Brief plug for EK CARS > TPR CARS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aalamruad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd give a brief plug for EK CARS being incredibly superior to TPR CARS for those of you who are trying to decide which book to buy. I went through the entire TPR CARS book, and after deciding to crack open my EK CARS book, it's shocking how much better the EK version is. If you want details on why that's the case, feel free to ask and I'll elaborate, but I just thought I should help prevent those of you who are/were planning on buying the TPR version from wasting your money and your energy on their incredibly flawed strategies and tactics.

Good luck to everyone studying for the MCAT!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you talking about the TPR Verbal or TPRH? And are you talking about EK 101? There are many versions of CARS practice from both companies so please specify!

Can you elaborate? What was better and why?
Are you talking about the TPR Verbal or TPRH? And are you talking about EK 101? There are many versions of CARS practice from both companies so please specify!
@azchuck

To be clear, I'm referring to the 2015 TPR CARS book (https://www.google.com/search?q=tpr...m=shop&q=tpr+cars+mcat&spd=931381155270187697) and the EK strategy that can be found in the EK "Reasoning Skills" book that was designed for CARS (https://www.examkrackers.com/store/Product_Details.aspx?p=178). I can't comment on hyperlearning vs EK101, but I've heard that hyperlearning may edge out EK101. Either way, I'm going to complete every passage in both books (as well as all AAMC prep material), because extra practice certainly can't hurt, regardless of slight differences in quality.

In reference to the strategies proposed by TPR and EK, the first thing that struck me after having read and tried both is that the EK strategy is so much more intuitive and simple, which ends up being incredibly important when it comes to time management. EK provides a few basic techniques and drills that ingrain the conceptual aspects of the the passages that you need to be familiar with. These are easy to learn, and perhaps even easier to implement because they make tackling passages feel so natural.

On the other hand, TPR's strategy is convoluted, impractical, and frankly exhausting. Even though an enormous number of students struggle with time pressure on this section, they recommend a bunch of time-consuming and unnecessary tactics such as:
1) Skimming a little bit of every passage right when you start the section to get a feel for their various difficulties, and then ranking them from easiest to most difficult and completing them in that order.
2) Skipping the most difficult passage altogether, and randomly guessing on all of the questions for that passage. Absolutely absurd.
3) Highlighting like crazy, including just about every word that indicates any sort of transition.
4) Writing the main idea for every paragraph onto your scratch paper (hint: it turns out that paragraphs aren't meant to be understood/analyzed as individual units, but rather must be viewed in direct relation to each other)
5) Memorizing a large list of all possible question types, and then taking the time to fit each question into one of those categories before trying to answer it.
6) Plenty of other time-consuming (read: time-wasting) "pointers" that make it so you probably do, in fact, have to end up skipping the last passage to finish in time.

Now fortunately for TPR, all of this is very marketable, because it's relatively original and teachable, whereas the more intuitive ideas that EK has to offer don't create the same kind of buzz. The EK book actually calls out other test prep companies (most likely directed at TPR) for their inefficient strategies, and gives pretty solid evidence to back up their critiques.

My scores have increased since making the switch of strategies, but more importantly, my speed has shot up an incredible amount. I have plenty of time to answer every question in every passage without the burden of complicated "passage-mapping", and that makes all the difference as long as you're capable of understanding why the correct answers are in fact correct.

Bottom line is that the marketability of TPR's complicated strategies seems to be overshadowing its poorly thought out content, and EK's incredibly efficient method is easier to learn, easier to implement, and easier to maintain during high-pressure and exhausting circumstances (which will be the circumstances you'll be testing under).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I completely agree with you @walloobi, and I'll just add that I used Kaplan and ExamKrackers, and EK was better than the Kaplan CARS too, for pretty much the same reason.

For most questions, CARS pretty much boils down to being able to intuitively understand the big picture that the author is trying to paint. All you need to ask is: What is the author trying to say? This will help with most questions, while there are some questions where you have to be able to see how some details contribute or fit in to the text as a whole.

The complicated strategies advocated by the big prep companies just waste your time and seem to inhibit an intuitive understanding of the passages, while the EK strategies are simple and develop the intuition need to see the bigger picture.

Agreed. Gave up on the TPR strategies after trying it a few times. Waste of time most of them

I think generally the consensus is that AAMC > TPRH >= EK > Other things. It's really hard to get a copy of TPRH though, so EK is definitely the best practice on the market aside from the official tests.

Strategy-wise, I would develop your own way of doing things over time. The number of practice tests that you do, and how disciplined you are matter a lot more to most people than learning "tricks" or "techniques" for trying to beat the exams.

Maybe things have changed since I last took it, but I remember TPR =/= TPRH. The TPRH was only available through the class that you had to pay a lot of money for. That being said, I recall copies being sold on Ebay for more expensive than other review books.