Box checking: anything else?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kk123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Please don't criticize me as a "box checker." I am just trying my best to increase my chances of getting into medical school, and I want to make sure I do not miss anything significant. Since I do not have a premed advisor, I'm using my own internet research to guide me through this process. I continue to find more and more things that premeds need to do before applying.
So far I have:
Clinical volunteering
Nonclinical volunteering
Research (will have research published this year)
Leadership
Tutoring
TA job
Work experience
Academic awards
Shadowing

Is there anything else I need to do before applying, or do I just continue to do things such as working and volunteering? What activities do medical schools weigh as more significant than others?

Members don't see this ad.

How many hours of each? If you do this for just a semester long/~40 hours, then adcoms will see you as a box checker, making you seem disingenuous about being a physician.

How many hours of each? If you do this for just a semester long/~40 hours, then adcoms will see you as a box checker, making you seem disingenuous about being a physician.
Clinical volunteering-1.5 years
Nonclinical volunteering-various short term volunteering
Research 2 semesters
Leadership-1 year
Tutoring-3 years
TA job-1 semester
Work experience-6 years
Shadowing-a couple of weeks

Members don't see this ad :)
go do something interesting

Reactions: 3 users
Sounds good! The most important thing for volunteering is longevity. So make sure you continue to do it up until you get an acceptance to medical school, don't just drop it abruptly after reaching a certain number of hours. Also, since AMCAS has changed and no longer requires you to put in hours per week, you can "binge volunteer" and rack up hours when it's most convenient for you.

You've definitely got everything covered. I would stay away from entry-level clinical jobs, since they will require a large commitment and not make you stand out. Volunteering and shadowing alone are enough to get you into medical school. Focus on grades and the MCAT, those are the most important. And finally, don't let anyone tell you that it's wrong to be a box-checker! I don't get why people consider it to be such a bad thing on this site... Pre-meds are making huge sacrifices to get into medical school. That's the ultimate end goal, nothing else. Failure to do so can leave you in a very bad position for the rest of your life. Do what's best for you, and only you! Good luck!

Reactions: 7 users
Sounds good! The most important thing for volunteering is longevity. So make sure you continue to do it up until you get an acceptance to medical school, don't just drop it abruptly after reaching a certain number of hours. Also, since AMCAS has changed and no longer requires you to put in hours per week, you can "binge volunteer" and rack up hours when it's most convenient for you.

You've definitely got everything covered. I would stay away from entry-level clinical jobs, since they will require a large commitment and not make you stand out. Volunteering and shadowing alone are enough to get you into medical school. Focus on grades and the MCAT, those are the most important. And finally, don't let anyone tell you that it's wrong to be a box-checker! I don't get why people consider it to be such a bad thing on this site... Pre-meds are making huge sacrifices to get into medical school. That's the ultimate end goal, nothing else. Failure to do so can leave you in a very bad position for the rest of your life. Do what's best for you, and only you! Good luck!

Thank you so much for the advice! This is very helpful! :)

Reactions: 1 user

WOW. That was sure something, I don't know if I can even call it advice. Are you being serious when you said pre-meds are making huge sacrifices to get into medical school? No, that is just not okay. Soldiers are making huge sacrifices to protect our country and people who put others first and foremost are making sacrifices, not pre-meds who are tying to check off a list of things to do to get into medical school. The end goal is not medical school and if it is for you, all I got to say is bad news: there is something called residency and working as a doctor and helping people and caring for them and passing dozens of more exams down the road.

Not checking boxes off won't make you fail, in fact it might even help you stand out because from those EC's OP you look so boring (this is not meant to criticize you since obviously I don't know you in person and this is just an internet forum, but I am trying to point out all the aspects that are wrong with the "advice" this person gave you) and like you were just trying to get into medical school verses actually looking for activities and volunteer opportunities that you will enjoy. And seriously Planes2Doc, "do what's best for you, and only you"? What sort of mentality is that? Here you go telling OP the importance of longevity in volunteering yet you can't even come up with something that even remotely resembles the idea behind WHY people volunteer and put their time into volunteer work. Your post is beyond redemption.

My advice: Try combining your interests outside of medicine with your volunteer work so you will enjoy them and have a genuine ability to talk about these activities. You aren't lacking in any department and you haven't missed anything significant, but you want to be sure you will be able to write about your experiences in a way that will make you stand out. Everyone has a different path to medicine, and you just need to make sure you know how yours is unique based on your experiences. A lot of people will have the same reasons for going into medicine, but your goal is to have activities that will make your decision to pursue medicine sound new, exciting and interesting.

Don't forget the all-important "Other" box, do something makes you stand out. Something you enjoy.

WOW. That was sure something, I don't know if I can even call it advice. Are you being serious when you said pre-meds are making huge sacrifices to get into medical school? No, that is just not okay. Soldiers are making huge sacrifices to protect our country and people who put others first and foremost are making sacrifices, not pre-meds who are tying to check off a list of things to do to get into medical school. The end goal is not medical school and if it is for you, all I got to say is bad news: there is something called residency and working as a doctor and helping people and caring for them and passing dozens of more exams down the road.

calm it down. huge is a relative term okay? could be personally huge or huge on a world scale (military).

Reactions: 1 user

Easy there, I have no idea what I did to piss you off so badly... You realize that the word sacrifice is used on different scales? I never once compared pre-meds to the troops, nor did I call them heroes or anything of that nature. As @baxt1412 said, it's a relative term. If you head over to the allopathic forum, you'll see that people say medical school is a big sacrifice. If this offends you, then maybe medical school isn't for you... And news flash, in order to get into residency and work as a doctor, you need to get into medical school in the first place. And what do I mean by huge sacrifice? The pre-meds who get far in the process, put all of their eggs in one basket (hard science majors), and end up not getting into medical school will often be left in the cold. They won't be able to get a decent high paying job. They will find themselves underemployed. I know people who this happened to, including a person friend who was once pre-med, but is now working full-time years after getting her college degree as a receptionist in a doctor's office. This is the same doctor's office she worked at as a pre-med, and thus didn't require anything beyond her high school diploma to do. Hence, this is what I meant by sacrifice. This is the biggest bottleneck in the process, and the one where thousands of applicants get weeded out. Out of all the parts on SDN, pre-allopathic is the largest, and for good reasons.

Not checking boxes off won't make you fail, in fact it might even help you stand out because from those EC's OP you look so boring (this is not meant to criticize you since obviously I don't know you in person and this is just an internet forum, but I am trying to point out all the aspects that are wrong with the "advice" this person gave you) and like you were just trying to get into medical school verses actually looking for activities and volunteer opportunities that you will enjoy.

Well then, why do you think most of these people are doing these activities in the first place? How many people do you personally know in college that are doing so many service activities? Altruism is a very rare trait. The people who are genuinely altruistic are impressive indeed, but rare as well. Can you honestly tell me that college students with no interest in medical school or other health professional schools are lining up at hospital doors so that they can volunteer and end up cleaning beds, restocking shelves, and doing other free labor for the hell of it? Also, how many pre-meds that end up dropping their medical school ambitions actually continue these activities? Are pre-meds creating these laundry-list of activities because they might actually be trying to get into medical school?

And seriously Planes2Doc, "do what's best for you, and only you"? What sort of mentality is that? Here you go telling OP the importance of longevity in volunteering yet you can't even come up with something that even remotely resembles the idea behind WHY people volunteer and put their time into volunteer work. Your post is beyond redemption.

The genuinely altruistic people volunteer because they want to. Pre-meds who aren't genuinely altruistic volunteer because it's an unwritten requirement. If it weren't for their medical school ambitions, they wouldn't be doing these activities in the first place. Look, if people want to volunteer, they have their entire lives to do it. But during this stressful time which can make or break the rest of your life, why not make better choices that will help you first? Would you rather do a volunteer activity which lets you spend 90% of the time studying, or would you rather do a volunteer activity which keeps you doing meaningful work all the time? If that study time means the difference between getting into medical school, then it's worth it. So like I said, pre-meds are volunteering because they have to. This is WHY pre-meds volunteer and put their time into volunteer work. I'm sorry that leaves a bad taste in your mouth, but if this upsets you so much, then you should not only be upset at me, but upset at every pre-med that has volunteered not out of genuine passion.

Reactions: 2 users

You are certainly a piece of work.

I don't even know how to approach you between your sensationalized belief that everyone who becomes a soldier does so through pure virtue of heroism and your idea that being pre-med is anything but a sacrifice. Putting so much time and effort in a single goal like that is definitely a "sacrifice"

Reactions: 2 users

I don't even know how to approach you between your sensationalized belief that everyone who becomes a soldier does so through pure virtue of heroism and your idea that being pre-med is anything but a sacrifice. Putting so much time and effort in a single goal like that is definitely a "sacrifice"

That's definitely true @ichor . People enlist for a variety of different reasons, but SDN isn't about military service. This particular part of SDN is for pre-meds trying to get into medical school. There are definitely bigger issues in the world than getting into medical school. There are people getting killed and maimed on a daily basis in Syria. There are starving children in third world countries who are dying every day from malnutrition. The list goes on and on... There are definitely bigger things in the world than getting into medical school, but guess what @RussianFrolic , the biggest thing in this thread is you guessed it, getting into medical school! Thus, the biggest sacrifice someone will make in the process is putting all of their eggs in one basket to get into medical school. This can either go very well, or can go so poorly, where like I mentioned earlier, that people will ruin their entire future and possibly be underemployed for the rest of their lives. It's not the same as dying for this country or getting limbs blown off. It's not the same as getting killed in a volatile part of the world. And it's definitely not the same as dying of starvation or preventable/treatable illness in the third world. But for this forum, it's the biggest deal of all. And maybe on a tech forum, the biggest sacrifice a gamer might make is giving up a PCI-E slot in a newly built computer. That seems even less important than putting all your eggs in one basket as a pre-med, but to people in the gaming community and in those forums, it's a big deal. Every group of people will have their own issues to deal with. If someone has a problem, you can't tell them that their problems are ridiculous because there is something much bigger going on in the world, because to them, this is their world.

Last edited:

I didn't say that every soldier does so because of heroism, but it is sacrifice that I define as huge while perhaps others define huge sacrifice as deciding to pursue a specific career/goal. I was probably raised in a different environment and with a different family history that you (one that taught me just how relative everything is and that just because you don't reach your goals the first time you will one day) which is why I felt that the post by Planes2Doc was very shallow and wasn't helping to build OP's desire to do pre-med "requirements" out of enjoyment for pursing her/his interests rather than just the goal of getting into medical school.