Boxing and medical career?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monyistbitu95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a 19 year old medical student in Alexandria, Egypt (we get into medschool straight away without premed). Even though I study a lot, I still firmly believe that athletic endeavor is equally as important as academic endeavor. As Socrates once put it
“No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”

One of the sports I am very passionate about is boxing. I enjoy weight lifting, and sprinting. However, boxing has a different taste. For starters, it's amazing for stamina, focus, stability, balance and confidence. Furthermore, it teaches you how to defend yourself. The one thing that scares me however is the possible brain damage that can result. One day, I imagine myself being a surgeon of some sorts. Would boxing cause nervous system damage so far as to ruin my mental capabilities or my motor nervous system? Assuming this is true, what if I stick to light/friendly sparring without competing?

Are there any premeds or doctors who take boxing or some sort of fighting sport as a side hobby? How is it working for you?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The one thing that scares me however is the possible brain damage that can result. One day, I imagine myself being a surgeon of some sorts. Would boxing cause nervous system damage so far as to ruin my mental capabilities or my motor nervous system?
Yes. The American Academy of Pediatrics and other authoritative bodies have spoken out against boxing as a sport for children and young adults, citing "Participants in boxing are at risk of head, face and neck injuries, including chronic and even fatal neurologic injuries. Concussions are one of the most common injuries occurring in boxing. http://www.cps.ca/documents/position/boxing

The American Medical Association recommends against head blows, and the Canadian Medical Association and World Medical Association have all recommended that boxing be banned.

Yes. The American Academy of Pediatrics and other authoritative bodies have spoken out against boxing as a sport for children and young adults, citing "Participants in boxing are at risk of head, face and neck injuries, including chronic and even fatal neurologic injuries. Concussions are one of the most common injuries occurring in boxing. http://www.cps.ca/documents/position/boxing

The American Medical Association recommends against head blows, and the Canadian Medical Association and World Medical Association have all recommended that boxing be banned.

The evidence is conclusive I'm afraid.

That being said, I'd also like to hear experiences. Do any of you guys here participate in sports that involve strikes? MMA, Boxing, Muay Thai etc..

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if it'd be the same for you, but you can try a largely ceremonial martial art like Tai Chi, Tai Kwon Do, or Capoeira. These martial arts can be practiced in a non-contact fashion where you just do the forms and movements.

Hi guys,

I'm a 19 year old medical student in Alexandria, Egypt (we get into medschool straight away without premed). Even though I study a lot, I still firmly believe that athletic endeavor is equally as important as academic endeavor. As Socrates once put it
“No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”

One of the sports I am very passionate about is boxing. I enjoy weight lifting, and sprinting. However, boxing has a different taste. For starters, it's amazing for stamina, focus, stability, balance and confidence. Furthermore, it teaches you how to defend yourself. The one thing that scares me however is the possible brain damage that can result. One day, I imagine myself being a surgeon of some sorts. Would boxing cause nervous system damage so far as to ruin my mental capabilities or my motor nervous system? Assuming this is true, what if I stick to light/friendly sparring without competing?

Are there any premeds or doctors who take boxing or some sort of fighting sport as a side hobby? How is it working for you?

Thanks!

I boxed throughout my life and at was a top ranked fighter for USA. To be completely honest, at every medical school interview I've been to they have absolutely loved my boxing history and recommend places for me to box around the medical school. I have been accepted to multiple schools and although boxing obviously is not the only extracurricular activity I have, I believe it only added another dimension to my application. Furthermore, boxing is no more dangerous than football, or for that matter cheerleading (being thrown up in the air and such). That also depends on your weight class, Muhammad Ali's head is no stronger than mine, but I never received the heavy blows he did because I'm a light weight.

As far as actually having time to do it, it depends on what boxing means to you? Is boxing just a fun hobby or is it your lifestyle. At one point boxing was my lifestyle and I can't say I do it much anymore beyond coaching because it was never a hobby to me nor could I ever treat it like that. Regardless of what it means to you, don't feel bad about doing it. Boxing teaches you so much as a person and gives you a strange sense of confidence that can only be acquired from standing in the ring in front of crowds of people. Good luck in both medicine and boxing!

I boxed throughout my life and at was a top ranked fighter for USA. To be completely honest, at every medical school interview I've been to they have absolutely loved my boxing history and recommend places for me to box around the medical school. I have been accepted to multiple schools and although boxing obviously is not the only extracurricular activity I have, I believe it only added another dimension to my application. Furthermore, boxing is no more dangerous than football, or for that matter cheerleading (being thrown up in the air and such). That also depends on your weight class, Muhammad Ali's head is no stronger than mine, but I never received the heavy blows he did because I'm a light weight.

As far as actually having time to do it, it depends on what boxing means to you? Is boxing just a fun hobby or is it your lifestyle. At one point boxing was my lifestyle and I can't say I do it much anymore beyond coaching because it was never a hobby to me nor could I ever treat it like that. Regardless of what it means to you, don't feel bad about doing it. Boxing teaches you so much as a person and gives you a strange sense of confidence that can only be acquired from standing in the ring in front of crowds of people. Good luck in both medicine and boxing!
Sorry to come out of nowhere, but I want to ask a question since the topic is about martial arts (I read boxing is also consider a martial art). I want to join an MMA gym next year. Is it possible to practice Muay Thai (and other martial arts as well) as a hobby without getting used as a fighting dummy between your classmates? I want to join this MMA gym where you start off learning Muay Thai and BJJ.

Last edited:
The evidence is conclusive I'm afraid.

That being said, I'd also like to hear experiences. Do any of you guys here participate in sports that involve strikes? MMA, Boxing, Muay Thai etc..
There are a few MMAers I've known of in med schools. You are risking permanent memory deficits and nervous system damage with competitive boxing, and there are plenty of other ways to both stay in shape and keep your fighting skills sharp that don't involve repeated blows to the head. I'm not saying don't do it, just weigh the risks, because they're pretty great.

Sorry to come out of nowhere, but I want to ask a question since the topic is about martial arts (I read boxing is also consider a martial art). I want to join MMA gym next year. Is it possible to practice Muay Thai (and other martial arts as well) as a hobby without getting used as a fighting dummy between your classmates? I want to join this MMA gym where you start of learning Muay Thai and BJJ.
It's very difficult to learn many of the techniques properly without being on the receiving end of them. That being said, you can learn the techniques without actually entering fights, which are where the real damage is dealt.

Sorry to come out of nowhere, but I want to ask a question since the topic is about martial arts (I read boxing is also consider a martial art). I want to join MMA gym next year. Is it possible to practice Muay Thai (and other martial arts as well) as a hobby without getting used as a fighting dummy between your classmates? I want to join this MMA gym where you start of learning Muay Thai and BJJ.
I highly doubt it. Being on the receiving end is just as important as being the one dealing the blows in any form of martial arts. I come from a more traditional Asian martial arts background, and practicing on and with other people is an integral part of building your skill set.

Reactions: 1 user
I have done Wing Chun Kung Fu for years and you can be quite effective without any serious sparring to injure yourself. Practicing on a Muk Yan Jong allows you full contact for technique and speed, not to mention a great workout.

It's very difficult to learn many of the techniques properly without being on the receiving end of them. That being said, you can learn the techniques without actually entering fights, which are where the real damage is dealt.
I highly doubt it. Being on the receiving end is just as important as being the one dealing the blows in any form of martial arts. I come from a more traditional Asian martial arts background, and practicing on and with other people is an integral part of building your skill set.
Oh, okay. Thanks, dudes. But for Muay Thai it won't be as bad as long as I don't enter real fights, right?

Oh, okay. Thanks, dudes. But for Muay Thai it won't be as bad as long as I don't enter real fights, right?
I think it would be fine, as you're not dealing blows meant to cause damage when sparring or initially learning a technique. But I don't have direct experience with Muay Thai (only other martial arts), personally, so I can't say.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would be fine, as you're not dealing blows meant to cause damage when sparring or initially learning a technique. But I don't have direct experience with Muay Thai (only other martial arts), personally, so I can't say.
Phew, I don't want to mess up my prettyboy face. Hahaha, jk. I just want to do MMA as a hobby, something to use to relieve stress. I'm moving away from the bodybuilding scene. I want to be a smaller guy, still muscular, but also athletic.

Theoretically it won't be as bad, but don't expect to go into training without experiencing some level of physical discomfort. Remember: pain is just weakness leaving the body.
As a guy who was so close to joining the US Marines, that was my motto.

I guess I should expect some discomfort since BJJ will have you tapping out a lot (unless you're good ;)).

I have done Wing Chun Kung Fu for years and you can be quite effective without any serious sparring to injure yourself. Practicing on a Muk Yan Jong allows you full contact for technique and speed, not to mention a great workout.

I practice Wing Chun as well, and I disagree. Chi sau and mook Jong training are great for developing sensitivity, skill, and structure, but it's not fighting. The only way to truly hone actual fighting skills is to spar or fight. Chi sau will develop your sensitivity and trapping game, but it doesn't truly prepare you for fighting at dynamic distances. And the mook Jong doesn't hit back.

As a guy who was so close to joining the US Marines, that was my motto.

I guess I should expect some discomfort since BJJ will have you tapping out a lot (unless you're good ;)).

I'm in undergrad now but I've been practicing BJJ for a couple years now. To answer your original question, the best way to learn BJJ is hands down open roll. You will gain close to nothing in terms of technique and execution without rolling with your classmates. As far as whether or not you should expect any serious injuries, the chances are very slim. You just need to know when to tap, and don't be afraid to tap. If you feel someone going for a heel hook and you don't know how to escape, tap. As far as take downs go try to avoid any fancy **** and stick to singles/doubles/armdrag/etc until you get your game up. I don't know how mobile you are but to avoid self-injury stick to good old closed guard for a while and avoid all the rubber guard-type **** until you know what purpose they serve. If you were a bodybuilding type you probably won't get smashed anyway. In general any grappling art should be relatively safe for avoiding the memory deficits and nerve damage associated with striking arts. I used to practice muay thai too, although I never got too into it, but I don't really have time to keep up with BJJ, muay thai, and lifting now.

I'm in undergrad now but I've been practicing BJJ for a couple years now. To answer your original question, the best way to learn BJJ is hands down open roll. You will gain close to nothing in terms of technique and execution without rolling with your classmates. As far as whether or not you should expect any serious injuries, the chances are very slim. You just need to know when to tap, and don't be afraid to tap. If you feel someone going for a heel hook and you don't know how to escape, tap. As far as take downs go try to avoid any fancy **** and stick to singles/doubles/armdrag/etc until you get your game up. I don't know how mobile you are but to avoid self-injury stick to good old closed guard for a while and avoid all the rubber guard-type **** until you know what purpose they serve. If you were a bodybuilding type you probably won't get smashed anyway. In general any grappling art should be relatively safe for avoiding the memory deficits and nerve damage associated with striking arts. I used to practice muay thai too, although I never got too into it, but I don't really have time to keep up with BJJ, muay thai, and lifting now.
Thanks, dude. I'm really interested in surgery, so I don't want to jeopardize that option by messing up my hands. I want to get into MMA with a smaller body frame, even though it's going to be a hobby. I stop lifting months ago and I'm still holding my size, for others that's a win, for me not so much. lol Does it get weird with BJJ? I remember getting a low grade in PE in high school because I didn't want to participate in wrestling.

I'm not comfortable with the idea of a doctor participating in professional boxing.

Thanks, dude. I'm really interested in surgery, so I don't want to jeopardize that option by messing up my hands. I want to get into MMA with a smaller body frame, even though it's going to be a hobby. I stop lifting months ago and I'm still holding my size, for others that's a win, for me not so much. lol Does it get weird with BJJ? I remember getting a low grade in PE in high school because I didn't want to participate in wrestling.

What do you mean by "Does it get weird with BJJ"? If you're referring to the size of your body frame from lifting, it won't hurt you, especially if you don't compete and just roll with the guys at your gym. Depending on your weight if you decide to compete you will need to compete with bigger guys too.

I'm not comfortable with the idea of a doctor participating in professional boxing.
Why not? It's on their own time. A lot of docs engage in martial arts and you would have never known, unless you asked them.

crossbrag bruh... oops. crossfit*

Sorry to come out of nowhere, but I want to ask a question since the topic is about martial arts (I read boxing is also consider a martial art). I want to join an MMA gym next year. Is it possible to practice Muay Thai (and other martial arts as well) as a hobby without getting used as a fighting dummy between your classmates? I want to join this MMA gym where you start off learning Muay Thai and BJJ.

spend significant time on padwork, bagwork, etc without much contact, but also have contact drills and sparring where the focus is not to "beat someone up" but to practice your techniques in a situation where your opponent can dodge, etc. You won't get used as a punching bag, if that happens, leave and find a real trainer and not some meathead who likes to hit people. That being said, at any MT gym your shins will take a beating just during bagwork and shin to shin contact during drills or sparring, and in any physical activity there is opportunity for some sort of injury.

That being said, I LOVE martial arts, but have stopped in the past year and am wary to start again after all the work I've dedicated to pursue medicine. Too afraid of hand or joint injuries in striking martial arts, though I may pick up BJJ.

I am a pre-medical student, I box in the amateurs. If you want to box, make sure you don't stand in the pocket in heavy exchanges, and I wouldn't advise having more than 20 amateur fights, or sparring more than twice a week. I try to get my sparring in once a week, maybe twice tops. If I ever get a headache, I take off any contact training for a week. You're going to take shots, it's inevitable, but I try to minimize impact to my brain knowing that I have a long career ahead of me. Trust me, you will be the ONLY fighter in the gym who plans on having a future in medicine, or any career that requires such extensive education, so you need to be more careful than others. Tailor your style to hit and not be hit, use movement a lot and box from the outside. Boxing is the greatest sport on Earth, and just like football, hockey, and any other sports, it has risk associated with it.

There is no striking in BJJ, so for those who do not want to get hit, that is the way to go. I personally hate grappling, and any sort of ground combat. Don't know anything about Karate or any of that stuff, do whatever floats your boat, and whatever you enjoy

To OP. Do BJJ instead. To everyone else. Also do BJJ. MMA is okay, but you're still taking blows to the head unless you have great training partners and/or a school that trains very intelligently (eg headgear, few rounds at 100%, etc), plus there is the uncontrolled nature of any striking sport (once your partner has decided to throw that jab there's no taking it back, while there is almost always time to tap in BJJ).

I boxed competitively in high school and [non-competitively] in college.

Awesome experience. Super time consuming. Required mucho discipline.

All that said, I mentioned it exactly zero times in my application.

Not worth the risk, IMO. (Although if I was like Olympic-level status, I sure would have brought it up.)

Stopped around 2010, still think about it often. No time to maintain that kind of conditioning and reflexes.

Can still tear up a speedbag though. :)

Last edited:
Hahaha, I love how all the secret fighters come out in SDN. :horns::punch:

A friend of mine is in med school and does BJJ/MMA training. I'm sure he spars a bit too, but you enter those to practice technique and such with the understanding that you're not hoping to wreck yourself or anyone else. He loves it.