BR biology passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fleur64

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Today i started doing practice bio passages from the Berkeley Review books. I am using the sdn 3 month plan but with a few changes. However, I am starting to feel that the EK chapters aren't correlating with the BR passages that the sdn 3 month plan suggests. Is anyone feeling the same way? Should I use TPR hyperlearning workbook instead?

(I have done the first couple passages for chapter 1 and then decided to stop)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm plugging away also and I've found that while BR bio passages are definitely tough, they are getting better. The physio questions I think are pretty good and hopefully tough practice will result in preparation for the real thing.

Are you doing the passages found on the sdn 3 month schedule ?

I might return to br for physio but for molecular stuff I'm leaning towards pr

I'm 5 chapters in and find that they correlate.

EK readings are sometimes too concise though so you'll run into passages in TBR that seem a little unfamiliar.

Members don't see this ad :)
alright, im going to try to get through a couple more passages, hopefully it gets easier. I used Princeton Review for content to supplement EK readings so hopefully I am covered on the content side of things

I would prioritize either EK or TPR over TBR. TBR is nearly overkill and plenty of people get 11 and 12's on biology with EK or TPR alone. If you make a point to know practically everything in either EK or TPR, your knowledge base should be sufficient to score above 10 in biology.

What TBR is good for is if you pretty much know everything about MCAT biology and want to come as close to a perfect score as possible.

Just knowing EK Bio content will not be sufficient to do TBR passages. I did my content with EK Bio and found that the content is decent if you don't have that much time for content review. TBR does touch on a lot more than you will probably need but if you have the time, it's not bad practice..I mean doing TBR passages, not reading through the entire bio books. If you score low on TBR bio, don't think too much about it...just focus on learning what and why you missed rather on the overall score.

alright, im going to try to get through a couple more passages, hopefully it gets easier. I used Princeton Review for content to supplement EK readings so hopefully I am covered on the content side of things

The passages become much easier after the first two Bio chapters for SN2's schedule: molecular biology and genetics. I would highly recommend reading through TBR or TPR for genetics. EK is enough for anatomy and physiology.

I've already finished going through EK chapters and almost done going through PR. I'm not going to bother reading BR for content since ppl are telling me that its wayy to detailed. I am using both PR and BR for passages. BR to practice with tougher material, and PR to keep my confidence from dropping.

@stitchattack is spot on, and for this reason TBR bio can be very difficult (at times unnecessarily so). I think TPR science work book for bio is a better reflection of the type of questions and passages you could see on your test than TBR bio, but TBR bio takes the cake for physics, ochem, and gen chem practice in my opinion (though TPR does a more than satisfactory job in this regard as well). TBR bio will still help you, just take your scores with a grain salt.

I felt that I was being overwhelmed with how many I was getting wrong on BR and not really knowing what concepts I didn't fully understand. So I am trying TPR right now and maybe later jumping back to BR.