This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Guys!

I applied on 6/21 and got accepted yesterday (6/23). I only applied to two schools--BU and Rosalind Franklin. Could anyone help me decide which one I should choose? At first I was leaning toward RFU just because it is close to my home and they have direct linkage to their med school, but looking into other threads, BU MAMS seems to be a great program for those who are looking to apply to many other med schools. I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Thank you very much in advance,
Would you mind sharing your stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I too am interested in this program, and was wondering if anyone has feedback on whether or not this program would be right for me.
I graduated in spring 2014 with a B.S. in Biomedical Engineering, with a 3.4 cGPA, significant upward trend every year since my freshman year, and a 30 mcat.

I have lots of hospital volunteer research, as well as shadowing. Not a ton of significant research experience (no publications or anything), however, I did help found a medical device 'company'/research group that has won a few entrepreneurship competitions and secured partnerships with local hospitals.

I applied to medical school this last cycle (20+ schools), and only got 1 interview and am currently waitlisted. Would this program be right for me if I aced it in order to really bring my application to a level where I could be at least semi-confident in getting in somewhere? Or would it be better to just study a lot and retake the mcat? I'm hesitant of the latter option due to the fact that I could improve my application in more areas than one with this kind of program, while retaking my mcat would just solely be improving my mcat.

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate anyone who can give me insight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Paid my deposit here just now. Took me a while to decide between MAMS and Gtown SMP, but after a good week of researching and talking to alumni of each, it seems like I'd personally be happiest with going to BU. Excited to make the move! Let me know if you need help through the same decision because it was one of the most brutal ones I've ever faced :)

Hey everyone,

I too am interested in this program, and was wondering if anyone has feedback on whether or not this program would be right for me.
I graduated in spring 2014 with a B.S. in Biomedical Engineering, with a 3.4 cGPA, significant upward trend every year since my freshman year, and a 30 mcat.

I have lots of hospital volunteer research, as well as shadowing. Not a ton of significant research experience (no publications or anything), however, I did help found a medical device 'company'/research group that has won a few entrepreneurship competitions and secured partnerships with local hospitals.

I applied to medical school this last cycle (20+ schools), and only got 1 interview and am currently waitlisted. Would this program be right for me if I aced it in order to really bring my application to a level where I could be at least semi-confident in getting in somewhere? Or would it be better to just study a lot and retake the mcat? I'm hesitant of the latter option due to the fact that I could improve my application in more areas than one with this kind of program, while retaking my mcat would just solely be improving my mcat.

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate anyone who can give me insight.

Hey doodle sack! I think this program would give you a great shot next cycle. Looks like your GPA needs a boost over your MCAT, and you can always retake it after going through the coursework. ECs look solid but that GPA will keep you out of interviews.

Hey guys,

I have a 3.6 gpa and 498 MCAT.And I'm interested in the B.U. MAMS program.I plan to retake the MCAT next spring and I was curious as to whether or not i could get an acceptance to BU? Or any other programs? My low MCAT score is the only thing hindering me.Thanks!

Hey guys,

I have a 3.6 gpa and 498 MCAT.And I'm interested in the B.U. MAMS program.I plan to retake the MCAT next spring and I was curious as to whether or not i could get an acceptance to BU? Or any other programs? My low MCAT score is the only thing hindering me.Thanks!

What's your sGPA? If it's not too low, you're borderline for being accepted without an SMP. I would personally study my butt off and retake the mcat and then try my hand at applying before considering an SMP for a variety of reasons - they're very expensive, it's very difficult to get 3.6+ in them thus they may hurt you rather than help, and because there's no reason to rush the app process

This is all especially the case if you're okay with DO, where you'd be quite competitive as is. You may want to post in the 'what are my chances' subforum and include that you're open to SMP if need be so an adcom member can give you more guidance

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If anyone is still looking for housing, let me know! A friend and I are looking to move into a Mission Hill Aparament for 700 a person (4BR). PM me!

Hello everyone! My name is TJ and I just finished my first year as a MAMS student at BU. I'll gladly field any questions regarding the program, the area, etc. to the best of my ability.

Hope I can help!

I understand there's no true linkage per se to BUSM, but can any alumni comment on the average profile (GPA/MCAT) of MAMS students who have been accepted to BUSM? Does MAMS performance seem to be the major factor in admission?

Hi ss1219,

I think you have the correct interpretation of the "linkage" between the BU MAMS program and BUSM, but for the sake of clarity I'll shed some light from the information I have accrued as a student. While I cannot provide an average profile of MAMS students who go on to continue their medical pursuit at BUSM, I can say that BU MAMS students are considered in a completely separate admissions pool as opposed to the plethora of other applicants not affiliated with the program. That being said, an average of 20-30 students end up matriculating at BUSM the following year (not including potential other MAMS students who elected to attend medical school elsewhere or were granted interviews). It would be a safe assumption to say that those students performed exceptionally well in both MAMS and their MCAT (I don't have an exact number, but you'd want to do your best regardless). That isn't to say, however, that a 4.0 and a 520 will guarantee acceptance. It wouldn't hurt. There is much that goes into the BUSM admissions process that goes beyond the scope of grades like extracurriculars, research, etc.

So although there isn't a direct correlation, nearly every MAMS student who matriculates into BUSM after MAMS is one who performed well in the program. Again, I would stress that this isn't the sole reason for acceptance, but doing well in a prestigious program of this caliber (ones that mimic the classes you would hypothetically be taking as an M1) can only help your application.

Hope this helps!

What's your sGPA? If it's not too low, you're borderline for being accepted without an SMP. I would personally study my butt off and retake the mcat and then try my hand at applying before considering an SMP for a variety of reasons - they're very expensive, it's very difficult to get 3.6+ in them thus they may hurt you rather than help, and because there's no reason to rush the app process

This is all especially the case if you're okay with DO, where you'd be quite competitive as is. You may want to post in the 'what are my chances' subforum and include that you're open to SMP if need be so an adcom member can give you more guidance

Hey guys,

Hi fara2314,

A competitive applicant usually has a GPA within the range of 3.3-3.4 and an >507 MCAT with solid ECs. While your GPA is well within range for competitive entry, your MCAT can use some work. This doesn't mean that acceptance into the program is impossible, however, as it is structured to help improve both your GPA and your overall MCAT performance (there is much overlap in the biology section of the MCAT). User ss1219 makes valid points about the expenses and no need to rush the process. It is ultimately up to your discretion and timeline as to whether you would want to apply and I would advise consulting a premedical advisor. In regards to BU MAMS, however, it wouldn't hurt!

Hope this helps.

Hey everyone,

Hi doodlesack,

Having just finished my first year of the program, I'd say this program would be a solid fit for someone with your credentials. Doing well in this program will boost your GPA, but should also help improve your MCAT score. With an already robust activities resume and an improved GPA and MCAT, your application will only be that much stronger.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi ss1219,

I think you have the correct interpretation of the "linkage" between the BU MAMS program and BUSM, but for the sake of clarity I'll shed some light from the information I have accrued as a student. While I cannot provide an average profile of MAMS students who go on to continue their medical pursuit at BUSM, I can say that BU MAMS students are considered in a completely separate admissions pool as opposed to the plethora of other applicants not affiliated with the program. That being said, an average of 20-30 students end up matriculating at BUSM the following year (not including potential other MAMS students who elected to attend medical school elsewhere or were granted interviews). It would be a safe assumption to say that those students performed exceptionally well in both MAMS and their MCAT (I don't have an exact number, but you'd want to do your best regardless). That isn't to say, however, that a 4.0 and a 520 will guarantee acceptance. It wouldn't hurt. There is much that goes into the BUSM admissions process that goes beyond the scope of grades like extracurriculars, research, etc.

So although there isn't a direct correlation, nearly every MAMS student who matriculates into BUSM after MAMS is one who performed well in the program. Again, I would stress that this isn't the sole reason for acceptance, but doing well in a prestigious program of this caliber (ones that mimic the classes you would hypothetically be taking as an M1) can only help your application.

Hope this helps!

Hey there,

I read over at the BU 2016-2017 application thread that the medical school will not be offering as many spots for next year since too many people accepted their offer this year. BU is offering scholarships to the accepted students so that they can hold off on matriculating for a year, and thus, there will be less spots for those of us applying this year (to make room for those deferring). Do you know what this means for the MAMS students? Will the acceptance pool for non-MAMS students be smaller, or will the MAMS student pile be cut as well? Thanks :)

Hey there,

I read over at the BU 2016-2017 application thread that the medical school will not be offering as many spots for next year since too many people accepted their offer this year. BU is offering scholarships to the accepted students so that they can hold off on matriculating for a year, and thus, there will be less spots for those of us applying this year (to make room for those deferring). Do you know what this means for the MAMS students? Will the acceptance pool for non-MAMS students be smaller, or will the MAMS student pile be cut as well? Thanks :)

Sounds frustrating if true. The benefit for interviewing at BUSOM only really takes effect if you apply after a full year of MAMS though, so I would assume your chances for interviewing there if applying during the year of MAMS (aka now) would just go from 'low' to 'very low'. I wouldn't really bank on an interview during the program since so few people seem to get it, so thankfully this wouldn't affect the majority of us who will be applying after MAMS ends for entry in fall '18.

Hey there,

Hi vanillacheesecake,

I unfortunately cannot provide a direct answer to that question as I have no link to BUSM admissions. To the best of my understanding, BUSM has an idea of the amount of total students they will matriculate and MAMS students are just viewed in a separate pool from other applicants. There is no guarantee that X amount of students will always be taken from MAMS, regardless of whether the admissions committee "accepted too many people." Again, I apologize but this is beyond the scope of my understanding.

Any alumni know if GMS gives a pathway/separate pooling for MD/PhD at BUSOM as well? @BUMAMS2015.6

Hi sss1219,

I don't have a definite answer for that, but I'm sure that's something you can email/ask Dr. Offner about. I would imagine being a prolific MAMS student could only strengthen your chances, but as for a separate consideration, I'm unfortunately unaware. Sorry!

do adcom outright reject unqualified applicants? Or, do they wait until the very end (i.e. until all seats are filled)? I was marked complete in early June and have yet to hear a decision. @BUMAMS2015.6

Last edited:
do adcom outright reject unqualified applicants? Or, do they wait until the very end (i.e. until all seats are filled)? I was marked complete in early June and have yet to hear a decision. @BUMAMS2015.6

A couple people on earlier pages said they were rejected, I would email them and ask what the wait up is due to

Hey guys,

Currently looking for housing. Let me know if you/anyone needs a roommate!

Hi DoctrDoom,

I know that not everyone who applies gets accepted, but unless you received an outright "rejection," I wouldn't rule you out just yet. The best line of action would be to email the administration and inquire about the hold up.

Good luck!

Hi! Does anyone know if the class is full? Prob too late to apply...

Hi hemoglobina1c,

Although it is rolling admissions, it is already mid-July and to the best of my knowledge, only a few seats remain while there are still some people waiting for decisions to be made about their earlier submissions. With that said, it's not impossible. Just realize seats are quickly filling up and orientation will be in about a month. Best of luck!

Hi guys,

I was just accepted off of waitlist. I would defintiely want to attend this program, but I have one problem with my situation.
I already told another program that I will attend there and have already got apartments and everything. The two programs are BU MAMS and CWRU MS in Medical Physiology.

So, I just have one question. Why did you guys decide to join the BU MAMS program instead of other numerous SMPs?

Hi guys,

I was just accepted off of waitlist. I would defintiely want to attend this program, but I have one problem with my situation.
I already told another program that I will attend there and have already got apartments and everything. The two programs are BU MAMS and CWRU MS in Medical Physiology.

So, I just have one question. Why did you guys decide to join the BU MAMS program instead of other numerous SMPs?

For me it was the overwhelming positivity from past alumni I saw while reading through the last couple years' worth of app threads. No other program I was considering had that much praise coming from alumni (I think I only saw one negative post about this program).

That being said, I don't think much will be different if you go to either school. If you look at alumni lists from previous years of various different SMPs, it's pretty evident that there are a select number of schools that take a chance on us redemption students, such as Albany, FIU, UMiami, UIC, Wake Forest, Tulane, VCU, Drexel - the list goes on but I'll stop there. Because of this, assuming you do well in whichever program you go to, I think the the schools you will end up being advised to apply to (and especially those of which you will be a contender for) will roughly be the same. So I don't think you can wrong with either program - the long term outcome will likely be the same for both.

For me it was the overwhelming positivity from past alumni I saw while reading through the last couple years' worth of app threads. No other program I was considering had that much praise coming from alumni (I think I only saw one negative post about this program).

That being said, I don't think much will be different if you go to either school. If you look at alumni lists from previous years of various different SMPs, it's pretty evident that there are a select number of schools that take a chance on us redemption students, such as Albany, FIU, UMiami, UIC, Wake Forest, Tulane, VCU, Drexel - the list goes on but I'll stop there. Because of this, assuming you do well in whichever program you go to, I think the the schools you will end up being advised to apply to (and especially those of which you will be a contender for) will roughly be the same. So I don't think you can wrong with either program - the long term outcome will likely be the same for both.

Thanks for your insight. If I was given a choice in May, I would have went with BU, but its just a tough decision with the decision letter being so late. Yeah, it is a very hard decision.
I hope the program helps you out in getting into medical school.

Also, do you really pay $2,014 for your health insurance?

Thanks for your insight. If I was given a choice in May, I would have went with BU, but its just a tough decision with the decision letter being so late. Yeah, it is a very hard decision.
I hope the program helps you out in getting into medical school.

Also, do you really pay $2,014 for your health insurance?

It can be waived

I just got a reply back from Lynese, and I was told that all decisions will be out over the next 3.5 weeks. So for those who have not heard back yet, there may still be a chance!

Hey guys I'm a second year MAMS student trying to sell an Ikea twin bed. Please let me know if you guys are interested. I will sell everything for $250 for MAMS students. Everything is in like new condition and includes everything you need for a bed except for a pillow.
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/fuo/5704083579.html

I also have the complete set of The Princeton Review and ExamKrackers MCAT books if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Make sure y'all get your immunization records in + your med insurance waived!

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone still looking for a roommate? I have a lease signed for an apartment on 11 Newcomb St (a 7 minute walk from campus), which has W/D in the apartment, parking on site, 1BR/2BD. Its newly renovated and is 1425/mo - I'm looking for a roommate! preferably female. PM me if interested!

Hello! I was just accepted into this program today. I wanted to post some background and see if I can get some feedback on my situation and hopefully receive advice from you all.

I have taken the MCAT twice - 29 & 507
My BCPM GPA is 3.6 with a total GPA of 3.7

I have decent extra curricular activities and research experience

I applied this past cycle and received 3 interviews - 3 waitlists - but 0 acceptances

I am deciding whether to come to the MAMS program or retake the MCAT. Any advice?

Also can anyone fill me in on the success of MAMS students' applications to medical school following their completion of this program? Are there statistics that say what % of students matriculate for example in the last 5 years?

Advice on either of these questions would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks

Hello! I was just accepted into this program today. I wanted to post some background and see if I can get some feedback on my situation and hopefully receive advice from you all.

I applied this past cycle and received 3 interviews - 3 waitlists - but 0 acceptances

I am deciding whether to come to the MAMS program or retake the MCAT. Any advice?

Also can anyone fill me in on the success of MAMS students' applications to medical school following their completion of this program? Are there statistics that say what % of students matriculate for example in the last 5 years?

Thanks

% matriculants is very high. Although, I would recommend an MCAT retake over an SMP - your GPA is competitive as is and getting anything above a 3.7 is incredibly difficult in an SMP. Chances are you may end up getting a lower GPA than your undergraduate one, which may hurt you rather than help.

Also 3 interviews is pretty good as is, so besides your lower MCAT, you may want to evaluate your interviewing skills.

Best of luck

Thanks
Hello BuckNaked,

As user sss1219 stated, the % matriculation is very successful. Unfortunately, I don't have an exact number but as a rule of measure, about 20-30 MAMS students matriculate into BUSM after graduating from the program. This doesn't include the plethora of other medical school acceptances among the student body. The statistics for those who matriculate might not be wholly representative as some students choose not to apply at all. In terms of your specific situation, I would advise to you to retake your MCAT whether or not you decide to follow through with MAMS. While your score isn't poor by any means, a better score can only help your application and might be the extra push to get you over that hump. The rest of your profile sounds great, and MAMS can only help. Ultimately, it is up to your own timeline and budget. I would advise you to consult an undergraduate advisor, as well as maybe speaking with the MAMS administration to get a better scope of what is best for you.

Good luck!

Hi all, I got accepted Monday and have until tomorrow to make a descion on whether or not to attend BU MAMS. My stats are 3.95 GPA (3.91 sGPA), 25 and 499 MCAT (messed up on verbal 1st time so on retake focused on that and brought up my CARS scored a lot to a 126 or approx. 9 on old MCAT). I have been an EMT for over 3 years and had a research internship lined up in case I did not get accepted to the program. Played a college sport as well as other EC's. I applied to med school last cycle but didn't get in. I applied very late, submitted primary in August and secondaries from September to December. Thoughts on whether or not I should attend MAMS help get me over the hump into med school.

Thank you

Hi all, I got accepted Monday and have until tomorrow to make a descion on whether or not to attend BU MAMS. My stats are 3.95 GPA (3.91 sGPA), 25 and 499 MCAT (messed up on verbal 1st time so on retake focused on that and brought up my CARS scored a lot to a 126 or approx. 9 on old MCAT). I have been an EMT for over 3 years and had a research internship lined up in case I did not get accepted to the program. Played a college sport as well as other EC's. I applied to med school last cycle but didn't get in. I applied very late, submitted primary in August and secondaries from September to December. Thoughts on whether or not I should attend MAMS help get me over the hump into med school.

Thank you

The above post applies to you as well - unless one of your major deficits is GPA (which it very clearly is not), I would not advise an SMP since it is more likely you'll get a lower GPA than your undergraduate one with the courses being so difficult, which can hurt rather than help.

You need to consider an MCAT retake, but given that your score stayed the same, chances are statistically not quite in your favor for improvement. But, while your MCAT is too low for most MDs, you may be attractive to some state schools depending on your residency. You are probably competitive for quite a few DOs though, so hopefully you are open to that route.

What you should do is post on the 'what are my chances' sub-forum and include that you are debating your current admission to an SMP as well as whether you are open to or against the DO route. Then, tag some of the more knowledgeable forum members (goro, gyngyn, etc.) and see what they have to say. They'd probably give the best advice for your case.

Good luck!

The above post applies to you as well - unless one of your major deficits is GPA (which it very clearly is not), I would not advise an SMP since it is more likely you'll get a lower GPA than your undergraduate one with the courses being so difficult, which can hurt rather than help.

You need to consider an MCAT retake, but given that your score stayed the same, chances are statistically not quite in your favor for improvement. But, while your MCAT is too low for most MDs, you may be attractive to some state schools depending on your residency. You are probably competitive for quite a few DOs though, so hopefully you are open to that route.

What you should do is post on the 'what are my chances' sub-forum and include that you are debating your current admission to an SMP as well as whether you are open to or against the DO route. Then, tag some of the more knowledgeable forum members (goro, gyngyn, etc.) and see what they have to say. They'd probably give the best advice for your case.

Good luck!
Thank you for your advice, one reason I was thinking about MAMS was because people I talked too said that almost all of the students that retake the MCAT after their first year do astronomically better and you find out pretty quick if you are able to handle the med school work load as well as showing med schools that you can handle it. The reason my MCAT scores stayed the same had more to do with the circumstances surround each of my takes and the fact that I realistically was not able to devote enought time and prep to the test. I won't make that mistake again and I definitely do much better with tests and studying when in a very structured system. Also with the courses being taught by the med school faculty I was told its a great way to make some very helpful connections and that are almost given a hard line to the adcom and its members.

P.S. why are people saying its so hard to do well in the MAMS classes when speaking with current med students they all pretty much said that the hardest part was getting in and the classes are not terrible especially since you are studying something your interested in?

I emailed Dr. Offner about my issue today so I'm still waiting for a response from her but for anyone that has completed the program and took/retook their MCAT after they finished the program, did you realize a significant improvement? When I spoke to my pre-med advisor this past semester, she recommended for me to take my MCAT after the program but I'm afraid that I'll forget anything Physics or P/S related. I'm registered for the August 20th date and I'm not sure if I should post-pone or not!

Thank you for your advice, one reason I was thinking about MAMS was because people I talked too said that almost all of the students that retake the MCAT after their first year do astronomically better and you find out pretty quick if you are able to handle the med school work load as well as showing med schools that you can handle it. The reason my MCAT scores stayed the same had more to do with the circumstances surround each of my takes and the fact that I realistically was not able to devote enought time and prep to the test. I won't make that mistake again and I definitely do much better with tests and studying when in a very structured system. Also with the courses being taught by the med school faculty I was told its a great way to make some very helpful connections and that are almost given a hard line to the adcom and its members.

P.S. why are people saying its so hard to do well in the MAMS classes when speaking with current med students they all pretty much said that the hardest part was getting in and the classes are not terrible especially since you are studying something your interested in?

If you can improve your score then put your mind to it and go for it! That's your major deficit by far so it's a good thing you have the confidence

SMPs are generally thought of as 'make or break' programs, and it's easy to get yourself caught up in the 'make' part. Don't underestimate the fact that EVERY other individual has that same idea of thinking this is easy and getting into BUSM in their minds! When you consider that only around ~15% of the class get A's and that a 3.7+ seems to be what is required to get into BUSM, it's easier said than done

I can understand your thoughts on this, but given the above, I highly recommend you go into this program accepting of the fact that you are likely going to end up at a med school that is not BU if you do commit. I don't doubt your ability, it's just too difficult a thing to be certain of.

(@cwx216) Yup, most people do see a large improvement assuming they use the second year of MAMS to review material. But that also begs the question of whether paying $50k+ for this is worth it. For us redemption students with low GPAs this is worth it because we have few other options for getting into med school. For those of you with high GPAs, it'd probably be better to spend $5k or whatever it costs on a Kaplan or Berkeley Review testing set and really put your effort into improving your MCAT. You'll likely see a more significant improvement this way given you'll be studying the real test subject matter rather than just relying on knowledge you gained from MAMS, which is only partially relevant to the MCAT.

Up to you in the end. I think most people would say to spend the money on real testing material, but if you feel an MS degree is what you need then by all means. Personally, I would say that getting adcom connections and furthering your knowledge in the MCAT biochem and biology through MAMS is not worth it for your case, but it's up to you to decide. Just realize that with your GPA, the only thing holding you back is the MCAT - if you put your mind to it and get that coveted 32+, you won't even need adcom connections to get admission assuming the rest of your application is sound.

I emailed Dr. Offner about my issue today so I'm still waiting for a response from her but for anyone that has completed the program and took/retook their MCAT after they finished the program, did you realize a significant improvement? When I spoke to my pre-med advisor this past semester, she recommended for me to take my MCAT after the program but I'm afraid that I'll forget anything Physics or P/S related. I'm registered for the August 20th date and I'm not sure if I should post-pone or not!

I tagged you in the other advice post as well, but just for some more specific info - I've spoken to a number of alumni on sdn who retook the MCAT (usually sometime in the summer right after classes end), and all of them saw significant improvement. Every person I talked to got at least a 31+, and many of them as high as 33-34. From what it seemed, this was due to a combination of actually learning how to study properly consequent of the rigorous demands of the MAMS courses and by re-studying testing material during the break/start of the thesis year. Most people submitted their new scores in as updates from what it seemed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you can improve your score then put your mind to it and go for it! That's your major deficit by far so it's a good thing you have the confidence

SMPs are generally thought of as 'make or break' programs, and it's easy to get yourself caught up in the 'make' part. Don't underestimate the fact that EVERY other individual has that same idea of thinking this is easy and getting into BUSM in their minds! When you consider that only around ~15% of the class get A's and that a 3.7+ seems to be what is required to get into BUSM, it's easier said than done

I can understand your thoughts on this, but given the above, I highly recommend you go into this program accepting of the fact that you are likely going to end up at a med school that is not BU if you do commit. I don't doubt your ability, it's just too difficult a thing to be certain of.

(@cwx216) Yup, most people do see a large improvement assuming they use the second year of MAMS to review material. But that also begs the question of whether paying $50k+ for this is worth it. For us redemption students with low GPAs this is worth it because we have few other options for getting into med school. For those of you with high GPAs, it'd probably be better to spend $5k or whatever it costs on a Kaplan or Berkeley Review testing set and really put your effort into improving your MCAT. You'll likely see a more significant improvement this way given you'll be studying the real test subject matter rather than just relying on knowledge you gained from MAMS, which is only partially relevant to the MCAT.

Up to you in the end. I think most people would say to spend the money on real testing material, but if you feel an MS degree is what you need then by all means. Personally, I would say that getting adcom connections and furthering your knowledge in the MCAT biochem and biology through MAMS is not worth it for your case, but it's up to you to decide. Just realize that with your GPA, the only thing holding you back is the MCAT - if you put your mind to it and get that coveted 32+, you won't even need adcom connections to get admission assuming the rest of your application is sound.

I don't have my heart set on BUSM, I would definitely go there if accepted but I really just want to go to a good med school, I don't really care where it is. But I am a bit concerned with the "make it or break it" theme. But why is everyone seeming to go crazy over how hard it is. I understand that it is difficult but why then do medical school students that I have talked to say the classes aren't terrible as long as you study and prepare and they aren't too bad because you are studying something your interested in?

I don't have my heart set on BUSM, I would definitely go there if accepted but I really just want to go to a good med school, I don't really care where it is. But I am a bit concerned with the "make it or break it" theme. But why is everyone seeming to go crazy over how hard it is. I understand that it is difficult but why then do medical school students that I have talked to say the classes aren't terrible as long as you study and prepare and they aren't too bad because you are studying something your interested in?

Basically, an SMP is seen as a 'last resort' for redemption students (e.g. students with extremely low GPAs). You're paying up the wazoo to get a chance to overshadow this red flag which would be otherwise hard to fix via years of post-bacc. The general understanding is that if you can do well (this is very subjective but I would say probably a 3.4+), you have a significantly higher chance of getting into a school, even with an abysmal undergraduate GPA. If you do not do well enough (again, very subjective but let's just assume lower than a 3.3 or so) then getting into med schools becomes VERY difficult. Let's not ignore that there have been alumni with even lower GPAs than this that have gotten into med schools, but they very likely had a decent (3.4/3.5) undergraduate GPA or incredibly high MCAT that also pulled some weight. Other people who do not have this higher undergraduate GPA (I'm talking your 3.0s-3.2s) and have average MCAT scores are effectively killing off their chances for medical school admission if they get a low SMP GPA, especially if they do not have any other redeeming qualities in their apps that would make them an attractive candidate. Thus the 'make or break' idea - this program was literally created to show how you fare with the rigors of med school, and if you are not up to par, no school is going to take you.

But, these numbers vary by SMP. Take Georgetown, for example, which has you competing with medical students that are literally sitting next to you. They average GPA in that sort of program is going to be low because of the sheer number of students in a single class (400+) competing for that top 15% for an A. Because of that, there are abundant alumni from that program that get 3.3's and 3.4's but still get admissions into an MD school (usually a lower or newer one, but still an MD). This is because adcoms know how hard these programs are and how much emphasis they should place on your SMP GPA. So if you pull a 4.0 from BU MAMS or Gtown SMP, which are considered some of the harder programs, they'll probably think 'holy crap this guy is very very smart' and your chances of interviewing at even top programs go up substantially. This is why you see people on the MAMS alumni list going to schools like Yale, Mt Sinai, Columbia, UCLA, etc. But, consider that these are probably the same individuals that are part of the group of people who get into BU - they are the top of the class, and while most MAMS people get interviewed, only a few of them get accepted and this will largely come down to MAMS GPA.

Thus, you need to consider which alumni/current medical students you talked to. If the alumni you spoke to thought it was easy, then they probably killed the program and are at a high(er) school. You can't ignore that there are 180 (180!) students in this program. Not all of them are going to be like these people. Thus, while a small majority might think the program is easy, this is (very, very very,) likely not the case. It's hard, it's just that those people you spoke to are all very smart :)

And the whole 'you are interested in this topic' thing does hold true, but is caveated. If you enjoy what you are studying, you are more likely to commit yourself to it, and thus will likely get a higher overall result. But, remember that this is the case for everyone in the room, all 180 students. ALL of them love science, ALL of them want to be doctors, thus ALL of them will be studying like crazy, just as you would. Gaining admission into these SMP programs, especially more respected one like BU, is not a walk in the park - the people that are admitted have shown promise in one way or another, thus it's best not to overlook this. This is why the idea of 'I like this material thus I will do well' only holds true to an extent - even if this is supposedly one of the least internally competitive programs according to many alumni, you are still competing with the person next to you. And they are JUST like you!

All of this considered, my major thought process if I were in your shoes would be this: why would I want to deal with this if I didn't have to? My GPA is phenomenal, thus I don't really need an SMP in the first place. My MCAT is the issue, and I honestly love the testing material, so why not just study that? Honestly, if you said no to the program and took the MCAT at the time you would have taken it if you had committed to the program (let's say June 2017), that's almost a year dedicated to the MCAT, and you'd probably get a very good score if you could keep your work ethic in tact with that much time. Also, you could commit some of that time to shadowing every now and then, working in research, or whatever - all things that you will realistically have severely limited opportunities for in the first year of MAMS during your coursework.

But again, this is just what I would do if I were in your shoes. I don't want to discourage you from enrolling in BU MAMS because it seems like a blast tbh. It's just that I don't think you'd get as much benefit as us redemption students would, thus you should think quite long and hard about what you want to do, and what would be best to do. It's a very expensive program, so make sure you weigh all the costs and benefits before you decide.

Last edited:

Hello Rivsuace,

So sorry for the late reply. Just to clear things up... The MAMS program is definitely not a walk in the park, but rather a rigorous commitment that will be a testament to how you will fare in any medical school. In terms of "make it or break it," neither doing well or failing in MAMS will solely determine your future and chances of matriculation. The program was created under the intent that by mimicking the coarse load and material covered in the first year of medical school, medical institutions can have a better picture of how you've grown as a student despite a weaker undergraduate performance. I would caution to say that the program is easy, IT IS NOT. I would also caution to say that is is very very hard. Instead, as cliche as it may sound, you get what you put into the program. There is no curve and so there IS NO COMPETITION. If you put in the work, results will follow. If everyone gets a 95, everyone gets an A. You are not graded against your peers, and so the only thing preventing you from succeeding is your OWN effort.

In terms of your specific situation, it seems that the MCAT score is the key factor in holding you back. With a 3.95, doing well in MAMS will only prove to medical admissions teams what they already know, that you are a fine student and can handle the rigor. I agree with sss1219 that it might be better for you to instead focus that same energy and focus on studying for he MCAT and maybe working/doing research on the side to further strengthen the WEAKER parts of your application, and not just reemphasize your strengths. Again, sorry for the lateness, I hope this helps!

P.S. Your MAMS GPA is definitely VERY VERY important and is the only thing you should be focused on during your first year, especially during your first semester. Many MAMS students do get interviews, and many do continue into med school. This IS NOT solely dependent on their MAMS GPAs, however. A better GPA can only help and Dr. Witzburg will tell you himself that BU, like many other medical institutions, have a more wholistic lens in determining acceptances. There are students who are at the top of the class, but still need to reapply because of other gaps in their application. Just keep that in mind. Best of luck!

Does anybody know the final date in which I can expect to be accepted or rejected into BUSM ? My application was verified on June 14. It would be ideal to start mentally preparing for which program I am going to dedicate myself to. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Farmaka,

There are some students who decide to pursue a PhD. Some prefer the MD/PhD route. To put things in perspective, his past year a MAMS student received MD/PhD offers from BU, UMass, and I believe Albert Einstein. Most don't decide to go this route, but it's totally within grasp. Good luck and congrats!

Kanjee,

It's hard to tell because of rolling admissions. I do know that orientation will be Sep 2nd, so you should definitely get a response before then. I'd advise to keep in close contact with the admissions team as that date is rapidly approaching. Best of luck!

Farmaka,

There are some students who decide to pursue a PhD. Some prefer the MD/PhD route. To put things in perspective, his past year a MAMS student received MD/PhD offers from BU, UMass, and I believe Albert Einstein. Most don't decide to go this route, but it's totally within grasp. Good luck and congrats!

Were his stats (before SMP) already killer for MD? I can't imagine how an average SMP student like myself (3.5/3.3) can get into an MD/PhD even if I come out with a 4.0 at BU... or is MD/PhD feasible for anyone if they perform well at BU? I've always been interested in a MD/PhD but never did well enough on the MD part lol.. Thanks!