BR Biology or EK Biology passages?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reese07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My MCAT is in 2 weeks and I wanted to do some review over important biology contents, it seems like the TBR Bio passages are alot harder than the EK ones but which ones would be more efficient to practice on in terms in content review from the answer explanations?

Members don't see this ad.

EK 1001 is horrendous. Total waste of money and time. TBR is known to have excellent passages, so go with that...

EK bio isn't bad, I thought it was the best of the 1001 series. Its decent practice, but TBR is by far the best choice. TBR passages were for me the closest to the real thing in terms of weirdness and getting you ready for those wtf passages.

EK bio isn't bad, I thought it was the best of the 1001 series. Its decent practice, but TBR is by far the best choice. TBR passages were for me the closest to the real thing in terms of weirdness and getting you ready for those wtf passages.

how would you compare the difficulty of TBR bio vs the actual mcat? I did 80% of the passages and usually score around 60-70%. If the mcat bio is anything like tbr...i'm dead.

Members don't see this ad :)
how would you compare the difficulty of TBR bio vs the actual mcat? I did 80% of the passages and usually score around 60-70%. If the mcat bio is anything like tbr...i'm dead.

Yeah I also would like to know the answer for this question.

Yeah I also would like to know the answer for this question.

I have a friend who is a complete genius and was practicing with BR Bio and was getting between 60-70% on every section. He said BR Bio was ridiculously hard and started focusing on TPRH Science Workbook instead. In the end, he got a 14 in the B.S. He told me afterward that BR Bio can be somewhat helpful for the WTF type passage but it's MUCH harder than the real thing. He recommended the Science Workbook more than anything and disliked 1001 EK Bio.

I have a friend who is a complete genius and was practicing with BR Bio and was getting between 60-70% on every section. He said BR Bio was ridiculously hard and started focusing on TPRH Science Workbook instead. In the end, he got a 14 in the B.S. He told me afterward that BR Bio can be somewhat helpful for the WTF type passage but it's MUCH harder than the real thing. He recommended the Science Workbook more than anything and disliked 1001 EK Bio.

Thanks for the reply!

BR Bio can be somewhat helpful for the WTF type passage but it's MUCH harder than the real thing. He recommended the Science Workbook more than anything and disliked 1001 EK Bio.

+1

But I'd like to add that I think eneryone should complete at least the sections that they are weakest in EK1001 Bio, because it will ask similar questions in many, different ways in order to ram home the basic details.

I don't think EK 1001 Bio was bad. It wasn't great for passage based practice but it was good at letting you assess your weaknesses. TPR Science Workbook has really great passages of varying difficulties that I liked. TBR was varied, they were good at some of the crazy passages but some passages were just not great and all seemed hard, which the real MCAT isn't really like. Overall I'd say TPR had the best practice for Bio. Also, I saw some of you guys mention scores and percentages, honestly I wouldn't worry about how you score but use it and practice to perfect your skills and learn the material. Of course you should score yourself to see where you are and so you can see weak areas/trends but don't put faith in anything other than AAMC to predict scores so don't worry about all the percentage stuff too much.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

I don't think EK 1001 Bio was bad. It wasn't great for passage based practice but it was good at letting you assess your weaknesses. TPR Science Workbook has really great passages of varying difficulties that I liked. TBR was varied, they were good at some of the crazy passages but some passages were just not great and all seemed hard, which the real MCAT isn't really like. Overall I'd say TPR had the best practice for Bio. Also, I saw some of you guys mention scores and percentages, honestly I wouldn't worry about how you score but use it and practice to perfect your skills and learn the material. Of course you should score yourself to see where you are and so you can see weak areas/trends but don't put faith in anything other than AAMC to predict scores so don't worry about all the percentage stuff too much.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

Welcome back again :D

I am currently studying for MCATs, and from what i see BR passages are way harder than EK 1001 and its just killing me.

I get average 2-3 wrong in BR passages where as i get 1 or none wrong in Ek 1001, idk if its me or something... I didnt try TPR workbook yet but i will give it a try.

I am a bio major who has good understanding of the content material... so i dont know whats up.

This sounds like great advice but would it work for those of us who aren't geniuses?