUSM students and as students at other medical schools around the country.
3. On average, BUSM admits ~25-30 MAMS students per year. There is no absolute criteria to automatically gain admittance to BUSM.
4. Housing options are available for your viewing at the following link: http://www.bu.edu/offcampus/who-are-you/graduate-student/
5. There is no difference in tuition for the 2-year vs. 1-year track, so no you would not pay 4 semesters of tuition.

@BUMAMS2014.6

Thank you for the quick response.

Could you possibly elaborate more on housing options?

For instance, any recommendation and ball park cost per month if I get a roomate? Also, I've found that it could be really difficult to find a spot because there are many students in Boston looking for apartment around July/Aug. Any suggestions or advice on that?

Thanks

@BUMAMS2014.6

Thank you for the quick response.

Could you possibly elaborate more on housing options?

For instance, any recommendation and ball park cost per month if I get a roomate? Also, I've found that it could be really difficult to find a spot because there are many students in Boston looking for apartment around July/Aug. Any suggestions or advice on that?

Thanks
Prices for housing vary from location to location and from one style of apartment to the next. It's probably better to look for a roommate or two and go for a 2-3BR, as this will bring down rent costs and also helps to lower utilities costs (cable/gas/electricity/etc.).

In the end, you will find that you essentially need to choose between convenience and price. The South End/Back Bay area will be expensive (~$1300-1400 for 1 BR) but close to campus (2-10 min walk depending on location), while apartments in Brookline/Allston/Fenway will be cheaper but require you to use the MBTA and/or the BU shuttle to get to and from the medical campus (~25-45 min depending on traffic and starting location).

As for the realtor process, I can really only direct you to that website and advise that you do some browsing. I did all of my housing searches through that link and found a few recommended realtor agencies who showed me apartments in the area so I would suggest you do the same.

Hope this helps!

Thanks! I'm curious if you have an idea of what the average score on exams is? I'm sure it varies between different classes, but what I'm trying to get at is how well most students do in the program. Maybe you have an idea of the avg GPA people finish the program with?

Do MAMS student usually perform as well BUSM students in the course that are BUSM equivalent and are we able to see the averages for BUSM students?

Hey everyone, graduating MAMS student here. I'll be moving back to FL at the end of May and would be subletting my apartment for June-August (lease can be renewed by new tenant for the next academic year). It's a 2 bedroom apartment (current roomate is another MAMS student) in a gated community, 2 minutes walk away from BUMC, building laundry facilities, centrally located on a main street with lots of cafes and restaurants nearby, all buses to downtown/chinatown can be caught right outside of the gates. PM for more info!

Thanks! I'm curious if you have an idea of what the average score on exams is? I'm sure it varies between different classes, but what I'm trying to get at is how well most students do in the program. Maybe you have an idea of the avg GPA people finish the program with?
As I had mentioned before, the average score on exams varies from class to class. I can't really say with any sort of certainty what the overall average score is for all the exams.

Overall, students who put in the work and spend the necessary amount of time studying do very well in the program. Doing well is not impossible--I know of a great number of students who finish the 2 semesters of coursework with 3.7+ GPAs. However, I don't know the average GPA.

I just figured out that MAMS program at Boston U offers 3 courses that are really 'medical' courses. Are remainder of classes just regular biology/biomedical graduate courses?

I just figured out that MAMS program at Boston U offers 3 courses that are really 'medical' courses. Are remainder of classes just regular biology/biomedical graduate courses?
The MAMS classes are taught at the medical school level, so that's probably where you got the idea that the courses are really "medical" courses. This does not mean, however, that the classes are taken WITH the medical students--they are just similar in content.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I submit a CV or a resume for the supporting documents?

I just got an acceptance email. Was complete 2/4, 3.1cgpa, 2.6sgpa, no mcat, GRE 158/160/4.5

Reactions: 2 users
Hello! Congrats to everyone accepted so far into the upcoming MAMS year. I was just accepted today. Here are my stats:

27 MCAT
3.85 cumulative GPA (science GPA is almost identical)
Solid research, 1 2nd author publication, multiple research symposiums
Pretty good EC, including service trips to Belize, Supplemental Instructor, study abroad in Africa, and shadowing
Currently scribing in the ER in my hometown

My question is this. Is MAMS right for someone like me? I do well in the classroom, but struggle on things like the MCAT. I feel as if I could bypass the MAMS program and the $$$ involved if I somehow brought up my MCAT. Any help or guidance is much appreciated! I'm not having the best med school cycle right now which is why I applied in the first place

I'm not trying to be rude but why are you applying to SMPs???? You are literally taking up a spot that a student with a low GPA and almost no chance of getting to medical school really needs.

I can list AT LEAST 5 people off the top of my head with your exact same stats that have multiple acceptances. One of my friends, was accepted to 9 schools with your exact numbers. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

Edit: APPLY EARLY. Work hard on your essays and secondaries . Apply broadly. If you can get your MCAT up to the equivalent of a 30 and all other aspects of your application are strong, you should be fine next cycle! Your GPA is amazing. This program is literally your last resort. Dont waste your money or risk getting a low GPA. Study for the mcat. Check out "the mcat professor" his course is pretty damn good.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I just got an acceptance email. Was complete 2/4, 3.1cgpa, 2.6sgpa, no mcat, GRE 158/160/4.5

This post has officially worried me. I was complete before you and I have comparable numbers but I have not heard anything back. What gives.

This post has officially worried me. I was complete before you and I have comparable numbers but I have not heard anything back. What gives.
I submitted my app on 1/29 and all that was missing where my letters of recommendation, so I have a feeling that they may have reviewed my app before I was "complete", pending the letters.

Reactions: 1 user
quick question, is this program one or two years?
pros and cons of each?

Just submitted my program fee and was accepted around 30 min later! (i completed the app around a month ago and was just waiting to pay the fee) Definitely feels good to know that I have a plan if neither of my two interviews pan out! kinda bummed about the $250 deposit tho....I wasn't expecting to hear back so soon and was hoping to have finished my interviews/heard back before I had to put down any cash. Anyone know if they have given anyone extensions in the past?

I submitted my app on 1/29 and all that was missing where my letters of recommendation, so I have a feeling that they may have reviewed my app before I was "complete", pending the letters.

I was complete in November :(

I scored a 21 on my first MCAT. Should I retake the MCAT or take the GRE for the MAMS program?

I withdrew my acceptance today. Decided to go with Tufts MBS instead. Good luck to everyone!!

Would submitting the application in May be too late? I am taking the MCAT in April and wont have my scores till late May.

I have a question for all those applying to special masters programs. How many schools did you guys apply to? I plan to apply to Boston University and Tufts. I am not sure what other schools have May/June deadlines. Do you guys recommend that I apply more like 5?

I have a question for all those applying to special masters programs. How many schools did you guys apply to? I plan to apply to Boston University and Tufts. I am not sure what other schools have May/June deadlines. Do you guys recommend that I apply more like 5?

I applied to BU, Tufts, and Midwestern. Also applied for a post-bacc at VCOM and an MPH program in my state. Looking into applying for the SMP at LMU-DCOM once I get more information from them.

Anyone know when we need to pay the deposit by? I've "accepted" my offer for now, but my plans for the fall are still up in the air with the pending med school cycle so I'd like to avoid paying the $$$ unless I was certain this is where I'll end up.

Thanks!

Hi can anyone share some insight on the Oral Health Sciences track? I have looked everywhere for people's opinion on this and can't find much other than "It's expensive"... LOL.

Just got an email saying that my application is on hold at this time. They should be getting my GRE scores sometime next week hopefully that helps!

got an email this morning that my application is on hold too. my stats are 3.14cgpa/2.7sgpa/GRE score of 319/ no MCAT/ tons of extracurricular. Not sure what else to do.

Last edited:
Is the program full already? I was planning to have my application complete by May since I am taking the MCAT in April.

Is the program full already? I was planning to have my application complete by May since I am taking the MCAT in April.

I highly doubt that's it's full at this point. The deadline to apply is sometime in July.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Who did you guys address the LOR to? I couldn't find the info online...

Accepted! Completed 3/2, accepted 3/4, super quick turnaround.

Hi everyone! I recently accepted my MAMS offer, just wondering if anyone who has experienced the program has any insight on the difficulty of coursework? Are there any old study materials or exams to look over? Thanks in advance! Coming from Vancouver BC, if anyone knows much about housing and entertainment in Boston :)

Does anyone know if there is a Facebook page for the upcoming class?

hey! I am just wondering thoughts on if you think I'll be accepted or not?

BU Undergrad
sGPA: 3.2
cGPA: 3.5
EC: tons of hospital experience both in the US and abroad
Good recommendations
Contact with program directors
major issue: GRE practice exams are showing Q146 V154

thank you!!

I think you should all know this before you decide to spend a ton of money and a whole year of your life in this program.

I loved MAMS. I loved the program, the professors, the classes. Loved it.My MCAT went up six points!

But it didn't work out for me.

I had a 3.0-3.2 uGPA
top 30 school
MCAT in 98th percentile
4.0 MAMS GPA

three years of basic research
one year of clinical research
much volunteering
much leadership

I didn't get into med school- I applied eaaaarly and everywhere- two years ago.

Do the program if you want- but please understand it doesn't always work- even if you do really well.

Is anyone else having issues with adding experiences on their application? Mine keeps crashing. I keep getting the message, "A system error occurred, Please contact system administrator".........

The CAS sites like BUCAS don't work very well in Google Chrome. Are you using Chrome? Try using Internet Explorer if you can.

I think you should all know this before you decide to spend a ton of money and a whole year of your life in this program.

I loved MAMS. I loved the program, the professors, the classes. Loved it.My MCAT went up six points!

But it didn't work out for me.

I had a 3.0-3.2 uGPA
top 30 school
MCAT in 98th percentile
4.0 MAMS GPA

three years of basic research
one year of clinical research
much volunteering
much leadership

I didn't get into med school- I applied eaaaarly and everywhere- two years ago.

Do the program if you want- but please understand it doesn't always work- even if you do really well.

Do you think you had application weaknesses that the program did not address? You are expressing the potential outcome which most worries me, especially when I can spend that time and one fourth the money getting a second bachelor's degree at my state school. Similar stats, too.

I just applied today. I wish I heard of this program sooner. Im currently waitlisted at Georgetown and was admitted to LECOM post bacc program, still waiting to hear from Temple and I may or may not be waiting for Drexel (their portal is messed up)
Does anyone know if they will mark the app complete without all the official transcripts? In the app it said they will use unofficial for review but my app still says incomplete.

I just applied today. I wish I heard of this program sooner. Im currently waitlisted at Georgetown and was admitted to LECOM post bacc program, still waiting to hear from Temple and I may or may not be waiting for Drexel (their portal is messed up)
Does anyone know if they will mark the app complete without all the official transcripts? In the app it said they will use unofficial for review but my app still says incomplete.
I sent my unofficial transcripts to that email address on their website and then sent my official ones once accepted. If you have everything submitted, maybe shoot Lynesse Wallace an email to check that your application is complete. I think you should be fine with unofficial transcripts for review purposes!

Do you think you had application weaknesses that the program did not address? You are expressing the potential outcome which most worries me, especially when I can spend that time and one fourth the money getting a second bachelor's degree at my state school. Similar stats, too.

Firstly, I don't think i had a weakness the program did not address.
Secondly, if I did, you would think my advisers at MAMS would have pointed it out to me at some point. I asked multiple times if I should even postpone applying for a year to build up my application- and I was told time and time again I would be fine with my app as it was. So...yeah.

People with less impressive performance in MAMS/ on the MCAT have been successful getting into medschool with higher undergraduate GPA's.

sometimes- people with the same stats as me get in- but who knows what they had up their sleeve that you probably don't have.