Breaking Down the MCAT: A 3 Month MCAT Study Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Written by SN2ed.

Downloadable MCAT Calendar iCAL and XML versions: http://www.studentdoctor.net/3-month-mcat-study-schedule/
(Click the events for more details)

Everyone please keep the questions to this strategy AND READ ALL OF THE FIRST FOUR POSTS.

Do NOT start this schedule late. You will burnout. There have already been numerous posts & threads on people starting late, trying to rush through the material, and burning out quickly.
Check the Update log in the last post for any changes.

I noticed that some people are claiming they wrote this guide to scam people out of money. Let me make this clear, I have not and will not be selling anything related to this guide. If you see a poster trying to sell books saying they wrote this schedule, do NOT buy from them. They are attempting to take your money away on false pretenses. Additionally, this guide has only been and should only be posted on SDN. I have not posted this guide anywhere else. Furthermore, SDN is the sole MCAT/medical forum I visit and the only forum where I use the screen name SN2ed. I never imagined this thread would be popular enough to warrant this kind of attention. The contents of this thread (and any other on SDN) cannot be replicated and re-hosted on any other forum, blog, or website without prior consent of both the author and SDN.
Make sure you read ALL of the opening posts, including the FAQ, before posting questions.

To begin with, check out these two threads:

Why Diagnostics are Worthless: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=557231

MCAT and a Heavy School Workload Don't Mix: Stop rushing to take the MCAT:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602186

Can I accomplish this schedule with a part-time job or school?

Very unlikely. I highly recommend you devote 3 months to the MCAT. There may be a few that could follow this schedule and work part-time, but chances are it would not end well. You are FAR more likely to burn out if you try to study for the MCAT using this schedule and go to school or take a part/full-time job.

Furthermore, I've yet to see a valid reason for students (ie. not non-trads) to not take the MCAT in the summer.

Will following this guide guarantee me a +30?

Sadly, there are no guarantees on the MCAT. I certainly hope it helps you, but I can't say whether or not you'll hit your target score.

Should I take the MCAT before finishing my pre-reqs?

There's no point in doing so. You have to take them anyway. Hence, you might as well go into the test with your pre-reqs completed. Yes, this includes the English pre-req.

Any tips for retakers?

Check out the thread I made on the subject: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=754682

Remember to check out the third and fourth post FAQ.

Anything else before I start?

CONFIDENCE. Through all of the troubles and hardships you'll face, approach everything with confidence. You must constantly attack this test. The MCAT is merely a stepping stone on your journey.

Also, this is just a guide I made up. It is my opinion on what a study schedule should resemble. I'm sure there will be people that disagree with parts of this schedule or the whole thing. This schedule can easily be adjusted for 4 months instead of 3. I don't suggest starting heavy studying 5 months+ from your test date. Keep it to 3-4 months. If you start too soon, it will be a waste of time and resources.

Remember to use the search function on these forums. Tons of questions have already been asked and answered.
Lastly, please give credit to me, SN2ed, if you post this elsewhere. I put a ton of work into it.

Materials:

- Berkeley Review (BR) General Chemistry
- BR Organic Chemistry
- Examkrackers (EK) Biology for non-detailed approach OR The Princeton Review Hyperlearning (TPR) Biology/BR Biology for a detailed approach (In the schedule, I will use EK Bio because most prefer a non-detailed approach)
- BR Bio
- BR Physics
- EK 1001 series, excluding EK 1001 Bio (i.e. do NOT buy EK 1001 Bio)
- EK Verbal 101
- TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook or Berkeley Review Verbal
- AAMC Full Length (FL) #3-5 and 7-11 (AAMC #6 is not available at the moment)

You're using EK Bio for content review and BR Bio for passages. If you need more detail during in your content review, refer to BR Bio.

You can pick up the BR books from their website: http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/home-study.html
Also, check out the For Sale section on here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=230 All of the above, except for the AAMC FLs show up from time to time. I've regularly seen a complete BR set go for under $100 on there. Whenever you buy used, MAKE SURE THE PASSAGES ARE UNMARKED.

To buy the AAMC FLs: http://www.e-mcat.com/

Bare Minimum Set-up:

$245 for AAMC FLs (http://www.e-mcat.com/)

$240 for BR Physics, O-chem, Gen Chem, Biology (http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/home-study.html)

$26 for EK Verbal 101 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-MCAT101-Passages-Verbal-Reasoning/dp/1893858553)

$30 EK Bio (Amazon product)

Prices vary on TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook, search the For Sale forum on here for copies. They regularly show up. You should be able to get one for under $50.

Total = $541 + TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook

Set-up with EK 1001:

$18 EK Physics 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-MCAT-Physics/dp/1893858189)

$20 EK O-Chem 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-Organic-Chemistry/dp/1893858197)

$19 EK Chem 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-MCAT-Chemistry/dp/1893858227)

Total = $598 + TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook

Possible Book Replacements:

If you're having a hard time finding the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook, BR is an okay replacement. Well, there's not much of a choice left. Again, I HIGHLY recommend you hunt down the TPRH Verbal Workbook.

TPRH is a great choice for content review in all subjects, however, you still need the BR books and EK 101 Verbal for their practice passages. TPRH does not have enough practice passages, though the Workbooks are still great resources.

A Little Bit more about TPRH books:

If you're looking for the Science or Verbal Workbooks, your best bet is through the For Sale forum on here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=230

You can also find the full TPRH set in the For Sale. People usually sell the whole set together.

If you want the content books, they're available on Amazon.

Yes, these books are the same as the TPRH content review books. The only difference is that these books, unlike the class content review books, contain some practice passages. I believe it's 3-4 passages per chapter. It's not enough to just stick with these books and some FLs, but it's nice to have a few passages thrown in.

About the EK 1001 series:

It is a good idea to get the complete EK 1001 series. I thought they really helped me nail down my understanding of the various topics. Through using the physics especially, I found that I didn't understand some things as well as I would like. Furthermore, for whatever reason, they helped me visualize the problem in my head and made the equations intuitive to use.
Too many people neglect their basic understanding which could be bolstered by EK 1001. They think they have a strong grasp, yet when those fundumentals are tested, one's weaknesses become more apparent. Plus, doing more timed practice problems is always a good thing.

The only negative for the non-bio and VR practice books is that they aren't in the right format (unless you think of them as tons of discretes).
However, it is significantly easier to spot your content weaknesses with EK 1001 because they aren't passages. You don't have to worry about if you messed up due to a failure to synthesize multiple ideas or the passage was worded strangely. When you mess up on EK 1001, you know it's due to a content weakness. Lastly, this problem would be alleviated by the BR books and EK content books containing practice passages. There are also the practice tests that you will be taking.
I suggest you get the above materials 1-2 months in advance! It takes awhile to get your BR books! You don't want to be missing your materials when you're about to start this schedule. Also, older content review books are usually okay, just don't go too far back (past 5 years old).
Lastly, sign up for your MCAT as soon as possible. Seats fill up months in advance.

Timing:

- ALWAYS complete your practice problems under TIMED conditions
- For BR passages: 6-7 minutes per passage, work towards 6 minutes
- For the EK 30-minute exams….well 30 minutes
- EK 1001, except Bio series: 30 seconds to 1 minute per question
- EK Verbal 101/TPR Verbal: 6-7 minutes per passage, work towards 6 minutes
- AAMC FLs: Use their timing

Notes:

- Do NOT retake old practice material
- Thoroughly review ALL of your practice problems. Review your problems the day AFTER you take them. Don't even look at the answers until then. If there's a break day, review your problems on the day after your break.
- Remember to round like crazy for any math problem
- Always use process of elimination with your answer choices
- Before you begin this schedule, count the number of verbal practice passages (101 from EK + however many in the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook). Divide the number of passages by 70 (total days - the number of break days AND FL days). That number is the number of verbal passages you should be taking per day. I'm hoping that number breaks down to at least 3 passages per day. Ideally, you should take 4-5 verbal passages per assigned day. You do NOT take verbal passages on break days OR FL days.
- If you don't want to get the EK 1001 series, spread out the second 1/3 of BR practice passages over 2 days. Again, I recommend you get the EK 1001 books that are listed.
- If your practice test score is not within your target range after 2-3 tests, you should consider delaying. If you delay, go over your weaknesses again and complete an in-depth analysis of what went wrong.
- If you have enough money, you could adjust the schedule to fit in more practice tests. I didn't include that many to keep the cost down.
- If your test is in the morning and you're not a morning person, start getting used to waking up early when you start taking practice tests.
- Try to practice under as realistic as possible conditions when you take your practice tests. In other words: wake up early enough to be able to drive to your center; eat a meal you would eat before a test; follow the proper timing; and if you're really into it, you could even drive around for about the same time it would take you to get to your test center.

General Guidelines for Reviewing:

- Go over EVERY question. Both the ones you got right and the ones you got wrong.
- Reviewing should take 2-3 times longer than taking the timed practice problems.
- If your tests are fluctuating, it is due to the different topics on the various tests. In other words, you have some glaring weaknesses that when targeted, nail you, badly. You have to find out what those weaknesses are because they are evident by your scores. Do NOT dismiss any wrong answer as a "stupid mistake." You made that error for a reason. Go over your tests again.
- You might want to consider making a log for all of your post test results where you work through the questions below. Doing so, you'll be able to easily notice trends.

Some things to go over when reviewing:

1. Why did you get the question wrong? Why did you get the question right?
2. What question and passage types get you?
3. How is your mindset when facing a particular passage?
4. Are you stressed for time?
5. Where are your mistakes happening the most? Are they front loaded? Are they at the end? All over?
6. What was your thought process for both the questions you got right and the ones you got wrong?
7. For verbal, what was the author's mindset and main idea?
8. Did you eliminate all of the answer choices you could from first glance?
ex. You know an answer should be a positive number so you cross out all of the negative number answer choices.
9. What content areas are you weak in?
10. Why are the wrong answers wrong and the right answer right?
11. How can you improve so you don't make the same mistake again?

Hat Trick:

Get a hat and write every single MCAT PS and BS topic onto a piece of paper. Then, when you're ready to practice PS, put all the PS topics into the hat. Draw two or three pieces of paper and connect the topics together. In addition to connecting them, come up with what a passage might look like and what kind of questions you might get. If you can't do this, go back and review each of the three sections. Rinse and repeat.

The hat trick days are important because they aid you in synthesizing the various topics together. On the MCAT, you utilize this skill for every passage because MCAT passages combine topics. Furthermore, you may also discover content weaknesses that you will need to go over.

PS Topic List: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85562/data/ps_topics.pdf
BS Topic List: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85566/data/bstopics.pdf
Page to get topic lists if you don't want to directly download the pdf: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/preparing

Here's a rough example using Distillation, Mendelian Genetics, and Lipids:

You are studying a Mendelian inherited recessive genetic defect of a lipid receptor. A defect in this receptor prevents the uptake lipids in the body and can cause several negative effects, such as, atherosclerosis due to fat build-up in arterial walls.

To test for the concentration of lipids in a patient's blood, you design a distillation experiment.

1. Given a couple where the male is Ll and the female is ll, what is the chance the child will have the defect?

2. What kind of solvent should you use to test the concentration of lipids?

3. What type patient would have the highest boiling point elevation?

4. If the trait exhibited incomplete dominance, which patient is likely to be Ll? Boiling point information here.

5. Which cell component requires lipids?

Verbal Help:

Check out Vihsadas's verbal guide and the other guides found in the MCAT Guide sticky
Vihsadas's Guide: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6022602&postcount=96
MCAT Guide Sticky: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602154

Arithmetic Tricks:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=528674&highlight=Arithmetic Tips Tricks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 47 users
SN2ed,

Do you have any suggestion for a 5 month variation? I'm taking a light course load so ideally I'd like to spend about 2-3 hrs a day and more on the weekend. Maybe doing 1 chapter of each section a week and splitting that work equally over 6 days? I have all the EK 1001 books and I'm getting the BR books for verbal, ochem and gchem. Or should I do more practice problems as well as more FLs at the end? Thanks!

I do not suggest a 5 month study schedule. Four months is already pushing it. Actually, I'm tempted to take it down now that I've extended the 3 month version and made it more manageable. You should take the MCAT during the summer rather than during school.

Taking it in the summer would be ideal... but what if we don't have that luxury... is there any other way to make it work? any suggestions at all?

Taking it in the summer would be ideal... but what if we don't have that luxury... is there any other way to make it work? any suggestions at all?

Unfortunately, I don't have much advise. I have not seen a 4+ month strategy that appeared effective for most people. Also, I feel very strongly that it's a bad idea to study for the MCAT while in school. I wish I could provide more assistance, but studying for the MCAT during school is like swimming in a river. There will be calm areas. There will be rapids. I don't know what's ahead for you nor can I predict how well you can navigate through the white water. It is up to you and your assessment of the situation and your abilities. All I know is that most people sacrifice their GPA or MCAT and sometimes both while swimming downstream.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, I don't have much advise. I have not seen a 4+ month strategy that appeared effective for most people. Also, I feel very strongly that it's a bad idea to study for the MCAT while in school. I wish I could provide more assistance, but studying for the MCAT during school is like swimming in a river. There will be calm areas. There will be rapids. I don't know what's ahead for you nor can I predict how well you can navigate through the white water. It is up to you and your assessment of the situation and your abilities. All I know is that most people sacrifice their GPA or MCAT and sometimes both while swimming downstream.

With all that said, many people do fine taking a January exam or a March exam. In fact, statistically there are the same scores as any other testing date (say August). There is no proof for this idea, just anecdotal evidence that could be found to support either side.

hey sn2ed, i am currently a senior and plan on taking next academic year off and working a job for a year in a different state to establish residency. i completed all of my concentration requirements and can afford to take an easy course load this fall. i should have the time to study for the mcat using your 4 month plan and take the mcat january 30th. however, after reading your previous posts from this thread it seems you are very anti-school year prep. i feel, however, that working a job in a new environment next year will be equally time demanding and may not be advantageous for mcat prep versus this fall/winter. your thoughts?

It's really up to you since I don't personally know your skill level or how easy your schedule will be. I don't think either situation is a good one. If you're absolutely sure you can't fit in a few months, pick whichever option you think would work better. Both choices have their benefits and drawbacks.

Hi. Sorry but this is the first time I'm actually thinking of following such a regimen and I don't really understand some of the lingo on the schedule.

What does 1/3 of the corresponding passages mean? Also, what is exactly the Phase I and Phase II, etc? Lastly, you mentioned that verbal passages should be done every day on top of the schedule for that day?

Thanks a bunch!

Hi. Sorry but this is the first time I'm actually thinking of following such a regimen and I don't really understand some of the lingo on the schedule.

What does 1/3 of the corresponding passages mean? Also, what is exactly the Phase I and Phase II, etc? Lastly, you mentioned that verbal passages should be done every day on top of the schedule for that day?

Thanks a bunch!

The 1/3 is explained in the guide. Also, my guide doesn't use BR's Phases. Finally, yes, verbal passages should be done every day on top of the schedule except on break days.

Hello, I took the mcat in January and got a 22. I want to kick it up to a 32+ Will your plan work for me even though I am extremely weak in my overall content. I got a 7 PS 7 Verbal and 8 BS. I am taking it again in January and have a month before the "three month period" Should I start reviewing content now since I'm so weak and start your plan exactly three months before my test date? Also, I did little review and just went over the aamc tests..I've done about 8 of the exams. I shouldn't repeat these exams as you've mentioned so what are the best FL's to practice w other than the official AAMC ones?

I am having a terrible time finding the Berkley review books. I need to pay with my credit card so I can't buy them directly from their site. Any suggestions?

Hello, I took the mcat in January and got a 22. I want to kick it up to a 32+ Will your plan work for me even though I am extremely weak in my overall content. I got a 7 PS 7 Verbal and 8 BS. I am taking it again in January and have a month before the "three month period" Should I start reviewing content now since I'm so weak and start your plan exactly three months before my test date? Also, I did little review and just went over the aamc tests..I've done about 8 of the exams. I shouldn't repeat these exams as you've mentioned so what are the best FL's to practice w other than the official AAMC ones?

I am having a terrible time finding the Berkley review books. I need to pay with my credit card so I can't buy them directly from their site. Any suggestions?

You should spend the extra time analyzing what went wrong the first time. Also, go back and look over old tests. After your analysis, try to fix your weaknesses. Next, I wouldn't start the guide at exactly 3 months, but at roughly 100 days before your test date. On that note, make sure you schedule your test as soon as possible. You don't want to finish your studying only to find there are no spots.

Since you've used up the AAMC practice tests, I suggest you take Gold Standard's practice tests. Berkeley Reviews practice tests are solid as well, but they're expensive. About GS's practice tests, your score will be a couple points lower than normal.

You can indirectly use a credit card to buy BR books. What you need to do is get a money order from your bank or the post office or wherever. I've heard money ordering is the easiest way to order from BR.

Ugh. I REALLY wish they would update their unprofessional and archaic website.

Hey SN2ed,

I am taking my MCAT in January and I am very very slowly beginning preparation now, but I plan on following your study guide strictly once time allows and I had one question I was hoping you could help me with.....

I have all the MCAT material you have listed for prep and I have reviewed/read some of the BR books in the past (I have the most recent BR set) while attempting to study for the MCAT.... However, I recently was able to purchase the 2009 TPR set and to me personally, I find the TPR set more amazing then the BR books in terms of content. Although I do agree BR is money in terms of passage practice.... So, I was wondering if I could do my Content review with TPR as my primary source and use BR content as a reference (and at times actual content when needed) and of course, use the BR practice passages..... Please let me know what you think... Your advice and time is greatly appreciated!!

Hey SN2ed,

I am taking my MCAT in January and I am very very slowly beginning preparation now, but I plan on following your study guide strictly once time allows and I had one question I was hoping you could help me with.....

I have all the MCAT material you have listed for prep and I have reviewed/read some of the BR books in the past (I have the most recent BR set) while attempting to study for the MCAT.... However, I recently was able to purchase the 2009 TPR set and to me personally, I find the TPR set more amazing then the BR books in terms of content. Although I do agree BR is money in terms of passage practice.... So, I was wondering if I could do my Content review with TPR as my primary source and use BR content as a reference (and at times actual content when needed) and of course, use the BR practice passages..... Please let me know what you think... Your advice and time is greatly appreciated!!

Now if this is TPR Hyperlearning, go for it. That is a great series of books. However, if it's the TPR big book, don't do it. Fortunately, it sounds like you have the Hyperlearning books since you mentioned set.

For the practice passages, stick with BR if you haven't already done them. If you've only done some, supplement some passages with the TPR Hyperlearning Science Workbook.

It is the TPR Hyperlearning set and I will stick with BR passages for practice, thanks for your help!

Side note: I truly appreciate all the hard work you have put into making that fantastic schedule, and I'm sure there are hundreds if not thousands of people who have already benefited from your advice, time, and help as well! Best wishes for all that lies ahead! Thanks again buddy! Take care

Members don't see this ad :)
Now if this is TPR Hyperlearning, go for it. That is a great series of books. However, if it's the TPR big book, don't do it. Fortunately, it sounds like you have the Hyperlearning books since you mentioned set.

For the practice passages, stick with BR if you haven't already done them. If you've only done some, supplement some passages with the TPR Hyperlearning Science Workbook.

It is the TPR Hyperlearning set and I will stick with BR passages for practice, thanks for your help!

Side note: I truly appreciate all the hard work you have put into making that fantastic schedule, and I'm sure there are hundreds if not thousands of people who have already benefited from your advice, time, and help as well! Best wishes for all that lies ahead! Thanks again buddy! Take care

Hey there,

I was looking at your 3 month MCAT prep plan. Thanks alot for making this available for everyone. I especially like the emphasis on passages. A couple of questions:

1. Have you (or anyone else) completed this study schedule and perform well on the MCAT, if you don't mind me asking?

2. Have you thought about incorporating TPR science workbook, which is basically just hundreds of passages, into the schedule- rather than the discretes from EK1001 series? If I wanted to do this, how could I best fit them in?

Thanks

Have you thought about incorporating TPR science workbook, which is basically just hundreds of passages, into the schedule- rather than the discretes from EK1001 series? If I wanted to do this, how could I best fit them in?

Thanks

I wouldn't replace the EK 1001 series with the TPR Hyperlearning Science Workbook. The two things target different things. If you want to use the workbook, I'd add the problems over the 3 months of the schedule.

Great, thanks for the help.

And the first question: has anyone followed this schedule with success? Have you taken it SN2ed?

Thanks

Last edited:
Great, thanks for the help.

And the first question: has anyone followed this schedule with success? Have you taken it SN2ed?

Thanks

I followed this schedule, mostly, and I ended up with a 35R. It's an amazing schedule. I encourage everyone to use it!

Hey SN2ed- I was given the BR books from copyright 2001,2000. Would you recommend purchasing the newer books? Is there a difference between them?

Hey SN2ed- I was given the BR books from copyright 2001,2000. Would you recommend purchasing the newer books? Is there a difference between them?

This was posted by BerkReviewTeach a little while ago:

In terms of the editions for the books, here is a mix of the reply I got from the office along with my input based on feedback from students I tutored last summer:

Biology: There is a 2008 version, but the book is pretty much the same as it was in 2004 with minor editting and upgrading of drawings since that time. Avoid books from before 2004.

Verbal Reasoning: There are a 2008 and 2009 version that look the same to me. It underwent a major overhaul in 2007, where more technqiues were incorporated into the answer explanations. After running it by students for a year, it went to print as it is now. It also took into account the CBT and issues associated with a computer screen. Avoid books from before 2008.

General Chemistry: There is a 2009 version. It underwent an overhaul in 2004 (in terms of passages and sequence of topics). Apparently it's being revised and editted at this time to match the physics book that was supposed to be out this past spring. But once the new edition comes out (probably late Fall 2009), it will be the version of choice. For now, avoid books from before 2004.

Physics: There is a 2009 version. It has had changes to some of the answer explanations with every new session of the class, but the text has been constant since 2002. There were new passages introduced and changes to existing passages in 2004 and 2007. Selected chapters from the upsoming version of the physics books are supposedly going to be used in the classroom this summer. The new book apparently should be out in the Fall. Avoid books from before 2007.

Organic Chemistry: There is a 2009 version. It underwent a major overhaul in 2004 (when the AAMC people decided to change the content on the MCAT--no more benzene and alkene chemistry, amongst other changes). It also incorporated some biology subjects (mostly biochemistry, in an effort to serve as a sort of Cliff Notes for those topics). Avoid books from before 2004.

My personal opinion is that the year is not as important as the condition. If it's marked in, then it's natural to overemphaisze what has been written in the book. Worry first that the copy is clean (even if it's been erased, indentations from circled letters give you a bias when you attempt a question). If the books are clean, then used books seem fine for most subjects. I'd probably get the physics and general chemistry brand new if it were me, but those are the subjects I most would not want a previous user's influence.

Just to see what's out there, I looked at Amazon and have to laugh at the following offer: $72.49 for a used Physics Part I

Based on the Amazon prices, I would definitely not buy from them. If they come up on eBay, that would probably be the better way to go.

Question for ya, Sn2ED. I will be applying summer 2010. My application is looking pretty solid, but I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I am the kind of studier who does best after dedicating consistent and focused study over a short period of time. That's why I think your schedule is perfect in my case.

The problem is that I won't have completed second semester physics until later April. That doesn't give me much time to study if I want to submit with everything available on June 1st. So, my question is this. Do you think your schedule is feasible with this schedule:

• General Physics II-3.0
  • General Physics II Lab-1.0
  • Brain Anatomy-2.0
  • Cell Biology-3.0
  • Neuroscience research ~9 hrs/week
Those are my hard classes. The other classes will literally require NO time and give me a total of 14 credit hours. I won't be working.

So in your opinion, given my outside schedule, would your schedule work if I used it February-April and then took the test at the end of April/beginning of May?

Question for ya, Sn2ED. I will be applying summer 2010. My application is looking pretty solid, but I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I am the kind of studier who does best after dedicating consistent and focused study over a short period of time. That's why I think your schedule is perfect in my case.

The problem is that I won't have completed second semester physics until later April. That doesn't give me much time to study if I want to submit with everything available on June 1st. So, my question is this. Do you think your schedule is feasible with this schedule:

• General Physics II-3.0
  • General Physics II Lab-1.0
  • Brain Anatomy-2.0
  • Cell Biology-3.0
  • Neuroscience research ~9 hrs/week
Those are my hard classes. The other classes will literally require NO time and give me a total of 14 credit hours. I won't be working.

So in your opinion, given my outside schedule, would your schedule work if I used it February-April and then took the test at the end of April/beginning of May?

You should study during the summer. Going into the MCAT without ALL of your pre-reqs is pointless. Take the MCAT in the summer after you complete Physics II and Cell Biology and apply early the following year.

You should study during the summer. Going into the MCAT without ALL of your pre-reqs is pointless. Take the MCAT in the summer after you complete Physics II and Cell Biology and apply early the following year.

The following year as in summer of 2011? Are you kidding me? Haha I think I'll be fine studying in the spring semester. Next year...? I don't think so.

The following year as in summer of 2011? Are you kidding me? Haha I think I'll be fine studying in the spring semester. Next year...? I don't think so.

Yes, studying in summer 2010 and then applying in June 2011 or applying June 2010 with an August 2010 MCAT. If you don't want to, that's your call. I have already written why I think it's a bad choice to study during the school year.

Last edited:
Yes, studying in summer 2010 and then applying in June 2011 or applying June 2010 with an August 2010 MCAT. If you don't want to, that's your call. I have already written why I think it's a bad choice to study during the school year.

Yeah, I understand why it's not an ideal situation, but waiting another year is not in the cards. Thanks for the input!

Unfortunately, I don't want to share that information. I hope my advice is helpful without pretense.

Thanks for understanding.

That is completely understandable. I don't want to come across as a jerk, but have you at least studied for and taken the MCAT? This is pretty important to know if people are considering following your study plan.

Thanks

That is completely understandable. I don't want to come across as a jerk, but have you at least studied for and taken the MCAT? This is pretty important to know if people are considering following your study plan.

Thanks

No, that's a reasonable question. Yes, I have taken the MCAT. I took it in 2007.

I used this schedule from the first day. I didn't really keep up with all of the verbal practice, and I was burning out a little at the end and decided not to do any hat trick, but other than that followed it to the T. I'll get my scores in two days, and will post them here. I kind of agree with SN2ed though, in that one or two examples of scores is essentially irrelevant. Unless one were take a matched sampling of say, 200 students following this schedule, 200 students following their own self study schedule, 200 students following each different class, then crunching all the numbers when the MCAT comes back, the scores you do see mean nothing really.

I feel like it was a great schedule.

Just out of curiosity, why ask then? :confused: It sounds like you already made up your mind before posting.

First, I wanted to know what you thought.

Second, I thought you might say something along the lines of: "No. That wouldn't work for February to April for your schedule, but maybe if you dropped the cell biology for something easier."

I mentioned at the beginning that I would be applying summer 2010.

First, I wanted to know what you thought.

Second, I thought you might say something along the lines of: "No. That wouldn't work for February to April for your schedule, but maybe if you dropped the cell biology for something easier."

I mentioned at the beginning that I would be applying summer 2010.

Ah okay. Well along those lines then, I suggest you switch out Brain Anatomy for an easier class. I'm guessing you may be able to take that later if you need it. I'd definitely keep Physics (for the obvious reasons) and Cell Bio since both of those classes should help you prepare.

Additionally, if you could scale back your research or do it later, that would add more time to spend on the MCAT. While research is a nice aspect to have on your primary, you should focus more on the MCAT because that's a vital piece. You could do research later and tell the schools during your interview, on the secondaries, or by sending an update letter.

Thanks BR. I think I will order the books off of the official BR website. "Late Fall 2009" means November/ December?

Are you a college junior right now? If so, you need to understand that taking an extra year to apply isn't some stupid idea that should be thrown out. Many, many medical students take time off and do things between college and medical school. Also, you'll do better in your classes AND on your MCAT if you're not studying for both at the same time. So consider it before dismissing it.

Im curious to know how helpful the hat trick is?

It will help some people that have problems connecting topics together. For others, it will serve mainly as a content refresher. Either way, you shouldn't devote that much time to it unless you have trouble with it. The hat trick is more of a cool down exercise for the end.

SN2ed, do you think the EK Verbal strategy book is needed in addition to the Verbal 101 book or will the 101 book and TPR hyperlearning workbook be sufficient?

I got the EK verbal strategy book. The strategy boils down to read the passage closely once, then answer the questions, only looking back if you really need to. And use the questions stems to get hints about the passages.

There, saved money :p

Edit: It is good advice though

I got the EK verbal strategy book. The strategy boils down to read the passage closely once, then answer the questions, only looking back if you really need to. And use the questions stems to get hints about the passages.

There, saved money :p

Edit: It is good advice though

lol. Pretty close. But he is right, just read the verbal advice threads and save your $. You just need to instead buy a bunch of practice passages.

I am making a competing post soon, I will call it

"Bisecting the MCAT: your 120 day guide through hell"

"subdividing the MCAT: A 90 day study schedule that will make you cry"

If anyone has any other good title ideas then let me know. Or any requests in what to put in my MCAT guide.

i used this schedule from the first day. I didn't really keep up with all of the verbal practice, and i was burning out a little at the end and decided not to do any hat trick, but other than that followed it to the t. I'll get my scores in two days, and will post them here. I kind of agree with sn2ed though, in that one or two examples of scores is essentially irrelevant. Unless one were take a matched sampling of say, 200 students following this schedule, 200 students following their own self study schedule, 200 students following each different class, then crunching all the numbers when the mcat comes back, the scores you do see mean nothing really.

I feel like it was a great schedule.

35 n. 12/11/12

Wow! That is a great score!

I was wondering if you would be willing to share what premed courses you took and how well did you did in them?

English: A
Gen Chem: C / B
Gen Bio: C / B-
Physics: A+ / A+
Organic: A+ / A+
Organic Lab: A
And not premed, but helped me catch up on some gen chem concepts after slacking freshman year - Quant. Analysis: A+

SN2ed: That was a joke :p Thanks again for the schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.