Breaking Down the MCAT: A 3 Month MCAT Study Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Written by SN2ed.

Downloadable MCAT Calendar iCAL and XML versions: http://www.studentdoctor.net/3-month-mcat-study-schedule/
(Click the events for more details)

Everyone please keep the questions to this strategy AND READ ALL OF THE FIRST FOUR POSTS.

Do NOT start this schedule late. You will burnout. There have already been numerous posts & threads on people starting late, trying to rush through the material, and burning out quickly.
Check the Update log in the last post for any changes.

I noticed that some people are claiming they wrote this guide to scam people out of money. Let me make this clear, I have not and will not be selling anything related to this guide. If you see a poster trying to sell books saying they wrote this schedule, do NOT buy from them. They are attempting to take your money away on false pretenses. Additionally, this guide has only been and should only be posted on SDN. I have not posted this guide anywhere else. Furthermore, SDN is the sole MCAT/medical forum I visit and the only forum where I use the screen name SN2ed. I never imagined this thread would be popular enough to warrant this kind of attention. The contents of this thread (and any other on SDN) cannot be replicated and re-hosted on any other forum, blog, or website without prior consent of both the author and SDN.
Make sure you read ALL of the opening posts, including the FAQ, before posting questions.

To begin with, check out these two threads:

Why Diagnostics are Worthless: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=557231

MCAT and a Heavy School Workload Don't Mix: Stop rushing to take the MCAT:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602186

Can I accomplish this schedule with a part-time job or school?

Very unlikely. I highly recommend you devote 3 months to the MCAT. There may be a few that could follow this schedule and work part-time, but chances are it would not end well. You are FAR more likely to burn out if you try to study for the MCAT using this schedule and go to school or take a part/full-time job.

Furthermore, I've yet to see a valid reason for students (ie. not non-trads) to not take the MCAT in the summer.

Will following this guide guarantee me a +30?

Sadly, there are no guarantees on the MCAT. I certainly hope it helps you, but I can't say whether or not you'll hit your target score.

Should I take the MCAT before finishing my pre-reqs?

There's no point in doing so. You have to take them anyway. Hence, you might as well go into the test with your pre-reqs completed. Yes, this includes the English pre-req.

Any tips for retakers?

Check out the thread I made on the subject: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=754682

Remember to check out the third and fourth post FAQ.

Anything else before I start?

CONFIDENCE. Through all of the troubles and hardships you'll face, approach everything with confidence. You must constantly attack this test. The MCAT is merely a stepping stone on your journey.

Also, this is just a guide I made up. It is my opinion on what a study schedule should resemble. I'm sure there will be people that disagree with parts of this schedule or the whole thing. This schedule can easily be adjusted for 4 months instead of 3. I don't suggest starting heavy studying 5 months+ from your test date. Keep it to 3-4 months. If you start too soon, it will be a waste of time and resources.

Remember to use the search function on these forums. Tons of questions have already been asked and answered.
Lastly, please give credit to me, SN2ed, if you post this elsewhere. I put a ton of work into it.

Materials:

- Berkeley Review (BR) General Chemistry
- BR Organic Chemistry
- Examkrackers (EK) Biology for non-detailed approach OR The Princeton Review Hyperlearning (TPR) Biology/BR Biology for a detailed approach (In the schedule, I will use EK Bio because most prefer a non-detailed approach)
- BR Bio
- BR Physics
- EK 1001 series, excluding EK 1001 Bio (i.e. do NOT buy EK 1001 Bio)
- EK Verbal 101
- TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook or Berkeley Review Verbal
- AAMC Full Length (FL) #3-5 and 7-11 (AAMC #6 is not available at the moment)

You're using EK Bio for content review and BR Bio for passages. If you need more detail during in your content review, refer to BR Bio.

You can pick up the BR books from their website: http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/home-study.html
Also, check out the For Sale section on here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=230 All of the above, except for the AAMC FLs show up from time to time. I've regularly seen a complete BR set go for under $100 on there. Whenever you buy used, MAKE SURE THE PASSAGES ARE UNMARKED.

To buy the AAMC FLs: http://www.e-mcat.com/

Bare Minimum Set-up:

$245 for AAMC FLs (http://www.e-mcat.com/)

$240 for BR Physics, O-chem, Gen Chem, Biology (http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/home-study.html)

$26 for EK Verbal 101 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-MCAT101-Passages-Verbal-Reasoning/dp/1893858553)

$30 EK Bio (Amazon product)

Prices vary on TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook, search the For Sale forum on here for copies. They regularly show up. You should be able to get one for under $50.

Total = $541 + TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook

Set-up with EK 1001:

$18 EK Physics 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-MCAT-Physics/dp/1893858189)

$20 EK O-Chem 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-Organic-Chemistry/dp/1893858197)

$19 EK Chem 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-MCAT-Chemistry/dp/1893858227)

Total = $598 + TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook

Possible Book Replacements:

If you're having a hard time finding the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook, BR is an okay replacement. Well, there's not much of a choice left. Again, I HIGHLY recommend you hunt down the TPRH Verbal Workbook.

TPRH is a great choice for content review in all subjects, however, you still need the BR books and EK 101 Verbal for their practice passages. TPRH does not have enough practice passages, though the Workbooks are still great resources.

A Little Bit more about TPRH books:

If you're looking for the Science or Verbal Workbooks, your best bet is through the For Sale forum on here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=230

You can also find the full TPRH set in the For Sale. People usually sell the whole set together.

If you want the content books, they're available on Amazon.

Yes, these books are the same as the TPRH content review books. The only difference is that these books, unlike the class content review books, contain some practice passages. I believe it's 3-4 passages per chapter. It's not enough to just stick with these books and some FLs, but it's nice to have a few passages thrown in.

About the EK 1001 series:

It is a good idea to get the complete EK 1001 series. I thought they really helped me nail down my understanding of the various topics. Through using the physics especially, I found that I didn't understand some things as well as I would like. Furthermore, for whatever reason, they helped me visualize the problem in my head and made the equations intuitive to use.
Too many people neglect their basic understanding which could be bolstered by EK 1001. They think they have a strong grasp, yet when those fundumentals are tested, one's weaknesses become more apparent. Plus, doing more timed practice problems is always a good thing.

The only negative for the non-bio and VR practice books is that they aren't in the right format (unless you think of them as tons of discretes).
However, it is significantly easier to spot your content weaknesses with EK 1001 because they aren't passages. You don't have to worry about if you messed up due to a failure to synthesize multiple ideas or the passage was worded strangely. When you mess up on EK 1001, you know it's due to a content weakness. Lastly, this problem would be alleviated by the BR books and EK content books containing practice passages. There are also the practice tests that you will be taking.
I suggest you get the above materials 1-2 months in advance! It takes awhile to get your BR books! You don't want to be missing your materials when you're about to start this schedule. Also, older content review books are usually okay, just don't go too far back (past 5 years old).
Lastly, sign up for your MCAT as soon as possible. Seats fill up months in advance.

Timing:

- ALWAYS complete your practice problems under TIMED conditions
- For BR passages: 6-7 minutes per passage, work towards 6 minutes
- For the EK 30-minute exams….well 30 minutes
- EK 1001, except Bio series: 30 seconds to 1 minute per question
- EK Verbal 101/TPR Verbal: 6-7 minutes per passage, work towards 6 minutes
- AAMC FLs: Use their timing

Notes:

- Do NOT retake old practice material
- Thoroughly review ALL of your practice problems. Review your problems the day AFTER you take them. Don't even look at the answers until then. If there's a break day, review your problems on the day after your break.
- Remember to round like crazy for any math problem
- Always use process of elimination with your answer choices
- Before you begin this schedule, count the number of verbal practice passages (101 from EK + however many in the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook). Divide the number of passages by 70 (total days - the number of break days AND FL days). That number is the number of verbal passages you should be taking per day. I'm hoping that number breaks down to at least 3 passages per day. Ideally, you should take 4-5 verbal passages per assigned day. You do NOT take verbal passages on break days OR FL days.
- If you don't want to get the EK 1001 series, spread out the second 1/3 of BR practice passages over 2 days. Again, I recommend you get the EK 1001 books that are listed.
- If your practice test score is not within your target range after 2-3 tests, you should consider delaying. If you delay, go over your weaknesses again and complete an in-depth analysis of what went wrong.
- If you have enough money, you could adjust the schedule to fit in more practice tests. I didn't include that many to keep the cost down.
- If your test is in the morning and you're not a morning person, start getting used to waking up early when you start taking practice tests.
- Try to practice under as realistic as possible conditions when you take your practice tests. In other words: wake up early enough to be able to drive to your center; eat a meal you would eat before a test; follow the proper timing; and if you're really into it, you could even drive around for about the same time it would take you to get to your test center.

General Guidelines for Reviewing:

- Go over EVERY question. Both the ones you got right and the ones you got wrong.
- Reviewing should take 2-3 times longer than taking the timed practice problems.
- If your tests are fluctuating, it is due to the different topics on the various tests. In other words, you have some glaring weaknesses that when targeted, nail you, badly. You have to find out what those weaknesses are because they are evident by your scores. Do NOT dismiss any wrong answer as a "stupid mistake." You made that error for a reason. Go over your tests again.
- You might want to consider making a log for all of your post test results where you work through the questions below. Doing so, you'll be able to easily notice trends.

Some things to go over when reviewing:

1. Why did you get the question wrong? Why did you get the question right?
2. What question and passage types get you?
3. How is your mindset when facing a particular passage?
4. Are you stressed for time?
5. Where are your mistakes happening the most? Are they front loaded? Are they at the end? All over?
6. What was your thought process for both the questions you got right and the ones you got wrong?
7. For verbal, what was the author's mindset and main idea?
8. Did you eliminate all of the answer choices you could from first glance?
ex. You know an answer should be a positive number so you cross out all of the negative number answer choices.
9. What content areas are you weak in?
10. Why are the wrong answers wrong and the right answer right?
11. How can you improve so you don't make the same mistake again?

Hat Trick:

Get a hat and write every single MCAT PS and BS topic onto a piece of paper. Then, when you're ready to practice PS, put all the PS topics into the hat. Draw two or three pieces of paper and connect the topics together. In addition to connecting them, come up with what a passage might look like and what kind of questions you might get. If you can't do this, go back and review each of the three sections. Rinse and repeat.

The hat trick days are important because they aid you in synthesizing the various topics together. On the MCAT, you utilize this skill for every passage because MCAT passages combine topics. Furthermore, you may also discover content weaknesses that you will need to go over.

PS Topic List: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85562/data/ps_topics.pdf
BS Topic List: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85566/data/bstopics.pdf
Page to get topic lists if you don't want to directly download the pdf: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/preparing

Here's a rough example using Distillation, Mendelian Genetics, and Lipids:

You are studying a Mendelian inherited recessive genetic defect of a lipid receptor. A defect in this receptor prevents the uptake lipids in the body and can cause several negative effects, such as, atherosclerosis due to fat build-up in arterial walls.

To test for the concentration of lipids in a patient's blood, you design a distillation experiment.

1. Given a couple where the male is Ll and the female is ll, what is the chance the child will have the defect?

2. What kind of solvent should you use to test the concentration of lipids?

3. What type patient would have the highest boiling point elevation?

4. If the trait exhibited incomplete dominance, which patient is likely to be Ll? Boiling point information here.

5. Which cell component requires lipids?

Verbal Help:

Check out Vihsadas's verbal guide and the other guides found in the MCAT Guide sticky
Vihsadas's Guide: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6022602&postcount=96
MCAT Guide Sticky: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602154

Arithmetic Tricks:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=528674&highlight=Arithmetic Tips Tricks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 47 users
To SN2ed,

I just want to say thank you so much. I'm just about to start my hardcore studying and your posts have been the most helpful thing on this site. I owe you a beer.

I spent months reading so many threads and spending money to collect the various books you and everyone else recommends. I have more materials than I want, having bought used package sets that included extras that you don't recommend (but they were included in the package). After spending a little time with every book (usually just the first chapter), I have to 100% agree with everything you suggested. I wanted to be fair and give everything a chance, but after doing that, I'm convinced that your plan is perfect. I want to take time to say what my plan is and add some of the tips others have given me.

Verbal Reasoning is about finding a method that works for you and practicing it until its an afterthought. I plan to use EK first, trying their strategies. Once EK101 is done, then it's time for the PRHype VR book. Then it's all about FL practice exams. If I'm still looking for passages after that, I'll scrounge whatever I can.

Physics is BR and nothing else. I bit the bullet and bought the new physics book from BR and it is so worth it. After hearing all of these shipping horror stories, it ends up that it takes 5 days total from when I mailed until FedEx knocked on my apartment door. EK1001 is worthless at first, because the explanations are piss poor. But it will be useful for last minute review, once I'm done with BR.

Biology is EK for review. It really lives up to the hype in terms of simplifying content. I don't like their passages (and once again their poor explanations), but that's what PRHype and BR are for. I will mix up my BR and PRHype passages, using BR for targetting specific subjects and PR for general review. That's how their respective books are set up.

General Chem is pure BR gold. Having read from several books, the difference is night and day. I love the explanations and tips they constantly give. I only plan to use BR.

Organic Chem has been a toss up between EK and BR for me. But after hearing from a friend who just took the MCAT, I plan to use BR. The details scared me at first, but after sifting through it, I realize that it's not really that different than EK. I like the way BR gives tricks. The details are there to practice with, not to memorize. It's good training for passages where they give you extraneous info.

All in all I'm feeling psyched to start my hardcore studies. You are awesome SN2ed and so many of us appreciate what you've done. :thumbup:

Last edited:
NEED ADVICE!
I was planning to start studying using this schedule last week of may so I will have ~100 days of studying for the september mcat. The problem is that I might have to take a week of vacation to go overseas with a volunteer organization. They told me that I can go anytime during the summer. If I decide to go, I would have to start this schedule around may23rd, which isn't a problem for me since I finish finals on 17th. BUT I was wondering what would be the ideal time to take a week off during this schedule? Or is it better to follow the schedule for 3 months straight w/o any breaks?
Going on this trip will be a great EC for medical school but I can always do it later, if it is not possible this summer. MCATs are the priority this summer.

PLEASE ADVICE

They're in the newer versions. Don't have them, don't worry about them.

No, they're not. My BR books just arrived a couple weeks ago, and the ones I have should be the newest versions. The only stand-alone questions appear in the two diagnostic tests at the end of each book, but that's a scant amount anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
To SN2ed,

I just want to say thank you so much. I'm just about to start my hardcore studying and your posts have been the most helpful thing on this site. I owe you a beer.

I spent months reading so many threads and spending money to collect the various books you and everyone else recommends. I have more materials than I want, having bought used package sets that included extras that you don't recommend (but they were included in the package). After spending a little time with every book (usually just the first chapter), I have to 100% agree with everything you suggested. I wanted to be fair and give everything a chance, but after doing that, I'm convinced that your plan is perfect. I want to take time to say what my plan is and add some of the tips others have given me.

Verbal Reasoning is about finding a method that works for you and practicing it until its an afterthought. I plan to use EK first, trying their strategies. Once EK101 is done, then it's time for the PRHype VR book. Then it's all about FL practice exams. If I'm still looking for passages after that, I'll scrounge whatever I can.

Physics is BR and nothing else. I bit the bullet and bought the new physics book from BR and it is so worth it. After hearing all of these shipping horror stories, it ends up that it takes 5 days total from when I mailed until FedEx knocked on my apartment door. EK1001 is worthless at first, because the explanations are piss poor. But it will be useful for last minute review, once I'm done with BR.

Biology is EK for review. It really lives up to the hype in terms of simplifying content. I don't like their passages (and once again their poor explanations), but that's what PRHype and BR are for. I will mix up my BR and PRHype passages, using BR for targetting specific subjects and PR for general review. That's how their respective books are set up.

General Chem is pure BR gold. Having read from several books, the difference is night and day. I love the explanations and tips they constantly give. I only plan to use BR.

Organic Chem has been a toss up between EK and BR for me. But after hearing from a friend who just took the MCAT, I plan to use BR. The details scared me at first, but after sifting through it, I realize that it's not really that different than EK. I like the way BR gives tricks. The details are there to practice with, not to memorize. It's good training for passages where they give you extraneous info.

All in all I'm feeling psyched to start my hardcore studies. You are awesome SN2ed and so many of us appreciate what you've done. :thumbup:

In relation to this post, I'll give my own analysis:

Verbal Reasoning: I agree with the above, except I'm starting on BR first, then EK101, then AAMC practice tests.

Physics: EK and BR simultaneously. Both do a great job.

Biology: EK for bio content/mastery, BR content for toilet reading. I like the EK passages a lot more than BR. Although BR gives paragraph-like answers, I like EK's more direct answer approach (I just wish there were more passages! But hey, that's what Bio 1001 is for!) Also, BR has next to nothing on evolution (EK does a brilliant job with that). In summary, BR seems to OVER-prepare you for Bio with passages that are more difficult than actual MCAT passages. As such, I'm not sure if they're secretly trying to discourage you and lower your self-confidence so that you don't take the MCAT, or are they just providing you with extra information for the hell of it? I favor the KISS approach: Keep It Simple, Stupid!

General Chem: BR is decent, although the buffers/titrations section is overly excessive. I'm using EK for that along with my general chem text. Again, BR fails to follow the KISS principle in certain sections, but overall, it's pretty good for general chem.

Organic Chemistry: EK all the way with class notes and L.G. Wade's textbook. BR fails the KISS principle yet again here....too complicated, too complex. Why alkenes and benzene are still included in the content material, while the AAMC outline omits those topics, is beyond me. EK claims that all the orgo you need to know is in their book, so that's like bible truth to me! All in about 100 pages...beautiful.

NEED ADVICE!
I was planning to start studying using this schedule last week of may so I will have ~100 days of studying for the september mcat. The problem is that I might have to take a week of vacation to go overseas with a volunteer organization. They told me that I can go anytime during the summer. If I decide to go, I would have to start this schedule around may23rd, which isn't a problem for me since I finish finals on 17th. BUT I was wondering what would be the ideal time to take a week off during this schedule? Or is it better to follow the schedule for 3 months straight w/o any breaks?
Going on this trip will be a great EC for medical school but I can always do it later, if it is not possible this summer. MCATs are the priority this summer.

PLEASE ADVICE

I'm actually planning a week off as well. I decided that the best time for me would be right after I finish all of the content review and just before starting up FL's. Gives me a break after a strong 9-10 weeks and lets my brain reset.

No, they're not. My BR books just arrived a couple weeks ago, and the ones I have should be the newest versions. The only stand-alone questions appear in the two diagnostic tests at the end of each book, but that's a scant amount anyway.

Ugh. I wonder why people kept asking me what to do about the discretes then. I got at least 4-5 posts all asking about discretes in the BR books.

Ugh. I wonder why people kept asking me what to do about the discretes then. I got at least 4-5 posts all asking about discretes in the BR books.

There are about 15 discretes at the end of every chapter in the physics books (about 3 in the review test and 12 in the practice test). There are also about 20 discretes within the reading.

There are 5-14 (usually about 9) discretes at the end of every chapter in the general chemistry (except chapter 5 for some reason), but not all chapters have the same number. There are also about 30 discretes within the reading.

There are 4-9 discretes at the end of every chapter in the organic chemistry, but not all chapters have the same number. There are also about 30 discretes within the reading.

So there are plenty of discretes and you are not losing your mind. The problem lies in biology, where all of the discretes are in class handouts, and not in the book. Maybe people are asking about the biology books specifically.

So what it comes down to is what people actually think are "discretes". Personally, I wouldn't count the questions within the text of the readings as discretes. Those are "examples" to help solidify what's in the readings. Those questions should be within a practice exam in order to really function as discretes. So yeah, BR still needs more discretes.

As for EK, at the end of several sections in a lecture, they have a whole page of questions that are not based on any descriptive passage. Now THOSE are discretes.

Is EK 101 Verbal 1st edition(2002) an acceptable substitute for the 2nd edition(2008)?

So what it comes down to is what people actually think are "discretes". Personally, I wouldn't count the questions within the text of the readings as discretes. Those are "examples" to help solidify what's in the readings. Those questions should be within a practice exam in order to really function as discretes. So yeah, BR still needs more discretes.

As for EK, at the end of several sections in a lecture, they have a whole page of questions that are not based on any descriptive passage. Now THOSE are discretes.

From what BerkReviewTeach posted, it sounds like there are discretes at the end of the chapter as well as ones in the reading. The only book that doesn't have discretes mixed in at the end is Bio. I wouldn't count the discretes in the chapter either which is why I say they should be done while going through the chapter.

"There are about 15 discretes at the end of every chapter in the physics books (about 3 in the review test and 12 in the practice test). There are also about 20 discretes within the reading."

Is EK 101 Verbal 1st edition(2002) an acceptable substitute for the 2nd edition(2008)?

Yes, it's better than the 2008 version. Both books contain the same passages and questions. The difference is that they cut out questions in the 2008 version.

Older editions of the BR books, say 2009, shouldn't make any different, right? Also, are there errata published somewhere?

So yeah, BR still needs more discretes.

There are 144 multiple choice questions on the MCAT, of which only 26 are discretes. That means that 112 are associated with a passage.

Right now in the physics books, that right balance has been achieved. The balance is slightly off in the general chemistry book and a little more off in the organic chemistry book (both of which are being altered to include about five to seven more discretes per chapter). So while they agree with you in terms of a few more discretes, I think you are over-valuing the importance of discretes.

Doing well on the MCAT is about looking at a passage that makes your head want to spin, figuring out what the heck they are showing you, and then attacking the questions systematically. That only comes from practicing with passages (especially weird ones). BR books take advantage of the passage-based model to present content. Some passages will teach material, some will emphasize certain skills (like table reading), and a couple will mix so many things together that the reader feels overwhelmed. After a few experiences of being overwhelmed, you learn to deal with the chaos and anxiety that comes with it, and in doing so prepare yourself better for test day. That is perhaps the most valuable lesson you'll get in practicing.

Doing only discrete questions is a formula for disaster on a passage-based exam, for most people at least. There are some people who are going to do well no matter what they study. There are others that no matter what, just aren't built to do well on this exam. But for the majority of test takers (the middle 70% if you will), improvement comes from building their information base and developing test skills. Test skills are best built from passage-based questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize if this has been asked before. I am re-taking my exam in September, and I took my initial MCAT last July. I plan on using your method (SN2ed) this time around :) . In my preparation last year, I took every single AAMC practice exam (aside from the most recently released #11). I would like to know if a year difference matters in re-taking the AAMC FL exams? I know you advise against it, but with a year break, I was wondering if this affects anything about that advice. Additionally, if you do indeed still advise that I not re-take these (except #11), which should I replace the AAMC ones with in the schedule? BR? Thanks!

Hello Everyone!

I'm planning on starting this study schedule at the beginning of May for the August 23 MCAT, and I was wondering, about how many hours a day does the schedule take?
I'm only planning on studying for the MCAT, so I'll be fully committed to studying, but I'd like to have some time to work out, so, I was wondering if anyone could share with me about how long it took them to study everyday.
I am aware that hours will be different for each person, because it depends on how much they need to review a certain topic, reading speed as well as other factors, so I'm not looking for accurate numbers, just a ballpark.
Thanks!!

Doing well on the MCAT is about looking at a passage that makes your head want to spin, figuring out what the heck they are showing you, and then attacking the questions systematically. That only comes from practicing with passages (especially weird ones). BR books take advantage of the passage-based model to present content. Some passages will teach material, some will emphasize certain skills (like table reading), and a couple will mix so many things together that the reader feels overwhelmed. After a few experiences of being overwhelmed, you learn to deal with the chaos and anxiety that comes with it, and in doing so prepare yourself better for test day. That is perhaps the most valuable lesson you'll get in practicing.

There are some people who are going to do well no matter what they study. There are others that no matter what, just aren't built to do well on this exam. But for the majority of test takers (the middle 70% if you will), improvement comes from building their information base and developing test skills. Test skills are best built from passage-based questions.

Speaking of the "head spinning," is it true that BR passages are slightly longer and more difficult than actual MCAT passages/questions? If so, what's the reason for that? If that is indeed the case, then let's say you get an 8 on a 100-question passage set in Biology (or on the 52-question diagnostic exam). Due to the higher difficulty, that would put you at like a 10 or 11 on the actual MCAT? This is how I'm actually evaluating myself: giving myself two or three added scaled score points to compensate for the difficulty in the BR material. For EK, I'm finding their questions to be about right (less difficult than BR, but around the same level of difficulty for actual MCAT practice passages I've seen).

I also agree with what you said about the test itself: "There are some people who are going to do well no matter what they study. There are others that no matter what, just aren't built to do well on this exam." For the latter group, that doesn't mean that they aren't fit to become doctors. I'm absolutely positive that there are amazing doctors out there who did "poorly" on the MCAT. I subscribe to the belief/idea/opinion/fact? that knowing how to ace a test based solely on test mechanics rather than content should not bear any weight at all on the admissions process. At that point, the MCAT becomes a "game", and believe me, the practice of medicine is NO game.

So yes, I'm anti-MCAT as it relates to medicine. In fact, I will so boldly state that the MCAT has nothing to do AT ALL with medicine. The fact that it's based on the core sciences is nothing but a cover-up. USMLE Step I is nothing at all like the MCAT. I've read certain (unreliable?) sources that claim that how well you do on the MCAT is a predictor of how well you'll do on the USMLE I. That just reeks of BS. You know what the USMLE Step I is? It's a few DISCRETE questions (in the guise of actual sentences) bundled all into a small paragraph with between 5 and 10 answer choices. So in reality, the USMLE I assesses more content than it does "test mechanics" or "knowing how to beat a test" (i.e. the MCAT). If that's what's being assessed in order to get into medical school, I feel so sorry for those industrious, hard-working, high GPA students with a true, heartfelt intent on becoming a physician who just can't get into medical school with a low MCAT score. How pathetic is that? The MCAT assesses how well you can fenagle and grapple with distorted sentences and make sense of "assumptions and what's implied," while the USMLE I really gets to the meat of everything. Lol my mind is already at the USMLE I stage and has bypassed the MCAT. That's exactly how I feel.

Geez, all these ideas would make excellent essay material (especially for high GPA/low MCAT students). IF my MCAT happens to be sub-par when I take it next year, I'm going to apply regardless with the above reasoning playing a huge role in my personal statement on the AMCAS application. Tell it like it is...blunt, honest, and direct..the way that medicine SHOULD be practiced. Leave no stone unturned, and get to the heart of the matter!

Last edited:
I promise that's the last pioneering statement I'll make on this thread. Sorry lol...the MCAT and what it's designed to do/what it's designed for just makes my blood boil. I'm beginning to think that the personal statement is probably THE most important part of any medical school application.

There are 144 multiple choice questions on the MCAT, of which only 26 are discretes. That means that 112 are associated with a passage.

Right now in the physics books, that right balance has been achieved. The balance is slightly off in the general chemistry book and a little more off in the organic chemistry book (both of which are being altered to include about five to seven more discretes per chapter). So while they agree with you in terms of a few more discretes, I think you are over-valuing the importance of discretes.

Doing only discrete questions is a formula for disaster on a passage-based exam, for most people at least. There are some people who are going to do well no matter what they study. There are others that no matter what, just aren't built to do well on this exam. But for the majority of test takers (the middle 70% if you will), improvement comes from building their information base and developing test skills. Test skills are best built from passage-based questions.

I haven't used the BR books, but I've used their exams. I will say that they're very challenging and some of the passages made my head spin.

I will also say that I didn't review most of the exams right after because I had put time aside to do that later. However, I had decent scores at the start (about 30) then dropped to about 26-29, and finished with an estimated 33. As you see those crazy passages again and again, you realize that you can shake off that overwhelmed feeling, look through the questions, and actually reason your way to most of the answers. I think that realizing this was the key for my finally getting PS+BS scores in the 20+ range.

BRT has responded to a few of my 'freakout' posts by showing me how I could have reasoned my way to the answer. That style of reasoning is a mode of thinking that I've found myself in more and more since taking their exams. I'm starting the aamc's again this weekend. And I'm honestly looking forward to it!

Speaking of the "head spinning," is it true that BR passages are slightly longer and more difficult than actual MCAT passages/questions? If so, what's the reason for that? If that is indeed the case, then let's say you get an 8 on a 100-question passage set in Biology (or on the 52-question diagnostic exam). Due to the higher difficulty, that would put you at like a 10 or 11 on the actual MCAT? This is how I'm actually evaluating myself: giving myself two or three added scaled score points to compensate for the difficulty in the BR material. For EK, I'm finding their questions to be about right (less difficult than BR, but around the same level of difficulty for actual MCAT practice passages I've seen).

I also agree with what you said about the test itself: "There are some people who are going to do well no matter what they study. There are others that no matter what, just aren't built to do well on this exam." For the latter group, that doesn't mean that they aren't fit to become doctors. I'm absolutely positive that there are amazing doctors out there who did "poorly" on the MCAT. I subscribe to the belief/idea/opinion/fact? that knowing how to ace a test based solely on test mechanics rather than content should not bear any weight at all on the admissions process. At that point, the MCAT becomes a "game", and believe me, the practice of medicine is NO game.

So yes, I'm anti-MCAT as it relates to medicine. In fact, I will so boldly state that the MCAT has nothing to do AT ALL with medicine. The fact that it's based on the core sciences is nothing but a cover-up. USMLE Step I is nothing at all like the MCAT. I've read certain (unreliable?) sources that claim that how well you do on the MCAT is a predictor of how well you'll do on the USMLE I. That just reeks of BS. You know what the USMLE Step I is? It's a few DISCRETE questions (in the guise of actual sentences) bundled all into a small paragraph with between 5 and 10 answer choices. So in reality, the USMLE I assesses more content than it does "test mechanics" or "knowing how to beat a test" (i.e. the MCAT). If that's what's being assessed in order to get into medical school, I feel so sorry for those industrious, hard-working, high GPA students with a true, heartfelt intent on becoming a physician who just can't get into medical school with a low MCAT score. How pathetic is that? The MCAT assesses how well you can fenagle and grapple with distorted sentences and make sense of "assumptions and what's implied," while the USMLE I really gets to the meat of everything. Lol my mind is already at the USMLE I stage and has bypassed the MCAT. That's exactly how I feel.

Geez, all these ideas would make excellent essay material (especially for high GPA/low MCAT students). IF my MCAT happens to be sub-par when I take it next year, I'm going to apply regardless with the above reasoning playing a huge role in my personal statement on the AMCAS application. Tell it like it is...blunt, honest, and direct..the way that medicine SHOULD be practiced. Leave no stone unturned, and get to the heart of the matter!

I don't think TBR deflates your scores THAT much. Maybe -1 on PS/BS but +1 on VR. Besides, the scores don't matter because you're doing these for practice.

As far as your rant goes, all I have to say is you need to learn to suck it up. It doesn't matter what you think. At the end of the day, the MCAT is used for Med school admissions and the USMLE is used to certify physicians. Your disagreement with the system doesn't do much to change it.

Fact is, there is so much practice material for the MCAT that you can teach yourself how to take the test. If you do things right, you have no excuses. Barring of course, illness on test day, or getting a super computation heavy PS section (which you can only do so much about).

I suggest you put those thoughts aside and concentrate on adequately preparing for the exam.

As for your comment on feeling sorry for the high GPA students...
Medicine isn't cut and dry. Often times, patients don't tell you the entire story. You have to read between the lines and conjecture a bit and prod them to figure out what they're hiding or aren't comfortable telling you. This has been my experience in working with physicians everyday for the last year. That thought process that you're so quick to dismiss is incredibly important.

I haven't used the BR books, but I've used their exams. I will say that they're very challenging and some of the passages made my head spin.

I will also say that I didn't review most of the exams right after because I had put time aside to do that later. However, I had decent scores at the start (about 30) then dropped to about 26-29, and finished with an estimated 33. As you see those crazy passages again and again, you realize that you can shake off that overwhelmed feeling, look through the questions, and actually reason your way to most of the answers. I think that realizing this was the key for my finally getting PS+BS scores in the 20+ range.

BRT has responded to a few of my 'freakout' posts by showing me how I could have reasoned my way to the answer. That style of reasoning is a mode of thinking that I've found myself in more and more since taking their exams. I'm starting the aamc's again this weekend. And I'm honestly looking forward to it!

I don't think TBR deflates your scores THAT much. Maybe -1 on PS/BS but +1 on VR. Besides, the scores don't matter because you're doing these for practice.

As far as your rant goes, all I have to say is you need to learn to suck it up. It doesn't matter what you think. At the end of the day, the MCAT is used for Med school admissions and the USMLE is used to certify physicians. Your disagreement with the system doesn't do much to change it.

Fact is, there is so much practice material for the MCAT that you can teach yourself how to take the test. If you do things right, you have no excuses. Barring of course, illness on test day, or getting a super computation heavy PS section (which you can only do so much about).

I suggest you put those thoughts aside and concentrate on adequately preparing for the exam.

As for your comment on feeling sorry for the high GPA students...
Medicine isn't cut and dry. Often times, patients don't tell you the entire story. You have to read between the lines and conjecture a bit and prod them to figure out what they're hiding or aren't comfortable telling you. This has been my experience in working with physicians everyday for the last year. That thought process that you're so quick to dismiss is incredibly important.

To each his own, right? Fact remains is that you need a balance of both types of thinking, really. In the end, the MCAT doesn't assess a holistic way of reasoning. That's basically it, and there's the loophole to it all.

Would anyone care to explain why 2009 BR physics is no good? I'm going to pick up a used 2009 BR set soon and would like to know if I should order the latest BR physics as well.
Thanks.

Would anyone care to explain why 2009 BR physics is no good? I'm going to pick up a used 2009 BR set soon and would like to know if I should order the latest BR physics as well.
Thanks.

There have been posts on this, but here's the gist. Answers to b-questions, about double the test tricks, improved and expanded EM and LO (two topics that were previously weaknesses, more questions, updated passages, and it's supposed to be an easier read. From what I've read, the newest book is pretty different from 2010. If you want a more in-depth explanation, try running a search. There were some threads on this not so long ago.

Hi, I'm about halfway through reading this thread, and it is full of great info.

I'm planning on starting the three month schedule in preparation for my 9/8 mcat. If I start it June 1, that'll give me 99 days with my mcat on day 100. Since I am very rusty on everything, And get done with finals on may 20th, I was interested in somehow incorperating those 7-11 days in someway. I was curious where some good places to add an extra break day/catchup day or maybe I could spread the rereading chapter days into two days?

Thanks.

There have been posts on this, but here's the gist. Answers to b-questions, about double the test tricks, improved and expanded EM and LO (two topics that were previously weaknesses, more questions, updated passages, and it's supposed to be an easier read. From what I've read, the newest book is pretty different from 2010. If you want a more in-depth explanation, try running a search. There were some threads on this not so long ago.
Thanks for your reply, SN2ed.
I find this post from you on 2/25:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10642343&highlight=physics#post10642343
Physics: There is a 2009 version. It has had changes to some of the answer explanations with every new session of the class, but the text has been constant since 2002. There were new passages introduced and changes to existing passages in 2004 and 2007. Selected chapters from the upsoming version of the physics books are supposedly going to be used in the classroom this summer. The new book apparently should be out in the Fall. Avoid books from before 2007.
You seemed to imply then that the current version was 2009, and that a newer 2011 version might be released in the fall. :confused:

Last edited:
I ordered the Berkeley books and received the e-mail about the tracking number. They mentioned that there is a 70 min. diagnostic exam at the end of each biology book. Is this already incorporated into the schedule? I can't find it.:confused:

I'm not sure if this has already been asked, but is it still possible to do fine just using BR and Princeton hyperlearning for verbal? As well as taking practice AAMCs.

Thank you very much for writing up this excellent guide SN2ed!

I created a modified version of it more geared towards my schedule (non-trad who works Mon-Fri) and was hoping you could evaluate it?

It is somewhat a hybrid between your 3 month and 4 month schedules.

My goals were to provide ample time for as many FL as possible and keep the seemingly long "Re-read chapters + EK 1001 + EK Bio In-class exam" days on Sundays.

I primarily did this by making each "rotation" have 3 chapters instead of 5 so it synced up with 7 day weeks. Also, when it comes time to re-read each chapter that day is being divided by 3 instead of 5 so I can spend a bit more time re-reading each chapter from the previous week's content.

I combined your "Review 1001 questions" and "2nd 1/3 BR passages" days into the same day because with only 3 chapters per week that should only be about 12 passages on this day. At 7 minutes each, 84 minutes total, this leaves the rest of the day for reviewing the 1001 questions and EK BIO quiz.

One question I had was when exactly do you review the 3rd 1/3 BR passages? For example in the 3 month variation, on day 72 do you complete the remaining passages from all Chapter 4s, then review them on day 73?

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• MCAT Study Guide.xlsx
    11.4 KB · Views: 256
Hi, I'm about halfway through reading this thread, and it is full of great info.

I'm planning on starting the three month schedule in preparation for my 9/8 mcat. If I start it June 1, that'll give me 99 days with my mcat on day 100. Since I am very rusty on everything, And get done with finals on may 20th, I was interested in somehow incorperating those 7-11 days in someway. I was curious where some good places to add an extra break day/catchup day or maybe I could spread the rereading chapter days into two days?

Thanks.

Please answer

Sorry, I'm trying to keep this thread as close as possible to sticking with specific questions for the schedule, not for questions about other poster's schedules. If you wish for input on your own schedule, make a thread. You'd get more help that way too.

All im asking SN2ed is where would be the ideal place to add a break/buffer day or if I could split the chapter reviews into two days, or if this is not recommended.

I'm using your three month schedule so I think it is relevant. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by on topic.

Thanks and remember,
I'm learning

Hi

I was wondering if Sn2ed or anyone else really could tell me if TPRH science workbook is worth buying. I read that it does in fact have a good number of passages.

Also Is the BR bio better than the TPRH Bio?

Random Questions

How do I combine BR Bio's passages and EK Bio's content?

Slightly modified from doctoroftha313 post in this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=9660729

EK Lecture: Molecular Biology & Cellular Respiration
BR Chapter # - Passage #: 1-13, 6-3, 6-8, 6-9, 6-12, 6-14, 7-1, 7-2, 7-3, 7-4, 7-6, 7-7, 7-8, 7-9, 7-10, 7-11, 7-12, 7-13, 7-14, 7-15, 8-1, 8-2, 8-3, 8-4, 8-5, 8-6, 8-7, 8-8, 8-9, 8-10, 8-11, 8-12, 8-13, 8-14, 8-15

EK Lecture: Genes
BR Chapter # - Passage #: 6-13, 9-1, 9-4, 9-6, 9-7, 9-8, 9-9, 9-10, 9-11, 9-12, 9-13, 9-14, 9-15, 10-1, 10-2, 10-3, 10-4, 10-5, 10-6, 10-7, 10-8, 10-9, 10-10, 10-11, 10-12, 10-13, 10-14, 10-15

EK Lecture: Microbiology
BR Chapter # - Passage #: 6-1, 6-4, 6-5, 6-11, 6-15

EK Lecture: The Eukaryotic Cell; The Nervous System
BR Chapter # - Passage #:
Eukaryotic Cell: 6-2, 6-6, 6-7, 6-10

Nervous System: 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 1-5, 1-6, 1-7, 1-8, 1-9, 1-10, 1-11, 1-12

EK Lecture: The Endocrine System; Reproductive System
Embryo: 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, 4-4, 4-5, 4-6, 4-7, 4-8, 4-9, 4-10, 4-11, 4-12, 4-13, 4-14, 4-15
Endocrine: 5-7, 5-8, 5-9, 5-10, 5-11, 5-12, 5-13, 5-14, 5-15

EK Lecture: The Digestive System; The Excretory System
Digestion: 3-2, 3-3, 3-4, 3-5, 3-6, 3-14, 3-15
Excretory: 3-7, 3-8, 3-9, 3-10, 3-11, 3-13

EK Lecture: The Cardiovascular System; The Respiratory System
Circulatory: 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 2-4, 2-7, 2-8, 2-9, 2-10, 2-13, 5-1, 5-2, 5-3, 5-4, 5-5, 5-6
Respiratory: 2-5, 2-6, 2-11, 2-12, 2-14, 2-15, 7-5
Lymph: 3-12,

EK Lecture: Muscle, Bone, and Skin
1-14, 1-15, 3-1

EK Lecture: Populations
9-2, 9-3, 9-5

NOTE: "5-3" means BR chapter 5, passage #3.

SN2ed, I really like your schedule and I'm going to try my best to use it while maintaining my part-time job this summer, as crazy as that may be! However, I was wondering if you make an outline like this, but combining TBR Hyperlearning Biological Sciences Review book for content and BR for passages?

Hi

I was wondering if Sn2ed or anyone else really could tell me if TPRH science workbook is worth buying. I read that it does in fact have a good number of passages.

Also Is the BR bio better than the TPRH Bio?

Br is recommended over tprh because it has more passages. The content review in both is good though.

Thanks for the reply PD187540. That's a good thing you mentioned which I totally forgot about for a while, the AAMC outline, lol. I need to take a look at that again come this summer.

The funny thing is I learned all that stuff in the metabolic pathways chapter from my class, Metabolic Pathways, so I know it; but I guess that won't do me any good. I have got to get over this insecurity and nervousness.
hey can you link me to the AAMC outline?

I know the writing section is not (at all) what most people's priority is, but I had a right-before panic attack before my test and so I grouped a bunch of the prompts by keyword so I could have some idea of the likelihood of being asked to write about history/government/politicians/education/technology, etc. It helped me get a little direction and feel more ready so I dunno, might be useful to others as well...

View attachment AAMC_WritingPrompts.doc

Why don't you go on their website or google it yourself?

It's not like it's hidden. Don't be so lazy.
HA HA i can see you being a doctor, walk in and with your eyes closed tell a patient what they need to do..
The connection has timed out

The server at forums.studentdoctor.net is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Im studying and i've had connection issues here at the library, bandwidth being used by everyone? Im not sure....but I'm an easy going, helpful person, you obviously are....... different
good luck with that:D

That's what you get for not saying please.

PS: Might want to tell all your peers in the library to stop watching porn. That's what eats up the bandwidth.

That's what you get for not saying please.

PS: Might want to tell all your peers in the library to stop watching porn. That's what eats up the bandwidth.
touche

not porn, they are getting online medical physicals....

please help me with this question(anyone)
the schedule says:
Day 6: Re-read chapters
Day 7: Break
Day 8: Re-read ALL of the previous chapters. This means you re-read the ENTIRE chapter again for both BR Physics chapters 1 & 2, BR Gen Chem chapter 1, BR O-Chem chapter 1, and EK Bio chapter 1. Additionally, work through corresponding EK 1001 sections for the chapters you worked through. For instance, BR O-Chem chapter #1 goes over Organic Structure & Bonding; hence, complete the Molecular Structure in the EK 1001 O-Chem. The topics probably won’t match all the time, but go with the best fit. Also, only do every third problem/passage in the EK 1001s. Lastly, complete the in-class exam for EK Bio chapter 1. From now on, this day’s work will be abbreviated: “EK 1001 + EK Bio In-class exam”
Day 9: Review EK 1001 + EK Bio In-class exam
Day 10: Complete second 1/3 of BR passages for the previous 5 BR chapters (remember this includes BR Bio). I’m going to shorten this to: “Complete second 1/3 of BR passages”
Day 11: Review BR passages

I am not sure about what to do on thee days
"Day 6: Re-read chapters"(which I thought meant re-read all the chapters you have done since the last time you re-read them, not all the chapters you've ever read?)
and
"Day 11: Review BR passages" so this day you look at the BR passages you've done and re-read them? and look at the questions/answers?

SN2ed:

HI ! Im new to this site and read many good things about your schedule for the mcat in 3 months but i have some concerns. Im planning to take my mcat this september but im afraid that i wont have enought time to finish everything with a 30 or higher. 1st concern: I have my friends berkley review physics and chemistry books from 2008 but i heard they are not good as the new ones which ordering them now, it will take a week. stress #1 !!!! 2nd concern: I went and did the first passage on chapter 1 on both physics and chemistry and got a 3/7. stress 2 !!
Now, i dont know if thats good or really bad due to the fact that I have read the chapters before doing the passage. I know that students have said it takes more practice, practice and more practice but is it possible to keep increasing your score as months pass by? because i've read that other students were not successful so im kinda of wondering if this summer is enought time to finsih everything?
My other question is that you have also mention doing 1/3 passage for every chapter? Please what does that mean? are you saying do 3 randonly passages for every chapter? im a little bit confused?
My last concern is that i know every student works differently but from what I've read is that is taking them a whole day to finish one entire chapter plus doing some passages. Now is that effective because i know the day after you are supposed to start with another chapter for another subject. so im wondering when can you review from what you read and go over your answers from the passages you did that day.
Another factor is that I have taken physics, chemistry 2 years ago and im worried i need to focus more in the content than anything else.
As you can see im really freaking out because I really wanna do good and have taking this summer off completely to just focus on the mcat.
I also have all the ek 2007 set except for the chemistry 1001 questions and physics 1001 questions . Do you know if it also takes a week to order those books? My last question is im borrowing my friends TPRH biological sciences because i heard the biology section is the best. Do you also suggest on doing the science workbook on top of everything else? I would really appreciated if you can give me your feedback. Thanks.

I ordered the Berkeley books and received the e-mail about the tracking number. They mentioned that there is a 70 min. diagnostic exam at the end of each biology book. Is this already incorporated into the schedule? I can't find it.:confused:

No, those bio diagnostic tests are new, so the Sn2ed schedule doesn't have them incorporated. Logically, do them after you finish every chapter (with the corresponding passages). There are two DTs, one for each bio book. These DTs are meant to be timed exactly like a biological sciences MCAT section (and they're written like one). Do them after everything else when you feel comfortable. This isn't rocket science here. Geez...

I can't believe the number of people who fret over the details of SN2ed's schedule. Amazing, huh? This isn't a sacred text! Do you people pray to it or something? Sprinkle it with holy water every day?

Hey! thank you for this awesome post. Just a quick question:

I am taking the princeton review class. Is this doable with the course? I would like to over prepared for my first try. Please kindly reply and let me know what do you think. Thanks.

Right Answers But Wrong Thought Process

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@ SN2ed So I've been preparing for the Aug MCAT and noticed while working on TBR Chemistry ( Stoichemistry) that I got a lot of right answers but my thought process was wrong ( different from the test company's response). How can I go about correcting this and has anyone else experienced the same problem? Thanks in advance!

SN2ed:

HI ! Im new to this site and read many good things about your schedule for the mcat in 3 months but i have some concerns. Im planning to take my mcat this september but im afraid that i wont have enought time to finish everything with a 30 or higher. 1st concern: I have my friends berkley review physics and chemistry books from 2008 but i heard they are not good as the new ones which ordering them now, it will take a week. stress #1 !!!! 2nd concern: I went and did the first passage on chapter 1 on both physics and chemistry and got a 3/7. stress 2 !!
Now, i dont know if thats good or really bad due to the fact that I have read the chapters before doing the passage. I know that students have said it takes more practice, practice and more practice but is it possible to keep increasing your score as months pass by? because i've read that other students were not successful so im kinda of wondering if this summer is enought time to finsih everything?
My other question is that you have also mention doing 1/3 passage for every chapter? Please what does that mean? are you saying do 3 randonly passages for every chapter? im a little bit confused?
My last concern is that i know every student works differently but from what I've read is that is taking them a whole day to finish one entire chapter plus doing some passages. Now is that effective because i know the day after you are supposed to start with another chapter for another subject. so im wondering when can you review from what you read and go over your answers from the passages you did that day.
Another factor is that I have taken physics, chemistry 2 years ago and im worried i need to focus more in the content than anything else.
As you can see im really freaking out because I really wanna do good and have taking this summer off completely to just focus on the mcat.
I also have all the ek 2007 set except for the chemistry 1001 questions and physics 1001 questions . Do you know if it also takes a week to order those books? My last question is im borrowing my friends TPRH biological sciences because i heard the biology section is the best. Do you also suggest on doing the science workbook on top of everything else? I would really appreciated if you can give me your feedback. Thanks.

I know I'm not SN2ed but I am using his schedule too.

1) TBR has been known across this board to be very difficult. That is why so many people like myself work its passage. But I've noticed myself that since their passages are very difficult, I think it will better to start off completing ALL the passages in EK or TPR ( this is for me personally) and then work the TBR passages since they incorporate a lot in their passages. So easy ( more content specific)-> hard passages ( incorporates different concepts).

2)Every 1/3 passages means you complete every 3 passages in the section. For instance if you have 12 passages, you'll complete the first third the passages which will be the following : 1, 4, 7, & 10. Then the second third of the passages remaining will be 2, 5, 8, 11. The last third of the passages remaining will be 3, 6, 9, and 12. In terms of timing I think TBR suggests you do the first third of the passages untimed and then the second set of passges timed, and the third set of passages are used for review later on.

3) With EK it didn't take me longer then a week to receive my books. Maybe at most 4-5 days.

4) I love TRPH but I know SN2ed recommends EK Bio over TRPH since its very straight forward. But be aware that EK Bio 1001 does ask some questions they don't cover in the chapter. So don't be alarmed!

Lastly stay encouraged! I haven't taken Physics and OCHEM since 2 years ago and you'll be surprised on how much you remember. Just take it one day at a time and remember that this test is about endurance and not speed. Personally for me its been hard being consistent studying so I've studied and started all over again so many times but know you have a support system on here if you feel overwhelmed. You've taken the first step by creating a plan, the next is to execute this plan WELL. Best wishes to you!

I am starting this schedule on may23rd for september's mcat (gave myself 15 buffer days so I can 1-2 addition FLs and just in case I get tired of studying). I have all the books ready but had couple of questions.
1. I have the 5th edition of EK bio (2003). Does that have the same chapters and in-class exams as their latest edition? Or should I get the latest edition?

2. I am considering using TBR biology for chapters. If I do that, how would I go about doing the in-class exams in EK bio since the books are organized differently?

Are the days where you reread the chapters (4-5 chapters) extremely heavy? Does anyone that has done this schedule have a reference between how long these days took compared to the days where you read a single chapter in a day?

Would breaking those days into two days if needed be ok?

Should break days ever be used to catch up or should they definitely be a day of no work?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.