Program-Specific Info / Q's Boston University OTD 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KateRhae

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Hoping that people who applied to BU for this cycle will post their stats and interview dates!

Also students who currently attend...any advice on the interview and thoughts about the program?

Here's me:

University: Stony Brook University
Major: Psychology Minor: English
Overall GPA: 3.44
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6
GRE: Q: 152 V: 161 AW: 5.0

Applied:
Columbia, NYU, Downstate, LIU, Temple, Thomas Jefferson, MUSC, UNC, Boston University, MGH, Rush

Acceptances: N/A

Rejections: N/A

Interviews: BU! (12/17/2015)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey you guys!

Overall GPA: 3.45
Prerequisite GPA: 3.7

GRE: 150 Q 150 V 4.5 AW

Hours: 200 with 5 different settings

Tons of leadership/ volunteer/ and extracurricular activities

Applied: Boston University, Temple University, Shenandoah university, James madison university, and Columbia University

Acceptances: Temple University and Shenandoah university

Interviews: Boston University on December 17t!

Reactions: 1 user
Are you nervous? I've been prepping all week!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received my acceptance to start in the fall of 2016!!! Soooo happy!!!! Anyone else?

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, congratulations! I just interviewed at BU on 12/17... did you? When did you hear back and through email?

Yes I interviewed last week on the 17th. I heard back via email.

I haven't heard anything, I must not have been accepted :(

Oh my god I haven't heard back :( also interviewed on 12/17

They're probably sending them out in waves, so I wouldn't worry! It's their break now so I'm sure they'll send out more when they return!

For those of you who interviewed, how was the interview process? I live far away so if I am invited, I may need to do a virtual one

Just wondered if anyone had heard back from BU about the 2/5 or 2/6 interview dates yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email inviting me to interview! :D Very excited to go! I have an interview with MGH the day before, so it'll be nice to be able to compare the two programs.

Just got an email inviting me to interview! :D Very excited to go! I have an interview with MGH the day before, so it'll be nice to be able to compare the two programs.

If you don't mind sharing, what were your stats?

If you don't mind sharing, what were your stats?

Of course! I don't mind :) In fact, my GPA isn't the best (I'd say it's fairly average/on the lower end of average), so I really think that BU looks at the application as a whole and not just stats.

University: UCSD
Major: General Biology (B.S.) and Psychology (B.A.)
Overall GPA: 3.31 (OTCAS)
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.8-3.9 (depending on school)
GRE: V: 165 Q: 159 A: 5

Observation: 250+ hours Outpatient Peds Clinic, 50+ hours Outpatient & Inpatient Stroke Clinic, ~10 hours Hand Therapy

Applied: CSU Dominguez Hills, SJSU, Samuel Merritt University, University of St. Augustine (San Marcos), University of New England, University of Wisconsin - Madison, MGH IHP, Boston University, University of Washington, University of Puget Sound

Interviews: University of New England (11/13), Samuel Merritt University (11/05), MGH IHP (02/05), Boston University (02/06)

Rejections: CSU Dominguez Hills

Acceptances: University of New England

I applied but haven't heard anything yet
I haven't either. What's your analytical writing score? I looked through stats on this forum and no one with a writing score below a 4.5 received an acceptance in the past (maybe one after being on the waitlist). I only got a 4.0. I guess they really care about that writing score :/

I haven't either. What's your analytical writing score? I looked through stats on this forum and no one with a writing score below a 4.5 received an acceptance in the past (maybe one after being on the waitlist). I only got a 4.0. I guess they really care about that writing score :/

I was invited to interview with a 4.0 writing, though I guess an interview on its own doesn't mean too much.

No, that's good! That makes me happy. It's OK if a school doesn't want me, but I would hate it to be because of one little number. That shows that they are looking beyond that number

I'll be at BU and MGH to interview as well. So glad they are the same weekend, and looking forward to finding more about how they are similar/different :)

Has anyone else been accepted yet and plan on attending?

My writing score was also a 4.0. My application was verified after December 15th so I'm not surprised that I haven't heard anything yet. I'm from Florida though so I'm hoping to get a decision soon.

I'll be at BU and MGH to interview as well. So glad they are the same weekend, and looking forward to finding more about how they are similar/different :)

Seems like the MGH one will be a group interview. Do you know how you're prepping for that? It's my first group interview, so I'm a little nervous about it!

Hey all! I just got an interview invitation for BU on 2/5 and I was wondering those who already had the interview can let me know how it went. This is my first grad school OT interview and would love any insight! Was it casual and mostly about why you want to become an OT? Did they ask you any questions about the health care reform/insurance information? I really have no idea what to expect!! Thanks in advance :)

Does anyone know if BU is still sending out interviews to applicants?

Has anyone who already interviewed heard back from BU yet on decisions? I interviewed Dec. 17th, and I know they said they would send them out January - February, but I am so anxious to know! Especially since I got into Stony Brook and I would much rather go to BU, however Stony Brook only gives me 14 days to decide!!

Has anyone who already interviewed heard back from BU yet on decisions? I interviewed Dec. 17th, and I know they said they would send them out January - February, but I am so anxious to know! Especially since I got into Stony Brook and I would much rather go to BU, however Stony Brook only gives me 14 days to decide!!
I interviewed dec 17th too and heard back dec 22nd. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I know, you're the only person I've heard that's heard back! I hope they send them out soon

I applied in December and still haven't heard about getting an interview. Does anyone have this problem? Does it mean I will probably not be invited since interviews are over this weekend?

Hi! Don't worry too much about a low writing score. BU looks at the application as a whole. I attend this program now and know a few students who also received a 4.0 in AW. Head up!

Hi all. I currently attend BU, and I wanted to clarify about admissions. You'll receive your admission decision by late February. Some candidates may hear right away if the department thinks they are a great fit. More regularly, since the class size is small, they want to make sure to know the entire applicant pool and will extend an invitations after they have interviewed. So, take a deep breath! Just because you haven't heard yet does NOT mean you have been rejected! Also if you have any questions about the program feel free to email the student liaisons at the test library [email protected]

For those of you interviewing this weekend, good luck! I'll see you there!

Hi all. I currently attend BU, and I wanted to clarify about admissions. You'll receive your admission decision by late February. Some candidates may hear right away if the department thinks they are a great fit. More regularly, since the class size is small, they want to make sure to know the entire applicant pool and will extend an invitations after they have interviewed. So, take a deep breath! Just because you haven't heard yet does NOT mean you have been rejected! Also if you have any questions about the program feel free to email the student liaisons at the test library [email protected]

For those of you interviewing this weekend, good luck! I'll see you there!

Thank you for sharing! So does that mean applicants can be admitted without an interview too?

Hi @nervousandhopeful, thanks so much for the info! I was just wondering if you felt the classrooms and resources at BU were helpful to facilitating learning (up to date technology, spaces, etc?)

Just got an email - wait listed! I'm going to email back and try to get an idea of whether it's ranked/how many are usually taken off. Anyone else hear back?

Just got an email - wait listed! I'm going to email back and try to get an idea of whether it's ranked/how many are usually taken off. Anyone else hear back?
I still haven't heard ): not sure if that's good or bad... it's my number one choice right now.

Oh no, I also haven't heard back since my interview. I'm worried too it's my number 1 choice.

Also rejected. I'm guessing because my GRE verbal was literally 1 point below what they want. Frustrating considering my other stats were pretty competitive

For those who were accepted, how long did they give you to send in the deposit? Just trying to get a better idea of when those of us on the waitlist might hear back. Thanks!

I had less than 2 weeks to respond, so hopefully they will get the wait list moving quickly!

I had to respond by the beginning of january so there should be some movement soon if not already! Good luck!

Has anyone who has accepted for Fall 2016 received any more information on next steps yet? Thanks :)

Does anyone have any opinions about the BU curriculum including a lot of online classes? Is this good for such a hands-on profession? Also, there is no cadaver class or anatomy course. Do these things worry anyone else?

Has anyone who has accepted for Fall 2016 received any more information on next steps yet? Thanks :)
I haven't heard anything so far, have you? I was hoping there would be a Facebook group for the incoming class

I haven't heard anything yet but agreed! Was hoping for a FB group or at least some more information

Has anyone heard about an accepted students day or any other information? I haven't heard anything since I put down the deposit to attend.

I haven't heard anything yet either. Tuition isn't even determined yet and I'm not sure when our summer online course starts. I hope they send out info soon!