This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
By the way- here is another example of someone with excellent performance in MAMS, a stellar MCAT and no acceptances - this time applying this cycle:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/questions-about-iis-rejections.1184670/#post-17450500

"
Stats:
Undergrad cumulative GPA: 3.57
Undergrad science GPA: 3.38
Graduate cumulative GPA: 3.81
Graduate science GPA: 3.79
Old MCAT: 31 (83rd percentile)
New MCAT 2015: 522 (99th percentile)
CT resident"

and she didn't get in anywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Complete but they haven't received my transcript yet...? Lol ok, I'll take it.

Called today about my hold status and was told to check back in 4 weeks if I haven't heard anything yet

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted in the same day as I was complete? Wtf? I'd be really happy right now if I weren't so suspicious :eyebrow: I just got the email about 20 minutes ago. Sorry if I sound like the most neurotic person right now, but is the acceptance email from [email protected] ? I can see the acceptance letter when I click on the link it provides me (in the email) to go to the BU portal, but I don't see the acceptance when I log into the BU portal on my own. Maybe it's just processing, but I'm also convinced the turnover can't be this fast :thinking: Someone is conspiring against me... LOL

Holding my breath for now! Gonna call them tomorrow to confirm

Is starting the application for this program considered too late now?

Accepted in the same day as I was complete? Wtf? I'd be really happy right now if I weren't so suspicious :eyebrow: I just got the email about 20 minutes ago. Sorry if I sound like the most neurotic person right now, but is the acceptance email from [email protected] ? I can see the acceptance letter when I click on the link it provides me (in the email) to go to the BU portal, but I don't see the acceptance when I log into the BU portal on my own. Maybe it's just processing, but I'm also convinced the turnover can't be this fast :thinking: Someone is conspiring against me... LOL

Holding my breath for now! Gonna call them tomorrow to confirm

I'm sure that means you are accepted! I doubt they'd make a mistake like that.
When you log onto the portal, does it say your application is complete? When I go to "check status" it still says awaiting materials (transcripts) but I got a complete email the other day.

I'm sure that means you are accepted! I doubt they'd make a mistake like that.
When you log onto the portal, does it say your application is complete? When I go to "check status" it still says awaiting materials (transcripts) but I got a complete email the other day.

Yeah they still haven't received the transcript that my registrar sent out via snail mail two days ago, but I received an email that I was complete. The actual portal still says that I'm missing the transcript though. I read up on the website again today and it seems that the BU MAMS program doesn't require an official transcript, but the BU portal is designed for all graduate programs, hence incomplete on the app but complete by MAMS standards.

Is starting the application for this program considered too late now?

Nope! I submitted my app on the Tuesday. The program is also on rolling admission but suggests all apps be submitted before the start of June so you're in the clear :D

Yeah they still haven't received the transcript that my registrar sent out via snail mail two days ago, but I received an email that I was complete. The actual portal still says that I'm missing the transcript though. I read up on the website again today and it seems that the BU MAMS program doesn't require an official transcript, but the BU portal is designed for all graduate programs, hence incomplete on the app but complete by MAMS standards.
What was your MCAT score (if you don't mine my asking)?

Oh great job! Did you confirm you got in? They got my transcripts so now I'm just waiting....

Thank you! And yes, I got my confirmation this morning :D Apparently there are some problems with the portal, so the acceptance doesn't always come through if you log in to the portal independently If you end up having the same problem, they can resend the acceptance for peace of mind haha. Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Is it harder to get accepted if my application is completed by May? I take the MCAT on April 23.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it harder to get accepted if my application is completed by May? I take the MCAT on April 23.
Admissions are rolling so it's advantageous to get your application in as soon as possible. I would suggest that you submit all aspects of your application except the MCAT and inform admissions that your score is forthcoming.

Does anyone know how often admissions looks over applications on hold?

Does anyone know if it's possible to juggle a part time job while completing this program? I'm thinking about taking a job as an RA for undergrad housing (~20 hours/ week) in order to offset the cost of living in Boston.

Does anyone know if it's possible to juggle a part time job while completing this program? I'm thinking about taking a job as an RA for undergrad housing (~20 hours/ week) in order to offset the cost of living in Boston.
The general consensus seems to be DON'T work the first year, especially the first semester. The program is difficult, and you shouldn't risk getting mediocre grades, as it will destroy any chances you have at attaining med school admission.

Submitted my app on 2/25 and was admitted on 3/10!

3.22 cgpa 3.0 sgpa, GRE: 152/167/4.5

10+ volunteer trips abroad (1 medical)--total of 9 months, clinical research at Harvard affiliated hospital, 10 medical specialties shadowed, and taught/tutored gen chem as an undergrad TA.

Was also just accepted to Tufts MBS but decided on BU. Can't wait to start in the fall!

I know the RA selection rounds for this coming academic year are closed, but they may have a second round of interviews in May! I would check into that! It definitely is possible. I'm going to be an RA this coming year while in the MAMS program and I have several friends who have done the same. Good luck!

Submitted my app on 2/25 and was admitted on 3/10!

3.22 cgpa 3.0 sgpa, GRE: 152/167/4.5

10+ volunteer trips abroad (1 medical)--total of 9 months, clinical research at Harvard affiliated hospital, 10 medical specialties shadowed, and taught/tutored gen chem as an undergrad TA.

Was also just accepted to Tufts MBS but decided on BU. Can't wait to start in the fall!

Just wondering, what made you pick BU over Tufts? I may be in a similar situation where I choose between the two.

Congrats! I don't mean this in a hurtful way, but I am very surprised you were accepted based on your stats. I had a meeting with Dr. Offner after not hearing back about my application for several weeks, who told me that I was not competitive enough for the program, and my cGPA, sGPA are much higher than yours. :( This really bothers me as she made me feel very terrible during our meeting, basically implying I had zero chance of ever going to medical school
I'm very non-traditional so my numbers are somewhat misleading. I've had a GPA of 3.92 over my last 152 units, I just screwed up so badly in my first few years that my average is never going up. With enough time and hard work, I think you can pretty much overcome anything in med school admissions (barring criminal records/cheating/other truly nefarious things), but many people aren't willing to put in that time and work. If you want it, keep working for it, and good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! I don't mean this in a hurtful way, but I am very surprised you were accepted based on your stats. I had a meeting with Dr. Offner after not hearing back about my application for several weeks, who told me that I was not competitive enough for the program, and my cGPA, sGPA are much higher than yours. :( This really bothers me as she made me feel very terrible during our meeting, basically implying I had zero chance of ever going to medical school
What is your MCAT? Don't listen to anyone who says you have zero chance of going to med school. it may be a longer process for some, but not impossible.

Hey fellow potential classmates. I am currently in the process of applying and wanted to if we're required to submit all examination attempts (i.e. US DAT scores). My first attempt at the US DAT yielded an unsatisfactory score and I plan on retaking it within the following month. Additionally, are there any people applying to MAMS with an intent on applying for dental school afterwards? If so, would the US DAT be enough or would I need to take the GRE as well? Also, how long was your personal statement? I think I may have to pour my soul into my personal statement due to my subpar gpa.
Hey there, if you're looking to apply to dental school in the future, this program may not be right for you. The classes are largely geared towards those who want to apply for medical school. Additionally, only MCAT or GRE scores are accepted, so you would have to take one or the other. As for the last question, my personal statement was approximately 1000 words long, which is the suggested limit on their website.

Hey guys, Application was completed on april 1st and I got my acceptance last night! They had a lot of my stuff on file for months now, and all I needed was my personal statement, so that may be the reason for the quick turnaround.

Hey everyone! I'm just wrapping up my first year of MAMS and let me say, it's been an incredibly intense but rewarding year. Be sure to enjoy summer before September since you won't have much time fun afterward!

I'm currently looking for 2 (preferably female) roommates to renew my lease with me this September. It's a great 2 BR/2 bath (living room is a 'third' bedroom - opaque fully closeable curtain already installed) apartment right across from BUSM, so you won't have to worry about commuting or losing sleep. If any of you are interested in moving to Boston a bit earlier, one room will be available beginning May and the other in July.

PM me for details!

Congrats!! They let you know on a Sunday??
When was your application complete?

My bad! I received my acceptance on the 2nd which was a Saturday but didn't check the email until Sunday! And I was complete on 3/29.

Hey guys, Application was completed on april 1st and I got my acceptance last night! They had a lot of my stuff on file for months now, and all I needed was my personal statement, so that may be the reason for the quick turnaround.
Hey, I have almost everything ready EXCEPT my Personal Statement. Were you able to submit the application without the personal statement and then submit it after? That's pretty much the only thing I have left to do besides one more LOR that should be coming in soon!

Hey, I have almost everything ready EXCEPT my Personal Statement. Were you able to submit the application without the personal statement and then submit it after? That's pretty much the only thing I have left to do besides one more LOR that should be coming in soon!

In my experience, you could not submit the application until everything is checked off. However, the admission side is still able to look through the things that you have uploaded so far. I had everything ready in my application portal but could not submit because the letter of recommendation tab couldn't be checked off (I sent them through Interfolio and assumed someone would manually check off that they've received them, but it turned out you had to leave a dummy email in the form anyway). So I had all my stuff sitting in the portal for ~2 weeks and they accepted me immediately after I was complete, so I'm assuming they had already looked through everything and was just waiting for the final submission.

In my experience, you could not submit the application until everything is checked off. However, the admission side is still able to look through the things that you have uploaded so far. I had everything ready in my application portal but could not submit because the letter of recommendation tab couldn't be checked off (I sent them through Interfolio and assumed someone would manually check off that they've received them, but it turned out you had to leave a dummy email in the form anyway). So I had all my stuff sitting in the portal for ~2 weeks and they accepted me immediately after I was complete, so I'm assuming they had already looked through everything and was just waiting for the final submission.

Yeah, that was what I was wondering since I have been completing these applications little by little since I'm still writing my PS and awaiting LOR's. Hopefully once I submit they would see my uploaded LOR's and documents from October, implying my vesting interest in the program haha

Yeah, that was what I was wondering since I have been completing these applications little by little since I'm still writing my PS and awaiting LOR's. Hopefully once I submit they would see my uploaded LOR's and documents from October, implying my vesting interest in the program haha

If you've had things uploaded since October, they've most likely seen those documents already. Your uploaded documents can be viewed by adcoms, regardless of whether you've submitted the full application yet

For those who applied, what kind of experiences did you guys put on the experience section of the application? Past jobs, research, etc.?

For those who applied, what kind of experiences did you guys put on the experience section of the application? Past jobs, research, etc.?
For me personally I put in past employment along with volunteer/shadowing experience. When I asked Dr. Offner about what kinds of things to put in there she just said the main experiences were fine since a resume/CV is required. It would probably be a good idea to put research experience in there as well.

Hey everyone, welcome to the 2016-2017 thread for the Boston University MAMS Program! My name is Mike and I'm currently a second year MAMS student here at BU, so if anyone has any questions about the program, housing options, or Boston in general post them here and I'll answer as best as I can!

Good luck to everyone who has yet to apply and congratulations to those who have been accepted!

Hey guys, I was just accepted to the BU MAMS program. I am trying to decide where to go between BU and several other similar Masters programs. I was wondering if you guys had any incite as to why BU may be the best choice if I am applying to MD and DO schools this upcoming cycle. (I would do the one year option)

cGPA: 3.41 sGPA: 3.24 (From a Top liberal arts school, infamous for severe grade deflation). junior/ senior sGPA: 3.55. MCAT: Taken but the scores were dropped due to a medical issue of mine. Will retake in June/July
Varsity All-Conference Athlete.
Plenty of clinical and research experience.

Thank you everyone! I know thats alot of info! hah

Similar to others who have posted here, I had everything except my statement uploaded for atleast a month prior to my personal statement uploading/app submission. I heard back relatively quickly, a few short days, after submission so I'm assuming that the committee had looked through my things as they came in

Spoke with someone yesterday to get a status check on my application. I was placed on hold in February and as of yesterday I'm still on hold. I was told to call back again in 4 weeks if I had not heard anything from them again at that point. Also they said that their hold list is their informal waitlist

Hey guys, I've been accepted to MAMS for the upcoming year and I'm planning on attending. I was wondering how often MAMS students live together or if most people stay in studio/ 1 bedroom apartments? Thanks

Got accepted as well a few weeks ago, hope to see you all in the fall

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Got my acceptance!
Complete on 3/29 and got my acceptance on 4/10! hope to see everyone in the fall!

Hey man, glad to see a fellow pre-dent get accepted. Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats, and DAT scores? Am submitting my application in the following week.
cGPA 3.1 sGPA 3.0 DAT 20 although I had extremely strong AC and I assume compelling PS. I applied had complete application by 3/10 and found out 3/17 St. Patrick's Day :luck:

cGPA 3.1 sGPA 3.0 DAT 20 although I had extremely strong AC and I assume compelling PS. I applied had complete application by 3/10 and found out 3/17 St. Patrick's Day :luck:

Have you guys found/joined the closed Facebook group for our class? I just accepted today so not sure if I'm supposed to get a request or not

Have you guys found/joined the closed Facebook group for our class? I just accepted today so not sure if I'm supposed to get a request or not
No I haven't, if you do feel free to PM the link!

got into this program, can anybody talk about why they picked BU over Tufts? or other SMP's?

Just curious, when was your application marked complete? Also what are your stats if you don't mind sharing, I'm trying to calm my nerves here as I'm still waiting to hear back
emoji28.png

Last edited by a moderator: