Breakthrough or Fluke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tweetiez17

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a practive and got a 18 :scared: 7BS, 5VR, 6 PS - AAMC 6

on AAMC 3R I had an 8 on BS and 4 VR and 7PS

This morning i took a Verbal section alone- VR from AAMC5 and scored a 9 :)
not perfect but ill take it seeing as how its basically a combo of my previous 2 scores

This test is chewing me up and i needed that morale boost. But do you think this is a fluke or is AAMC5 VR an easier section?

I have 3 weeks until my July 18 exam which i want to take what are your tips for helping me get improvements in all my areas. My goal is a 30 :idea:

please help me with sound advice, notes or anything you can. Thanks and good luck to all.

Members don't see this ad.

not perfect but ill take it seeing as how its basically a combo of my previous 2 scores

This test is chewing me up and i needed that morale boost. But do you think this is a fluke or is AAMC5 VR an easier section?

I have 3 weeks until my July 18 exam which i want to take what are your tips for helping me get improvements in all my areas. My goal is a 30 :idea:

please help me with sound advice, notes or anything you can. Thanks and good luck to all.

Congratulations! It sounds like you are making progress.There are some techniques for verbal, but in the end for the final few points it always comes down to "fluke". Get that VR up to a 9 or so all the time and you'll be set.
At this point, it's probably just as important to focus on your PS/BS sections. To get a 30, those need to be up to par as well.
You can do it! Just study your tail off!:luck:

I'll say this, given that you have less than a month before your MCAT, I would honestly reflect and think about postponing the test. Nothing worse than $200 to find out you got the same scores as now.

Getting 7/4/8 (or 7/9/8, we'll say 7/7/8 on average) isn't going to improve by much unless the next couple practice mcats improve by a large margine (10,9,10 min) and stay there consistently. So, all I can say is keep practicing but make sure the conditions are similiar to the real deal and post back with updated scores. The verbal is so random, though, that it's difficult to gauge improvement. I was getting 10/9s on average but I would go down to 7 on one because of how large the range of topics covered in verbal.
I'm not saying I don't think it can be done, but that you might have to postpone if you want 30-30+.

Hey Congrats! I know how it feels to move up. But since you have 3 weeks, I agree with the poster above. Take a few more FL to get a sense of whether this is a fluke or not. That way you can decide if you are in the position to sit for the test.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
i was set to take it on may 31st and postponed it till now. I work alot and amd drained at the end of the day so post work studying is rarely fruitful. Ive just bee weekend studying with maybe a few days in the week for reviewing I've been doing mostly PR hyperlearning prolem sets and those 3 exams. I plan to do more since i have access to all the AAMC exams. Postponing again is another $50 and will lessen my ability to apply this cycle. I hope i can do it before the 7/18 test date.

i was set to take it on may 31st and postponed it till now. I work alot and amd drained at the end of the day so post work studying is rarely fruitful. Ive just bee weekend studying with maybe a few days in the week for reviewing I've been doing mostly PR hyperlearning prolem sets and those 3 exams. I plan to do more since i have access to all the AAMC exams. Postponing again is another $50 and will lessen my ability to apply this cycle. I hope i can do it before the 7/18 test date.
I realize it's burdening and tiring (believe me; I just did it working 2 jobs and volunteering for the june 13th mcat.) but trust me; the effort put in wtih the results wanted is more than worth the trouble of applying this cycle with a subpar score that you aren't happy with. Postponing via $50 is cheaper than applying and not getting in; retaking the mcat and applying later. That's at least 2000 thrown down the drain when you could, possibly, wait a year and apply then.