Botox and Fillers in Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should dentists be allowed to perform botox and fillers within their general practice?

• Yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

timmythetooth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Currently in my dental ethics course we are having a debate on the use of Botox and Fillers in Dentistry. I was placed on the side that is opposed to these techniques, but I am having a difficulty finding academic articles that also oppose the idea. If any one has any other information or even links to articles helping me out, please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

Though this is more specific to your query:

http://www.elitedentalarts.com/our_services/Injectible_Smile_Enhancing_Fillers.htm

Minimally invasive aesthetic procedures have become highly commoditized and incorporating them into your business model is largely about outcomes, marketing, patient experience, and pricing. Derms tend to be very territorial about this so likely not the best forum for you to get unbiased opinions.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Dentist I shadow does it and is very good and I intend on learning it as well, not for financial reasons but because I am actually very passionate about aesthetics (which is like half of what dentistry is about). And how can you let your nurses do Botox for you and expect other healthcare professionals to not follow the suit?

Last edited:
Dentist I shadow does it and is very good and I intend on learning it as well, not for financial reasons but because I am actually very passionate about aesthetics (which is like half of what dentistry is about). And how can you let your nurses do Botox for you and expect other healthcare professionals to not follow the suit?

I have never seen anyone but a doctor give botox in dermatology so Im not sure where you are getting that idea. It is definitely not the norm for nurses to be giving it and I highly doubt you have ever seen this yourself and instead are just reporting hearsay.

PS: Your profile location is highly ironic. Moral high ground. Yet you use arguments like I heard other people are doing ethically dubious things so I want to also...

Some Dentists are trained and allowed . Botox is used for facial pain, gummy smile , TMJ and cosmetic Dentistry. Dentistry is separated from Medicine and Dentists can do what they want as long as it's within the scope and allowed by the state. Nurses in other countries also inject botox and fillers for cosmetic and medical purposes. Nurses are trained and supervised by a Plastic Surgeon, Facial plastic surgeon or a Dermatologist

I'm not sure why I allowed this thread for as long as I did.

Off topic, closing. Please bring all your botox and fillers in dentistry concerns to...... The dentistry forums.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.