Brooklyn Hospital Center Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trajan

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
You always hear about SUNY Brooklyn (Downstate) and a little less often New York Methodist, but no one ever mentions the other EM residency in Kings County: Brooklyn Hospital Center. Did a search of the archives and found virtually nothing.

I know that it is a 1-4, but does anyone know if Brooklyn Hospital is a good place to train, how competitive it is, what kind of neighborhood it's in, etc.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about the hospital's program, but it's in downtown brooklyn, an area that's changed greatly in the past 8-10 years. The particular neighborhood, Fort Greene, is now fairly gentrified and not as bad ass as it once was.

That being said, there's still a broad range of people and socio-economic levels. I don't think there's much trauma anymore, but the residents do trauma rotations at Brookdale Hospital, a level I trauma center that's really fun! The stuff I saw there during a 4th year elective is what good stories are made of...gun shots all day, stabbings, drunk/stoned people hit by speeding cars, crazy illnesses, it's a total madhouse.

The residents I've met from there seem to be happy, but I don't really know much more. But all 3 programs in Brooklyn; NY Methodist, Brooklyn Hosp., and Kings County seem to be extremely competitive.

skeezixdoc said:
That being said, there's still a broad range of people and socio-economic levels. I don't think there's much trauma anymore, but the residents do trauma rotations at Brookdale Hospital, a level I trauma center that's really fun! The stuff I saw there during a 4th year elective is what good stories are made of...gun shots all day, stabbings, drunk/stoned people hit by speeding cars, crazy illnesses, it's a total madhouse.

I can attest to this as I work in the ED at Brookdale. Residents from all three programs rotate for trauma and Methodist rotates for Peds ER. Definitely more than enough trauma(both penetrating and blunt) at Brookdale. :scared: