This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey guys,

I am really interested in this program and applied in mid feb. I am not sure if i made a good decision or not because I have not heard back yet. Anyone know if I have any good chances.
GPA 3.6
MCAT 23

I know I am in the low end for the MCAT, hence the reason I am applying to the program to improve my science background before taking another round for the exam.

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys,

I am really interested in this program and applied in mid feb. I am not sure if i made a good decision or not because I have not heard back yet. Anyone know if I have any good chances.
GPA 3.6
MCAT 23

I know I am in the low end for the MCAT, hence the reason I am applying to the program to improve my science background before taking another round for the exam.

Are you trolling? This is an awful investment to improve your MCAT score, assuming you have taken all the requirements already. You could take literally every MCAT prep course available and still save thousands. Your GPA is good enough for an MD acceptance, so doing a program designed to help a lower GPA is not good. I would honestly invest in a private tutor for the amount of money this SMP would cost.

Usually I'm a lurker, but this needs to be addressed. Many SMPs, BU included, are NOT JUST for repairing a damaged GPA. Some people may need (or simply want) more upper level science courses, research experience, or a more formalized support system to help you get into medical school. There's tons of resources at your disposal within these programs; IT'S MEANT TO HELP YOU REACH MED SCHOOL. To be honest, it really bothers me when people think the sole purpose of these programs to bring up a poor GPA from undergrad. Like many have said before me, "it's a way to prove to schools that you can handle the rigor of a medical school curriculum."

Can we just leave it at that? People with good GPAs are NOT necessarily wasting their time (and money) with an SMP. All loans will be paid back someday, I mean Christ, are people forgetting what career field we chose?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, when was your application marked complete? Also what are your stats if you don't mind sharing, I'm trying to calm my nerves here as I'm still waiting to hear back
emoji28.png
complete in early november, accepted Dec 29th
3.3 cGPA/sGPA, 28 MCAT. Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Usually I'm a lurker, but this needs to be addressed. Many SMPs, BU included, are NOT JUST for repairing a damaged GPA. Some people may need (or simply want) more upper level science courses, research experience, or a more formalized support system to help you get into medical school. There's tons of resources at your disposal within these programs; IT'S MEANT TO HELP YOU REACH MED SCHOOL. To be honest, it really bothers me when people think the sole purpose of these programs to bring up a poor GPA from undergrad. Like many have said before me, "it's a way to prove to schools that you can handle the rigor of a medical school curriculum."

Can we just leave it at that? People with good GPAs are NOT necessarily wasting their time (and money) with an SMP. All loans will be paid back someday, I mean Christ, are people forgetting what career field we chose?
Okay, I apologize. Perhaps my post was not well-informed. Still, I'm not sure how exactly someone with a low MCAT score and a 3.6 would benefit from an SMP program, where your primary objective is to take courses and do well in them. MCAT preparation is different than taking courses. Although you will improve your content knowledge in some areas, SMP's are not MCAT preparation degrees.

Okay, I apologize. Perhaps my post was not well-informed. Still, I'm not sure how exactly someone with a low MCAT score and a 3.6 would benefit from an SMP program, where your primary objective is to take courses and do well in them. MCAT preparation is different than taking courses. Although you will improve your content knowledge in some areas, SMP's are not MCAT preparation degrees.

Oh no need to apologize! I just think it's unfair to generalize. How do you know the MCAT is all he/she needs? Getting into medical/dental/whatever school is far more complex than simple GPA/mcat numerics. That's the beauty of these programs; to cater to the wide variety of tasks of that us woeful pre-professional students need to fulfill

Is it possible to get accepted with a 21 MCAT score? I took the MCAT 2 years ago and only scored a 21. Should I retake to get the score that BUMAMS requires which is about 500 on the new MCAT? Will this help my chances of being accepted? However, I am concerned with having to take the MCAT a third time. My MCAT test date is this Saturday.

I would really prefer to take the MCAT after I complete the coursework at BUMAMS but I don't know if I can be accepted with a 21. Can someone provide any advice on what I should do. Thanks.

^ Most definitely retake the MCAT.
How have your practice scores been coming along? I'd say that if you are scoring around 505, you may have a decent chance of scoring within +/- range or higher, depending on the practice tests you have taken. If you scored around 502-508 on the Practice AAMC FL, chances are you will score near that range. I don't think I've seen anyone score below their AAMC practice FL score.
From the updated MCAT data from the compilation of test-takers in 2015, the average I believe was 499.2, which most schools correspond to 24-25. Scoring above a 500 can give you a much better chance in getting in the program, however, if this is your 2nd time taking the MCAT, you really have to be sure you are confident enough to do well. I think the latest MCAT they take are the ones that have the scores released in July. Maybe take a few months and study for one of the June MCAT dates. Depending on your GPA and other factors, they may put you on hold pending the new MCAT score.

Is it possible to get accepted with a 21 MCAT score? I took the MCAT 2 years ago and only scored a 21. Should I retake to get the score that BUMAMS requires which is about 500 on the new MCAT? Will this help my chances of being accepted? However, I am concerned with having to take the MCAT a third time. My MCAT test date is this Saturday.

I would really prefer to take the MCAT after I complete the coursework at BUMAMS but I don't know if I can be accepted with a 21. Can someone provide any advice on what I should do. Thanks.
If you don't feel ready to do your absolute best on the MCAT, remember that BU MAMS also accepts GRE scores! That might be a good way for you to prove your competence on standardized tests, and maybe include a note saying that you plan to take the MCAT next year? It might be detrimental to your med school applications to rush the MCAT just to try to get into BU MAMS and end up having to re-take it one more time.

Would taking the GRE in May be okay for this years application cycle?

Just paid my deposit today!! Can't wait to see everyone in the fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how long it took for them to hear back after transcript verification? I uploaded my unofficial transcripts as pdfs months ago, but I just sent in my official transcripts a couple days ago.

It says on the website that everything must be in by June 1st. If i take the GRE in May the scores will get there by mid june.

Anyone know how long it took for them to hear back after transcript verification? I uploaded my unofficial transcripts as pdfs months ago, but I just sent in my official transcripts a couple days ago.

I was accepted with unofficial transcripts. They need official transcripts before you matriculate.

I was accepted with unofficial transcripts. They need official transcripts before you matriculate.
Thanks! I see you have been accepted to multiple programs. Have you decided which one would be most helpful to your goals?

It says on the website that everything must be in by June 1st. If i take the GRE on May 16, will the scores be released in time for consideration?

Yes! I took the GRE and applied

I just submitted with a GRE score, do you mind me asking what your score was? I am worried about not being competitive because of it.

I will be completing the MAMS program this year. I urge you to think very thoughtfully about attending this program. While some of you will do very well and will get into medical school, sadly, this is not the case for everyone. More specifically, a much smaller percentage of students than "advertised" will get into medical school. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Hey everyone, graduating BU MAMS student here. I'll be moving back to FL at the end of June and would be subletting my apartment for July-August (lease can be renewed by new tenant for the next academic year). It's a 2 bedroom apartment (current roomate is another MAMS student) in a gated community, 2 minutes walk away from BUMC, building laundry facilities, centrally located on a main street with lots of cafes and restaurants nearby, all buses to downtown/chinatown/Tufts can be caught right outside of the gates. PM for more info!

I think you are giving terrible advice. If you want to improve all the other things on your app like MCAT, extracurriculars, research, there are far better resources to do that. Heck, you can even get paid while doing research or other extracurricular resume building activities. Spending tens of thousands of dollars on an SMP when you have a good GPA is negligent use of money and time and seeing posts like yours lead naive premeds desperate for a fix to believe otherwise is rather unfortunate.

Your entire reasoning of trivializing loans is mind bogglingly poor judgement. Have you ever had to pay off loans, provide for yourself or your family?

You are just assuming that all these people are entering SMPs and doing well and getting into medical school. What if they fail? What if they destroy a solid uGPA? The fact that an applicant with a good GPA can improve all aspects of their application and save time and money doing so is a far better choice than rushing into an SMP thinking it will solve their problems. Your inability to assess risk and cost is just absolutely frightful for a potential doctor.

I have to completely agree with piii. I felt that the resources were very limited but that we were being sold the "potential" to be a successful medical school applicant. In reality, that didn't happen for many students. Even the BU medical school took in very very few of the MAMS students, giving me (and others) the impression that they don't believe in us as future doctors. If some students succeed and get straight A's in the MAMS program and still don't get an acceptance, its likely because they're trying to protect their GPA/MCAT numbers. But, at the same time, some of the smartest people in my class were only offered one (mayyyyybe 2) acceptances to somewhat underwhelming schools. Take that as you wish (1: yes, they did get into a medical school or 2: medical schools didn't see a MAMS 4.0 as very important in their admissions decisions).

Regarding resources, 2nd year MAMS students serve as tutors but hadn't taken the class in a calendar year so were very rusty and unfamiliar with many of the concepts. I had multiple professors who were rude to me when I asked for help. I tried so hard to improve and change my study habits but one professor said to my face "well maybe just study harder."

will having my test scores by May 25th be too late for admission

Does anyone know when they usually start picking people off from the wait/hold list?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

^ Idk. How long did it take to get put on the waitlist? I was complete 2 weeks ago and haven't heard back since.

Is the class already full? I plan to have my application complete by May 16

^ Idk. How long did it take to get put on the waitlist? I was complete 2 weeks ago and haven't heard back since.

I was complete in December and was placed on hold around the end of February. Was just wondering if they pull anyone from there before the June 1st application deadline

How many people are generally accepted to the program? Is it too late to apply?

How many people are generally accepted to the program? Is it too late to apply?

I think the class size is somewhere around 160 students. I would still apply because there is still a month or so until the application deadline. It really depends on your personal statistics and what you want to gain from the program though.

I am selling an entire apartment's worth of furniture for $1000. Everything is in almost new/clean condition. Near BUMC. PM for details

I have a few questions about MAMS I was hoping someone could answer. I should start by saying I applied in early February and was almost immediately accepted (as some previous posts mentioned, I, too, was waiting on a letter of recommendation to be uploaded after I submitted my pieces, and it seemed like they had already reviewed my application with how quickly I was offered a spot). I accepted the offer that week but haven't had much time to figure out logistics since then!

For housing, how easy is it to find roommates, and do most people live with other students in the program? I know about the BU housing website, is that where you find roommates? Should I already be thinking and planning this? I'm a little nervous I'll leave it too long and won't be able to find anything. Also, how bad/good/tolerable is the commute from Comm Ave? Using the shuttle I was told it's about 15 minutes, but does anyone have experience with this and does it make a huge difference to live in the South End to be close to campus?

Sorry to ask if these have been answered before - I tried to catch up on the thread before posting! Thanks in advance for any help!

Reactions: 1 users
I emailed them a couple days ago and they said as of mid-April (I'm guessing that's when the last wave of acceptances went out) they are not nearing capacity.

I have a few questions about MAMS I was hoping someone could answer. I should start by saying I applied in early February and was almost immediately accepted (as some previous posts mentioned, I, too, was waiting on a letter of recommendation to be uploaded after I submitted my pieces, and it seemed like they had already reviewed my application with how quickly I was offered a spot). I accepted the offer that week but haven't had much time to figure out logistics since then!

For housing, how easy is it to find roommates, and do most people live with other students in the program? I know about the BU housing website, is that where you find roommates? Should I already be thinking and planning this? I'm a little nervous I'll leave it too long and won't be able to find anything. Also, how bad/good/tolerable is the commute from Comm Ave? Using the shuttle I was told it's about 15 minutes, but does anyone have experience with this and does it make a huge difference to live in the South End to be close to campus?

Sorry to ask if these have been answered before - I tried to catch up on the thread before posting! Thanks in advance for any help!

I commuted from the BU undergrad campus area via the BU shuttle. I went in thinking this would be an easy and cheap way to get to school. DO NOT rely on the shuttle. Taking the shuttle for a year was a miserable experience (and I currently commute 1 hour on the T each way currently which is way less painful than the shuttle). During the morning and evening commute times, the shuttle is packed to the brim with undergrads (until you LITERALLY cannot add another person to the bus); they don't understand how to let people off the bus and people have to resort to shoving and shouting to simply be able to get off at their stop. It CAN take 15-20 minutes from BU undergrad campus to the BU med campus, but that is very rare. Most mornings were about 25 minutes but between 3pm-6:30pm the commute is NO LESS than 40 minutes. I would sometimes walk the 2.5 miles back to my apartment instead of sitting on the bus for 45 minutes.

If I did it over again, I would get an apartment within 10-15 minutes walking distance from BU med campus. Yes, getting to the T can be a 10 minute walk from that area, but you won't be using the T very much since you'll be studying all the time. Most people lived with other MAMS students and very few lived with random people from Craigslist or wherever. I would try to secure housing by mid-June so you have plenty of time to find roommates on the MAMS facebook group. Perhaps email Dr. Offner since I'm sure several students have already emailed her asking about roommates for housing.

Just got rejected. Good luck to everyone else!

Ok this is like a totally noob question, but what time do classes start everyday? And when do they end?

Also, would anyone recommend getting a car? I'm a bit wary of Boston roads but commuting via the T seems like a pain

Last edited:
Ok this is like a totally noob question, but what time do classes start everyday? And when do they end?

Also, would anyone recommend getting a car? I'm a bit wary of Boston roads but commuting via the T seems like a pain

During first semester, classes start at 8 or 830 some days and other days 10am. The last class doesn't end until sometimes 4/5pm. This isn't every day but at least a few days a week. During second semester, most people could make better schedules and have classes start at 10. One class (stats) would go until about 5-6pm once a week.

Cars are super expensive to have in Boston and street parking at your apartment will be a nightmare. Don't live in a place where you have to take the T. The nearest T station is Back Bay on the Orange line and thats a solid 10-15+ minute walk. Live as close as possible to campus. I paid $1600 for a studio near the undergrad campus and took the shuttle- it was horrible (see previous shuttle post). I had friends paying $2100 or so to live across the street from the school. If I could do it over again, I would have taken out extra loans for the convenience. Friends who lived really close to school could always go home for a short nap/lunch/to recharge.

Can anyone recommend textbooks for the 1st semester courses? I should probably ask around to my med friends before moving! Or a course syllabus? PM me

-

Last edited:
Already 65 members? Lol goodbye chances :/ Probably more since a lot of people don't use FB.

1st year MAMS student here finishing up. You still have time to apply. Myself and some of my friends didn't apply till June and were able to get in. Class size is around 180 and not everyone in the Facebook group is an incoming student, so don't use that as an indictor of how full the class is.

Anyone here apply to the Tulane M.S. - Pharmacology program? I got into that yesterday but still haven't heard from BU

I scored a 158-Q and 152-V on the gre today. What should I do?

For those of you who are asking about the FB group:

Only those students who have been accepted to the MAMS program and who have confirmed their enrollment (via submission of a deposit) will be given access to the Class of 2018 FB group. There is a bit of a delay between when your deposit is submitted and when we, as the FB moderators, are given the okay to grant you access, so please be patient and we'll do our best to get you in there!