BREAKING NEWS-UQ-Ipswich is no longer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qldking

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The campus has been sold to University of Southern Queensland.

No decision as of yet re-the med school but a significant overseas medical student population will likely be affected and forced to St Lucia with 550 other students.Things keep spiraling out of control with the corporate approach to education.

Looks like UQ is at it again!

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/hig...-major-make-over/story-e6frgcjx-1226712043669

Members don't see this ad.

All suggestions have been that the campus will be shared. There have been rumors about Toowoomba (where there is already a large, and very popular, Phase 2 cohort)(rumors between students only, nothing from UQ). No one but qldking has claimed students will be moved to St Lucia.
(Your "breaking" news is also a story published 7 months ago...?)

More recent information: http://www.uq.edu.au/news/article/2...boration-aims-boost-ipswich-education-options
An agreement between The University of Queensland (UQ) and the University of Southern Queensland (USQ) is likely to lead to increased tertiary education opportunities in Ipswich.
The universities have signed a non-binding memorandum of understanding to consider how USQ could develop its operations in Ipswich through the UQ campus.

I've also never before seen the Ipswich campus referred to as "UQ-Ipswich" (rather confusing for the readers of this forum being interested in the UQ-Ochsner program!).

Last edited:
No, Paramedics/Nursing are already gone...

And how will clinicians be enticed to go all the way to Toowoomba for lectures/practicals, unless you want to further use resources that currently are set for clinical year students?

Breaking news is that if this severs the relationship with Ipswich Hospital, it would be a huge black eye on the MBBS program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty desperate, qldking. And clueless, trying to infer anything after being so far behind the ball.

if this severs the relationship with Ipswich Hospital

How and why would a pre-clinical campus of UQ have anything to do with the entirely separate Ipswich hospital?

Remembering that all suggestions have been that the medical course will remain at the campus and the only interaction pre-clinical students directly have with the hospital is 1.5 hours of clinical tutoring once a week in Year 2.

Keep in mind that most year 2 lectures come from Ipswich clinicians and many students chose/were allocated/forced to Ipswich under the premise that it would be for a smaller cohort and supposedly more interactive and personal teaching.

But what will happen as the campus continues to increase in size?

And we still don't know yet if the medical school will remain on campus....this would be a huge disaster if they were funneled back to Brisbane.

Pretty desperate, qldking. And clueless, trying to infer anything after being so far behind the ball.

I knew about it then...was just looking for an article.

Things are looking quite bleak though as I hear it...

You're welcome. It will be better though for us to fork over 350k blindly and then receive an email 'Hey we were going to move you to St Lucia! Go find housing and enjoy being with 600 other students on a campus of 20,000 students! Kind regards [insert name of faceless entity in the corporate ivory tower]!'

I'm sorry but isn't it a good thing to be on a campus with 20k students. I wouldn't want to be in some campus in the middle of nowhere.

If you're 18, sure, it's better. But that campus is really hard to navigate and find open space.

And the lectures are in a giant auditorium with lots of background noise.

qldking, maybe if you actually knew something about the arrangements for the students, had some insight into the issue, had anything new to say in this "BREAKING NEWS" thread of yours, were up to date with even the media stories on this that poke holes through your doomsday scenarios, or haven't been caught out being completely wrong on every claimed fact in your past obsessive rants against Ochsner, then maybe people might better receive you.

Have you noticed that your threads are really all about you?

Last edited:
It is an interesting issue for the minority of students (~90, and much smaller international representation) interested in attending the Ipswich campus, however Qldking has attempted to misrepresent it as secret, controversial information (which it isn't).
This obsession with the administration of the school verges on weird. Like any university, if you stay out of trouble, the administration will remain anonymously in the background and of no direct relevance to your learning.

'2) The campus wasn't "sold", there are simply talks underway as to how UQ could better utilize the campus. Nothing has been even remotely decided.'

It's definitely been given to USQ. No one yet knows what will happen to med--Paramedics and Nursing are already gone for 2015.

I am simply trying to help people out and make sure we are all informed. I'm surprised people are actually taking the side of the corporation here.

Since no one else has a vendetta against UQ, no one else sees this announcement from last year as an opportunity to "take sides". I'm not even sure who you think the sides are, you vs UQ?

UQ is a non-entity, insignificant cog in a an ever expanding chain- it's about the corporatization of education and the lack of regard for students that should concern us all.

You probably won't worry about it until it finally affects you when your enter into the internship scheme.

Last edited:
So this is all nothing personal against UQ, and you're really just anti-corporatization of education generally? Phwew. I'm glad we got that straight. I don't know how anyone could have thought your rants were about UQ.

So this is all nothing personal against UQ, and you're really just anti-corporatization of education generally? Phwew. I'm glad we got that straight. I don't know how anyone could have thought your rants were about UQ.

UQ is simply a player that has picked up on the American model of education. The effects of its decisions and policies will be felt very quickly by any recent graduates.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe qldking will likely ignore this dressing down, abandon his current attack, and switch to yet another unsupportable rant once he convinces himself in a few days that forum members have collectively forgotten (by projection?). This sort of "amnesia" is classic of certain bitter, obsessive types whom we've seen come and go (and come and go...) over the years.