This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Vanillacheesecake,

His stats before SMP is something I don't know, but I do know that his performance in MAMS was rather exceptional. So yes, if you put in the hard work, MD/PhD is definitely feasible. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

What were some of the essay questions?
How long were the application process?
Just wanted to get a head start on my application process.
Thanks in advance!

What were some of the essay questions?
How long were the application process?
Just wanted to get a head start on my application process.
Thanks in advance!
Hey there! I was in the same position as you last year - I knew in the summer that I wanted to apply. They don't start reviewing applications until early January, but I think the application opens sometime in November/December.

The only essay is basically your personal statement for medical school. The other parts of your application are the basics - CV/resume, transcript, letters of recommendation. For now, I would say focus on writing your personal statement and securing 3 letters of recommendation. If you haven't taken the MCAT yet, maybe take the GRE this fall. Don't feel like you have to rush and take the MCAT just to apply to this program. I took the GRE in October, had everything in by mid-December, and got my acceptance in early January! It's my understanding that its better to apply early, so I think that worked in my favor.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
is it too early to submit an application for fall 2017 entry?

Anyone get in without MCAT?
Gre perhaps?

I didn't hit the required percentage of GRE, and no MCAT.
Does this disqualify me as an applicant?

Gre perhaps?

You don't need an MCAT to apply, but the subpar GRE score might be a problem. They look at your app holistically so a decent GPA can help you out.

I applied with my GRE score and I don't remember my exact score but my verbal was under what they required.
Gre perhaps?

Gre perhaps?

Hey there,

MAMS accepts both the GRE and MCAT without a preference for either. The percentages are just rough standards that aren't set in stone because the admissions committee takes on a more holistic evaluation of each applicant. I, for example, took the GRE upon entry while many of my other friends I met in the program used an MCAT score. If the rest of your application is solid, you shouldn't be too concerned about not attaining the suggested percentage. If it really is a looming issue on your conscience, however, maybe consider retaking? Hope this helps!

One of the best things about BU MAMS….

Hello all!

I understand how difficult and stressful a decision it is to commit to a master’s program and so I would like to share my experience at BU MAMS and why it has been such a positive influence in my pursuit for a career in medicine.

Having attended BU undergrad as a science major, I was well acquainted with the ideas of curved grades and grade deflation as my GPA had initially fell victim to this cutthroat standard. I was able to somewhat salvage my grades as a senior, but still needed to improve my academic resume before applying to medical school. I took some time off after undergrad to really get my life in order. I worked a 9-5 job, shadowed, volunteered, and even devoted some time to research in a dermatology lab back home. All the while, I kept in close contact with peers on a similar path and premed advisors who constantly offered advice on how to manage my next steps toward a future in medicine. I came to the conclusion of applying to the BU MAMS program, among others, and finally committing to BU that ensuing fall semester.

Choosing to attend BU MAMS has proven to be one of the most rewarding experiences of my life to date. It starts with the welcoming atmosphere that starkly contrasted the competitive nature of undergrad. MAMS has created and continues to nurture a collegial and supportive atmosphere where current students, past students, advisors, and professors are all willing and happy to help one another adjust and excel. Because BU MAMS does not grade on a scale, whatever grade a student receives is unaffected by the grades of any other student and therefore dispels any notions of that toxic competitive mentality. Instead, the MAMS program has established an academic environment that promotes asking questions, group work, and overall communal success. These connections don’t just exist while you are currently enrolled as they extend well beyond your years in MAMS. Several past students who have proceeded to thrive in their medical dreams continue to give back and work with current students and the MAMS administration in an effort to always grow and progress. From specific class advice, to more objective inputs on how to manage stress and the med school application process, and maybe even to potential prospects in research labs and the like, the collective MAMS community offers so many invaluable lessons and opportunities that I can never thank them enough for. My time at MAMS has not only helped me improve my grades and made me a more confident applicant for medical school, it has not just proven that I am capable and taught me so much about myself in the process, but it has provided me with many lasting bonds and a sense of belonging to a community that strives to be better together.

I hope this helps and wish all of you the best of luck in your decision-making and future endeavors!

P.S. If you guys have any specific questions about the program, please don't hesitate to communicate with the Program Director, Dr. Offner or check out the BU MAMS facebook page @ www.facebook.com/bumams/

Hi Mike, do you know if a student who has a good GRE scores has equal chances to get into the MAMS than a student who took the MCAT?

Hey everyone, I wanted to post on my experience in MAMS as I know it is coming to that time of year where people start to look at these type of programs to bolster their medical school applications. I am currently a first year medical student at BU and the only reason why I am here is because of the MAMS program.

To start, I went to a small liberal arts school for undergrad and finished with a GPA below 3.5. I wanted to go to medical school so I decided to look into programs that could help me improve upon my application. I applied to the MAMS program and got in and I also decided to take the MCAT before I entered. I ended up entering into MAMS with an MCAT below 30.

Right from the start of the program the faculty and second year MAMS students were incredibly supportive. During the first semester everyone in the class took Biochemistry, a Histology course, and a physiology course. These courses contained a great amount of material, but they were fun to take because they were all clinically based and most of the information taught in these courses was also taught to the first years. Therefore, I knew if I could do well in these courses, I would be able to perform well in medical school.

In order to succeed in these courses I had to change my study habits. I was able to do this with the help of second year MAMS students, faculty and my advisor. The second year students provided study tips for each of the courses, which I was able to try out and see what worked best. Also, the atmosphere at MAMS was very collaborative as the teaching faculty encouraged group studying and also stayed after class to answer any questions on the material. This exceeded my expectations, as I came in thinking that it would be pretty cut throat and competitive. Instead, the attitude of the class was that we're all in this together, which is something I really liked. This atmosphere helped me succeed in both of the semesters.

During that summer, I studied for MCAT and took it in June and also applied for medical school. The MCAT was an easier test after the first year of MAMS because the way I studied had changed and MAMS also helped me become a better multiple choice test taker. I was able to improve my score, and all of my friends who took it after MAMS improved their scores as well.

In the second year of MAMS I was able to take part in a few activities that were incredibly rewarding. First, I was able to TA and tutor courses for the first year MAMS students. This was amazing, as I was able to help teach the material that I learned in the previous year and discovered that I really enjoy teaching. Second, I was able to conduct research at BUSM in a biochemistry lab. I did not have any lab experience before MAMS and this allowed me to gain a year's worth of research experience. During this time I learned a great deal and also had a great research advisor who helped me along the way. During the second year, I also interviewed for medical schools. Many of my friends from MAMS had multiple interviews and acceptances that year. I was hoping that I would get into BU because my experience in MAMS program made me really like the school and faculty and once I got in I accepted the spot right away.

This year at BUSM has been great. My friends from MAMS and I are always well above average when it comes to test scores among the first years and I learned that this is a common occurrence with MAMS students. This is because we are very well prepared for the workload in medical school and we all have developed study habits that allow us to be efficient and perform well on tests. Additionally, I studied and also taught some of the material that is taught in the first year of medical school, so some of it is a review rather than new material. Lastly, at BU, many of the faculty who taught me in MAMS also teach the medical students, which was a huge selling point for me because of how helpful they were in MAMS.

Overall, MAMS is a great program that helped me get into medical school. After undergraduate I wasn't sure that I would be able to accomplish this, but after the first year of MAMS I was much more confident in my abilities. One thing about MAMS is that you get what you put in. If you come into MAMS and decide that you do not want to work hard and that you do not want to buy into the system and never see your advisor or other faculty then your experience may be more negative. MAMS provides you with all the tools to accomplish your goal, but you have to utilize them. That being said, if you are willing to do the work and have a strong desire to go to medical school, MAMS is great program that can help you accomplish this goal and I recommend checking it out.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to message me. I am happy to answer.