bring baby to hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoonDoc23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, tonight I got called to admit an elderly lady to the hospital. She couldn't walk, presumably from a uti. I'm breastfeeding a five month old and they called me two hours before his next feed ( I take call from home, five minutes from the hospital). I put the baby down early with my sleeping husband, and I didn't try to feed him. Husband called me later with a crying baby, asking when I was coming home ( he has to get up at 2:30 am to go to work). I couldn't help but wonder, would I have gotten away with bringing baby with me to the hospital? He was quite chill when he was hanging out with me, and the patient sounded non contagious. The baby likely would have been quite chill in my moby wrap. How might the patient and her family have reacted? I told the night nurse I was thinking about it. She said she thought it would have been fine..... I'm tempted to strap him to me and bring him along next time...of course, I could also try feeding him before I put him down with my trying to sleep husband...

Members don't see this ad.

I think you would be fine. You are an attending and you have a newborn and a life. You are the bottle, I would think as long as the baby isn't screaming when you are trying to do your admit, no one would care. Nurses would probably hold the baby for you anyway.

I think you would be fine. You are an attending and you have a newborn and a life. You are the bottle, I would think as long as the baby isn't screaming when you are trying to do your admit, no one would care. Nurses would probably hold the baby for you anyway.
Thanks for the quick reply. Yea, I am the bottle. I feel I messed with my milk supply while I was gone. Husband gave baby eight ounces of formula to try and quiet him in the hour and a half I was away. That's a lot if formula. I tried to pump when I got back, but I only got two ounces. It would have been better for bf if I brought baby with me....I might just do it next time!

Members don't see this ad :)
You may be able to work it out with the nursery to leave the baby there in a crib while you do your work so he/she would not be in the way but would be close with feeding time.

You may be able to work it out with the nursery to leave the baby there in a crib while you do your work so he/she would not be in the way but would be close with feeding time.
Our hospital doesn't do ob or PEDs. No nursery. Its a twenty bed critical care access hospital

I am pretty late for this but...

In residency I became a "single father" - because of that, I've had to take my son to various locations during the residency and after - for the last 4 years. He has been to the ER, the floor, the nursery, the L&D, my clinic. He would not go into patient rooms, and would wait for me at the nursing station, and the nurses mostly love it. I have never gotten a complaint or a "warning" - and he behaves well.