Both in school - married living with parents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajune

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, since everyone is so helpful on this website I thought I would put my situation out there and see what advice you all have.

I am 31 and my husband is 32. We have both work full time currently and own a modest row home. Our mortgage is low but all of our expenses added up will require that I rely on loans to cover my cost of living. My husband's salary won't do much to cover the gap while I am a full time student.

My husband was enrolled in a PhD program before I met him and decided to just finish up his master's and get a full time job. He has always wanted to go back but believes that it is not wise financially. I think that it is his dream and that he will always regret it if he doesn't do it. I also feel like he may be setting his goals aside to let me fulfill mine. He needs to be the one to decide this but I'd think there are options for him to consider if this is what he truly wants.

My mother suggested that we move in with her so that we can both complete our doctorates. This would involve selling our house and belongings. The market isn't great so we may want to think about renting but at any rate we would need to get out of our mortgage to move in with my parents. We lived with them briefly before and feel that is was quite doable - though that was 6-months not three years.

From my husband's perspective the idea of neither of us working is crazy and has yet to consider the possibility objectively. We are still young but I think the window for this type of thing is narrowing. It might be better for us to do this at the same time and live like true students then for it to be spread out - my three years and then his three years (or years and years part time.) Or am I as crazy as he thinks I'm being? LOL!

Can anyone relate to this? Is anyone moving back in with parents after years of self-sufficiency? Going from dual income to two students living on loans? How do other couples make it work with both in school?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

there is no way I could live with my parents. I love them dearly, but they drive me nuts.