British BDS>DDS (funding!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BDSXXX

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I realise that this has been debated on here previously and I have done research before asking this but I can't seem to be able to find a relevant answer to my particular question.

For the record I am a mature (mid 30s) UK (British national) dental student who is shortly to graduate with a BDS degree. I have for some time now been interested in pursuing my career in the U.S. for personal/family reasons. I know that pretty much the only way to do this is to try and apply for one of the Advanced Standing/IDP programs and basically do half of my degree again. What I wanted to know was HOW people who come to the U.S. for this purpose are able to fund these programs? It just seems absolutely impossible to me that every single immigrant dentist (or doc!) who does these programs has either had a U.S. citizen willing to co-sign a federal loan (I haven't), or has had $200,000 in cash (I also haven't!)?

What would be ideal is if anybody on here has perhaps come from a country outside the U.S. with a dental degree and qualified with a DDS/DMD and did not have a U.S. citizen co-signer could advise on funding options or how they were able to achieve it? I understand that there are sometimes teaching positions available in which a candidate is able to lecture part-time and presumably do the IDP program alongside this? Does anybody have experience of this or know of anybody who has?

I know that a small number of British BDS graduates make this journey each year and I would love to have a chat with anybody who has done so!

Many thanks to anybody who replies in advance, any help is much appreciated.

C

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have US SSN?? If yes then start building your credit score. If your credit score is good enough then you may get private loans at decent rate. Friend of mine was able to secure loans without consigner. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Digant, many thanks for your reply! I don't have a US SSN unfortunately. I am a British citizen and don't have a credit history within the USA :/

Instead of doing an IDP, you could first do a residency (GPR) which will pay you too - do some research about residency programs that accept international students and pay too (pass search engine). What is your visa status?

Hi PraUK, thanks for the reply! I haven't yet applied for a visa as I've been under the impression that one has to have the funds to fully cover the 2 years of IDP plus living costs etc before you can travel? Does the GPR allow you to eventually qualify a BDS to a DDS? I thought that you could only actually practice unrestricted with a US university issued DDS?

Only in some states, you will have to do the research, I know Virginia has an easier qualifying process for international dentists. My advice to you would be to do some research on the qualifying process for the states you want to practice in (call the state dental boards). You will have to show funds to get a place in a dental program/for getting a student visa (if you have a cosigner in the USA, you can get a private loan). Also I should point out the IDP programs are really competitive and its essential to have a good GPA and a things like research/work experience are weighted heavily. Good luck and please feel free to ask more questions :)