Brief reading level measure prior to MMPI-2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LightBulb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need a very brief reading test with a grade level scale that I can give prior to giving MMPI-2's.

I was thinking of using one of the subtests from the Woodcock-Johnson -IV. Maybe, passage comprehension?

I don't favor the WRAT4 for this purpose because it isn't an instant scoring test like the WJ-IV.

Is there anything better for this purpose? What would you guys use?

Members don't see this ad.

The WRAT or the WTAR can be scored in like 10 seconds. It will take MUCH longer to administer Passage Comp and enter it into the scoring program than to give a word reading task and score it.

Reactions: 1 user
The WRAT or the WTAR can be scored in like 10 seconds. It will take MUCH longer to administer Passage Comp and enter it into the scoring program than to give a word reading task and score it.

Awesome! So you would just give the word reading subtest of the WRAT4 and call it good enough or would you give both the word reading and sentence comprehension?

Members don't see this ad :)
If the purpose is solely to determine whether or not they meet the minimum reading requirements for the MMPI, sure, the WRAT is fine. If you're getting a psychosocial history, you probably don't even need that. If they finished high school, or in most cases, even just made it to high school, they generally have the reading level for the MMPI. If you're really worried about poor readers, the PAI could be an alternative as it's billed at a 4th grade reading level, although the MMPI-RF is generally ok as low as teh 4-6th grade reading levels, depending on the metric used.

I would probably just give the word reading subtest, score quickly and unless it pops up a problem I would move on. Most folks are going to have the 6th grade reading level anyway so I don't make that a regular part of my work with the MMPI unless there is a real reason for it (low education, etc).

Ok, cool. To clarify, should I do the whole reading composite score (both subtests, half of the whole test) or just the word reading?

WRAT word reading is generally good enough to gauge, and correlates reasonably well (~0.7 to 0.8) with the WTAR and NAART if you want to use one of those instead. If they graduated high school (with a diploma rather than a certificate of completion), as has already been said, that's more corroborating evidence.

If you're really worried, could always also do a quick qualitative-type analysis and have the person read a few of the items out loud to you and briefly explain what they mean.

Most adult forensics are going to have about an 8th-9th grade reading level so should be fine with the MMPI-2, RF, or PAI. While some may not have graduated HS, it is uncommon for them not to be able to read at the requisite level. Personally, I would feel pretty comfortable using TRIN/VRIN to catch that but doing a word reading test will give you the rest of what you need.