Boston University Medical Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Very straight forward presentation by PD, which I appreciated.

+s=VAs, surgery, autonomy, Boston
-s=frustration of VA/poor pts (no english), old facilities (but adequate), Boston

residents seemed pretty happy, 2-3 faculty in each sub-specialty

program seemed to be static/mild declining...no good future plans for renovations/program improvements

seemed like a decent mid tier program

Clinically very strong, numbers are high 100s to low 200s, but Ive heard that might come down a little (though I think it will still remain very high). Lots of trauma call, but not too many open globes (which tend to find their way to MEEI). Nice faculty. Boston is a great city. New chair and program director are both very nice. Chair seems ambitious, and wants great things for the department, but I think his hands a tied because of financial issues from BMC. They are building new clinics and a conference center though which should be nice. They have 2 EYESi sims at the VA which I assume they share with MEEI who also rotates there. I don't think there is a wet lab, just a 'dry lab' which I assume is the EYESi. Faculty may not be well-known yet but there are a lot of young, active faculty who trained at big name places (MEEI, Wills, Wilmer, many did fellowships at BPEI), and some are doing nice research now (including the first avastin vs lucentis test), so maybe in a little while they will have bigger academic names. Regardless, they probably will have good connections to those places they trained at. They do decently for fellowships. Recently there have been people going to Neuro-plastics at tufts, BP for cornea, Utah for glaucoma, MEEI for retina, etc so pretty good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would any residents mind sharing their thoughts on BU in the last few years? I understand the program has gone through some changes (including new facilities) and was wondering how things turned out. Thanks!

Just wanted to bump this thread in the hopes of soliciting some input. Thanks!