Breaking Down the MCAT: A 3 Month MCAT Study Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Written by SN2ed.

Downloadable MCAT Calendar iCAL and XML versions: http://www.studentdoctor.net/3-month-mcat-study-schedule/
(Click the events for more details)

Everyone please keep the questions to this strategy AND READ ALL OF THE FIRST FOUR POSTS.

Do NOT start this schedule late. You will burnout. There have already been numerous posts & threads on people starting late, trying to rush through the material, and burning out quickly.
Check the Update log in the last post for any changes.

I noticed that some people are claiming they wrote this guide to scam people out of money. Let me make this clear, I have not and will not be selling anything related to this guide. If you see a poster trying to sell books saying they wrote this schedule, do NOT buy from them. They are attempting to take your money away on false pretenses. Additionally, this guide has only been and should only be posted on SDN. I have not posted this guide anywhere else. Furthermore, SDN is the sole MCAT/medical forum I visit and the only forum where I use the screen name SN2ed. I never imagined this thread would be popular enough to warrant this kind of attention. The contents of this thread (and any other on SDN) cannot be replicated and re-hosted on any other forum, blog, or website without prior consent of both the author and SDN.
Make sure you read ALL of the opening posts, including the FAQ, before posting questions.

To begin with, check out these two threads:

Why Diagnostics are Worthless: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=557231

MCAT and a Heavy School Workload Don't Mix: Stop rushing to take the MCAT:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602186

Can I accomplish this schedule with a part-time job or school?

Very unlikely. I highly recommend you devote 3 months to the MCAT. There may be a few that could follow this schedule and work part-time, but chances are it would not end well. You are FAR more likely to burn out if you try to study for the MCAT using this schedule and go to school or take a part/full-time job.

Furthermore, I've yet to see a valid reason for students (ie. not non-trads) to not take the MCAT in the summer.

Will following this guide guarantee me a +30?

Sadly, there are no guarantees on the MCAT. I certainly hope it helps you, but I can't say whether or not you'll hit your target score.

Should I take the MCAT before finishing my pre-reqs?

There's no point in doing so. You have to take them anyway. Hence, you might as well go into the test with your pre-reqs completed. Yes, this includes the English pre-req.

Any tips for retakers?

Check out the thread I made on the subject: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=754682

Remember to check out the third and fourth post FAQ.

Anything else before I start?

CONFIDENCE. Through all of the troubles and hardships you'll face, approach everything with confidence. You must constantly attack this test. The MCAT is merely a stepping stone on your journey.

Also, this is just a guide I made up. It is my opinion on what a study schedule should resemble. I'm sure there will be people that disagree with parts of this schedule or the whole thing. This schedule can easily be adjusted for 4 months instead of 3. I don't suggest starting heavy studying 5 months+ from your test date. Keep it to 3-4 months. If you start too soon, it will be a waste of time and resources.

Remember to use the search function on these forums. Tons of questions have already been asked and answered.
Lastly, please give credit to me, SN2ed, if you post this elsewhere. I put a ton of work into it.

Materials:

- Berkeley Review (BR) General Chemistry
- BR Organic Chemistry
- Examkrackers (EK) Biology for non-detailed approach OR The Princeton Review Hyperlearning (TPR) Biology/BR Biology for a detailed approach (In the schedule, I will use EK Bio because most prefer a non-detailed approach)
- BR Bio
- BR Physics
- EK 1001 series, excluding EK 1001 Bio (i.e. do NOT buy EK 1001 Bio)
- EK Verbal 101
- TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook or Berkeley Review Verbal
- AAMC Full Length (FL) #3-5 and 7-11 (AAMC #6 is not available at the moment)

You're using EK Bio for content review and BR Bio for passages. If you need more detail during in your content review, refer to BR Bio.

You can pick up the BR books from their website: http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/home-study.html
Also, check out the For Sale section on here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=230 All of the above, except for the AAMC FLs show up from time to time. I've regularly seen a complete BR set go for under $100 on there. Whenever you buy used, MAKE SURE THE PASSAGES ARE UNMARKED.

To buy the AAMC FLs: http://www.e-mcat.com/

Bare Minimum Set-up:

$245 for AAMC FLs (http://www.e-mcat.com/)

$240 for BR Physics, O-chem, Gen Chem, Biology (http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/home-study.html)

$26 for EK Verbal 101 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-MCAT101-Passages-Verbal-Reasoning/dp/1893858553)

$30 EK Bio (Amazon product)

Prices vary on TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook, search the For Sale forum on here for copies. They regularly show up. You should be able to get one for under $50.

Total = $541 + TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook

Set-up with EK 1001:

$18 EK Physics 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-MCAT-Physics/dp/1893858189)

$20 EK O-Chem 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-Organic-Chemistry/dp/1893858197)

$19 EK Chem 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-MCAT-Chemistry/dp/1893858227)

Total = $598 + TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook

Possible Book Replacements:

If you're having a hard time finding the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook, BR is an okay replacement. Well, there's not much of a choice left. Again, I HIGHLY recommend you hunt down the TPRH Verbal Workbook.

TPRH is a great choice for content review in all subjects, however, you still need the BR books and EK 101 Verbal for their practice passages. TPRH does not have enough practice passages, though the Workbooks are still great resources.

A Little Bit more about TPRH books:

If you're looking for the Science or Verbal Workbooks, your best bet is through the For Sale forum on here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=230

You can also find the full TPRH set in the For Sale. People usually sell the whole set together.

If you want the content books, they're available on Amazon.

Yes, these books are the same as the TPRH content review books. The only difference is that these books, unlike the class content review books, contain some practice passages. I believe it's 3-4 passages per chapter. It's not enough to just stick with these books and some FLs, but it's nice to have a few passages thrown in.

About the EK 1001 series:

It is a good idea to get the complete EK 1001 series. I thought they really helped me nail down my understanding of the various topics. Through using the physics especially, I found that I didn't understand some things as well as I would like. Furthermore, for whatever reason, they helped me visualize the problem in my head and made the equations intuitive to use.
Too many people neglect their basic understanding which could be bolstered by EK 1001. They think they have a strong grasp, yet when those fundumentals are tested, one's weaknesses become more apparent. Plus, doing more timed practice problems is always a good thing.

The only negative for the non-bio and VR practice books is that they aren't in the right format (unless you think of them as tons of discretes).
However, it is significantly easier to spot your content weaknesses with EK 1001 because they aren't passages. You don't have to worry about if you messed up due to a failure to synthesize multiple ideas or the passage was worded strangely. When you mess up on EK 1001, you know it's due to a content weakness. Lastly, this problem would be alleviated by the BR books and EK content books containing practice passages. There are also the practice tests that you will be taking.
I suggest you get the above materials 1-2 months in advance! It takes awhile to get your BR books! You don't want to be missing your materials when you're about to start this schedule. Also, older content review books are usually okay, just don't go too far back (past 5 years old).
Lastly, sign up for your MCAT as soon as possible. Seats fill up months in advance.

Timing:

- ALWAYS complete your practice problems under TIMED conditions
- For BR passages: 6-7 minutes per passage, work towards 6 minutes
- For the EK 30-minute exams….well 30 minutes
- EK 1001, except Bio series: 30 seconds to 1 minute per question
- EK Verbal 101/TPR Verbal: 6-7 minutes per passage, work towards 6 minutes
- AAMC FLs: Use their timing

Notes:

- Do NOT retake old practice material
- Thoroughly review ALL of your practice problems. Review your problems the day AFTER you take them. Don't even look at the answers until then. If there's a break day, review your problems on the day after your break.
- Remember to round like crazy for any math problem
- Always use process of elimination with your answer choices
- Before you begin this schedule, count the number of verbal practice passages (101 from EK + however many in the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook). Divide the number of passages by 70 (total days - the number of break days AND FL days). That number is the number of verbal passages you should be taking per day. I'm hoping that number breaks down to at least 3 passages per day. Ideally, you should take 4-5 verbal passages per assigned day. You do NOT take verbal passages on break days OR FL days.
- If you don't want to get the EK 1001 series, spread out the second 1/3 of BR practice passages over 2 days. Again, I recommend you get the EK 1001 books that are listed.
- If your practice test score is not within your target range after 2-3 tests, you should consider delaying. If you delay, go over your weaknesses again and complete an in-depth analysis of what went wrong.
- If you have enough money, you could adjust the schedule to fit in more practice tests. I didn't include that many to keep the cost down.
- If your test is in the morning and you're not a morning person, start getting used to waking up early when you start taking practice tests.
- Try to practice under as realistic as possible conditions when you take your practice tests. In other words: wake up early enough to be able to drive to your center; eat a meal you would eat before a test; follow the proper timing; and if you're really into it, you could even drive around for about the same time it would take you to get to your test center.

General Guidelines for Reviewing:

- Go over EVERY question. Both the ones you got right and the ones you got wrong.
- Reviewing should take 2-3 times longer than taking the timed practice problems.
- If your tests are fluctuating, it is due to the different topics on the various tests. In other words, you have some glaring weaknesses that when targeted, nail you, badly. You have to find out what those weaknesses are because they are evident by your scores. Do NOT dismiss any wrong answer as a "stupid mistake." You made that error for a reason. Go over your tests again.
- You might want to consider making a log for all of your post test results where you work through the questions below. Doing so, you'll be able to easily notice trends.

Some things to go over when reviewing:

1. Why did you get the question wrong? Why did you get the question right?
2. What question and passage types get you?
3. How is your mindset when facing a particular passage?
4. Are you stressed for time?
5. Where are your mistakes happening the most? Are they front loaded? Are they at the end? All over?
6. What was your thought process for both the questions you got right and the ones you got wrong?
7. For verbal, what was the author's mindset and main idea?
8. Did you eliminate all of the answer choices you could from first glance?
ex. You know an answer should be a positive number so you cross out all of the negative number answer choices.
9. What content areas are you weak in?
10. Why are the wrong answers wrong and the right answer right?
11. How can you improve so you don't make the same mistake again?

Hat Trick:

Get a hat and write every single MCAT PS and BS topic onto a piece of paper. Then, when you're ready to practice PS, put all the PS topics into the hat. Draw two or three pieces of paper and connect the topics together. In addition to connecting them, come up with what a passage might look like and what kind of questions you might get. If you can't do this, go back and review each of the three sections. Rinse and repeat.

The hat trick days are important because they aid you in synthesizing the various topics together. On the MCAT, you utilize this skill for every passage because MCAT passages combine topics. Furthermore, you may also discover content weaknesses that you will need to go over.

PS Topic List: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85562/data/ps_topics.pdf
BS Topic List: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85566/data/bstopics.pdf
Page to get topic lists if you don't want to directly download the pdf: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/preparing

Here's a rough example using Distillation, Mendelian Genetics, and Lipids:

You are studying a Mendelian inherited recessive genetic defect of a lipid receptor. A defect in this receptor prevents the uptake lipids in the body and can cause several negative effects, such as, atherosclerosis due to fat build-up in arterial walls.

To test for the concentration of lipids in a patient's blood, you design a distillation experiment.

1. Given a couple where the male is Ll and the female is ll, what is the chance the child will have the defect?

2. What kind of solvent should you use to test the concentration of lipids?

3. What type patient would have the highest boiling point elevation?

4. If the trait exhibited incomplete dominance, which patient is likely to be Ll? Boiling point information here.

5. Which cell component requires lipids?

Verbal Help:

Check out Vihsadas's verbal guide and the other guides found in the MCAT Guide sticky
Vihsadas's Guide: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6022602&postcount=96
MCAT Guide Sticky: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602154

Arithmetic Tricks:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=528674&highlight=Arithmetic Tips Tricks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 47 users
SN2ed, i think your study plan has huge flaws, mainly in one point: take all tests under timed conditions.

this is entirely wrong. i especially stress taking verbal passages under NON-timed conditions until you feel that you are comfortable with everything and can answer questions quickly.

what benefits do students get when they can't complete 1/3 of the questions, then get the answers presented to then right after? none.

again, i stress this for verbal mainly. if youre messing up on verbal, you should literally spend a huge chunk of time analyzing passages until you SEE the right answers. the right answer is always there. once you are comfortable scanning passages for information correctly pertinent to questions, then you should begin timed tests.

SN2ed, i think your study plan has huge flaws, mainly in one point: take all tests under timed conditions.

this is entirely wrong. i especially stress taking verbal passages under NON-timed conditions until you feel that you are comfortable with everything and can answer questions quickly.

what benefits do students get when they can't complete 1/3 of the questions, then get the answers presented to then right after? none.

again, i stress this for verbal mainly. if youre messing up on verbal, you should literally spend a huge chunk of time analyzing passages until you SEE the right answers. the right answer is always there. once you are comfortable scanning passages for information correctly pertinent to questions, then you should begin timed tests.

If you got questions wrong, you shouldn't be looking at solutions yet. If you're doing a set of passages, you're not going to remember the sequence of correct answers. Simply write down the incorrect ones and redo them AFTER without being timed. It's the post-game analysis that matters most. That's where you're going to improve. Doing it under timed conditions from the beginning prevents poor pacing habits from developing. You shouldn't be rushing on an entire 1/3 of the questions. If you had problems with this, you, of all people, needed to take them timed from the beginning. Now, I wouldn't suggest beginning at 6 min/passage. I'd probably start at 8 (since the real thing gives you about a bit more than 8/passage). Work down to 7. If you can get to 6 and maintain accuracy, that's even better!

I still have a few more months before I want to start the 4 month/3month verbal plan
What is a good philosophy book to read? You note eastern and western compilation?
and I searched and it seemed like you did happen to mention it in your FAQ but you took it down.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I still have a few more months before I want to start the 4 month/3month verbal plan
What is a good philosophy book to read? You note eastern and western compilation?
and I searched and it seemed like you did happen to mention it in your FAQ but you took it down.

Thanks

The book I originally recommended got insanely expensive. It went from a few dollars used to over $100. I'm glad I didn't sell that book back to the school ;) though I won't be selling it. The book is titled Moral Issues in Global Perspective. Initially it was all one book, now I think it's a series.

Anyway, just try to find a compilation of some of the big western or eastern philosophers like Descartes, Kant, Rawls, Confucius, Zhuangzi etc.

Updated the first four posts to include posts of people that have used my schedule.

Sn2ed, first of all, thanks for the amazing schedule!!

I have a quick question: Using your schedule, can I substitute EK 1001 days (Day 6, 15, 23...) with TPRH dicretes and passages? Will that substitution be okay?

Hi,

I have a few questions:

1. How do you suggest doing the actual studying when reading the chapters? Do you think highlighting, taking notes, etc. is a good idea? What's a good method in your opinion?

2. I've heard that the Princeton Review Hyperlearning Science Workbook is also good. Is there anyway to incorporate that into the schedule? I'm guessing on the EK 1001/Re-reading days? Would you also do every 1/3 passage or something for the book?

3. When you say to do EK 1001 in your schedule, does that include the EK 1001 Bio book? If not then where does it go in your schedule since you say to buy it in your first post?

4. What do you think of Audio Osmosis and do you think it would be helpful to listen to it after the EK Bio Chapters?

5. For the last part of the schedule when you list to complete the last third of the BR passages, why do you list them for two days? For example:

Day 72: Review FL + 1/3 Chapter 4
Day 73: Review FL + 1/3 Chapter 4

Why is 1/3 Chapter 4 listed for both days?

6. I am a non-trad that works 20 hours a week in a lab. Typically I work from 9 AM to 1 PM in the afternoon. The rest of the day is free and I live with my folks. Do you think I can complete the 3 month schedule?

7. How many hours a day should a typical non-FL day study session take?

Thanks.

Last edited:
sorry, kinda busy right now, but you could probably answer all those questions using the search box. The last section of his guide says review. Since you would have just finished the last 1/3, I think the 1/3 refers to review the first 1/3 of that chapter the first day and the second 1/3 the next. Since working 20 hours is a part time job, he's probably going to paste the section of his guide that says don't do this schedule with a full schedule.

5. For the last part of the schedule when you list to complete the last third of the BR passages, why do you list them for two days? For example:

Day 72: Review FL + 1/3 Chapter 4
Day 73: Review FL + 1/3 Chapter 4

Why is 1/3 Chapter 4 listed for both days?

6. I am a non-trad that works 20 hours a week in a lab. Typically I work from 9 AM to 1 PM in the afternoon. The rest of the day is free and I live with my folks. Do you think I can complete the 3 month schedule?

7. How many hours a day should a typical non-FL day study session take?

Thanks.

Ravupadh,

For the last 1/3, the first day I have been completing the last 1/3 of the passages for the chapter, then the next day I will review them and go over any of the chapter I need to. It seems to work for me.

As far as the working part time, I also work part time in the afternoons. I have my mornings devoted to studying and usually spend at least 3 hours (I am using the 4-month plan). I will admit there have been a few days I haven't had time to finish what I needed to. Usually if this happens, I just have to move on the next day. It's not ideal but it has worked pretty well for me. I would just suggest using the 4-month plan. Hope this helps some.

This may be a stupid question, but I don't understand what you mean by "discretes". I have the BR books open in front of me, and all I see are some example questions within each chapter (which you say in the first post to do while reading the chapter) and passages at the end of the chapters (which you say to do 1/3 of according to the schedule). But what are discretes? Are they stand-alone questions? If so, where in the book are there any such stand-alone questions? Can someone please elaborate on what this is asap...

Thanks,

I can't wait to start this study method! This has really gave me hope in pursuit of my dream. I have been glued for hours just reading everyone's posts and testimonies. I will be starting in the middle of May to allow buffer time for September. I plan to take the test Septembe 10th. I will definitely post my results. I'm so excited, I think I will buy the BR books brand new today. Thanks SN2!

I can't wait to start this study method! This has really gave me hope in pursuit of my dream. I have been glued for hours just reading everyone's posts and testimonies. I will be starting in the middle of May to allow buffer time for September. I plan to take the test Septembe 10th. I will definitely post my results. I'm so excited, I think I will buy the BR books brand new today. Thanks SN2!

Just be aware that the BR books take some time to arrive because it takes 4 days for them to process your payment (10 days if it's a check) and then another 5-6 days for it to get to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
ssrap: I'm not sure if that's a good swap. Don't get me wrong, TPRH SW is great and you should use it. However, it's not what I was going for with the EK 1001. The reason why I liked EK 1001 is because, as you've read thousands of times, it's good for the basics. They aren't like passages or, to a lesser extent, discretes where you could get caught up in the question itself. EK 1001 is testing straight content knowledge.

ravupadh:

1. Whatever works best for you to take in the information. At this point, you've probably read plenty of chapters and have a good idea what works when reading science chapters.

2. You could work on them whenever you do a 1/3 of BR's passages. Another option is to use them only when you take the last 1/3 BR passages in the final month. That way you'd have extra practice for whatever weaknesses you have left. Kind of like a trump card. Plus, passage practice is critical in the final month.

3. It does NOT include EK Bio 1001. I thought I erased all the EK Bio 1001 stuff from the first four posts. I'll do that later....Anyway, don't get EK Bio 1001. It's just not good for the current MCAT.

4. AO is a decent supplement, but in no way necessary. If you want to use it, here's what I suggest. Be an active listener. Don't listen to it while you drive or something passive like that. Whenever you listen, try to visualize in your head what's going on. Run through all of the processes they're talking about. This may help you gain an intuitive grasp of the material.

5. So you have two days to finish everything. It's a good amount of work to accomplish. Remember, you're doing some heavy post-practice review for both your test AND your BR passages. Another reason is that you don't want to pile on too much and burnout in that last month.

6. From my experience, most people have a tough time and can't accomplish it. This schedule is pretty intense at times.

7. Times are FAR too variable to give any estimate. The only guidelines I have are for taking practice passages and roughly how long your post-practice review should take.

mtau: Some of the newer BR books have discretes which is why I added that. If you don't have them, don't worry about it.

Thanks! One last question. Those 10 questions posted under general guidlines for reviewing: Are those supposed to be used when you review after a FL or after a 1/3 BR set or both?

EDIT: Now that I'm almost a week into the schedule, I'm having some concern with TBR passages. A lot of the passages seem to derive questions from topics that weren't even presented in the chapter. An entire passage in the first chapter was devoted to how the spin of a projectile can alter it's curviture, when this wasn't even presented in the chapter text. Also, some of the passage questions themselves are insanely abstract and difficult, whereas the examples presented in the chapter text are relatively straightforward and easy once you know what methodology to use. What gives?

Last edited:
Hey Sn2ed,

Why not use EK 1001 Bio? What I mean is, will it effect me negatively to use the Bio? If I do decide to use it, any words of wisdom, cautions, insights about using this book that I should keep in mind?

Thanks

Thanks! One last question. Those 10 questions posted under general guidlines for reviewing: Are those supposed to be used when you review after a FL or after a 1/3 BR set or both?

EDIT: Now that I'm almost a week into the schedule, I'm having some concern with TBR passages. A lot of the passages seem to derive questions from topics that weren't even presented in the chapter. An entire passage in the first chapter was devoted to how the spin of a projectile can alter it's curviture, when this wasn't even presented in the chapter text. Also, some of the passage questions themselves are insanely abstract and difficult, whereas the examples presented in the chapter text are relatively straightforward and easy once you know what methodology to use. What gives?

Welcome to the MCAT, a test that tests how you think not what you can memorize.

3. It does NOT include EK Bio 1001. I thought I erased all the EK Bio 1001 stuff from the first four posts. I'll do that later....Anyway, don't get EK Bio 1001. It's just not good for the current MCAT.

Dear SN2ed,

I bought all of the materials quite a while ago when you must have had the EK Bio + EK Bio 1001 combo rather than the EK Bio + BR Bio combo. I am just now getting ready to start the three-month plan. Has the MCAT really changed that much in the last 1+ years that it would be worth it for me to dump the EK Bio 1001 and replace it with the BR Bio or would it not really make a difference? I'm just wondering since you had us using EK Bio 1001 previously.

Thank you so much for everything you do! :)

well, if he took it off the guide, then it probably has. He doesn't even recommend ek1001 bio as a supplement anymore. same with gs cbts

Hi SN2ed!

I'm beyond excited to start studying at the end of this month :)

Like Ahmed786, I'm feeling like I'll need more than the 7 AAMC tests to feel confident/prepared for the test....:oops:

SO! I've decided to buy all 7 The Berkeley Review exams---Except I need your advice on an "activation" date....

I'm planning to follow the 4 month plan as well---but given your advice below I should follow the 3 month plan and add my 7 additional exams to the 4th month?

My question is: do you recommend I activate my TBR exams beginning the 1st day of the 3rd month and not touch the AAMC FL's until the 4th month? Or do it the other way around?

I'm nervous about this activation stuff since I'll be out $200 if I don't plan this out well :(

My Mcat test date is Sept 8, 2011

um and I don't understand what this means from your previous post: "The only adjustment to this is that you can spread out the review problems over 2 months instead of one month"--review problems from the FL's or from the books i'll be using to study from?

Thanks!!!
You're the bombdiggity :D

Ahmed786: You'll basically want to follow the three month schedule, then add on the last month similar to the 4 month schedule. The only adjustment to this is that you can spread out the review problems over 2 months instead of one month.

I'm not doing the SN2ED schedule, but I am using all the tbr exams in addition to the AAMC's so I just want to point out something.

There are two ways you can go about doing things.

1) Do content review while doing timed passages and do exams after
2) Do content review while doing timed passages and doing practice exams

There is also a third way of doing content review and then doing practice after, but that's a bad idea and not mentioned.

If you do 1, you enter your practice exams not really knowing how things connect on exams. The passages are good, but they aren't going to emulate sitting down for an entire test and being hit with something you don't know at all (more likely if you haven't finished content review).

I'm doing #2, though I started to slack on doing timed passages and ramped up the exams instead. Don't slack on the passages. Then again, I only have EK, so there aren't many passages to speak of to begin with. I have since picked up TPR for the sciences to add more passages.

In any event, I started doing exams early and took AAMC 3 and 4 in the first month of studying and switched to tbr exams in the 2nd month. I'm currently taking 2 tbr exams a week, and will switch to taking 2 aamc exams a week 3.5 weeks before my exam (have 6 left).

You just have to realize that if you're NOT done content review when you start taking TBR exams (or any exams), then you're going to have deflated scores. This is fine and you shouldn't freak out over it. You SHOULD 100% finish your content review before getting to the AAMC's or you're 'wasting' the exams.

I like doing things this way because I feel that I'm getting a great idea of how to time myself during the exams and I'm only halfway through the tbr exams, but I already find myself finishing in time or having a minute or two to spare.

As always doing tons of post test analysis is important and you should be brushing up on stuff you get wrong or realize that you don't understand as well as you were hoping when you get into the final month of using only AAMC's. An additional source of practice passages/questions in the final month when you're done content review is helpful in addition to doing the aamc's. This is where EK1001 comes in handy to make sure you're keeping your content knowledge fresh (as ek1001 tests only basic content).

Sorry for the long post.

Around how much time will I be spending every day if I follow this program? I am planning on taking MCAT this september and was planning on studying over the summer using this 3 month program. I am also getting a research opportunity which requires about 35 hours a week. Will I be able to study for mcats using this program if I get that research position? Acing the mcats is priority.

SN2ed

What is your opinion on integrating Kaplan materials like topical and sectional tests in the 3 month schedule. Could they possibly work like TPR workbook? Additionally, what is your advice on using the FL's provided with the Kaplan course. I plan on using TBR PS and GC along with All EK, Kaplan and TPR materials. I do have alot of materials, so I am trying to find a way of integrating the best from each to use with your 3 month schedule. Any advice would be appreciated!

SN2ed

What is your opinion on integrating Kaplan materials like topical and sectional tests in the 3 month schedule. Could they possibly work like TPR workbook? Additionally, what is your advice on using the FL's provided with the Kaplan course. I plan on using TBR PS and GC along with All EK, Kaplan and TPR materials. I do have alot of materials, so I am trying to find a way of integrating the best from each to use with your 3 month schedule. Any advice would be appreciated!

I didn't follow SN2's schedule, but I thought Kaplan's topicals were fantastic. You should try to work in most of them.

This thread is so awesome! I'm just starting the 3 month schedule and this thread has really given me a great sense of direction. I tried searching the thread, but I wanted to clarify when the post test analysis and review are incorporated into the schedule. In addition to the assigned chapter and corresponding passages, you are also doing 4-5 verbal passages AND reviewing the previous day's passages, right?

For example, the phrases in parentheses are the additional verbal passage and post analysis reviews in conjunction with the schedule:

Day 15: Re-read chapters from Days 9-13 + EK 1001 for Days 9-13 + EK Bio In-class exam
(+ 5 verbal passages + Day 14 passage review + Day 14 previous verbal passage review?)

Day 16: Complete second 1/3 of BR passages
(+ 5 verbal passages + EK 1001 passage review + EK Bio exam review + Day 15 previous verbal passage review?)

Day 17: BR O-Chem Chapter #3 + 1/3
(+ 5 verbal passages + 2nd 1/3 BR passage review + Day 16 previous verbal passage review?)

Day 18: EK Bio Chapter #3 + 1/3
(+ 5 verbal passages + Ochem 1/3 BR passage review + Day 17 previous verbal passage review?)

Sorry if it's an obvious question, but thanks for your help!

Yes each day should also include verbal passages and review of whatever questions you did the previous day.

These passages are really hard. My average score for the passages is a little over 60%... What am I doing wrong? I've only gotten a perfect score on one passage. Granted all I want is a 33 but I'd at least be able to get 80% correct.. should I just keep practicing more and hope that I improve?

I will have exactly 3 months to prepare for the MCAT. That means, I don't have much flexibility in adding more CBT's even though I have several extra available. I have extra exams for TPR, 11 for Kaplan and all the AAMC ones. I know that SN2ed only focuses on the AAMC ones.

Do any of you guys have any advice on how to include more CBT's in the 3 months plan?

Also, I have materials available for BR (PS and GC), All Kaplan+topical/sectionals, AllTPR+4exams and the sci and verbal workbooks and ExamKrackers+ all 1001's. I DON"T think I have time to use all these with SN2ed plan. What do you guys think? Are any of these materials able to be included successfully in the 3 month plan? If so, how and when?

I know that practice and CBT's are key, but I do need strong content review in PS and GC. Any advice would be appreciated based on your experience with the 3 month plan which seems pretty organized and holistic.

Thanks!

I will have exactly 3 months to prepare for the MCAT. That means, I don't have much flexibility in adding more CBT's even though I have several extra available. I have extra exams for TPR, 11 for Kaplan and all the AAMC ones. I know that SN2ed only focuses on the AAMC ones.

Do any of you guys have any advice on how to include more CBT's in the 3 months plan?

Also, I have materials available for BR (PS and GC), All Kaplan+topical/sectionals, AllTPR+4exams and the sci and verbal workbooks and ExamKrackers+ all 1001's. I DON"T think I have time to use all these with SN2ed plan. What do you guys think? Are any of these materials able to be included successfully in the 3 month plan? If so, how and when?

I know that practice and CBT's are key, but I do need strong content review in PS and GC. Any advice would be appreciated based on your experience with the 3 month plan which seems pretty organized and holistic.

Thanks!

Here's SN2ED's ranking for the CBT's.
How would you rank the FLs?

In terms of easily accessible tests (tests that are available to non-class MCAT studiers), BR is your best bet.

When considering all four, unlike MCAT prep books, I don't think the agreement on practice test ranking is that strong. Most tend to agree that the later AAMC tests are the best, but beyond that, there isn't much of a consensus. There's even an argument to be made that the AAMCs are only really good for verbal since there are more accurate CBTs in regards to the sciences. Despite this, your first priority should be to take all of the AAMC FLs in order from 3 to 11

1. AAMC #7-11
2. BR #1-7
3. Kaplan #1-6
4. AAMC #3-5
5. TPR
6. Kaplan #7-10/GS

The reason why TPR tests are so low is because the opinions are too mixed to gain a good read.

just freshly finished Organic and it's prob my best subject. can i skip the br organic and just do the EK instead since Br tends to be more detailed?

Last question :laugh: : For the schedule when you say do every 1/3 passage for each chapter, do you want us to grade and review those passages the same day or the next day? I didn't get that so it would be awesome if you could explain.

Last edited:
I'm a non-traditional student with Physics II and Orgo II left to take for my pre-reqs. I don't know how somebody can completely comprehend a FULL lecture in either the BR or EK books in only one day or sitting.

I'm giving myself a full year to study (and re-study) all of the material while doing the questions. It really is madness trying to attempt all this within three months. It's best to study at YOUR OWN PACE, not what somebody else recommends. Sure, it's nice to have a study schedule mapped out that looks good on paper, but does it really fit YOU? You all need to ask yourselves that and tailor it to how you see fit.

SN2ed

Your schedule looks amazing, I'm about to order my books and I noticed that before you had the EK 1001 Bio as a must buy because of the passages but now you don't recommend it. What changed? Is it the newer versions that aren't good? Would you recommend getting an older one? I want to make sure I'm not missing anything necessary. Thank you so much!

I am going to start studying in June and I will be ordering books from berkeley review this week.
I do not need the BR biology for the 3-month schedule, right? I will be reading from either EK bio or TPR bio and will be doing practice questions from EK bio and from EK 1001bio only, right?
Please let me know so I don't end up wasting extra $60 on the bio book.

I am going to start studying in June and I will be ordering books from berkeley review this week.
I do not need the BR biology for the 3-month schedule, right? I will be reading from either EK bio or TPR bio and will be doing practice questions from EK bio and from EK 1001bio only, right?

This. This is a question I'd love answered please!

Is EK 1001 bio an "okay" substitute for BR bio questions? That's what it was before.

I do not need the BR biology for the 3-month schedule, right? I will be reading from either EK bio or TPR bio and will be doing practice questions from EK bio and from EK 1001 bio only, right?

As far as I've understood: We have to buy the BR Bio for the practice passages. The EK Bio's passages are too easy and the book has too many errors so it is the only one we don't buy from the 1001 series. The EK bio was previously recommended but that changed. I don't know why.

In the last topic of post #3 (When should I send my primary application and any tips?), do you mean "junior year" instead of "senior year"?

As far as I've understood: We have to buy the BR Bio for the practice passages. The EK Bio's passages are too easy and the book has too many errors so it is the only one we don't buy from the 1001 series. The EK bio was previously recommended but that changed. I don't know why.

EK Bio's passages are too easy? I beg to differ...and 1001 is really great for review work (better than BR in some respects). Some of BR's bio passages are too difficult, and they test you on certain content specifics that have a 0.03% chance of actually being tested on the MCAT. So pick your poison...I personally think that EK is the better prep series for content, and BR is ok for practicing your reading comp skills.

Over-preparing and being hit with content that won't be on the MCAT is such a waste of time and synaptic firings, it's not even funny. It's better to be as direct as possible (i.e. what you must know vs. what you don't have to know).

Great job everyone. Glad I could do a little to help.

The more practice the better as long as you don't skimp on the post-test review which is the most important aspect of taking a FL. If you want to add some, extend the schedule slightly. Maybe add BR 1-3 to AAMC 3-11.

Yeah you really have to have a book with passages. BR offers the best and TPRH is next up with their science workbook which is tough to get. Again, BR easily offers the top bio passages and I really would pick it up. EK 1001 is another option, but it's FAR too easy and doesn't resemble the current MCAT very well. Also, it shouldn't take too long to get BR bio and you could buy from a private seller in the For Sale forum. I just have a hard time recommending EK 1001 Bio.

If you have some money, you could buy EK 1001 Bio now while you order BR Bio. That way you'd have some practice passages in the meantime.

I said as far as I've understood. Which comes from reading this post. I haven't looked at EK 1001 Bio so I'm not personally commenting on it.

SN2ed,

I have the BR for physics, gen chem and orgo. I don't have it for bio, but I DO have the EK bio, EK1001 bio, TPR bio and TPR science workbook. Are you saying this should be sufficient for my biology content review? What is your advice on integrating the TPR workbooks in the 3 month plan for each day?

Further, how would you recommend integrating some kaplan sectionals, topicals and FL's in to your 3 month plan?

1. As I live in Canada, it is almost impossible to get ahold of BR stuff used. Should I just substitute PR for the BR materials?

2. Should I take the PR online verbal course along with the 3 month schedule? I consistently score 6 on VR and it has tanked my application for the past 2 years.

3. Should I take the total princeton review course or the SDN schedule? I think that the PR course has access to online PR CBT tests that are not otherwise accessible, is this correct?

*Update 23 Apr; I just decided to order the TBR science books and to do the 3-month schedule. Also considering TPRH online verbal course.

Thanks,

Research3r

Last edited:
1. As I live in Canada, it is almost impossible to get ahold of BR stuff used. Should I just substitute PR for the BR materials?

2. Should I take the PR online verbal course along with the 3 month schedule? I consistently score 6 on VR and it has tanked my application for the past 2 years.

3. Should I take the total princeton review course or the SDN schedule? I think that the PR course has access to online PR CBT tests that are not otherwise accessible, is this correct?

Thanks,

Research3r

What were the scores for the rest of the MCAT sections, and how was your GPA and extracurricular stuff?

This was probably answered somewhere in this ginormous thread, but why should we not use EK Bio 1001?

Also, I want to use BR Bio for my content, and not use EK Bio content at all. The reason is, I am a bit paranoid, lol. So, replacing all the EK Bio chapters with BR Bio chapters would work right? I guess what I am asking is, is there any benefit of having the EK Bio book? If I didn't have it, then I couldn't do their 30 minute exams, but then again, BR Bio has a lot of practice.

Thanks for your help!

This was probably answered somewhere in this ginormous thread, but why should we not use EK Bio 1001?

Also, I want to use BR Bio for my content, and not use EK Bio content at all. The reason is, I am a bit paranoid, lol. So, replacing all the EK Bio chapters with BR Bio chapters would work right? I guess what I am asking is, is there any benefit of having the EK Bio book? If I didn't have it, then I couldn't do their 30 minute exams, but then again, BR Bio has a lot of practice.

Thanks for your help!

From what I've read on SDN, one or two people have said that EK Bio 1001 is "loaded" with errors. I have yet to find any, but I just started working though section 1. No errors so far, so I don't know what they're talking about. Maybe if they actually listed the specific errors, then I'd believe them. I'll keep you posted as I work further through the book.

As for studying the content, I'd always refer back to the AAMC content outline. BR Bio goes way overboard with the content, but if you REALLY want to feed your paranoia, take a look at the section on metabolic pathways. You do NOT have to memorize every single thing in that chapter lol. Doing that is worthless for the MCAT. EK Bio is better by far for content, and EK has the necessary stuff on evolution (which BR Bio has absolutely nothing on, except for a few sentences on convergent/divergent evolution).

Thanks for the reply PD187540. That's a good thing you mentioned which I totally forgot about for a while, the AAMC outline, lol. I need to take a look at that again come this summer.

The funny thing is I learned all that stuff in the metabolic pathways chapter from my class, Metabolic Pathways, so I know it; but I guess that won't do me any good. I have got to get over this insecurity and nervousness.

For anyone,

Just wondering if there was a variation of this study plan for people who want to take a MCAT Prep course + want to use this study plan as well? I plan on taking a Princeton Review prep course and would like to know how to couple this study plan with that prep course. Any insight would be great, thanks!

Thanks for the reply PD187540. That's a good thing you mentioned which I totally forgot about for a while, the AAMC outline, lol. I need to take a look at that again come this summer.

The funny thing is I learned all that stuff in the metabolic pathways chapter from my class, Metabolic Pathways, so I know it; but I guess that won't do me any good. I have got to get over this insecurity and nervousness.

No prob Burgh. Definitely use that AAMC outline as your guideline. I'm going to take the MCAT next year and apply to med school for the 2013 entering class, but I'm starting to study for it NOW lol.

It is a pain in the ***, and I think the test-makers want to psychologically make you insecure in order to already weed out the potential applicants very early on. Clever move on their part, but I'm onto them like butter on a roll! My attitude towards this test is very gung-ho with fierce aggression mixed in, and regardless of what I get on it next year, I'm STILL applying to Ivy League med schools and what-not. I just see the MCAT as a mere thorn in the application process, and once you take the test, the thorn is finally removed and you can breathe a sigh of relief.

Day 1: BR Physics Chapter #1 + Every third passage of the corresponding passages for this chapter (i.e. go through 1, 4, 7, 10 for first 1/3 and 2, 5, 8 for the second 1/3 on Day 8). 1/3 of corresponding passages = 1/3 from now on. Also, complete every 1/3 of the discretes each time you work through 1/3 of the passages. In other words, when you take passages #1, 4, 7, 10, take discrete # 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, etc. For the questions in the chapter reading itself, work through them as you read the chapter.

Hey SN2ed, I just started this schedule, but I can't seem to find any discretes in the BR book. Where can I find these discretes?

Status
Not open for further replies.