Brigham vs MGH Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I dont know anything specific about any residencies. My above statement applies in general to those people that are type A, driven, etc. A ton of my attendings for example have been divorced at least once.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont know anything specific about any residencies. My above statement applies in general to those people that are type A, driven, etc. A ton of my attendings for example have been divorced at least once.

A ton of my attendings for example haven't been divorced at least once.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm willing to give my first born child but wondering about my score. I see that plenty of people in the 220's and 230's make it to good name programs like Yale and Columbia for anesthesia, which is something you don't see in other specialties.

I'm willing to give my first born child but wondering about my score. I see that plenty of people in the 220's and 230's make it to good name programs like Yale and Columbia for anesthesia, which is something you don't see in other specialties.

Well some places have name but the program is not as good as you'd think. I'm surprised at some of the places I've loved and some that I didn't

I see. Do you think then, that there is any value at all in the trade off between A. Lower reputation of Yale in field of anesthesia with B. Easier admission + prestige of name in general? And if anyone is familiar with it, how does the pain fellowship at Yale rank and how is it viewed by hospitals when it comes to looking for a job as an attending? Thanks!

Bumping this to ask if anyone has MGH's FREIDA information from last year. It's listed as not accepting applicants for 2018-2019, a lie since I have gotten an invite, but FREIDA doesn't give me the useful info left off their website. Thanks for the info on the retreat - what's the call schedule and salary like? Am I buying my wife an expensive-ass insurance or are you helping?

Bumping this to ask if anyone has MGH's FREIDA information from last year. It's listed as not accepting applicants for 2018-2019, a lie since I have gotten an invite, but FREIDA doesn't give me the useful info left off their website. Thanks for the info on the retreat - what's the call schedule and salary like? Am I buying my wife an expensive-ass insurance or are you helping?

Call schedule is definitely important but are you really choosing residencies based on salary and insurance? The spread of pay between programs isn't that big and the training/name brand is definitely worth it.

Call schedule is definitely important but are you really choosing residencies based on salary and insurance? The spread of pay between programs isn't that big and the training/name brand is definitely worth it.

Salary no. Insurance suggests program opinion of residents and willingness to treat this more like a serious job and not like exploitation. If a residency program is willing to offer at least a resident contributory spousal program, it suggests they understand their residents are human adults with human adult needs. A program with no insurance for spouses and a long work week shows exactly where they prioritize resident mental and physical health.

Big name is absolutely worth it but if that's the only big-name I have, I want to make sure my less big-name programs aren't going to kill me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Salary no. Insurance suggests program opinion of residents and willingness to treat this more like a serious job and not like exploitation. If a residency program is willing to offer at least a resident contributory spousal program, it suggests they understand their residents are human adults with human adult needs. A program with no insurance for spouses and a long work week shows exactly where they prioritize resident mental and physical health.

Big name is absolutely worth it but if that's the only big-name I have, I want to make sure my less big-name programs aren't going to kill me.
I sympathize with your thinking. That's why I am telling you: keep it for yourself. People are judgmental and will interpret your concerns in a negative way. This ain't Europe.

Au contraire, most places will want to get the feeling that you would kill yourself working hard, just for the honor of being there. I understand that you are a Millennial, but the people who are hiring you are not.

I sympathize with your thinking. That's why I am telling you: keep it for yourself. People are judgmental and will interpret your concerns in a negative way. This ain't Europe.

Au contraire, most places will want to get the feeling that you would kill yourself working hard, just for the honor of being there.

I suppose saying something like, "my marriage is pretty much over anyways and I'm happy to have work instead of personality be the final nail in the coffin" is too blunt, right?

While I sympathize, I think you might be expecting a bit much. I know of some rural/suburban academic places that have spousal support / job placement programs but that is only for new faculty hires, definitely not residents.

I’m in fellowship at a place that apparently wins awards for its insurance/health/wellness activities and even they don’t pay for my entire family or spouse (it is nice to get free insurance, and my wife’s insurance is a lot less than what she’s pay through her job).

It’s big cost for an institution or a job to pay for health insurance, in my limited opinion expecting them to cover your spouse or family borders on unreasonable unless your spouse also works for them.

I fully admit that I hope I’m wrong, though!

Also, just about every institution has resident benefits listed under their GME website so look at those directly. You can ask on interviews as well, but be careful to not sound entitled (“I am so awesome that my spouse should get insurance too duh!”)

All Partners hospitals have the same benefits. Go to the Partners GME office to see what resident benefits are.

Also, just about every institution has resident benefits listed under their GME website so look at those directly. You can ask on interviews as well, but be careful to not sound entitled (“I am so awesome that my spouse should get insurance too duh!”)

I counter that most businesses the size of your average hospital system offer some form of spousal insurance. A mid-level manager working full-time at that hospital gets some form of spousal insurance I'll wager. I'm sure the family plan is ridiculously expensive but at least it will be there.

It's not a matter of thinking I am somehow special or that my wife need special treatment. It's a matter of treating residents like the professionals they are. Hospitals like to play it both ways and same residents are in training so they don't get the regular benefits but we're employees so we get some amount of money and still need to pay taxes.

I counter that most businesses the size of your average hospital system offer some form of spousal insurance. A mid-level manager working full-time at that hospital gets some form of spousal insurance I'll wager. I'm sure the family plan is ridiculously expensive but at least it will be there.

It's not a matter of thinking I am somehow special or that my wife need special treatment. It's a matter of treating residents like the professionals they are. Hospitals like to play it both ways and same residents are in training so they don't get the regular benefits but we're employees so we get some amount of money and still need to pay taxes.
Oh, please... I am supposed to be the pompous ass on this forum.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh, please... I am supposed to be the pompous ass on this forum.
It's not really pomposity the say full-time employees at big businesses should have family plan insurance available. All things considered I think that's pretty conservative idea. If it's not important to you then you won't care about it. It is slightly important to me and so I will care about it but it won't be enough to sink an application.

I would not be stupid enough to choose a lesser program over MGH just because my wife will be able to get her medication more easily.

Have you ever seen a training program that doesn't offer spousal health insurance?

Can you post them, so others can avoid them, too?

Lahey Clinic
MHMC - Dartmouth
University of Chicago
University of Oklahoma
University of Tennessee

UMass, UNC, Jackson, and Virginia Commonwealth offer insurance but does not help pay any of it, at which point you might as well have Obamacare.

Multiple have that line blank but no other insurance line blank, so you can extrapolate whatever you'd like. I also did not search through the website of every program too special to publish their stuff on FREIDA. Behold at least five programs that think you shouldn't be married.

Lahey Clinic
MHMC - Dartmouth
University of Chicago
University of Oklahoma
University of Tennessee

UMass, UNC, Jackson, and Virginia Commonwealth offer insurance but does not help pay any of it, at which point you might as well have Obamacare.
I don't believe it until I see it. I have never seen a medical job that doesn't allow spousal coverage (plus kids). Obviously, not for free.

I looked at Chicago, out of curiosity, and it clearly says you can enroll eligible family members. Here: http://www.uchospitals.edu/pdf/uch_008665.pdf
Multiple have that line blank but no other insurance line blank, so you can extrapolate whatever you'd like. I also did not search through the website of every program too special to publish their stuff on FREIDA. Behold at least five programs that think you shouldn't be married.
Based on your obviously unresearched data, I am pretty convinced you are wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
I think (??) he is talking about fully funded insurance for residents. I have that in fellowship, didnt in residency but it wasn’t a gigantic expense.

Again I’ve never heard of a place that’s just going to give your spouse or family insurance for free, which I think is what you’re alluding too.

Or you’re a bitter, trolling M4 who clearly needs something better to do. Sad!

FYI Hopkins gives all residents in the hospital free health insurance for whole families with a deductible of $150.

FYI Hopkins gives all residents in the hospital free health insurance for whole families with a deductible of $150.
They probably compensate for it with a lower salary. There is no free lunch.

I don't believe it until I see it. I have never seen a medical job that doesn't allow spousal coverage (plus kids). Obviously, not for free.

I looked at Chicago, out of curiosity, and it clearly says you can enroll eligible family members. Here: http://www.uchospitals.edu/pdf/uch_008665.pdf

Based on your obviously unresearched data, I am pretty convinced you are wrong.

Apparently FREIDA lies.