Bringing significant other with you to dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DragoBlue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to be bringing along your significant other to dental school with you? I know i know, we might not see each other for long periods of time and yes there will be trying times. Has anyone had any experience with this or know anyone that went through this?

Members don't see this ad.

Sure it's possible! But if it'll work out is more of a case-by-case basis. I am only two weeks into school, but it's been OK so far for me; my girlfriend moved across the state with me and got a job about a month before school started. Her brother had recently gone through med school, and she saw how many hours of work went into that, so she knew what to expect with me. I'm in class while she's at work, and I study every night in our office, but we make time to eat and watch jeopardy together. We've tried to make one weekend night "closed book" and just focus on hanging out and enjoying each other's company. It works for us, may not work for you. Many of my classmates have LDRs, which personally I don't think I could maintain, but they seem to be OK so far. Hope this helps!

Nice! I'm glad it's working out for some people! Hopefully when my time comes me and my SO will be able to work things out as well.

Sure it's possible! But if it'll work out is more of a case-by-case basis. I am only two weeks into school, but it's been OK so far for me; my girlfriend moved across the state with me and got a job about a month before school started. Her brother had recently gone through med school, and she saw how many hours of work went into that, so she knew what to expect with me. I'm in class while she's at work, and I study every night in our office, but we make time to eat and watch jeopardy together. We've tried to make one weekend night "closed book" and just focus on hanging out and enjoying each other's company. It works for us, may not work for you. Many of my classmates have LDRs, which personally I don't think I could maintain, but they seem to be OK so far. Hope this helps!

Nice! I'm glad it's working out for some people! Hopefully when my time comes my SO and I will be able to work things out.

If you don't mind me asking though. Are you in-state student or out-of-state? How does she get to work and you to school?

Members don't see this ad :)
My husband moved across the country with me so I could go to dental school. It is working out very well for us, there are more career opportunities here for him and we could not imagine being apart for any length of time. You have to make sure that your SO is excited and you have to make them a part of the decision process for dental school. I actually let my husband pick which dental school I went to. It's all about mutual respect and understanding.

a number of my med school classmates have boyfriend/girlfriends move with them

I'm going to be bringing my whole family (wife, two kids). I'm not sure how people even consider NOT doing this, especially if you have to relocate actions country.